Formula One: 2018 Season News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 05:51 AM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
At the very least, it seems pretty clear from the physical evidence that the halo did SOMETHING to alter the dynamics of the accident. To argue that it would've made no difference if the halo wasn't there, even in this particular incident, seems ... slightly wrong-headed, at least to me.

In any case, I'm glad we're having this debate/convo rather than a discussion about what more could've been done to better protect not just one of the sports up-and-coming drivers .... but all drivers ...
The following 2 users liked this post by nanxun:
Chief F1 Fan (08-28-2018), F23A4 (08-29-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 06:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,882 Likes on 3,492 Posts
More from Charlie W about the likelihood of Alonso's tire hitting Leclerc's helmet were it not for the halo:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...head-being-hit
Old 08-28-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
https://www.planetf1.com/news/stroll...is-very-harsh/

Lance Stroll has said he understands Esteban Ocon’s impending exit from Force India is “unfair”, but he still believes he is deserving of replacing him.

Ocon revealed at the Belgian Grand Prix that he does not have a seat at Force India next season as it is has been “bought” by the Stroll family.

This prompted both Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel to defend the Frenchman, while rumours circulated that Ocon could in fact be dislodged before the current season is finished.

After Lance’s father, Lawrence, completed his takeover of Force India, it is a matter of when, not if, Lance makes the move from Williams.

But, while he understands the harsh reality that exists in Formula 1, Stroll thinks he deserves more credit and that his driving ability, not his money, should be taken into account, too.

“I’m not arguing that point, but my results and what I’ve done in the past should have been acknowledged a little bit more,” Stroll told The Telegraph in an exclusive interview.

“It’s very harsh. Sometimes a footballer has more ability, potentially, than another.

“It just happens to be that one gets thrown in a shi**y club, and another with less ability gets a great pay cheque at a better club.

“I’m not disagreeing that the system isn’t entirely fair all the time.

“But I deserve more than just mention of the money that’s behind me. And it’s not entirely my father.

“Aside from him, I bring in partnerships with JCB, Canada Life, Bombardier. So, I think there’s a separation between my father and I, to a certain extent.”

Stroll is well aware that the imminent move will not sit well with others and does understand how the situation looks from Ocon’s perspective.

“Potentially, my father buying this team can make it a much better team, much more competitive. It’s not, in my eyes, a big negative,” he added.

“From Esteban’s point of view, it’s triggered towards me, because my father’s involved in Force India. Drivers from certain backgrounds will have their view on how things should be. Drivers with financial backing will think otherwise.

“If he takes me to Force India, that’s his choice, and I understand that for Esteban, that might not be great or fair.

“But I think that I deserve to be recognised more for the results I’ve achieved. I wanted to get that off my chest.”
Old 08-28-2018, 10:15 AM
Race Director

If Stroll does end up at RPFI, he'll have nowhere to hide driving next to Perez. Then we shall all have a better sense of where he really stands in terms of racecraft and driving skills.

That said, I still think such a move should happen over the winter break, or closer to the end of the season, but that's just me and my , which clearly don't matter next to Lawrence Stroll's tens of millions ....
The following users liked this post:
Chief F1 Fan (08-30-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 10:49 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,660 Likes on 2,494 Posts
So does Lawrence Stroll really want to own a succesful race team or does he just want a place for his son to drive? I think it will be really interesting once Stroll is put in an RPFI car either next race or two or even next year. How long does daddy let him race if he is proven to not be a good driver. With the current driver lineup they have it is already proven they can fight to be the best of the rest. Do you ruin that to give you son a driving job for that long?
Old 08-28-2018, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Daddy is not sole shareholder, Bombardier is another one and I'm sure there are internal protections to prevent a bad driver from being retained due to blood solely. Stroll bagged a podium in Baku last year, who knows, maybe he is much better than his current drives suggest. He is driving a shit pile of a car though.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:17 PM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...166804/?nrt=54

Formula 1's rear wings are set to be raised higher next year and the position of mirrors changed as part of a raft of measures that have been agreed to help improve driver visibility, Motorsport.com has learned.

The FIA has been looking into the rearwards vision problems caused by the current generation of cars since the start of the year.

Its work accelerated after a near miss involving Carlos Sainz and Sebastian Vettel in qualifying for the Austrian GP.

An initial push to impose changes for the Singapore GP was abandoned, but discussions with teams in technical regulations meetings (TRM) have now resulted in a raft of tweaks to the rules.

These changes still need approving at F1's next Strategy Group meeting and at the FIA's World Motor Sport Council before being put in the rules, but this is likely to be a formality.

The new rules will include the raising of the rear wing by 50mm in order to create a bigger window of visibility between the lower surface of the main plane and the top surface of the sidepod.

