Formula One: 2016 Season News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 07:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,860 Likes on 3,480 Posts
Interesting but apparently the premise is built on a reporter's reputation and the lack of a denial by F1 or Apple. So then, will Apple watches become the time measuring devices used if and when Apple buys it?
The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (07-16-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 07:33 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
The cars will go 100% electric and be so easy to drive that toddlers and the elderly could be competitive (and I don't mean Verstappen and Raikkonen).

The down side is that the drivers would probably just start taking their cars to Starbucks where they'd sit with them idling for hours at a time so *everyone* knows that they're a racing driver and that their working on their race strategies that are totally going to be implemented once the team discovers them.

Last edited by cu2wagon; 07-15-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:37 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,064 Likes on 764 Posts
Didn't even bother to read that. It's too much of a stretch to think that Apple would buy F1. Someone's just trying to manipulate the market.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:01 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
The "linky" worked nOOb! lol

It didn't at first I swear! That's why I (like an airhead not being patient) posted again & again!
Old 07-15-2016, 12:06 PM
~HondaF1~

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
The cars will go 100% electric.....
Got that! FormulaE. I dig it, I took my daughters to the Miami ePrix and it was mega exciting watching Scott Speed come from the back and almost take the win...

Originally Posted by F-C
Didn't even bother to read that. It's too much of a stretch to think that Apple would buy F1. Someone's just trying to manipulate the market.
.....they are worth about $800b so it would be chump change really.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

So if Apple buys F1 is the governing body the Federation Internationale de Apple? It'd still be called the FIA.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:12 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
iFIA?
Old 07-15-2016, 01:13 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by R J Poseidon 6
Got that! FormulaE. I dig it, I took my daughters to the Miami ePrix and it was mega exciting watching Scott Speed come from the back and almost take the win...

.....they are worth about $800b so it would be chump change really.
It's not about the dollars. Apple just seems like a poor fit with F1.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:50 PM
~HondaF1~

Originally Posted by F-C
It's not about the dollars. Apple just seems like a poor fit with F1.
Oh absolutely!
Old 07-15-2016, 03:21 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
Three Generations of F1 Driver go Go Karting

Hakkinen, Coulthard, Alonso, Button and Vandorne on track.

The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
Chief F1 Fan (07-19-2016), Mugen.Justice (07-21-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh absolutely!
Why? Both are technology-laden and heavy entities. I think Apple and F1 would merge very well.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:30 PM
~HondaF1~

Wellll, you are correct. I'm just a lil peeved at Apple for the inversion (sending all the loot overseas and not sharing taxes). :/
Old 07-18-2016, 12:31 PM
~HondaF1~

Oh Legend, that rocked, I watched that last week and loved it. I sooo knew Alo would take them - it's his track!!! lolol

So much fun. I'm going karting this Sunday after the Hungarian GP & plan on tearing up some amigos.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator

that was awesome! Thanks Legend.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:48 AM
~HondaF1~

Here's a little more insight into the Apple situation:

Old 07-19-2016, 05:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Ferrari Wants Ross Brawn to Return its F1 Team to Glory

Ferrari Wants Ross Brawn to Return its F1 Team to Glory

Old 07-19-2016, 08:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Braun, puleeeeze, Ross, puleeeeeeeeeeeeze!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:00 AM
~HondaF1~

That would rock but remember that it would be as a consultant only, so James Allison & Maurizio would stay in place. This could be sick as hell. We shall see!
Old 07-20-2016, 12:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Such a bummer, he's such a sick driver and got denied the championship a few times w/the Scuderia. Hope they keep the momentum going for all our sakes (before he runs off to the WEC) - he's exciting to watch!
I'd love to see Alonso in a competitive package as I still think he has it in him. I'm still watching the British Gran Prix but Alonso's recovery from that spin was pretty amazing, he was like a boss taking it all in stride as he came into the kitty litter and got going again.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Oh Legend, that rocked, I watched that last week and loved it. I sooo knew Alo would take them - it's his track!!! lolol

So much fun. I'm going karting this Sunday after the Hungarian GP & plan on tearing up some amigos.
I've never done nice carts before, a former colleague owned two and raced them. Another friend has done them a handful of times and said they're a blast.
Gotta to try it sometime.

that was awesome! Thanks Legend.
Yeah, I love banter between the straight man Hakkinen and his charismatic foil Couldtard.
There're quite funny together in these videos (and some other F1 McLaren video's), and I imagine the dialog is genuine and sincere.
They had some serious video's talking about their time together as teammates at McLaren which is also fun to watch.
Apparently I've read they get along very well together during and after their F1 careers, something not all teammates can say.

