Formula One: 2018 Season News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018 | 08:45 AM

I don't think it's sold out before.
It's a $$ jump from standard grandstands to real seats & a huge jump to T1 & front straight.

I'll just do a new turn each year & keep working my way up the $$ ladder.
Old 04-27-2018 | 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

which is why I suggested scalping-people holding on to tickets too close to the race start getting nervous and sell them cheeeeeep. That's how I got 2 passes to the roof of the Hotel Hermitage for the price of one on GP Day in Monaco.
Old 04-27-2018 | 09:08 AM
AZ Community Team

McLaren: Tim Goss removed from chief technical officer position

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/43904342
Old 04-27-2018 | 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
which is why I suggested scalping-people holding on to tickets too close to the race start getting nervous and sell them cheeeeeep. That's how I got 2 passes to the roof of the Hotel Hermitage for the price of one on GP Day in Monaco.
Good point, will have to keep that in mind for next year.
Old 04-28-2018 | 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

ESPN having the rights to F1 this year is an Abysmal mess. It should never have left NBCSN. It's not even enjoyable to attempt to watch this season. Trying to not find out the outcome of a practice/quali/race because they don't air it anytime close to when it is live or happens or simply not on, It is next to impossible unless you stay off the internet till it finally shows. This week there was/is NO airing of quali. At least on with my cable provider. Not to mention I loath the announcers from Sky. They seem like a bunch of uneducated (to announcing/the sport) idiots....
Trying to make fantasy pics this year involves me looking at times on the internet and not actually sitti ng down with a drink or coffee (depending on the time of day) and enjoying it.

Arg.... rant over.
Old 04-28-2018 | 10:20 AM
Race Director

Wow. Sorry to hear about the ESPN situation, which sounds FUBAR ....
Old 04-28-2018 | 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
ESPN having the rights to F1 this year is an Abysmal mess. It should never have left NBCSN. It's not even enjoyable to attempt to watch this season. Trying to not find out the outcome of a practice/quali/race because they don't air it anytime close to when it is live or happens or simply not on, It is next to impossible unless you stay off the internet till it finally shows. This week there was/is NO airing of quali. At least on with my cable provider. Not to mention I loath the announcers from Sky. They seem like a bunch of uneducated (to announcing/the sport) idiots....
Trying to make fantasy pics this year involves me looking at times on the internet and not actually sitti ng down with a drink or coffee (depending on the time of day) and enjoying it.

Arg.... rant over.
Streamed it online to my TV-no problem!

WatchESPN: Live Sports, Game Replays, Video Highlights
Old 04-28-2018 | 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Streamed it online to my TV-no problem!

WatchESPN: Live Sports, Game Replays, Video Highlights
I can Stream it too, but I'd rather have it recorded to the dvr when it is actually supposed to be on and be able to watch it. Still doesn't change the fact ESPN is a huge fuckup with it, and I can't stand high school jv sounding announcers.
Old 04-28-2018 | 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

oh I get you. Yeah, it's okay when the live event is on during normal hours like it was today at 9:00 a.m. It'll be a pain in the ass for Japan. By then though, the OTT programming will be available and subscribed to so it's a wait and see kind of thing. I don't mind the announcers, at leas they've actually driven an F1 car in the last 2 decades. I love commercial free though, that is fantastic.
Old 04-28-2018 | 09:44 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Sky is superior to NBC in every way. Better commentators, better coverage, better analysis, better access to the teams and drivers, better streaming, and no commercials.

I get that it's frustrating that qualifying was not on tv, but I normally watch it on streaming delay anyway.
Old 04-29-2018 | 11:44 AM
AZ Community Team

Crazy race to say the least, Red Bull debrief should be entertaining.

Grosain
Old 04-29-2018 | 02:02 PM
Rooting for Acura

Daniel is so leaving Red Bull. How much more of this can he take?
Old 04-29-2018 | 10:03 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Bizarro race.

Verstappen is always making two moves in the breaking zone. This time he didn't get away with it, unfortunately, Ricciardo was the victim.