Furthermore, a more prescriptive mirror position will be laid out in the rules – with them being lower and more outboard to ensure they are situated in a better place for the drivers.

There will also be more stricter rules on mirror mountings to try to ensure teams do not put performance gains over safety matters.

The debate about the need for a change in the mirror rules resurfaced at the Belgian GP when during final free practice an unsighted Stoffel Vandoorne was accidentally pushed off the track by Valtteri Bottas, who said he could not see the fast-approaching McLaren driver.

When asked by Motorsport.com about how bad the current mirrors are, Bottas said: "For me, I think it is a bit more difficult than it has been.

"The main thing is the position of the rear wing, the size of the rear wing, and visibility for the mirrors. The wing is blocking part of the visibility directly back."

The planned raising of the rear wing will come at a time when F1 is already introducing a package of changes to help overtaking – with the rear already already set to be wider and deeper to make DRS more effective.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,030 Likes on 2,506 Posts
Spa needs to move the starting grid back so the 1st lap is not a chaotic drag race to the 1st corner and late braking mess that results in so much carnage.
Perhaps a another 100-200 meters would give some more space and time to sort out the 1st turn.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:21 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,068 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Spa needs to move the starting grid back so the 1st lap is not a chaotic drag race to the 1st corner and late braking mess that results in so much carnage.
Perhaps a another 100-200 meters would give some more space and time to sort out the 1st turn.

Also, the first corner is a 45 degrees turn. This slows up the cars alot more then typical first corners.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:20 AM
Race Director

So much for Kubica?

Rubles uber alles ....

Mazepin or Markelov to replace Stroll at Williams?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mazepi...l-at-williams/
Old 08-29-2018, 06:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
Also, the first corner is a 45 degrees turn. This slows up the cars alot more then typical first corners.
Malaysia, Singapore, Monaco, Canada, China, Bahrain all have a tight first corner. Drivers just need to exercise more discretion.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:19 AM

Yeah I don't think a change is needed. We need to stop changing the older tracks and have drivers be more cautious.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:30 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Yeah I don't think a change is needed. We need to stop changing the older tracks and have drivers be more cautious.
It's not changing the track layout, just the grid position.
Brands Hatch did it and starting accidents dropped in the 80's after some bad accidents.
One of the those ended Jacques Laffite F1 driving when he broke both legs in a pretty bad crash.

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Malaysia, Singapore, Monaco, Canada, China, Bahrain all have a tight first corner. Drivers just need to exercise more discretion.
AFAIK, no other grand prix circuit has a ~135o 1st turn. 90o, yeah quite a few few but none with the angle and radius of turn 1 of Spa.

Originally Posted by F-C
I think you meant 135o, but I understood what you meant.

Before the start on the grid Johnny Herbert repeated the distance to turn one from pole several times (~200m).
It's difficult to get that many cars accelerating and decelerating in that short a distance without some contact.
In 2018 both Ricciardo and Hulkenberg separately rear-ended other cars in braking zone causing more accidents.
00TL-P3.2 (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 10:38 AM

AFAIK, no other grand prix circuit has a ~135o 1st turn. 90o, yeah quite a few few but none with the angle and radius of turn 1 of Spa.
COTA has a >90* T1, but a lot more width & runoff, and a much longer run-up to the turn.

Monza with it's tight T1/T2 chicane, surprisingly doesn't have more carnage. Though there is the escape road straight-on.
The following 2 users liked this post by 00TL-P3.2:
Chief F1 Fan (08-30-2018), Legend2TL (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 10:39 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...166260/?nrt=54

The FIA has outlined the changes it will make to DRS zones for the remainder of the season.

As part of the governing body's push to help improve overtaking, it has already modified the DRS areas at a number of tracks throughout the campaign.

Now, ahead of a decision to lengthen the second DRS zone in Italy this weekend, F1 race director Charlie Whiting has confirmed plans for the final races with changes being made at four other tracks.

In Russia, the main DRS zone which runs down the start-finish straight and around Turn 1 will be extended.

In Austin, the DRS on the backstraight between Turns 11 and 12 will be lengthened.

The DRS zone in Brazil after Turn 14 will be lengthened by 100 metres, while both DRS zones in Abu Dhabi will be extended.

Although the ease of overtaking moves in Belgium led to questions about whether the DRS zone was too long, F1 race director Charlie Whiting did not sense that there was a problem.

"Spa is different, isn't it?" he said. "You saw in a lot of cases there, Sebastian [Vettel] got past Lewis [Hamilton] without DRS and that's simply because you get a better run through Eau Rouge. We always see it here don't we? It'll be different on other circuits."
Old 08-29-2018, 10:39 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...166892/?nrt=54

Formula 1 teams have approved a plan to introduce rear wing rain lights in 2019 in a bid to help make cars stand out more in low visibility conditions, Motorsport.com can reveal.

