Formula One: 2017 Season News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:58 AM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
It's a done deal.... Sauber and McLaren to Use Honda Engines in 2018 | F1 Fanatic

Last edited by nanxun; 04-30-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:59 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by nanxun
Great news for Honda, McLaren, and F1
Old 04-30-2017, 11:44 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,026 Likes on 2,504 Posts
I think Eddie Jordan should the podium host for more races this year.
And for his yin, we could have a yang being Ron Dennis being the other host

And poor Alonso to have no charging for hybrid system even before the start of the race.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 04-30-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I think Eddie Jordan should the podium host for more races this year.

And poor Alonso to have no charging for hybrid system even before the start of the race.
Toto's facial expression... priceless. Alonso's....

Old 05-01-2017, 08:47 AM
AZ Community Team

^ is it me, or does Bottas look like Buddy Pine (aka Incredi-Boy) from the Disney movie "The Incredibles"
Old 05-01-2017, 09:08 AM
AZ Community Team

Some random thoughts on yesterdays race

Nice to see Bottas get a win, a race or two ago I was gonna post that it looked like Bottas was gonna be #2 to Hamilton.
I decided to hold off and give him a a few more races, not every driver comes into a successful team like Jacques Villeneuve did at Williams in his first season almost winning his first race.

One of those no-typical weekends for Hamilton where he was off not only in qualifying but the race as well

I'd bet a month's salary that the brake engineers/techs at RedBull are getting their a$$'s chewed out this morning. Two races in a row where overheating brake failure took out one of their cars.

Also cool to see Vettel deflect attention away from asked about Massa blocking him on the last lap, instead Vettel put the attention back to Bottas paying tribute to his first win.
Vettel is the driver I've been most impressed with this season, he had a rough 2016 with Marchionne/Arrivabene throwing him under the bus despite he could have won a race buut for bad pit strategy by the team.
I doubt he'll ever have the same relationship with them as he did with Marko/Horner at RedBull but he's been putting in consistent performances and letting his driving do the talking (as opposed to last year where his temper got the best of him).
If anything with his contract up this year, I expect Toto to try to sign him and can also see Ferrari trying very hard to resign him.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:30 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,067 Likes on 767 Posts

Nice to see Bottas get a win, a race or two ago I was gonna post that it looked like Bottas was gonna be #2 to Hamilton.
I decided to hold off and give him a a few more races, not every driver comes into a successful team like Jacques Villeneuve did at Williams in his first season almost winning his first race.

One of those no-typical weekends for Hamilton where he was off not only in qualifying but the race as well

I'd bet a month's salary that the brake engineers/techs at RedBull are getting their a$$'s chewed out this morning. Two races in a row where overheating brake failure took out one of their cars.

Also cool to see Vettel deflect attention away from asked about Massa blocking him on the last lap, instead Vettel put the attention back to Bottas paying tribute to his first win.
Vettel is the driver I've been most impressed with this season, he had a rough 2016 with Marchionne/Arrivabene throwing him under the bus despite he could have won a race buut for bad pit strategy by the team.
I doubt he'll ever have the same relationship with them as he did with Marko/Horner at RedBull but he's been putting in consistent performances and letting his driving do the talking (as opposed to last year where his temper got the best of him).
If anything with his contract up this year, I expect Toto to try to sign him and can also see Ferrari trying very hard to resign him.
That was an exciting race. Maybe Vettel could have passed Bottas with just a few more laps, but we'll never know. It was a great race for Bottas with all the pressure from both Vettel in the race and from the criticism before the race.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:08 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by F-C
That was an exciting race. Maybe Vettel could have passed Bottas with just a few more laps, but we'll never know. It was a great race for Bottas with all the pressure from both Vettel in the race and from the criticism before the race.
Vettel's conduct and maturity have always impressed me; this weekend was no exception. Will be interesting to see how silly season goes this year. I'm happy for Bottas and to see more than 2 drivers getting into the mix. All of this bodes well for an exciting season of racing.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Race Director

