Received 1,064 Likes on 764 Posts
So cool.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:55 AM

Received 5,281 Likes on 3,620 Posts
Yes, please! But make mine a MP4/4 Or an FW38
Old 09-02-2016, 01:18 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
Hey Legend, you mentioned Twitter - did you make a handle?
Old 09-02-2016, 01:18 PM
~HondaF1~

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Yes, please! But make mine a MP4/4 Or an FW38
Geezus YES!
Old 09-03-2016, 01:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,494 Posts
Jenson Button will not race in F1 next season

Jenson Button will not race in F1 next season - BBC Sport

i
nteresting strategy by McLaren/Dennis

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-03-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:43 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by R J Poseidon 6
Hey Legend, you mentioned Twitter - did you make a handle?
Gotta find it, I have a twitter account but rarely use it
Old 09-03-2016, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,855 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Link no worky but this one does Jenson Button to step down from McLaren F1 race seat in 2017 - F1 - Autosport

So that's 2 drivers today: Massa and Jense.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Link no worky but this one does Jenson Button to step down from McLaren F1 race seat in 2017 - F1 - Autosport

So that's 2 drivers today: Massa and Jense.
For some reason one has to to use the "link" icon while adding a web link a post now.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:46 AM
AZ Community Team

What Makes a Winning Team?

What Makes a Winning Team? - NYTimes.com

Formula One returns this weekend to the Italian Grand Prix in Monza, the spiritual home of Ferrari, the biggest and historically most successful team in the series. But with the formerly dominant Ferrari in yet another of its occasional periods of rebuilding, it seems that nothing other than a miracle could bring happiness to the team’s famous fans on Sunday.

Ferrari has not won a race so far this season, and the more nimble Mercedes team is steamrolling all competition again — with the exception of the surprising resurgence of Red Bull, which is the only other team to have won a race this year.

This situation raises yet again a recurring question: What, precisely, are the ingredients of a winning team in the world’s richest — and most expensive — sporting series?

The popular notion about success in Formula One is that money can buy success. This idea is often used by critics to denigrate the series as not being a sport, since a team budget, rather than athletic talent, decides the competition.

But then why is it that even though Ferrari receives the largest subventions from Formula One and generally has the healthiest budget — of nearly $300 million — as well as a vast staff, it is still struggling to regain the supremacy of its glory days?

What really makes for a winning team in Formula One: a large budget, a large staff, a combination of the two, or something else?

Several Formula One team directors said that in this elite racing series, just as in any team sport, what counts is teamwork.

“I put people above everything,” said Pat Symonds, the chief technical officer of the Williams team, which is the third-most successful team in Formula One history, behind Ferrari and McLaren.

“To me a racing team is about people,” he said. “It is about getting a bunch of like-minded people working together, being creative, being broad-minded, thinking out of the box. You can’t go and employ — no matter how much money you’ve got — you can’t just employ robots.”

“Numbers are important,” he added, “but if you’ve got really, really good people you make better decisions.”

Nevertheless, there is a link between a high budget and high-caliber people.

“It goes hand in hand, I would say: If you’ve got a lot of money you can have a good staff because you can pay them more,” said Günther Steiner, the team principal of the Haas team. “But I think it is a combination to have a fair budget and good people. And good people, it’s not only money that gets you good people, it’s a good environment, it’s good what you’re doing.”

Steiner returned to the series this season with a new concept for running a team. While most teams build the entire car and its parts in their own factories, Steiner has tried to buy from other teams as many of the racing car parts as the rules allow, such as suspension and drivetrain as well as the engine. The idea is to have fewer staff members, pay less and buy other people’s expertise.

Steiner knows firsthand what it means to fail by having everything and throwing money and people at a Formula One program. He worked at Jaguar in 2001 and 2002 after the team had quickly ballooned into a huge structure in the single year after Ford bought the team from Stewart and renamed it Jaguar.

“I can tell you what happened at Jaguar because I had to let the people go,” Steiner said. “At the time, I think it was about 270 staff members when I got there, and Ford and everybody said, ‘Firstly, I need people, I need people, then we go and win.’ They just employed people, and I got there and we had to clean up. And that’s never a nice job.”

“They just threw people at it,” he added, “but nobody really knew when I got there who was doing what.”

Before the global financial crisis of 2008, most of the top teams had let their staffs grow from the mid-1990s levels of barely 200 to 1,000 or more. In addition to Jaguar, there were teams like Toyota, which, racing from 2002 to 2009, had a huge staff and an annual budget that had reached half a billion dollars.

