Formula One: 2011 Season News and Discussion Thread **Abu Dhabi GP (page 8)**

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I was reading your quote in post #196, and couldn't find anywhere mentioning force-induction. The only thing resembling is "high pressure gasoline injection at 500 bar".

I have no problem with turbo-charging the 4-cylinders. Back in the 80's, the race-winning Honda 1.5L-V6 twin-turbo had generated 700-800hp in race trim, and >1000hp in qualify trim, while in-race refueling was also not allowed.
wow, for some reason when i read high pressure gasoline injection, i must have read force induction somehow

Wow, i could have sworn they said they would be bringing the turbo's back, and that was why vw was interested in probably being an engine producer.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
What a tool bag

more video (2 angles, just footage, no commentary/music etc) - http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-11...ver-F1-car.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTv6PO5G6uU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSTsUrdudD8
Old 06-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Suzuka Master

i saw that on autoblog, what a dumbass
Old 06-06-2011, 05:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,876 Likes on 3,488 Posts
holy ouchie! there's a busted hip (on the endplate of rear wing)
Old 06-06-2011, 06:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,023 Likes on 2,501 Posts
I was reading your quote in post #196, and couldn't find anywhere mentioning force-induction. The only thing resembling is "high pressure gasoline injection at 500 bar".

I have no problem with turbo-charging the 4-cylinders. Back in the 80's, the race-winning Honda 1.5L-V6 twin-turbo had generated 700-800hp in race trim, and >1000hp in qualify trim, while in-race refueling was also not allowed.
There was a brief period from 82-83 in F1 when refueling was allowed, I believe only Brabham did refueling with the BT50 and BT52 both turbo cars.

The F1 turbo period from 81 to 88 was quite exciting from a competition and technology point of view.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:59 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL

The F1 turbo period from 81 to 88 was quite exciting from a competition and technology point of view.
It was even more fun watching the turbo-1.5L cars and the naturally-aspirated 3.5L cars racing together on the race tracks. The turbo-1.5L cars just zoomed past all those NA-3.5L cars as if there was no tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Senior Moderator

that was a fun era Edward
Old 06-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Montreal: T-minus 4 days and counting, can't wait!!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Montreal: T-minus 4 days and counting, can't wait!!
are you and west going again?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by speedemon90
are you and west going again?

yes
Old 06-07-2011, 05:16 AM
Senior Moderator

My brother is in the stands above the pits (compliments of Pirelli), full pit walk through access.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Suzuka Master

My brother is in the stands above the pits (compliments of Pirelli), full pit walk through access.
damn thats so awesome, how did he go about getting that!?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:13 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,023 Likes on 2,501 Posts
It was even more fun watching the turbo-1.5L cars and the naturally-aspirated 3.5L cars racing together on the race tracks. The turbo-1.5L cars just zoomed past all those NA-3.5L cars as if there was no tomorrow.
One of the things that I liked about that era was the engine configurations of the Turbo motors.

straight 4 - BMW, Hart
V6 - Ferrari, TaG/Porsche, Ford, Renault, Honda
V8 - Alfa Romero

All the fours had one turbo where the others had two.

That was a great era, and the sound they made was tremendous in person. The power was also amazing, one of the neatest thing I ever saw was watching practice/qualified at the Detroit Grand Prix on the back section and watching all the drivers try to put down 900-1100HP onto the payment

Piquet was one of the best at managing his Brabham/BMW, he could do a four wheel drift/steer with the car sliding to within a half foot of the concrete barriers consistently lap after lap. Patrese in the other Brabham was never as close as Nelson.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

damn thats so awesome, how did he go about getting that!?
As Prez of the Glen, it definitely has its positives.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

As Prez of the Glen, it definitely has its positives.
and now I know how you got those tickets to see hamilton!

Got some nice hookups there
Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 PM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
One of the things that I liked about that era was the engine configurations of the Turbo motors.

straight 4 - BMW, Hart
V6 - Ferrari, TaG/Porsche, Ford, Renault, Honda
V8 - Alfa Romero

All the fours had one turbo where the others had two.