Stef's definitely NOT a believer.... http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/honda-will-ruin-sauber-like-it-ruined-mclaren-1794802808
Old 05-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,491 Posts
I know Vettel deflected the question but who here things that Massa definitely should have gotten out of the way? I really think if he had Vettel would have passed Bottas or at least for sure would have had a chance to make a move. At the exact second he got held up he was only .7 behind Bottas.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
I know Vettel deflected the question but who here things that Massa definitely should have gotten out of the way? I really think if he had Vettel would have passed Bottas or at least for sure would have had a chance to make a move. At the exact second he got held up he was only .7 behind Bottas.
I guess I don't know. I understand Ferrari could be furious, but frontrunners always encounter traffic.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by kurtatx
I guess I don't know. I understand Ferrari could be furious, but frontrunners always encounter traffic.
I forget what race it was ealier this year but there was definitely another instance where Massa might have held up one of the Ferrai guys to help Bottas while Massa was a backmarker. Like Massa repects and is good friends with Bottas from their time at Williams and helps out where he can if only for a few tenths a second.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:39 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Massa should have gotten out of the way completely. He wasn't even racing against anyone at the time. It's hard to tell if he did it on purpose to help his friend or if he was just not aware that Vettel was right behind Bottas.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:39 PM
Azine Jabroni

I forget what race it was ealier this year but there was definitely another instance where Massa might have held up one of the Ferrai guys to help Bottas while Massa was a backmarker. Like Massa repects and is good friends with Bottas from their time at Williams and helps out where he can if only for a few tenths a second.
I suppose it's possible. If there is some sort of collusion going on in F1, they need to clear that out as soon as possible. There's nothing worse for a sport than the idea that the playing field isn't fair or is somehow rigged in one direction or another.

F1 still deals with this constantly with the fact that races are won in the wind tunnel and in engineering.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,881 Likes on 3,491 Posts
As someone said, Massa wasn't racing anyone, he should've pulled over and got the hell out of the way. Would it have allowed Seb to catch/pass Bottas by that point in the race? Doubtful but still, get the fuck out of the way.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:06 PM
Race Director

No f***ing way Massa "didn't see" Vettel.

Last edited by nanxun; 05-01-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Sebastian Vettel - Felipe Massa did Valtteri Bottas 'a favour twice' on final lap

Toto weighted in as well
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff went on to joke that he owes Massa a beer for easing the tension on Bottas' final lap, though he pointed out both drivers had lost time through traffic in the final chase.

"It wasn't all plain sailing for Ferrari either and obviously again backmarker traffic was an issue and sometimes it went against us and sometimes, like with Felipe -- thank you very much, I'll have to buy him a beer -- it was in favour of us. But this is how it goes."
It was poor sportsmanship and a d%^& move by Massa, I watched the video a few times and it's pretty evident Massa gave Bottas a nice tow and let him by easily, then stayed on the racing line for a couple turns blocking Vettel, until he sorta gave him room but really didn't as he only moved slightly off the racing line into that section of turns. Vettel was desparate and had to do that outside pass which turned into a inside pass on the last turn.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:41 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Yeah, after watching that replay again, it's 100% certain that Massa did it on purpose.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Ayrton Senna: Keeping his brand and legacy alive

Ayrton Senna: Keeping his brand and legacy alive - BBC News

Good article about the Senna foundation.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:48 AM
AZ Community Team

Agree they're former teammates but what surprised me was he did it to Ferrari driver and having been with Ferrari for 9 years shows maybe how former teammates are more important than former teams for Massa?
I doubt he'll be invited to any Ferrari events in the next few years.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:55 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Agree they're former teammates but what surprised me was he did it to Ferrari driver and having been with Ferrari for 9 years shows maybe how former teammates are more important than former teams for Massa?
I doubt he'll be invited to any Ferrari events in the next few years.
Massa hasn't been with Ferrari for four years. That's a long time, and I'd assume the current Ferrari team has few holdovers from back then.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:06 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F-C
Massa hasn't been with Ferrari for four years. That's a long time, and I'd assume the current Ferrari team has few holdovers from back then.
True, but Ferrari mechanics gave him a nice retirement sendoff last year at Brazil, and he did a nice video interview with his former Ferrari chief engineer before the Brazilian grand prix as well going over their long association.
I seriously doubt after blocking Vettel, they'll do anything when he probably retires this season.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Race Director

Pretty deep in the technical weeds, but worth reading, esp. if one's interested in the prospects of the newly inked Sauber-Honda deal....