The financial crisis required immediate action in the series to reduce staff sizes and team budgets. But some teams — including Toyota and Honda — just quit Formula One. In recent years, staff sizes have crept up again, with Ferrari at close to 1,000 — including the engine manufacturing part of the company — and Mercedes at around 800.

But some teams, like the last-placed Manor, are still at the low levels of the 1990s. Dave Ryan, Manor’s sporting director, said that size alone definitely is not a virtue.

“I think you would find that some of the teams that are massive, with big budgets, probably wish that they weren’t quite so big,” said Ryan, who worked for decades at McLaren.

“It’s a big mouth to feed,” he added. “But it’s a problem with successful teams. Because you have loyalty as well, and you have people that have grown up with the team, and you want to be loyal to them so you find places for them within the business as you get bigger.”

“It’s all about getting the best return you can from the money that you have,” he said.

Symonds said that teams with smaller staff and budgets have to be much better at pinpointing what needs to be done. But that is also where having the right people pays off.

“Unlike the Mercedes and the Ferraris and Red Bulls of this world, we can’t scattergun,” Symonds said, referring to choosing what aspects of the car to develop. “We can’t just go on every approach. We have to be selective.”

“Numbers are important, but if you’ve got really, really good people you make better decisions,” he added. “Let’s say there are 10 avenues that we would like to investigate. And those same 10 avenues Ferrari want to investigate. Ferrari might have to say, ‘Well let’s take eight of them’ because we haven’t got enough people to do all 10. And Williams says, ‘Well let’s do three of them.’ Well, there is a hell of a trick with being able to choose the right three. And that’s down to people. And I don’t mean me. I mean our engineering group who say, ‘Look, this is where we should be looking.’ So having the right people is more important than having lots of people.”

But getting good people and more people is also something that depends on the team and where its current ambitions lie. Steiner said that a new team like his, Haas, would not attract some of the best people, such as James Allison, who last month left his post as Ferrari technical director after three years of trying to rebuild the team.

“James would not be happy, because he cannot do what he is used to doing,” Steiner said. “Because he is used to having 800 people. Our plan is not to have 800 people.”

Steiner also pointed out that simply adding numbers of people to a team would not be productive either.

“Throwing a hundred people in the short term could be bad for us,” he said. “Because we would mess up everything that we are doing.”

He said that if he hired more people, it’s possible that the expanded staff would want to develop in areas where the team already had a good program. For example, he said new employees might suggest that the team build its own suspension parts rather than buy them from Ferrari, as it does now. But then the team would have to test the suspension, and invest even more money to do so. In the end, would the suspension be better than what is purchased already made and tested?

In fact, because of its practice of outsourcing, Haas has the smallest staff of the 10 Formula One teams, with about 110 people. This has naturally allowed the team to keep the budget lower.

In an article in Autosport magazine in June, it was estimated that a team needed 220 million pounds, or about $290 million at current rates — an estimation made before the Brexit vote lowered the value of the pound — to build a winning Formula One car. It broke down the costs into staffing, building the car, research and development and running the car, which means going racing.

Although a certain level of budget is necessary to compete with the best on the grid, it is still not so easy to say that budget is everything, Symonds said.

“I don’t like to just blame budget,” he said. “I’m not saying that to beat Mercedes you have to spend $250 million. I really, really don’t believe you do. But I guess all of us are — and I bet even Mercedes and Ferrari are — saying, ‘I wish we had a few more people to look at this and that and the other.”’

But Ryan suggested that staff and budget need to grow slowly, in the right way.

“In terms of head count, we are still way under,” he said of Manor. “We’ve got to be really careful we don’t just grow for the sake of it. We’ve got to take our time to grow, we’ve got to pick the areas that we need to grow in, that we’re going to get the best return out of, we’ve got to put a huge effort in to make sure we get the right people.”

And doing that, according to Symonds, is where the secret of the challenge lies.

“Unless you are on the sharp end of this business, it’s very hard to believe how difficult it is,” he said. “One incorrect decision and you live with it for months as you try and develop the car.”

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-04-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Now here's something significant!!

Alonso got fast lap at Monza today!!

Monza stats - Alonso gives Honda first fastest lap for 24 years
Old 09-07-2016, 12:21 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Speculation Mounts That F1 Is Poised for a U.S. Takeover - Bloomberg

Speculation Mounts That F1 Is Poised for a U.S. Takeover

September 6, 2016

(AP) -- Speculation is mounting that Formula One is about to be revamped by a U.S. takeover that could bring new life and a higher profile for a sport that is struggling to attract new fans.