That was a great era, and the sound they made was tremendous in person. The power was also amazing, one of the neatest thing I ever saw was watching practice/qualified at the Detroit Grand Prix on the back section and watching all the drivers try to put down 900-1100HP onto the payment

Piquet was one of the best at managing his Brabham/BMW, he could do a four wheel drift/steer with the car sliding to within a half foot of the concrete barriers consistently lap after lap. Patrese in the other Brabham was never as close as Nelson.
Oh yeh. Brought back all the good memories. Those were the good old days when race results were determined by human drivers and their driving skills. When someone missed a gear shift, the following car immediately took the lead. That was fun to watch.

But today, race results were purely determined by the technology level of the car, and drivers are all busy pushing buttons inside the cockpit.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

and now I know how you got those tickets to see hamilton!

Got some nice hookups there
You're right speed, my "hard card" gets me anywhere I want to go.

It pays to be the brother of the king
Old 06-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Oh yeh. Brought back all the good memories. Those were the good old days when race results were determined by human drivers and their driving skills. When someone missed a gear shift, the following car immediately took the lead. That was fun to watch.

But today, race results were purely determined by the technology level of the car, and drivers are all busy pushing buttons inside the cockpit.
wished I watched F1 back then

I dunno if I was even alive when that stuff was going on though.

Still wish I started earlier, I started watching pretty late in life.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:40 AM
Senior Moderator

I started back in the 60's when Monaco was televised every Memorial Day weekend. It grew from there. Turbo era was sick, non-turbo era was pretty good too; tires that lasted for 3 laps (ditto engines) just for qualifying was thrilling but ridiculous. I like the current formula with DRS, NA engines and KERS, no refueling. Now if they'd keep it like that beyond 2013 I'd be pretty happy.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 AM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Did you guys see this petition to have Red Bull Racing and all the other teams not race in Bahrain?

To Red Bull, and other F1 teams:

We call on you to declare publicly that you won't race in Bahrain this year, because the government has killed and injured hundreds of innocent people who were standing up for their rights. Your reputation, and Formula 1's, will suffer if you reward this deadly regime.
http://www.avaaz.org/en/no_f1_in_brutal_bahrain/
Old 06-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bahrain is a no-go...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/form...e/13694628.stm

Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone has said October's reinstated Bahrain Grand Prix cannot go ahead.

The race was due to open the season in March but was called off because of civil unrest. Last week the FIA restored it to the calendar.

"Hopefully we can return in the future, but of course it's not on," Ecclestone told BBC Sport's Dan Roan.

"The schedule cannot be rescheduled without the agreement of the participants - they're the facts."

The teams wrote to the FIA on Tuesday expressing their objections to Bahrain being put back on the calendar.

The decision to reinstate Bahrain was taken at a meeting of the FIA World Council on Friday, where the vote was passed without any objections.

But it seems the FIA had overlooked article 66 of its own sporting code, which says that no amendments can be made to the arrangements for a championship after entries open without the agreement of all competitors.

A senior insider described this oversight as "extraordinary".

Max Mosley condemned the decision to reschedule the Bahrain race
Technically speaking, the vote remains valid, and in theory the FIA should have another vote to cancel it.

In reality, though, because the FIA did not follow its own rules, the teams can simply ignore it, as the vote cannot take effect without their agreement.

That means that, because the teams have formally objected to the reinstatement to the Bahrain race, it cannot now take place this year, so the event will not happen, regardless of what actions the FIA now takes.

An FIA spokesman emphasised that the decisions to initially call off the race in February and then to reinstate it were both proposed by Ecclestone.

He also added that no-one had voted against the decision to bring back the Bahrain race at last Friday's meeting.

The Bahrain Grand Prix was called off in February because of pro-democracy protests in which more than 20 people died.

However, the FIA chose to reinstate the race after a report suggested that the country's situation has "stabilised". Bahrain was given India's slot on the 20-race calendar on 30 October with the inaugural race in India moved to a provisional date of 11 December.