Grosjean.
Old 04-30-2018 | 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by knight rider
Daniel is so leaving Red Bull. How much more of this can he take?
As talented as Danny Ricc is I just don't see him jumping in to a Ferrari just yet, at least not while Vettel is there and likely the clear #1 driver. He would be a happier racer over at MBZ and I'd love to see him there, great talent.
Old 04-30-2018 | 08:16 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Ricciardo to Mercedes would be very interesting. But I'm not sure Hamilton will try to botch that deal.
Old 04-30-2018 | 01:54 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Honda and Red Bull have opened talks about a possible future power unit supply deal for 2019, with a first official meeting taking place in Azerbaijan over the weekend.

Red Bull's deal with Renault is due to expire at the end of this season, with the partnership expected to come to an end after the French manufacturer – which has its own works team – took on McLaren as a customer. While Red Bull insists there is still a possibility of continuing with Renault next year, it also has the option of switching to Honda after the latter started supplying Toro Rosso this year.

In May, power unit manufacturers must inform the FIA of the teams it intends to supply the following season – although the reshuffle of supply deals between McLaren and Toro Rosso was confirmed in September last year – and that has led to the opening of official talks between Red Bull and Honda.

Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko visited Honda in the Baku City Circuit paddock for meetings this weekend, with Honda motorsport boss Masashi Yamamoto confirming a "positive" opening to discussions.

"Because it was the very first meeting, we discussed the conditions of both sides, what do we expect of each other," Yamamoto told F1.com. "It was the first discussion.

"Yes, it was positive. We do believe we were both satisfied. There's a good relationship between us. However, it's the first time we have an official meeting. It's the starting point for a potential future."

And Yamamoto says any deal would be to supply both Red Bull and Toro Rosso next season, which would mark the first time Honda has supplied two teams at once since returning to F1 in 2015.

"We have the obligation to present the documents on the 15 May to the FIA. It's something we are starting to discuss now and it has to be smooth between Honda and Red Bull. I want to use the time we have left to discuss with the Honda board members before I take the feedback back Red Bull to take the next steps.

"When we decided to come back to F1, the plan was not to just stick with one team but work with multiple teams. The board members are aware of discussions and there is a big respect for the relationship [with the Red Bull organization]."

Toro Rosso Honda has scored 13 points so far this season, including a fourth place for Pierre Gasly in the Bahrain Grand Prix.
Red Bull and Honda have begun discussions about 2019.

Hmmm. Red Bull-Honda?
Old 04-30-2018 | 03:25 PM

Rumor: Formula 1 to Trade Baku for Miami on 2019 Calendar - The Drive

Murray Walker's famous quip about the unpredictability of Formula 1was proven for the fourth consecutive time in the 2018 season, at Sunday's Azerbaijan Grand Prix, whose excitement rivaled that of the 2017 race, arguably the best of the season. In the wake of the race, however, rumors began to circulate that F1's third visit to Baku would be its last.

Dutch sports channel Ziggo Sport parroted via twitter the words of a closely-associated F1 journalist, Jack Plooij, whose translated quote suggests Azerbaijan could be ditched for Florida's largest city, Miami.

"This could well be the last GP in Baku, next year to Miami," Plooij was quoted as saying by Ziggo Sport.

Dutch F1 fan blog GP Fans expanded on Plooij's statements, stating the the circuit's pit boxes have allegedly been sold to Miami.

Miami is known to be a serious candidate for a Grand Prix. Commercial representatives of F1 visited the city in November to scout out six conceptual street circuit routes and discuss, and though city officials were receptive to F1's patronage, they admitted little funding was available to support hosting of a Grand Prix. Local opposition sprung up in response, citing the closure of streets, possible infrastructure upgrades, and noise pollution (ha) that could result from the race.

The Floridan urban center is in direct competition with New York City and Las Vegas to host Liberty Media's desired additional Grand Prix within the United States, with Long Beach no longer in the running. Los Angeles was at one point in consideration, but little evidence suggests that F1 will grace Hollywood with its presence. Between Liberty Media's known visitation to Miami and the alleged sale of hosting equipment to the city, it appears the city is pulling ahead of its peers. The announcement is alleged to arrived within a few weeks' time, so we need not wait long for the answer.

The Drive reached out to F1's communications office for comment on the allegations.
Old 04-30-2018 | 03:36 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

I don't mind the Baku circuit. Not sure they should get rid of it so soon.

