McLaren in the points!
Old 05-24-2015, 11:28 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Old 05-25-2015, 03:26 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,064 Likes on 764 Posts
That was probably the dumbest call in the history of Monaco. I was screaming at the television when Hamilton came into the pits. Even if he had a 2 minute lead, they shouldn't have brought him in.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,494 Posts
+1 Not sure if it was Paddy Lowe or Hamilton's engineer but it was pretty amazing they did it. I was kinda shocked it took the TV commentators (David Hobbs and ?) to notice it as well. Definitely not the Ross Brawn kind of strategy.

Felt sorry for Max Verstappen, it looked like to me Grosjean brake checked him, surprised they didn't ask for the telemetry. Decent run up until that point.

Hamilton has matured, he didn't rant and rave just brooded in his expression which is pretty understandable considering he commanded the race. They win together and lose together.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dougler
I never understood it. Racing will never be green so why bother? Look at all the tires they have to haul around the world, and burn through every weekend. They need to get back to running full tilt all the time instead of this managing tires/fuel business.
Originally Posted by West6MT
This ^^
Double
Old 05-25-2015, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Man, what on earth was going on in the Mercedes fixed pits. Why on earth would you bring Lewis in

Last edited by fsttyms1; 05-28-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:38 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Man, what on earth was going on in the Mclaren pits. Why on earth would you bring Lewis in
Are you suggesting the McLaren pits hacked the Mercedes telemetry to trick Hamilton to pit?

Old 05-25-2015, 10:41 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by F-C
Are you suggesting the McLaren pits hacked the Mercedes telemetry to trick Hamilton to pit?

If McLaren were cheating, I would hope they would perform better
Old 05-26-2015, 06:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,853 Likes on 3,474 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C

No, he's suggesting the MBZ brain-trust have their heads up their
Old 05-26-2015, 07:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Was curious who designed the currrent McLaren/Honda and Neil Oakley is part of the technical leadership team.
Oakley has worked at McLaren since 86 and was chief designer for the late 80's and early 90's McLaren/Honda partnership won 4 WCC and WDC's.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:57 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Is the McLaren chassis not good, or the Honda engine not good, or both ?
Old 05-26-2015, 06:22 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Unfortunately, the design of each is so tightly knit to the other, it's really hard to tell.

McLaren Honda made the decision to go with a more radical design to beat out the current establishment. They believed they couldn't beat Mercedes/Ferrari without coming out with a drastic solution. Because of this, reliability from Honda has been an issue for a while, but recent results have me believing that McLaren's chassis is like it was last year, good but not great.

I still believe Honda's risk on the power unit will pay off in the end, which is critical for F1. For the time being, the McLaren Honda partnership is exclusive, but I think FIA is hoping Honda will be another viable engine manufacturer to match the other three.

The whole situation is only intensified by the fact that Renault and Red Bull whine every year about something or other.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:07 AM
Senior Moderator

One thing I can tell you from personal experience having heard it this past weekend in Monaco is that the Honda-engined cars sound like ASS. I'll post up a vid later. Sitting at Tabac, the McLarens, Williams and RBR cars seemed to be the quickest through the turns at the Swimming Pool Complex.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Difficult to say since they are the only team with Honda powerplants.

McLaren has had chassis problems over the last few seasons, they finished a distant last out of the 3 Mercedes powerplant teams last year in the constructors championship (MBZ 701, Williams 320, McLaren 181).
Some aerodynamics, some mechanical grip, and some getting to understand their chassis with respect to changes in settings.

Although Oakley is a very talented engineer, I'm kinda surprised McLaren have him as their director of engineering since they've struggled even with MB power.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:16 AM
Senior Moderator

I think the chassis is flattering the engine since it is so far down on power and not being run at its full power output yet.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C

Lol, guess i had other things on my mind Lol
Old 05-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
No, he's suggesting the MBZ brain-trust have their heads up their
Yes, this exactly
Old 05-28-2015, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Unfortunately, the design of each is so tightly knit to the other, it's really hard to tell.

McLaren Honda made the decision to go with a more radical design to beat out the current establishment. They believed they couldn't beat Mercedes/Ferrari without coming out with a drastic solution. Because of this, reliability from Honda has been an issue for a while, but recent results have me believing that McLaren's chassis is like it was last year, good but not great.