Honda's F1 Troubles Explained | Racecar Engineering

"So it was clear from the moment that the new rules were announced that the Honda RA617H would be a significantly different design to the RA616H, but Honda wanted to do more than just develop a power unit capable of meeting the increased structural and reliability challenges of 2017 it also wanted to create a unit that made a major step forwards in performance. [...]

"Indeed it is the combustion technology that seems for now to be the weakest point of the RA617H’s design, Hasegawa has previously told the European media that the new combustion technology which worked extremely well on the single cylinder test bench is not working properly in the complete V6."

Last edited by nanxun; 05-02-2017 at 10:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 07:06 AM

I don't even care if Vettel had a shot to win it still is bugging me cause we were robbed of what could have been a really great last 1.5 laps of that race. Would have been nice to see if the pressure on Bottas with what probably would have only been a .5 or .6 of a gap would have caused him to make a mistake with a 4 time champion breathing down his kneck. Sadly we will never no. Lost a little respect for Massa on that stupid move. Seeing it again and again after the race makes it even more obvious. /

Is it time for the next race yet
The following 2 users liked this post by CCColtsicehockey:
fsttyms1 (05-08-2017), kurtatx (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 07:33 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by nanxun
"So it was clear from the moment that the new rules were announced that the Honda RA617H would be a significantly different design to the RA616H, but Honda wanted to do more than just develop a power unit capable of meeting the increased structural and reliability challenges of 2017 it also wanted to create a unit that made a major step forwards in performance. [...]
That's the same thing they were aiming for in the previous engine with the size-zero. It's amazing how incompetent they are these days.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Force India F1 >> Brabham F1 ??

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...f1-team-mooted

There are plans for a Brabham-branded supercar, which would be promoted by a new Brabham Formula 1 team, following the McLaren business model.

The project would involve the purchase of the Force India F1 team, which is doing well at the moment, but will soon be sold because the two owners both have serious legal troubles in India. The main protagonist, Vijay Mallya, was recently placed under arrest in England on an extradition warrant.

Mallya was released on bail but now faces an extradition hearing on May 18. His partner in Force India, Subrata Roy, has similar (but larger) troubles in India and has spent much of the last two years in jail. Neither of them can realistically continue with Formula 1, but they want between £200 million and £270m for the team, and so selling it has not been easy. Reports suggest that they may have to accept as little as £150m, although one of the bidders may be willing to pay over the odds to secure the sale.

The price of the F1 teams will only rise if the new owners Liberty Media is able to convince all the teams to reduce costs and to move towards a franchise model. If that happens, the value of the teams will skyrocket. As Formula 1 is now listed on the NASDAQ stock exchange, interest in the sport is growing, particularly in the US investment market, where sports franchises are deemed to be very valuable.

The Brabham revival is believed to be backed by money from US investors and the plan is for the Silverstone-based team to be rebranded and used to promote a supercar company. This would be similar in concept to McLaren's business plan, which has proved to be very successful in the course of the last 25 years.

David Brabham, the son of three-time World Champion Sir Jack Brabham, is a former Formula 1 driver and Le Mans winner, and also won the Bathurst 1000 in Australia and was twice American Le Mans Series champion. In recent years he has been quietly working on securing all the necessary Brabham trademarks, with what he calls Project Brabham. He is not denying that there is a project.

"Brabham is a brand with more than 69 years of racing heritage and it is our intention to see the name back on track," he said. "Since Project Brabham was launched, we have received a lot of enquiries from different parties who have expressed an interest in licensing the name and we are evaluating a number of options. We have no further comment."