Grosjean Indeed

Can't believe Vettel went for the lead so soon. Had he just sat back in the end it would have been his race. Was a bad move to attempt in my opinion. He and Ferrari should have a huge lead in both championships right now were it not for some poor choices on both parts.
Old 04-30-2018 | 06:51 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I don't like Baku. Half of the track is on narrow streets barely wide enough for two cars.
Old 05-01-2018 | 05:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Baku is a fun circuit to race on the simulator though another US destination would be a lot of fun.
Old 05-01-2018 | 08:40 AM

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...proved-f1.html

Formula 1 aerodynamics are set to get simpler in 2019 with one simple purpose in mind: to promote closer racing and more overtaking…
Following a presentation made to the F1 teams at the Bahrain Grand Prix regarding proposals aimed at promoting closer racing and more overtaking in the Formula 1 World Championship, the Strategy Group, the F1 Commission and the World Motor Sport Council yesterday approved a number of regulation changes for the 2019 season.

The changes, approved by e-vote, are as follows:
  • Simplified front wing, with a larger span, and low outwash potential
  • Simplified front brake duct with no winglets
  • A wider and deeper rear wing

The vote follows an intense period of research into the FIA’s initial proposals, which were made with the support of the F1 Commercial Rights Holder, conducted by a majority of the F1 teams. These studies indicated the strong likelihood of a positive impact on racing and overtaking within F1 and as such have now been ratified for implementation in 2019.

The approved changes are separate to the ongoing work being undertaken in regard to defining Formula 1’s regulations for 2021 and beyond.

In addition to the aerodynamic changes ratified on Monday, the FIA is continuing to evaluate a range of other measures aimed at encouraging closer racing and boosting overtaking in F1.

A raft of other measures have already been put in place for 2019, including an increase in race fuel allowance to allow drivers to race at full power for longer, the separation of driver weight from car weight to end the disadvantage of heavier drivers, and the requirement that drivers wear biometric gloves.

Ross Brawn, Managing Director - Motorsports (F1) says...

“One of the key episodes of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix was the collision between team mates Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen. I don’t want to comment on who might be held responsible or how a team should manage these issues during a race, but I do think the Steward’s decision to reprimand both drivers was the right course of action.

"But I would like to highlight a technical point. Once Daniel had settled for his line, and Max had changed direction blocking that line, the Australian became a passenger. The downforce loss experienced by Ricciardo in the wake of Verstappen’s car would have made it unstoppable. We often think of downforce applying in cornering, but the impact the extra grip has in braking is huge. Take away that grip in braking and what happened on Sunday was inevitable.

"Whilst this was a very severe example, it did highlight once more the need of finding a way to develop the rules to make the cars more raceable in these conditions.

"The decision of the Strategy Group and the F1 Commission taken yesterday, sanctioned by the FIA World Motor Sport Council, to approve a number of aerodynamic modifications, aimed at promoting closer racing and more overtaking for the 2019 season is definitely an important step.

"It’s also important to note that the decision has been taken after an intense period of research into the FIA’s proposals, which were made with the support of Formula 1 and, conducted by a majority of the teams. A good spirit, a good way of working together for a better and more spectacular Formula 1, which is what the FIA, Formula 1, the Teams, and most importantly, the fans want. Bravo."
Old 05-01-2018 | 11:00 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

If Max hasn't crashed, is it even a race?

Someone actually made a Verstappen countdown tracker.

Saw this on the WSJ today: https://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-w...ate-1525186648
Old 05-02-2018 | 08:29 AM

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...statement.html

Statement from Sean Bratches, Managing Director Commercial Operations, Formula 1:
“Earlier today the City of Miami Commission took an important step by adding an item to their upcoming agenda, that if approved, will make way to bring Formula 1 to downtown Miami next season. We appreciate the community’s interest in hosting a Formula 1 race and look forward to working with local officials and stakeholders to bring this vision to life.

"With over half a billion fans worldwide, Formula 1 is the greatest racing spectacle on the planet, and Miami’s status as one of the world’s most iconic and glamourous cities, combined with its robust tourism infrastructure, makes Miami the perfect destination for Formula 1 and its fans.”

Stephen Ross, US entrepreneur and supporter of the proposed race added:
“Miami is a first-class global city and Formula 1 is a first-class global brand. In cooperation with the City of Miami and Miami-Dade County, I am confident we can deliver yet another global event that will be a destination for people from around the world and drive economic value to South Florida. From football and soccer to tennis and motorsports, Miami deserves only the best in music, food, art, fashion, and sports and entertainment, and that is exactly what we plan on delivering with a Formula 1 race.”