I still believe Honda's risk on the power unit will pay off in the end, which is critical for F1. For the time being, the McLaren Honda partnership is exclusive, but I think FIA is hoping Honda will be another viable engine manufacturer to match the other three.

The whole situation is only intensified by the fact that Renault and Red Bull whine every year about something or other.
I agree. BUT about the time they get it 100% the FIA will come along and change engines in yet another attempt to "reduce" costs
Old 05-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

it's asinine for sure the way the FIA and the Constructors are agreeing to a raft of changes that led to the creation of the hybrid power units in the first place isn't it? Everything that has been undone over the last decade is going to be re-done, even wider tires. I just don't get it. The engine manufacturers have to be going crazy.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Fernando Alonso tops list of highest-paid F1 drivers

Fernando Alonso tops list of highest-paid F1 drivers

Wish I made a 1/10 of Alonso's salary
Old 06-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Quite the spread of salary across the grid.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Senior Moderator

I had no idea Williams was involved in some of these projects.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:02 AM
AZ Community Team

Gotta wonder what Martin Whitmarsh is thinking these days watching McLaren these days

Martin Whitmarsh: I was ready to retire after a life in F1 - then Sir Ben Ainslie rang about America's Cup - Telegraph

Interesting, he's now involved with managing America's Cup sailing racing team for England.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:15 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
A comprehensive article describing the Mclaren/Honda troubles: Technical insight: Honda's radical Formula 1 engine for McLaren - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

In a nutshell, Mclaren engineers have given Honda very little space to play with, all in the name of aerodynamics. As a result of that, Honda engineers stuffed a multiple fan turbine in between the V, creating all shorts of heat soaking and fuel consumption issues. Hope the geniuses figure this one out and the F1 bosses allow re-fueling again.

PS. I hope those two (Mclaren and Honda) don't start pointing fingers at each other... and (both) compromise.

Last edited by Tonyware; 06-08-2015 at 09:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

:repuzzle:
Old 06-09-2015, 10:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Coulthard's latest article on BBC.com

From seeing the reaction on social media following the race, I know I am not the only person who did not like what I saw at the Canadian Grand Prix.
The number of radio messages about fuel saving during the race really annoyed me.
It seems to me that this is the biggest issue at the heart of complaints that Formula 1 is not what it should be, in terms of a test of man and machine on the limit at all times.
The sport has gone from the bucking bronco cars driven by Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost and Nigel Mansell, to an exercise in systems management which Fernando Alonso likened to piloting airliners.

The bigger picture

The sad reality is that the drivers are not enjoying the current F1. They are just not tested sufficiently.
Of course, the cars are hard to drive. They remain the fastest and most sophisticated racing cars in the world.
But they are not difficult enough - either physically or mentally.
Fernando Alonso is an all-time great, a driver who would have been at the top of the sport in whatever era he raced. In the last two races he has said two things that really hit home.
The first was that the last time he was tested to his limit mentally and physically in a grand prix was 10 years ago.
The second was that driving the current cars is more about systems management than it is about driving skill.
Lewis Hamilton is of the same calibre. He said after the race in Canada that he was not even stressed, that it was not difficult.

The essence of F1 is key to success

Of course, drivers do not have all the answers. But if you are not challenging the best guys, you are short-changing both them and the audience.
I remember getting out of my car in Montreal one year and struggling to see because I was so dehydrated.
The sort of thing we saw in Canada last weekend was more like the challenge traditionally posed by endurance racing.
F1 has to be sexy and have a frisson of danger. At the moment, it is in danger of losing that aspect.
It is no secret that in some countries F1 is losing its audience. I can't believe that is a coincidence.
You don't want drivers to be managing software systems, being engineers in the car and worrying constantly about managing fuel and tyres.
Look back 30 years, to the era of Senna, Prost and Mansell and the cars were bucking broncos that took the drivers to their physical limits and sometimes beyond, admittedly at a time when fitness was not the science it is now.
Even in my era, when sports science began to come into its own, you woke up on race morning thinking: "Thank God I slept well. I can take this challenge today."
You could not stay up until midnight and then go and drive a grand prix. If you did, you would lose concentration and crash.
Now, I know of drivers going from sponsor functions to hang out at parties on the night before a race. Of course, they're not drinking or anything, but it just goes to show how little stress they have about doing a grand prix.
The problem is that F1 is a complicated sport, and this is a complicated subject. So let's explain some of that stuff before I go into what I think needs to be changed.