Sir Jack Brabham was the only man ever to win the Formula 1 World Championship in a car of his own construction (in 1966). The Brabham team was started in 1962 and took part in nearly 400 Grands Prix, winning 35 of them and four World Championships with Brabham himself, Denny Hulme (1967) and Nelson Piquet (1981 and 1983). In 1972, the team was acquired by Bernie Ecclestone, who ran it until the late 1980s when he moved on to take over the commercial rights for Formula 1.

Force India finished fourth in the World Championship last year on a budget of only around £105m. More than half of its income derives from prize money, with an additional 40% from sponsorship deals, leaving the owners to top up the funding if it's required. If F1 team budgets are reduced, the money will become profit.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Force India F1 >> Brabham F1 ??
Interesting.... Perez and Ocon's performances as of late certainly aren't hurting the team's stock.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:55 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

There are plans for a Brabham-branded supercar, which would be promoted by a new Brabham Formula 1 team, following the Spyker business model.
Corrected.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:15 AM

It would be sad to Force India go but guess it is almost inevitable. It has been really cool to see their growth just in the limited time I have been watching.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

and to me it would be incredibly short-sighted for Force India to leave particularly since they are scoring points with both cars regularly. They're only 26 points behind RBR who obviously have a gigantic budget/team comparatively speaking.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:40 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

That report isn't saying Force India is leaving. It's just changing ownership and name.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by F-C
That report isn't saying Force India is leaving. It's just changing ownership and name.
Yes, exactly, and good (for the entire sport of F1) to move the unstable leadership of Mallya et al.--who could only remain on the lamb for so long--out of the picture. Hopefully changes in management/ownership won't disrupt the actual racing operations themselves.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:16 AM

That is my fear is if the team changes hands they will want to make some personel changes up top and the team is running so well.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:54 AM

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/f...o-moments.html

Forty years ago today, the team now known as Williams Martini Racing entered their very first event. They’d go on to become one of the most successful in history…

Debut race: 1977 Spanish Grand Prix

Having become disillusioned with life at Walter Wolf Racing, the team born out of his own Frank Williams Racing Cars concern, Frank Williams decided to start again, and in 1977 set up Williams Grand Prix Engineering with ambitious engineer Patrick Head. Based out of an empty carpet warehouse in Didcot, Oxfordshire, the team entered 11 races over the course of the 1977 season using a custom March 761 chassis. Belgian driver Patrick Neve was behind the wheel on each occasion, beginning in Spain (pictured above) where he finished four laps down in 12th. Things would only get better...

First race with own car: 1978 Argentinian Grand Prix

For the 1978 season, Williams produced their own machine – the Patrick Head-designed FW06 (so-called because earlier Frank Williams cars had already begun the ‘FW’ nomenclature). Tough Australian Alan Jones, a Grand Prix winner with Shadow the year before, was hired to lead the team’s one-car assault, beginning in Argentina where he qualified 14th before retiring with a fuel system failure. Results would improve rapidly: two races later in South Africa Jones was a fine fourth, and by the end of the season he’d bagged a podium finish in the USA and two fastest laps.

First win: 1979 British Grand Prix

Less than two years after launching, Williams became race winners - and at their home event no less. The team’s success at Silverstone was rooted in subtle modifications to the Cosworth-powered FW07’s underside, with extra aluminium panels significantly boosting the car’s ground-effect aerodynamics. All of a sudden Williams were way out in front and though Alan Jones dominated qualifying - giving the burgeoning squad their first ever pole - a water leak in the race meant that it was left to veteran Clay Regazzoni to deliver Sir Frank’s maiden win.

Best pole lap: Keke Rosberg, 1985 British Grand Prix

As qualifying laps go, they don’t come much more exhilarating than Keke Rosberg’s two flying efforts at Silverstone in 1985. The swashbuckling Finn was a driver with a reputation for laying it all on the line, but in an extraordinary qualifying session he pushed himself further than he’d ever been before, twice lapping the rapid Northamptonshire venue at an average of more than 160mph – then a new high-water mark for F1 machinery.

Quickest pit stop: 2016 European Grand Prix

Over the last few years Williams’ pit crew have established themselves as the best in F1, taking last year’s DHL Fastest Pit Stop Award in dominant fashion. In total, they set the quickest pit stop times at 14 of the 21 races, with their 1.92s tyre change on Felipe Massa’s car in Baku the quickest pit stop ever seen in Formula One racing.