Notes for editors

The exact timing of a Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix would be a matter for further discussion between F1, the FIA and the Miami authorities, but if approved we hope at this stage that the inaugural race would take place in October 2019.

Later this year, as part of a fan experience that has already seen us deliver F1 Live London last season, and the hugely successful fan festival in Shanghai, we will be hosting further fan festivals in Marseilles ahead of the FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE 2018, and of course in Miami itself, ahead of the FORMULA 1 2018 PIRELLI UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX in Austin Texas.

We will not be commenting further at this stage.
Old 05-02-2018 | 08:33 AM

I wonder if they would make it three races in a row then? Would it be Miami, Austin, and Mexico with no break since they are so close proximity?
Old 05-02-2018 | 09:34 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
I wonder if they would make it three races in a row then? Would it be Miami, Austin, and Mexico with no break since they are so close proximity?
That might be a bad idea. Didn't COTA's attendance go down after Mexico was added? I think grouping Miami with Montreal earlier in the season might be better.
Old 05-02-2018 | 10:55 AM

Just don't take COTA away
Only a 3 hour drive from home for me.
Old 05-02-2018 | 12:57 PM
Rooting for Acura

I tell you what, the powers-that-be at COTA should do proper track maintenance before this year's race. This track (as with any roadway or track) is becoming very bumpy. The MotoGP riders complained about it this year, again. F1 complain last year about it too. It's getting worse despite their efforts to fix it. If they can't afford the proper maintenance COTA may very well go the way of Leguna Seca.
Old 05-02-2018 | 03:54 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I don't think Laguna Seca lost MotoGP because of track maintenance, it was more of a financial issue. As long as COTA pays the bill to F1, it will stay on the schedule.
Old 05-02-2018 | 04:04 PM

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...aves-team.html

Sauber have parted ways with Technical Director Jorg Zander with immediate effect, just four races into the 2018 Formula 1 season…Zander only joined the Swiss team ahead of the 2017 campaign from Audi as Sauber carried out a restructure of the outfit following the arrival of new owners the previous summer.

He and his team overhauled the design concept of the 2018 challenger, the C37, and it has shown promise, with Sauber scoring points in two of the first four races.

But on Tuesday, Sauber announced Zander, who was chief designer for BMW Sauber between 2006 and 2007, “will stop working for the team with immediate effect”.

The team added: “Various heads of departments and the current project leaders will continue to work on the development of the C37 and the 2019 car with the supervision of [Team Principal] Frederic Vasseur.

"We would like to thank him for his dedication and we wish Jorg Zander all the best and success for the future."
Lawrence Barretto [Senior Writer, F1.com] says...
The timing of this announcement is far from ideal, given next weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix is the traditional point for teams to introduce their first major upgrade package of the season.

Sauber have made a good step forward this year, hauling themselves back into the midfield and in contention to score points so this news threatens to halt that momentum.

The team have spent the last few years restructuring the technical department, with Jan Monchaux joining last month as their new Head of Aerodynamics.

His predecessor Nicolas Hennel de Beaupreau moved to another role in the company as the team focused on getting the most out of their new, aggressive package.

This is not the first time Sauber have found themselves without a Technical Director. For large periods under Monisha Kaltenborn’s reign, a group of team leaders ran the department collectively.

It will be interesting to see if Sauber pursues a way forward without a figurehead leading the department or chooses to begin the hunt for a replacement.
Old 05-03-2018 | 05:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Sauber finally scoring points and they ditch a key person within the organization; last year's points total was 5, this year after 4 races, 10.

Oh and to register interest in the MiamiGP click here: Miami Working Towards Hosting a Formula 1 Race
Old 05-03-2018 | 07:54 AM

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-burn-loophole

The FIA has introduced a further clampdown on improving performance via oil burning by expressly forbidding Formula 1 teams from replenishing oil systems during qualifying.

Oil burning has continued to be a contentious subject in the paddock, despite ongoing efforts by the governing body to stamp out the practice by restricting consumption levels.