Fuel-saving is an unavoidable fact

Drivers managing brakes and tyres has always been part of the essence of F1 - and fuel has always been a factor in the start-weight of a car, whether or not there was a restriction on fuel usage, as there is now.
The latest F1 rules, which included a limit both on the total amount of fuel that can be used during a race and the rate at which it can flow, were introduced last year.
But in the years immediately preceding them, following the banning of refuelling at the end of 2009, teams would always start the races with the cars containing less fuel than would be needed to get to the end of the race driving flat out.
That's because it is faster to start with a lighter car and do a degree of fuel saving through a race, than it is to drive a heavier car flat out.

That is an immutable fact regardless of whether you have deliberately fragile tyres as F1 uses now, or durable, consistent ones, as was the case before the Pirelli era.
Because of this, teams are even this year often starting races with less fuel in their tanks than the maximum allowance of 100kg.
I don't believe that was the case in Canada, which is one of the tracks with the heaviest fuel consumption.
But nevertheless this is a remarkable testament to the technology contained within these turbo hybrid engines, which are now doing races on less than two-thirds of the amount of fuel that was routinely used only two years ago.
Having said all of that, the degree of fuel-saving being done at the moment seems to me to be too much.

Alonso makes a good point

F1 had refuelling throughout my career. Even so, there were races when you under-fuelled the car because it was quicker.
But if we were asked to save fuel it was not by the method used now, which is called 'lift and coast' and involves a driver lifting off the throttle for a period of time before braking for the corner. We usually did it by short-shifting - changing gear before we reached maximum revs.
In other words, it did not affect your driving in the corners, which is the essence of an F1 driver's skill.
There were occasional races when we might lift and coast, but it was not commonplace and it did not affect the racing as it did in Canada.
Back then, to have had a driver come on the radio, as Alonso did on Sunday, and say "let me race, we look like amateurs", would have been unthinkable.

Fundamental change is needed

The sport's bosses have agreed to make changes for 2017 that will make the cars five or six seconds a lap faster. That will certainly make a difference in making the cars more challenging.
It's a good first step. But they need to think a bit more deeply about what they really need to do.
After Canada, people were talking about the need to turn grands prix back into flat-out sprints. It's a laudable aim.
But at the same time, we all know that Bernie Ecclestone wants Pirelli to remain as the tyre supplier into a new contract starting in 2017.
If the tyres remain the same as they are now, sprint races are impossible, no matter what you do to the cars.
That's because the tyres simply fall apart if drivers push flat-out for more than a couple of laps. No matter how hard these current tyres produced by Pirelli are, they need managing over a race stint.

But what change?

Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers. Personally, I thought the refuelling era was great, because the cars were fast and demanding and the drivers were on the limit all the time.
But at the same time it is hard to argue with the facts. From 2009 to 2010, when nothing had changed other than the fact that refuelling had been banned - Pirelli and the DRS overtaking aid had not yet been introduced - the number of on-track overtakes more than doubled year-on-year.
That is a compelling argument against refuelling, however much I might like to see it return.
One positive aspect there definitely was to refuelling, though, was that we used to qualify with the amount of fuel with which we would start the race. And that led to different strategies, which in turn led to place changes, even if they were not on the track.
By contrast, right now, if you line the cars up in the order of fastest first and then set them off, it should not be a massive surprise if there is then not an awful lot of overtaking at the front of the field.
It seems to me that F1 has drifted too far from what made it great in the first place.
Sports such as football have remained relatively unchanged and their appeal has passed from generation to generation.
F1 has become too close to the category immediately below it, GP2, so it is too easy for drivers to make the transition, which in turn diminishes the appeal of the star names, whose greater ability has in the past differentiated them from the norm more easily than it can now.
F1 has to project the sense that you are watching a feat of amazing human skill.
It's terrific that the sport's bosses recognise there is a problem and are considering making some changes. But even then they are not going far enough.
They need to have a more fundamental think about what F1 should be, take the time to do it properly and act on that. Half-measures are not enough.
The core appeal of F1 is the gladiatorial aspect of man and machine on the absolute limit at incredible speeds, with the risk - however remote and undesired - that someone could get hurt.
Stray too far from that, and the sport will lose its wow factor.
BBC Sport - David Coulthard: Short-changed drivers not enjoying F1
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Good article ^^
Old 06-15-2015, 06:40 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Sadly...not everyone has Mercedes's money printing machine. So the question may become, is Red Bull going to stick around with another engine (*cough*cough* Honda), or get out too?