At the post-Spanish Grand Prix test earlier this year, Lewis Hamilton trialled a version of the vertical LED light strips as part of an evaluation study by the FIA.

The idea is that by having the extra flashing lights higher up than the traditional rain light fitted at the rear, there will be more chance of cars standing out in heavy spray conditions.

With the tests having proven a success in terms of the functionality of the lights, a proposal to make them mandatory for 2019 was put forward to teams during a recent vote at a technical regulations meeting (TRM).

With teams unanimously backing the plan, the necessary approval at the next Strategy Group, and then ratification by the World Motor Sport Council, should be a formality before the rear wings light are officially put in the rules.

Rear endplate lights are not new in motor racing, with them having already appeared at various times in the World Endurance Championship.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:43 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
COTA has a >90* T1, but a lot more width & runoff, and a much longer run-up to the turn.

Monza with it's tight T1/T2 chicane, surprisingly doesn't have more carnage. Though there is the escape road straight-on.
, I stand corrected. It's a ~135o turn as well pretty sharp turn

Old 08-29-2018, 01:04 PM

Not busting your balls, Spa is definitely a bit of a unique case, as it's a really short run into a very tight T1.

A quick Google measure shows the entry to T1 as below (measured at the start of the curb on the inside of T1).
La Source at roughly 50' wide with about a 815' run from P1 to T1.
COTA is roughly 90' wide with a 1,500' run from P1 to T1
Monza is roughly 30' wide with a 2,000' run from P1 to T1

A lot more room to get things a bit spaced out before T1 at Monza, but I didn't realize it's that narrow.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:40 PM

Yeah I think most of Monza is fairly narrow compared to other tracks if I recall. Not many places to overtake with todays wide cars cause of it.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:48 PM
AZ Community Team

Why Force India was 'thrown out' - Chainbear explains

10 minute video explans the Force India situation, new team and how everything (engines, money, name, points, ownership,...) was handled.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-29-2018 at 06:52 PM.
nanxun (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 09:36 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/v...167507/?nrt=54

Both Vettel and teammate Kimi Raikkonen drove the car as part of a demonstration event on the streets of Milan’s Darsena dockland area.

During his turn, Vettel understeered at slow speed into a plastic barrier, the impact dislodging the front wing and he was forced to reverse and then tour back to the makeshift pitlane.

Earlier, they were joined by Sauber’s Charles Leclerc and Marcus Ericsson, and Toro Rosso duo Pierre Gasly and Brendon Hartley.

Thousands of fans lined the streets to watch the F1 cars in action, with Sauber also bringing an older-spec V8-powered car to the show, while Bernd Maylander (Mercedes F1 safety car) and Giancarlo Fisichella (Ferrari FXX) also performed.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:43 AM
Race Director

Ouch.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:11 AM

Can't believe they used a current spec car for that
Old 08-30-2018, 01:00 PM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/v...wheel/3167624/

Vettel suffered a low-speed incident during the Wednesday afternoon demo, running wide into a plastic barrier and dislodging the car's front wing.

Though the car was liveried with his numbers, four-time world champion Vettel said he was using Raikkonen's car and steering wheel, which he says has a different clutch control.

"I apologised," Vettel said. "I went with the car and the steering wheel of Kimi, who had the clutch on the other side.

"I didn't think about it, and at that point I was too fast. I asked if it would be possible to change the wing to do two more laps for the fans.

"Obviously it was my mistake, but that's OK."

Having the clutch control on opposing sides, which will be down to each driver's preference and what they are comfortable with, is not the only difference between Vettel's and Raikkonen's wheels.

Vettel's has an additional paddle on the back for an unconfirmed function.

Last year, Vettel switched to a dual finger-hole clutch paddle arrangement, before reverting to the same single-clutch system Raikkonen kept for the whole year.

Both have retained the single-paddle set-up this season.

Though the crash marked a sheepish beginning to Ferrari's home grand prix, Vettel arrives at Monza as favourite after his victory in Belgium last Sunday.

He said: "It's a special weekend for us and the team and I feel it as well.

"We hope to give Monza great emotions and with this Ferrari I know that we can do a great race.