Total wins: 114

Since Williams’ debut in May 1977, only two teams have won more races: Ferrari (who’ve won 160 in the same period) and McLaren (who’ve won 161).

Lowest winning grid slot: P8

On two occasions Williams have won from as far back on the grid as eighth, with Keke Rosberg the victorious driver on both occasions. The first occasion came in the Swiss Grand Prix at Dijon in 1982, while the second was in 1984 under the red hot heat of the Texan sun in Dallas, where the moustachioed Finn made full use of a water-cooled skull cap to keep his head.
16 different drivers have stood on the top step of the rostrum for Williams, but no one has done it more times than Nigel Mansell, who won his first race for the team in 1985 and his last in 1994. Fittingly for this most British of heroes, the country he won in the most was his own, with five of his 28 victories coming on home soil.

Last win: Pastor Maldonado, 2012 Spanish Grand Prix

Having taken a surprise pole on the Saturday (aided by Lewis Hamilton’s demotion for failing to provide a fuel sample), Pastor Maldonado stunned the paddock by taking an even more surprise victory in the race, coolly soaking up incredible pressure from tenacious home favourite Fernando Alonso to give the Grove-based team their first victory in over seven years. Sadly the celebrations were cut short when a post-race fire engulfed their garage – and they haven’t won since.

Most dominant season: 1996

In 1996 Williams won 12 of the 16 races on the calendar as their driver line-up of Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve went toe-to-toe for the world title (with the former ultimately taking the honours). The Renault-powered FW18 proved so dominant that at the end of the season Williams had accumulated over 100 points more than main rivals Ferrari – quite an achievement with the old point-scoring system.

Most iconic car: FW14B

Still regarded as one of the most advanced racing machines ever built, the FW14B was the embodiment of Williams’ incredible pursuit of technical supremacy. Designed under the watchful eye of Patrick Head and Adrian Newey, it featured an array of cutting-edge technology, including traction control, anti-lock brakes, active suspension and a semi-automatic gearbox. Armed with this highly tuned beast, Nigel Mansell – whose attacking style suited the car down to the ground – won 9 of 16 races in 1992, as well as the drivers’ championship, while Riccardo Patrese added a further victory as the team swept to a fifth constructors’ crown.

Number of drivers’ titles: 7

Seven drivers’ titles is a mighty number in itself, but Williams might have had even more. Carlos Reutemann came within a point of the crown in 1981 after a disappointing final race in Las Vegas, while Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet both narrowly missed out in a dramatic 1986 season decider in Adelaide. And who can forget the controversial clash with Michael Schumacher at the same circuit that prevented Damon Hill from claiming the title in 1994?

Number of constructors’ titles: 9

Williams won their first constructors’ crown in 1980 – and followed it up with another title the following year. A switch to Honda power brought another pair of titles in ‘86/’87 with Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet at the helm, before Williams began their most lucrative engine tie-in to date with Renault – a partnership that netted five constructors’ titles in six years, the last of which was in 1997.

Fastest ever lap: Juan Pablo Montoya, 2004 Italian Grand Prix

It took 17 years for Rosberg’s monumental Silverstone average speed to be broken – and appropriately enough it was another Williams driver who did it: the similarly spectacular Juan Pablo Montoya, who lapped Monza at an average of 161.4 mph. Two years later the feisty Colombian went faster still at the Italian track, lapping at an average of 162.9mph (see above). It remains the fastest lap in F1 history.

Number of drivers to have started a race for Williams: 39

Drivers of 18 different nationalities have started a race for Williams, with Britain and Brazil providing the most. Jonathan Palmer (father of current Renault driver Jolyon) was the first Briton to race for the team, though he only had one world championship start for Sir Frank – the same as Mario Andretti (who made a one-off appearance in 1982), Martin Brundle and Jean-Louis Schlesser (who both deputised for a sick Nigel Mansell in 1988).