The intention of the latest clarification is to enable FIA technical delegate Jo Bauer and his team to properly monitor oil consumption during the session where teams have the most to gain by pushing the rules to the limits and boosting performance, especially on the critical laps in Q3.

The FIA has now made it clear that teams cannot add oil or transfer it from an auxiliary oil tank to any part of the lubrication system during qualifying.

While that raises the obvious suspicion that some teams may have been doing that to disguise higher consumption, sources suggest it is more of a pre-emptive strike from the FIA in to stop that possibility happening.

In a technical directive the FIA's head of single seater technical matters Nikolas Tombazis told the teams: "Following numerous discussions on the subject, we wish to clarify that in order to allow the FIA to monitor oil consumption during the qualifying practice session in a precise and timely manner, no oil may be added to the car nor may any auxiliary oil tank (AOT) be activated, i.e. there may be no oil transfer between an AOT and any part of the engine lubrication system.

"Exceptions to the above may however be granted on specific occasions following a request from the team concerned, any such exception will be made at the sole discretion of the FIA technical delegate."
Old 05-03-2018 | 10:41 AM
AZ Community Team

Inside McLaren: Secrets of Fernando Alonso’s unbelievable Baku drive

Old 05-03-2018 | 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^ read that article this morning, incredible what Alonso can do with a car.
Old 05-07-2018 | 09:12 AM

Very cool read about Alonso. Would be really nice to see him in a top competitive car.
Old 05-07-2018 | 09:17 AM

ESPN is treating viewers by expanding its coverage for next weekend’s Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix with the addition of more televised on-track action.

For the event from Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, viewers will be able to watch coverage of the first two F1 practice sessions of the weekend on ESPNU.

For the first four races of the season, coverage of the first two practice sessions was only available for viewing on ESPN3 via the ESPN App.

The third Spanish Grand Prix practice session, qualifying and the race will air on ESPN2.

After a 20-year absence, Formula 1 racing returned to ESPN and ABC this year as part of a multiyear linear and digital partnership. All 21 races in the championship will be televised on either ESPN, ESPN2 or ABC, with practice and qualifying sessions for each race also airing.

The race and qualifying telecasts, presented by Mothers Polish, are airing commercial-free.

The Spanish Grand Prix schedule (all times Eastern):

Friday, May 11
4:55 a.m. – 6:30 a.m.Practice 1 ESPNU
8:55 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.Practice 2 ESPNU

Sat, May 12
5:55 a.m. – 7 a.m.Practice 3 ESPN2
8:55 a.m. – 10 a.m.Qualifying ESPN2

Sun., May 13
7 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.Qualifying (encore) ESPN2
8:30 a.m. – 9:05 a.m.On the Grid ESPN2
9:05 a.m. – 11 a.m.Race ESPN2
7:30 p.m. – 10 p.m.Race (encore) ESPN2
10 p.m. – 12:30 a.m.Race (encore) ESPNEWS
Will be nice to be able to DVR everything and not have to use the WatchESPN app to watch any of it. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Last edited by CCColtsicehockey; 05-07-2018 at 09:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Chief F1 Fan (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018 | 10:16 AM
Azine Jabroni

If this is ESPN's plan for F1, we're in good hands. Really pleased with the recent coverage.
Old 05-07-2018 | 11:03 AM

Will have to check if I have ESPNU with YouTubeTV & add it to the DVR.
Old 05-07-2018 | 11:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Very cool read about Alonso. Would be really nice to see him in a top competitive car.
I wonder how Alonso would have been at Mercedes?

His contract with Ferrari was up in 2012, supposedly Mercedes approached him before Hamilton.
Alonso decided to stay with Ferrari for another 2 years, while Hamilton signed with Mercedes.
Old 05-07-2018 | 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Will have to check if I have ESPNU with YouTubeTV & add it to the DVR.
YouTubeTV does have ESPNU. However, so far I am not seeing Practice 1 & 2 show up so I can record them. Only seeing Practice 3, Quali, On the Grid, and the Race.

Extened my YouTubeTV subscription for one more month to keep evaluating. Liking it so far playing from a Roku.
Old 05-07-2018 | 01:26 PM

I like YTTV much better than PSVue. I can play YTTV directly through my TV, where I had to run PSVue thorugh my PS3.
Haven't had a chance to check the coverage to see if FP1/2 are there. May have to manually scroll through the channel guide.