Braun, puleeeeze, Ross, puleeeeeeeeeeeeze!!!!!!!!!!
That would rock but remember that it would be as a consultant only, so James Allison & Maurizio would stay in place. This could be sick as hell. We shall see!
Yeah, from what's been written all that Brawn structure, procedure, and process that he helped create at Ferrari is long gone now.
Remember MB current engineering director Aldo Costa worked for him as well (Rory Bryne was his mentor).

I guess it's up to Ross, as he has plenty of money from selling Brawn Gp to MB.
The question is does he want to put in the commitment of working very long hours and being away from home?
He's stated he enjoys being retired, traveling, and fishing.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I've never done nice carts before, a former colleague owned two and raced them. Another friend has done them a handful of times and said they're a blast.
Gotta to try it sometime.
Off topic, but I've been seriously looking at getting into karting. Been talking with a couple more seasoned racers & a local shop or two here. Trying to get some seat time before jumping in & buying a kart.
Just from the cheap rental karts available locally, I know I'll enjoy it.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:05 PM
~HondaF1~

Karting in a F1 thread is never, ever off topic amigo.

It is indeed a blast, these guys got their start karting before other open wheel series and onto F1. There are plenty of them here so if you guys ever come to Orlando - hit me up! I'm going Sunday to Bushnell Motorsports Park ? Florida's Brand New Track is ready for you! - if you click on the timing & overall points you 'll see me. You can actually live time the races (Sunday around 2:30ishpm EDT). You can do the same at Orlando Kart Center - The only real 45mph+ Go Kart in the Orlando Area - live timing & overall points etc...

It's so sick how you can just go to a track & knock the dust off. The G's you pull on turns & braking (not accelerating b/c they're [the rentals] normally kinda poopy out of the hole are SO much fun. I've wanted to race forever & i FINALLY was able to once I removed an excess 125lbs in my household a few years ago. So yeah, come to Orlando & let's kart!!
Old 07-20-2016, 01:09 PM
~HondaF1~

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I'd love to see Alonso in a competitive package as I still think he has it in him. I'm still watching the British Gran Prix but Alonso's recovery from that spin was pretty amazing, he was like a boss taking it all in stride as he came into the kitty litter and got going again.
You're 1000% correct - he's still got it. I thought it was game over for him but he got right out of that. I was disgusted the 2 years he almost had the championship recently in the red overalls - it killed me. Then he leaves the Scuderia & it becomes competitive again (UGGGHHH). Timing....
I mean I loooooooove the WEC but not yet!!!

Can you imagine him in the Benz?!? Lewis would be in deep poop.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:07 PM
~HondaF1~

Well, there goes that!

Legend2TL (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 03:51 PM

Karting in a F1 thread is never, ever off topic amigo.

It is indeed a blast, these guys got their start karting before other open wheel series and onto F1. There are plenty of them here so if you guys ever come to Orlando - hit me up! I'm going Sunday to Bushnell Motorsports Park ? Florida's Brand New Track is ready for you! - if you click on the timing & overall points you 'll see me. You can actually live time the races (Sunday around 2:30ishpm EDT). You can do the same at Orlando Kart Center - The only real 45mph+ Go Kart in the Orlando Area - live timing & overall points etc...

It's so sick how you can just go to a track & knock the dust off. The G's you pull on turns & braking (not accelerating b/c they're [the rentals] normally kinda poopy out of the hole are SO much fun. I've wanted to race forever & i FINALLY was able to once I removed an excess 125lbs in my household a few years ago. So yeah, come to Orlando & let's kart!!
Yeah, and they all started really early, I imagine between 4-7 yrs old. I'm 30, so no F1 for me.
Hoping to get some track time soon.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:36 AM

FIA revises F1 radio communication limits

FIA revises F1 radio communication limits

Formula 1 teams have been given revised radio communication limits for the Hungarian Grand Prix in the wake of the controversy caused at Silverstone a fortnight ago.

Nico Rosberg lost second place at the British Grand Prix when his Mercedes team was deemed to have been in breach of radio limits aimed at preventing drivers receiving assistance for performance.

However, with the stewards having ruled it okay for the team to have helped Rosberg overcome a potentially critical car failure, there was unease that other outfits had been told they could not tell their drivers about imminent brake trouble in Austria.