Renault will decide direction of Formula 1 future by end of 2015 - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Renault will decide direction of Formula 1 future by end of 2015 - Ian Parkes, autosport.com, Sunday, June 14th

Renault will decide by the end of this year whether it will remain an engine supplier to Red Bull, again become a full works team, or withdraw from Formula 1 altogether.

The French firm's current contracts as power unit supplier to Red Bull and Toro Rosso expire at the end of 2016, with speculation rife over its direction thereafter.

Renault Sport F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul expects a late-2015 deadline will be demanded by Red Bull if the two parties are going to continue on in 2017.

"Red Bull wants the confidence we have the capacity to catch up, and on our side we need the certainty we can catch up," he told AUTOSPORT.

"We also need to have confidence in the value of the sport and in the value of this partnership. This is something that is built over time. There is no rush.

"But I would imagine they will want to know at some time what will be between the gearbox and fuel tank of its 2017 car.

"I know this is the type of organisation that starts drawing early.

"I would imagine at some point later in 2015 they will want to know what is going on in 2017."

Renault has been linked with buy-outs of Toro Rosso, Lotus and Manor, while Red Bull boss Christian Horner suspects it will leave F1 if engine rules do not change.

"Right now the best thing we can do for our own situation is to assume we will continue as we are, with us as an engine supplier and them as a customer of Renault," said Abiteboul.

"That will give us the best chance of quick success for the joint organisation, but in parallel we also work on the future.

"It may be a different future for them, a different future for us, but anyway there is no future if we don't have a competitive engine."

Abiteboul insists getting Renault on a par with the currently dominant Mercedes is affordable whatever route it takes.

"The question mark around our own team, or a different set-up with Red Bull Racing, is not one of resources, but will be if we are not capable of addressing the situation," added Abiteboul.

"The business case is completely different when you have your own team as it is capable of deriving some commercial income from sponsors, from FOM, from merchandising and so on.

"We've been a team in the past so we know very well what it costs, but also how you can structure it.

"And if you look at Mercedes, they are spending far less on its team operation than engine operation, so we already have the biggest element Mercedes has.

"We need to balance the extra benefit of being a team against the extra cost of being a team.

"Again, that's not something that is our focus because the first thing we want to produce is engines, but there is a business case for being a team."

Last edited by Tonyware; 06-15-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:23 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Austria FP1:

POS DRIVER NATIONALITY ENTRANT TIME
1. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes GP 1:10.401
2. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes GP 1:10.709
3. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Ferrari 1:11.028
4. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Mercedes 1:11.452
5. Felipe Nasr Brazil Sauber-Ferrari 1:11.633
6. Daniil Kvyat Russia Red Bull-Renault 1:11.642
7. Daniel Ricciardo Autralian Red Bull-Renault 1:11.724
8. Max Verstappen Netherlands Toro Rosso-Renault 1:11.825
9. Felipe Massa Brazil Williams-Mercedes 1:11.890
10. Sergio Perez Mexico Force India-Mercedes 1:11.905
11. Carlos Sainz Spain Toro Rosso-Renault 1:11.948
12. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Lotus-Mercedes 1:12.004
13. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Force India-Mercedes 1:12.031
14. Jolyon Palmer Britain Lotus-Mercedes 1:12.050
15. Marcus Ericsson Sweden Sauber-Ferrari 1:12.159
16. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Honda 1:12.920
17. Fernando Alonso Spain McLaren-Honda 1:13.272
18. Will Stevens Britain Marussia-Ferrari 1:13.937
19. Roberto Merhi Spain Marussia-Ferrari 1:15.459
20. Sebastian Vettel Germany Ferrari 1:15.684
Old 06-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

FP2:

POS. NO. DRIVER TEAM TIME GAP LAPS
1 5 SEBASTIAN VETTEL FERRARI 1:09.600 28
2 6 NICO ROSBERG MERCEDES 1:09.611 +0.011s 50
3 7 KIMI RÄIKKÖNEN FERRARI 1:09.860 +0.260s 41
4 13 PASTOR MALDONADO LOTUS 1:09.914 +0.314s 44
5 44 LEWIS HAMILTON MERCEDES 1:10.137 +0.537s 49
6 27 NICO HULKENBERG FORCE INDIA 1:10.160 +0.560s 49
7 8 ROMAIN GROSJEAN LOTUS 1:10.267 +0.667s 38
8 33 MAX VERSTAPPEN TORO ROSSO 1:10.356 +0.756s 48
9 12 FELIPE NASR SAUBER 1:10.495 +0.895s 39
10 11 SERGIO PEREZ FORCE INDIA 1:10.585 +0.985s 46
11 55 CARLOS SAINZ TORO ROSSO 1:10.631 +1.031s 50
12 26 DANIIL KVYAT RED BULL 1:10.686 +1.086s 48
13 9 MARCUS ERICSSON SAUBER 1:10.744 +1.144s 40
14 77 VALTTERI BOTTAS WILLIAMS 1:10.746 +1.146s 34
15 19 FELIPE MASSA WILLIAMS 1:11.011 +1.411s 42
16 14 FERNANDO ALONSO MCLAREN 1:11.517 +1.917s 17
17 3 DANIEL RICCIARDO RED BULL 1:11.676 +2.076s 38
18 22 JENSON BUTTON MCLAREN 1:11.919 +2.319s 17
19 28 WILL STEVENS MARUSSIA 1:12.522 +2.922s 34
20 98 ROBERTO MERHI MARUSSIA 1:13.094 +3.494s 34
Old 06-19-2015, 10:46 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Maybe we will get an interesting race. Mercedes vs Ferrari

Red Bull is complaining again about the Renault engines, but once again they are out paced by Toro Rosso. Dieter needs to shut his mouth.

Last edited by F-C; 06-19-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Did you hear Matchett's criticism of Mateschlitz? It was spot on-Renault helped RBR win 4 titles in a row, 4 other titles with other teams, has been racing forever, and he didn't recall any other partnership blowing up like RBR/Renault has. I agree F-C, he needs to STFU because the constant criticism cannot be encouraging Renault to do a better job for some guy who obviously doesn't appreciate its efforts.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:12 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Did you hear Matchett's criticism of Mateschlitz? It was spot on-Renault helped RBR win 4 titles in a row, 4 other titles with other teams, has been racing forever, and he didn't recall any other partnership blowing up like RBR/Renault has. I agree F-C, he needs to STFU because the constant criticism cannot be encouraging Renault to do a better job for some guy who obviously doesn't appreciate its efforts.
Not only that, but can you imagine any other manufacturer wanting to partner with Red Bull in the future? Ingolstadt probably has Dieter's number on the ignore list right now.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

right, and until RBR learn how to build their own engines, they'll always be at the "mercy" of the power plant manufacturers. MBZ won't be selling engines to them and neither will Ferrari-that leaves Honda who have made no secret of their intent to sell customer power plants. This could be a frying pan-fire kinda thing for RBR, Mateschlitz def. should STFU.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:49 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,645 Likes on 2,486 Posts
The new front end they are testing on Alonso's car looks horrendous compared to the old one that was rounded off. I understand if it works better who cares but damn that is a 180 from being one of the better looking cars.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:16 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Alonso is thinking about going to Lemans next year (Vettel too!). Button says no point in qualifying since he got a penalty for engine swap/components swap. Webber still pissed with F1, rants about the cars became slow and non-eventful for fans. All this in the news today. Interesting times we live in.

note: Renault bolted a hairdryer on a gas guzzler V6 with lots of pipes (hmmm sounds like the Acura TLX GT ). Specs of the Renault engine (looks like a dealership brochure LOL) here: http://www.renaultsport.com/IMG/pdf/...-en_final2.pdf

PS. If they give enough money and time to the engineers at Renault they'll come up with something amazing, just like in the past. But its all about funding these days.

Last edited by Tonyware; 06-19-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

for fuck sakes, what is Ferrari DOING?? They sent Kimi out too late to do his fast laps. Jesus Christ.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Driver deliberately plows into pedestrians in Graz

Kills 3 people

Fatal car crash on crowd in Austrian city of Graz - BBC News
Old 06-20-2015, 12:29 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Ah! The politics of racing! Reading between the lines... maybe someone from within Scuderia hanged Kimi out to dry? Vettel starts 3rd? Hmmmm.... Payback for messing up with the German in Montreal? Hmmmm....

Last edited by Tonyware; 06-20-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Formula One: 2015 Season News and Discussion Thread