Media reports suggest that F1's largest and controlling shareholder, the hedge fund CVC Capital Partners, is preparing to sell the business to U.S. media conglomerate Liberty Media for around $8.5 billion.

At last weekend's Italian Grand Prix, Formula One's commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone met with CVC co-chairman Donald Mackenzie, whose rare appearance in the paddock fueled speculation of an imminent deal. When speaking at Monza, however, the 85-year-old Ecclestone would not confirm whether or not a sale is going ahead.

Liberty, a multi-billion dollar, mass-media company is run by 75-year-old John Malone. He is ranked 184th on the Forbes list of billionaires — 69th in the U.S. — with a net worth of $7.1 billion, and Forbes credits him as being the "nation's biggest individual landowner, with over two million acres across seven states."

Malone would not be a newcomer to the high-end world of sport, since Liberty owns Major League Baseball side Atlanta Braves.

Reportedly, with Malone in charge, F1's new chairman would become Chase Carey, the executive vice-chairman of 21st Century Fox.

Despite its American base, Ecclestone was skeptical as to whether a takeover by Liberty would increase F1's success in the United States, which currently hosts only one of 21 races on the calendar and has no drivers competing in the championship. The only U.S. representative on the grid is the U.S.-backed Haas team, which arrived in F1 this season and has done reasonably well thanks to experienced French driver Romain Grosjean.

"To open the American market you need to have 10 races in America, sell tickets cheap and have a huge number of hamburger stands — but then it would not be F1 any longer," Ecclestone told F1.com, the sport's official website. "But if all that scenario of the takeover is happening, then they can do what they want."

CVC is F1's biggest shareholder with a 35.5 percent stake, followed by U.S. fund manager Waddell & Reed with just over 20 percent. Ecclestone has 5.3 percent stake in F1 but his family Bambino Trust has a further 8.5 percent, rounding up his involvement up to about 14 percent.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:45 AM
AZ Community Team

2017 tire and car looks -

The 2017 car/tires look great says Tony the Tiger

GALLERY - A glimpse of F1 2017 - Pirelli tyre testsing - ESPN

Old 09-07-2016, 11:43 AM
AZ Community Team

Bernie Ecclestone: Formula 1 boss says 'to stay for three more years' after takeover

Bernie Ecclestone: Formula 1 boss says 'to stay for three more years' after takeover - BBC Sport

Most team boss's I suspect can't wait for Bernie to be gone, although F1 has gained prestige Bernie has reaped the rewards far more than the teams have gotten percentage wise.
His presence is overbearing and frankly he never takes any blame for the poor decisions that have been made in the past decade.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/37284386

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-07-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:31 AM
Senior Moderator

SOLD!!

Formula 1 group sold > F1 News > Grandprix.com
Old 09-08-2016, 07:00 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
A shame to hear about the mop headed muppet Bernie though. Someone needs to humanely put that dog out to pasture.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:52 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Unfortunately, this will probably mean even higher ticket prices and cable fees for the new owner to recoup the cost.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:17 AM
~HondaF1~

As long as they don't f@ck up like MotoGP did and go to the BeIn Network.

I loooove MotoGP but refuse to pay an additional $120 a year. F. That.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:09 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

As long as they don't f@ck up like MotoGP did and go to the BeIn Network.

I loooove MotoGP but refuse to pay an additional $120 a year. F. That.
Fortunately, I get Bein as part of my cable package.
The person that bought F1 also owns the Discovery Channel. So there is a possibility that F1 might move there eventually.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
Fortunately, I get Bein as part of my cable package.
The person that bought F1 also owns the Discovery Channel. So there is a possibility that F1 might move there eventually.
Hmm. That is interesting.

Imagine if you will... making F1 *more* accessible to the general population. Almost to have the effect of gathering eyeballs and then selling advertising options to *other* companies to put in front of those eyeballs...

Nah, that'll never work. Should probably just charge more for the small and dwindling group of fans that are already present.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:06 PM
~HondaF1~

I won't do it. They get enough of my $. I'll go to a local bar & enjoy!
Old 09-12-2016, 08:53 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Bernie Ecclestone's future might not be as secure as it was earlier thought.