Furthermore, with Rosberg having been handed a 10-second time penalty, there was scope for teams to deliberately take punishments in the future if they felt there was more time to be lost not sending an illegal message.

In light of that situation, the FIA has issued fresh guidelines to teams ahead of the Hungaroring race that puts in place a solution for the Silverstone issue.

From now on, if a team warns a driver that there is a problem with the car it must include an instruction that forces the driver to come into the pits for necessary repairs.

This will automatically result in a hefty time penalty that would discourage any team using a potential safety issue for performance benefits.

The new FIA note says that a permitted message is: "Indication of a problem with the car, any message of this sort must include an irreversible instruction to enter the pits to rectify the problem or to retire the car."

Setting changes

With the Rosberg situation at Silverstone having revolved around setting changes, the FIA has now made it the responsibility of teams to show that any instructions to fix critical problems do not enhance the performance of the car.

A newly-worded part referencing what is allowed states: "Instructions to select driver defaults, this must be for the sole purpose of mitigating loss of function of a sensor, actuator or controller whose degradation or failure was not detected and handled by the onboard software.

"It will be the responsibility of any team giving any such instruction to satisfy the FIA technical delegate that this was the case and that any new setting chosen in this way did not enhance the performance of the car beyond that prior to the loss of function (see Article 8.2.4 of the Technical Regulations)."

Rules on information about car damage have also been tightened up, with teams now only allowed to tell drivers about broken 'bodywork' rather than other components.

Another change is that the FIA radio restrictions will now only count when the car is out of the pitlane, rather than simply out of the garage as had been in place before.

This in theory means that if drivers are coming down the pitlane with a critical problem then they can receive instructions to fix the issue without the need to go into the garage.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:38 AM

Silly Season - Vettel to Mercedes in 2018?

Sebastian Vettel tipped to leave Ferrari for Mercedes in 2018 | F1 News

Sebastian Vettel tipped to leave Ferrari for Mercedes in 2018

Horner warns Vettel is "rattled" as Ferrari's 'crisis' deepens

Sebastian Vettel has been tipped to move to Mercedes in 2018 by the man who mentored his four world championships, Red Bull boss Christian Horner.

Vettel is in the second season of the three-year deal he signed when he left Red Bull in 2014 to join Ferrari.

Despite a bright start to his stint with the Scuderia, Vettel is yet to win a race this year and is just fifth in the Drivers' Championship - behind both Mercedes drivers, Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton, current team-mate Kimi Raikkonen and his former stable-mate at Red Bull, Daniel Ricciardo.

"I can well imagine that in 2018 Seb will switch to Mercedes if he doesn't start making progress with Ferrari," Horner told Bild.

"I know from personal experience that he has to feel good in order to perform well. And I'm not sure whether he likes [Ferrari president] Sergio Marchionne's pressure."

According to reports in Italy, Marchionne, who has repeatedly demanded Ferrari quickly return to the winners' enclosure and described their decade-long title drought as a "tragedy", has conducted a series of inquests at the team's Maranello base in recent weeks in order to understand their on-track struggles. With pressure mounting, team boss Maurizio Arrivabene has admitted the team "cannot fail" at this week's Hungarian GP.

"I have the feeling that Seb is a bit rattled," Horner added.

Although Ferrari announced at the British GP that Raikkonen would be retained for 2017, reputedly in part to assuage Vettel, speculation has intensified since their disappointing performance at Silverstone, which culminated in Red Bull closing to within six points in the Constructors' Championship, that Arrivabene's own position is under threat along with that of technical chief James Allison.

While Lewis Hamilton's current deal with Mercedes runs until the end of 2018, Nico Rosberg's contract expires at the end of the season.

One explanation for Ferrari's surprise decision to retain Raikkonen was the suggestion Marchionne, unconvinced by the alternative options available, was prepared to wait for Hamilton.

It could, however, be a long wait.

While Ferrari held an irresistible lure for Vettel, who spent his boyhood watching compatriot Michael Schumacher enjoying a decade of dominance with F1's most famous marque, Hamilton has previously denied being attracted to the Scuderia and repeated last week he believes his long-term F1 future will be at Mercedes.

"I've obviously signed for another three years with Mercedes - after that I see myself staying for another three or four years. While I'm 37 I'll still be relatively young so I want to be challenged by something else," said the reigning world champion.

Whether at Ferrari, Mercedes or even at Manor, Vettel-Hamilton would represent F1's dream pairing and constitute the biggest blockbuster pairing in the sport since Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna's rivalry reached legendary status at McLaren.