Longest serving driver: Nigel Mansell

As well as holding the record for most races started (one more than Ralf Schumacher), the hard-charging Brit – in many ways the archetypal Williams driver – leads the team in most other statistical categories, including wins (seven more than Damon Hill), pole positions (eight more than Hill), fastest laps (four more than Hill), podiums (three more than Hill) and races led (four more than Hill). He would have the most points too, but thanks to the change in point-scoring systems, Valtteri Bottas holds that honour.

Biggest winning margin: Damon Hill, Australia 1995

After team mate David Coulthard had embarrassingly crashed out of the lead while entering the pits, Damon Hill seized the initiative in Adelaide, finishing more than two laps clear of second-placed Olivier Panis – one of the biggest winning margins in F1 history.

Best individual performance: Nigel Mansell, 1987 British Grand Prix

There are many contenders that could go into this category – Damon Hill’s drive in the wet at Suzuka in 1994 is certainly another standout – but for sheer drama Nigel Mansell’s charging drive at his home race in 1987 is hard to beat. Faced with a 30s deficit to team mate (and title rival) Nelson Piquet, the bloody minded Brit roared back onto the Brazilian’s tail before passing him for the lead with three laps to go via the mother of all dummies. Heroic stuff.

Best debut: Jacques Villeneuve, 1996 Australian Grand Prix

Not content with beating Williams team mate Damon Hill to pole position in qualifying – becoming the first driver since Carlos Reutemann in 1972 to start from P1 on his debut – Jacques Villeneuve then led confidently in the race until he was forced to slow in the closing stages because of an oil leak. He eventually finished a fine second behind a relieved Hill, who he’d end up pushing all the way for the drivers’ title.

Most audacious overtake: Nelson Piquet, 1986 Hungarian Grand Prix

Rated by some as the greatest pass in F1 history, Nelson Piquet’s audacious sweep around the outside of Ayrton Senna’s Lotus - completed with wheels-on-the-grass, opposite lock flamboyance - proved the decisive moment in the historic first race behind the ‘Iron Curtain’. Turn 1 has witnessed many passes since, but none as breathtaking.

Biggest fallout: Alan Jones and Carlos Reutemann, 1981

Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet were hardly bosom buddies during their time as team mates – quite the opposite in fact – but in terms of the biggest single fallout between Williams drivers, it’s hard to look past Alan Jones’ rift with Carlos Reutemann in 1981. At the heart of the matter was Reutemann’s contractual status as number two, which required him to cede position to Jones – something he defiantly refused to do when the duo were running one-two in Brazil. Jones hit the roof and from then on relations between the two drivers were never less than frosty. According to legend, when Reutemann eventually moved to bury the hatchet, Jones reportedly replied: “Yeah, mate, right in your f****** back!”

Number of engine partners: 10

Williams have had 10 different engine partners since their debut in 1977, but their partnership with Renault stands out above the rest. They're yet to win with current power unit provider Mercedes, but who knows?
Legend2TL (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 08:56 AM

Legend2TL (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 09:00 AM

Formula 1: How did tiny Finland become an F1 giant? - BBC Sport

Formula 1: How did tiny Finland become an F1 giant?

An interesting bunch, the Finns.

For starters, the Finnish word for computer translates as "knowledge machine", while a Finn in a bad mood would be moping around like "a bear shot in the backside".

Perhaps most pleasingly of all, a passing Finn wondering after your sanity might question whether you are in possession of "all the Moomins in the valley".

Clearly, the Finns have much they can teach us.

It is certainly the case so far as motorsport goes, particularly Formula 1.The Nordic country may have a population of about five and a half million people, but that has not stopped them producing three world champions and - following Valtteri Bottas' maiden win at the Russian Grand Prix on 30 April - no fewer than five race winners.

Yet Finland's pre-eminence in F1 did not happen in a hurry. The arrival of the dashing Keke Rosberg on the scene in 1978 would eventually lead to Finland making a significant impact in the sport, but even he had it rough for several years.

Between 1978 and 1981, Rosberg managed just two points finishes, but a move to Williams for 1982 delivered him the world title - albeit after winning just one race all year.