US media tycoon John Malone, whose 'Darth Vader' nickname was coined by Al Gore, was understood to have signed the F1 supremo to a new three-year deal as he moved to take over the sport's commercial rights from CVC.

But Germany's Auto Bild claims that Ecclestone, 85, and 75-year-old Malone may already have clashed, with the current F1 chief executive now set to vacate his role after November's season finale in Abu Dhabi.

The same report said Malone and Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne are also clashing, with the former wanting to end the fabled Italian team's special annual bonus payments.

"Sue me!" Malone is quoted as having told Marchionne during recent negotiations. "I have the time and the money."

But not everyone is unhappy with the deal.

Auto Bild said Mercedes chairman Dieter Zetsche is interested in Malone's offer that teams be able to buy into the commercial rights.

Mercedes is said to want 10 per cent, ahead of a forthcoming meeting between Zetsche and his Renault and Ferrari counterparts Carlos Ghosn and Marchionne.

But another top team, Red Bull, is reportedly hesitating.

"We have to think about the price-performance ratio," an official is quoted as saying. "If it is too expensive and with little influence, an engagement would not make sense."

Meanwhile, Bild newspaper reports that Malone's Libtery Media wants race ticket prices to drop dramatically to about EUR 150 million for a weekend pass, whilst adding more European races to the calendar.

Some big changes if these rumors are correct. All good developments if you ask me. Especially with the lowering of race tickets. Hopefully that 150 million for a weekend pass was a typo though.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:46 AM
~HondaF1~

Gotta find it, I have a twitter account but rarely use it
If you find it, follow me @RyanLores & let me know so I can follow you back
Old 09-13-2016, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C

Some big changes if these rumors are correct. All good developments if you ask me. Especially with the lowering of race tickets. Hopefully that 150 million for a weekend pass was a typo though.
I really hope the butting of heads already doesnt take a turn for the worse and make the sport worse.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:25 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,650 Likes on 2,488 Posts
Mercedes active suspension trick revealed > F1 News > Grandprix.com
The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 12:01 PM
AZ Community Team

If you find it, follow me @RyanLores & let me know so I can follow you back
OK, as soon as I find it (gotta remember which email I used )

Originally Posted by F-C

, yeah I'm hoping Bernie is out and the teams get more money and Ferrari loses their extra bonus.

Thx, interesting. I woulda thought the FRIC FIA rules would have worked there but I guess this is not front rear?
Old 09-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Senior Moderator

, yeah I'm hoping Bernie is out and the teams get more money and Ferrari loses their extra bonus.

Where's that unfriend button?? Whoops, wrong place.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:01 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Lower the ticket prices => No more bonus to Ferrari

Old 09-16-2016, 09:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Former McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh a contender to take over Bernie

Former McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh a contender to take over Bernie Ecclestone's F1 responsibilities | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-18-2016, 06:12 PM
AZ Community Team

:gheyhug:

Where's that unfriend button?? Whoops, wrong place.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:24 AM
AZ Community Team

Go Pick Up Debris, They Said; It'll Be Safe, They Said

WTF, release the cars after a safety while a track marshal is still on the inside line for a turn

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pick-debr...233008732.html
Old 09-19-2016, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Kinda funny
Old 09-19-2016, 11:07 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Run Forest, run!!!
WTF, release the cars after a safety while a track marshal is still on the inside line for a turn

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pick-debr...233008732.html
Old 09-19-2016, 04:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Chase Carey: New Formula 1 chairman says sport 'can't be a dictatorship'

Chase Carey: New Formula 1 chairman says sport 'can't be a dictatorship' - BBC Sport

Hoping Bernie's days as F1 CEO are coming to a end
Old 09-20-2016, 09:49 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Please let Bernie be put out to pasture.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:49 AM
Senior Moderator

The FIA is investigating the marshal incident and different sources are reporting Bernie and Carey already are not on the best of terms.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:32 AM
~HondaF1~

Check it dooders....

Old 09-23-2016, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Need this shirt

Order here: https://www.sunfrog.com/F1-223734868...lack.html?8808
The following users liked this post:
R J Poseidon 6 (09-27-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 06:30 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I tried that on my wife once, but the result was the opposite.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:44 AM
Senior Moderator

thankfully the only other person in the house when I watch F1 is a hardcore fan herself.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:45 AM

Received 5,281 Likes on 3,620 Posts
Showed my wife that one, popped up on FaceBook, she gave a bit of a but laughed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Formula One: 2016 Season News and Discussion Thread