"For us this race is a championship. I know it has created enthusiasm for the fans and I hope to be able to dream with them."
Old 08-30-2018, 06:37 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Raikkonen's bad luck continues. Even without him driving.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:22 PM
Race Director

Kvyat in frame for shock Toro Rosso return

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/k...turn-/3167919/
Old 08-31-2018, 05:19 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm no Kvyan fan but would rather have him aligned with STR than Ferrari. C-ya
Old 08-31-2018, 08:06 AM
Senior Moderator

FP2-Ericsson!!! Shikeys
Old 08-31-2018, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 08-31-2018, 10:36 AM
AZ Community Team

^ hope Erickson is OK. Nasty crash.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:33 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

^ hope Erickson is OK. Nasty crash.
He walked away on his own. He should be okay.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:03 AM
Senior Moderator

cleared to race, made an appearance in FP3.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:22 AM
Race Director

Stoffel’s out at MCL for 2019, which clears the way for Lando Norris(?) to join Sainz, Jr.

meanwhile, talk of Leclerc replacing Kimi at the Scuderia has been rekindled... putting the silly back in silly-season ....

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lecler...-with-ferrari/

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/l...-seat/3170465/

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/v...eason/3170528/

Last edited by nanxun; 09-03-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator

I was surprised to hear this really in a way-Vandoorne has never had a decent care while there and how he stepped in for Alonso after his crash in Australia and scored 10th for the team was pretty impressive to me. Oh well, musical chairs time midfield.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Leclerc in or not at Ferrari? Some fuzzy logic in this article

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lecler...-with-ferrari/
Old 09-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Race Director

It's official ....

Norris to replace Vandoorne at McLaren in 2019

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/n...-2019/3170569/
Old 09-04-2018, 06:21 AM
Race Director

What's left to sort in F1's crazy 2019 driver market

F1 2019 line-ups

Confirmed

Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton, Valtteri Bottas
Red Bull: Max Verstappen, Pierre Gasly
Renault: Daniel Ricciardo, Nico Hulkenberg
McLaren: Carlos Sainz Jr, Lando Norris

Expected

Ferrari: Sebastian Vettel, Charles Leclerc/Kimi Raikkonen
Racing Point Force India: Lance Stroll, Sergio Perez
Haas: Kevin Magnussen, TBD
Toro Rosso: Daniil Kvyat, TBD

Seats up for grabs

Haas x1
Toro Rosso x1
Sauber x2
Williams x2
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-driver-market
Old 09-04-2018, 08:55 AM
AZ Community Team

Vettel and Ferrari better get their act together, they've had so many missed opportunities in 2018 that MB and Hamilton capitalized on. Kimi was slow on the start which also sorta backed up Vettel which allowed Hamilton to close up by the 1st chicane then pass on the second.
Was hoping to see Kimi win, but MB strategy worked so well to degrade his tires behind Lewis then Bottas. Not a fan of Hamilton's but MB and he keeps proving himself very well to work out strategy and tactics in most situations. Hats off to James Allison and the rest of the team.

Curious to see if Daniel Kvyat makes it back in a Toro Rosso next year, if he gets his emotioons in check he could make a very good comeback.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:16 AM

Ferrari should be winning the Championship right now had they not screwed up multiple races.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:13 AM

https://racer.com/2018/09/04/fry-ret...ring-director/

Pat Fry has returned to McLaren in the role of engineering director, eight years after he left the team for Ferrari.

Starting his F1 career with Benetton, Fry worked for McLaren from 1993 until 2010, rising to the role of chief engineer before joining Ferrari. Four years at Maranello saw Fry become director of engineering, before he left the team in 2014. He then worked with Manor as an engineering consultant before the team closed at the end of the 2016 season

As RACER reported during the Italian Grand Prix weekend, Fry had been in talks with McLaren over a possible return to Woking and he has now been appointed engineering director. McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown confirmed the news on Tuesday after announcing Fry’s return to the team at the McLaren Technology Centre earlier in the day.

The arrival of Fry continues a major overhaul of McLaren’s technical department after a poor 2018 season to date, with the Renault-powered MCL33 having picked up just 12 points in the past nine races.

Toro Rosso technical director James Key has already been signed to join the team in the same role but a start date has yet to be agreed for the highly-rated Englishman, and Brown also confirmed on Tuesday that McLaren will have to wait until next year at the earliest for Key to join.

“I think we’re in a pretty good place now,” Brown said. “We still need to kind of populate — i.e. James [Key’s] start — but Andrea Stella is leading all performance, setting the targets, and it’s for Pat as engineering director to execute, so it will ultimately be led by Andrea with Pat, the development of next year’s car.

“And then of course there’s lots of people that feed into that. Pete Prodromou from an aero, Mark Ingham and Neil Oatley from design, Simon Roberts the COO ultimately responsible for bringing everything together and Gil [de Ferran] on the sporting side but at the end of the day it’s Andrea and Pat who are going to drive next year’s car.”

Former racing director Eric Boullier and chief technical officer Tim Goss have already left McLaren as part of the changes this season, with chief engineer Matt Morris also being confirmed as departing at the same time Key’s acquisition was announced.
Legend2TL (09-04-2018)