Despite the F1 careers of Hamilton and Vettel, both of whom joined the sport in 2007, running concurrently, the only time they came close to co-existing within the same team was in 2011 when Hamilton enquired about a vacancy at the then-dominant Red Bull outfit. Ironically, it was Horner who closed the door on the switch, adamant that the pair couldn't live together under one roof.

"At the time it would have been impossible to accommodate Lewis and Sebastian in the team, and obviously we went on to achieve a huge amount with Seb," said Horner in March.

"The timing didn't work out. It was one of those things. Lewis has gone on to achieve some phenomenal things in another environment. He's found his way."

"I'd be amazed to ever see the two of them sitting in the same team. From a team point of view as well it would be very difficult to envisage that scenario. It could be very, very divisive. You've always got one who is elated and one who is p***** off."
Old 07-21-2016, 02:48 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
The silly season is getting silly. Do you guys really see Vettel leaving Ferrari a place he says he has always wanted to be?
Old 07-21-2016, 02:55 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
The silly season is getting silly. Do you guys really see Vettel leaving Ferrari a place he says he has always wanted to be?
Of course. Who wouldn't want to be in the dominant car? However, I just think this is Horner trying to destablize his rivals.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:58 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
This is very interesting. I thought Rosberg got off very light in the British GP. A 10 second penalty vs a pit stop to fix the problem? Yeah, I'll take the 10 second penalty.

To be honest, I agree with this clampdown of the communication. It adds more uncertainty to the races.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:41 PM
AZ Community Team

You're 1000% correct - he's still got it. I thought it was game over for him but he got right out of that. I was disgusted the 2 years he almost had the championship recently in the red overalls - it killed me. Then he leaves the Scuderia & it becomes competitive again (UGGGHHH). Timing....
I mean I loooooooove the WEC but not yet!!!

Can you imagine him in the Benz?!? Lewis would be in deep poop.
There was a great commentary by a F1 analyst a few years ago that got into how a single moment in one race could potentially change the course of a driver's career.
In Alonso's case it was the 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in his first year at Ferrari, where he qualified 3rd and had a 8 point lead over Vettel. All he had to do was keep his points ahead of Vettel (on pole).
However a strategy error by Ferrari caused him to pit (spooked by Webber pitting early), and he got stuck behind the Renault of Petrov, and lost the championship.
Vettel goes on to win 4 championships in a row for Red Bull while Alonso pushes hard (2nd place WDC three times) to get Ferrari compettive.
The commentator wondered what would have gone different if Alonso had won the championship that year.
Sometimes momentum from a WDC/WCC can propel a driver and team forward.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Abu_Dhabi_Grand_Prix

Another interesting moment from McLaren at 1998 Australian Grand Prix where team orders came into play favoring Mika over David.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_A...ian_Grand_Prix

R J Poseidon 6 (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 08:51 AM
~HondaF1~

So true Legend. So true.

And with that, Rosberg signs 2 more years at Benz. Cool!
Old 07-22-2016, 12:52 PM
~HondaF1~

Originally Posted by F-C
Of course. Who wouldn't want to be in the dominant car? However, I just think this is Horner trying to destablize his rivals.
I 2nd this statement of truth...
Old 07-25-2016, 03:25 PM
~HondaF1~

Decent race guys. I feel like Ham is just gonna run away with it this year pending any mechanical issues....
Old 07-25-2016, 04:34 PM

Positions 3-6 made for some good closing laps.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:51 AM
AZ Community Team

echnical chief James Allison and Ferrari part ways

Technical chief James Allison and Ferrari part ways

Rough year for Allison, losing his wife to Meningitis and his job as Ferrari technical director

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-27-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:57 AM
~HondaF1~

This is horrible news for the Scuderia. Is this a way to get Mr Brawn? Tough to get him out of retirement but ... we shall see!
Old 07-28-2016, 03:33 PM
~HondaF1~

Oh yesssss!

As of today, full radio communications over the air, standing wet starts after a few laps behind the safety car & no HALO until 2018!!

Old 07-28-2016, 03:34 PM
~HondaF1~

Oh and, there are rumors of Ross Brawn spottings in Germany.

We shall see if there is any validity to those rumors soon enough amigos...
Old 07-28-2016, 10:30 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Personally...as a McLaren Honda fan...I would like to see Brawn try his hand at turning THAT ship around.

Quick Reply: Formula One: 2016 Season News and Discussion Thread