Rosberg won four more races before retirement in 1986, but his influence on Finnish racing was far from over as before long he took charge of the careers of two rising young stars - JJ Lehto and Mika Hakkinen.

While Lehto's career stalled, Hakkinen's went into the stratosphere, delivering 20 race wins and two world titles before he retired in 2001 as the most successful Finnish F1 driver of all time.

And like taxis off a rank, 2001 just happened to be the cue for the next Finnish superstar to make his entrance.

Kimi Raikkonen famously arrived in F1 amid much scrutiny over his credentials, being awarded a superlicence despite having contested just 23 open-seater races.

Sixteen years later and still hugely relevant in F1, it's fair to say Raikkonen has answered his doubters.

Twenty wins and one world title in 2007 is perhaps scant return on his promise, but Raikkonen nevertheless retains cult status in the sport, built on a famed monosyllabic delivery that has made him the very epitome of the unflustered Finnish driver.

And as Raikkonen enters the twilight of his career, it would seem Valtteri Bottas - unexpectedly elevated into a race-winning Mercedes over the winter - has exactly what it takes to be Finland's F1 star for the years ahead.

So what is the secret of the Finns' continued success?

It's hard to answer this question without wading perilously deep into the waters of generalisation, but it does seem that the archetypal Finnish traits of fortitude and resilience have much to do with it.

The Finns have a word for this national characteristic - Sisu - a catch-all term dating back hundreds of years that, according to Finlandia University,describes "strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity".

They add: "Sisu is not momentary courage, but the ability to sustain that courage. It is a word that cannot be fully translated. It defines the Finnish people and their character. It stands for the philosophy that what must be done will be done, regardless of cost."

That's pretty high-brow stuff. Can a shared national trait really lead to sustained success at the pinnacle of world motorsport?

Maybe. Instead, there is a more simple explanation - and who better than the straight-talking Raikkonen to give it.

Asked what makes Finnish drivers so good, he once replied: "Our roads and long winters.

"You really have to be a good driver to survive in Finland. It is always slippery and bumpy."

Ah, that must be it.

Hakkinen's pass on Michael Schumacher at the 2000 Belgian Grand Prix - executed as the pair went either side of backmarker Ricardo Zonta - is widely regarded as one of the most thrilling overtakes in F1 history.

Reigning world champion Nico Rosberg certainly seems to think so, if this tweet from last year is anything to go by.

For anyone wondering, Rosberg - son of Keke - does not make this feature as he was born in Germany, has a German mother and raced under the German flag in F1.

So there.

How big is Finland?

Finland has done incredibly well to produce a decent amount of successful Formula 1 drivers considering the size of their talent pool relative to other countries. In fact, they boast more F1 world champions per capita than any other country.

The population of Finland is just 5.5m, smaller than the amount of people in London alone (8.6m) and 28 times smaller than the population of Russia (144m), which has produced just two F1 drivers - Daniil Kvyat and Vitaly Petrov.

Finnish people love their F1, right?

They do.

Finnish F1 drivers are treated like rock stars, although motorsport is not quite the most popular sport in Finland. That crown belongs to pesapallo - Finnish baseball.

They also love a bit of bandy, a sport that can be best described as being a bit like ice hockey.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:01 AM

Old 05-08-2017, 09:09 AM
Senior Moderator

As long as I live I'll never forget Hakkinen standing in the Canadian GP pits after the race (1991 or 1992) with a super dorky looking sweater on, leaning against the garage opening as if to say "hey, look at me, I'm an F1 driver!" as the masses passed on their way to the exits. I have a picture of that somewhere since we were seated in the golds across from the pits and jumped through a fire marshall's access to cross the track and walk the pits.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:51 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Teams are placing the larger number and driver's abbreviated names on the shark fin now. I don't see the point of this. Are viewers really that clueless when watching the races to need this?
Old 05-10-2017, 03:57 PM

With going to a yellow/black t-bar on the 2nd car, the quick distinguisher is harder to see & the camera doesn't always hold steady enough to catch the number.

Looks good on the W08, curious to see how other teams implement it.