BBC F1 commentator Martin Brundle told BBC Radio 5 live: "I think it's a grave error to reintroduce the race for a number of reasons. They really should have kept it off this year's calendar.

"A lot of people would be happy to accept it on the calendar for 2012 provided they have sorted out the problems there."

The decision to reinstate Bahrain and to reorganise a 2011 season in which six races have already been completed led to reaction from former FIA chairman Max Mosley, Red Bull driver Mark Webber, the teams and third parties unconnected with the sport.

Avaaz, an international campaigning organisation, immediately issued a statement in which it contradicted the FIA's findings.

"Claims that calm has been restored and life is back to normal in Bahrain are completely untrue," said campaign director Alex Wilks. "In the last week the police have continued to use tear gas, rubber bullets and sound grenades to break up peaceful marches, killing and injuring dozens of people."

The teams wrote to the FIA, under the auspices of their umbrella group Fota, making it clear their opposition to the Bahrain race happening in 2011.

They say it is not practical to add the race at the end of a long season and asked for the Indian Grand Prix to be moved back to its original date.

BBC Sport understands that Fota - which represents all the F1 teams bar back-of-the-grid Hispania - expressed its objections to Bahrain being rescheduled on logistical grounds, its letter saying that the idea of adding a 20th race in December would be "unbearable to our staff".

"The reason the teams get quite upset about the December factor is that it's a massive commitment for the guys that go racing," McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe told BBC Sport. "And that is typically when they have their holidays."

And while the letter does not register any moral or ethical objections to the idea of a race in Bahrain, sources say the teams do have such concerns.

The teams, and the majority of F1's decision makers, head to Canada this weekend for the seventh race of the season where there is expected to be more discussion on the future of the Bahrain GP and the 2011 calendar.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

anyone watching live?? Other than chief and west of course
Old 06-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
I didn't watch it live but watched the recording and a bummed out with the hamilton situation, but that was a hell of a drive by Button!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Europe preview - rule tweak & DRS to mix up Valencia field?

http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2011/6/12200.html

McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes will all be hoping fervently that a change in the regulations governing engine mapping will clip Red Bull’s wings a little this weekend at the European round in Valencia and give them more of a chance of getting on even terms with the Milton Keynes team in qualifying.

The FIA have informed all of the teams that they may no longer use different settings for engine maps between qualifying and the race. Red Bull’s rivals believe that use of a very aggressive map is one of the reasons why the Renault-powered RB7s have enjoyed up to a half second advantage in qualifying this year and specifically why they seem able to pull something out of the bag in Q3. Such a set-up would create more exhaust gases, which can then be used to create greater downforce by being blown over the rear-end diffuser.

The change comes ahead of FIA plans to ban off-throttle exhaust blown diffusers from next month’s British Grand Prix onwards.

Ferrari believe that these changes could turn around the world championship fight, and team principal Stefano Domenicali said in Canada: “We need to see in Silverstone, what is the real effect of this change in the regulations with regard to the effect of the exhaust. Then, we will see really where is the second championship in terms of the level of performance above all in higher downforce tracks."

Fernando Alonso, however, believes that Ferrari can be very strong on his second visit of 2011 to his Spanish homeland, after the 150° Italia’s performances in Monaco and Canada, and that victory may even be possible.

"I know that our fans are eagerly awaiting our first win of the season and I can assure you that the same goes for us," he says. "At the last two races, we showed we were clearly capable of winning and, especially in Monaco, we came pretty close, although I believe that even in Canada I could have fought for it all the way to the end, given what we had seen in qualifying.

"Now we go to a track with reasonably similar characteristics to Montreal and there is no obvious reason why we should not be competitive here too."

Last year the Spaniard lost out big time when the safety car was deployed, much to his chagrin, and is determined to make amends this year.

"I always believe that luck and bad luck balance out by the end of the season and maybe this unwritten rule also applies to race tracks," he said. “If that's the case, I would be more than happy if last year's misfortune was paid back now!"

Red Bull, meanwhile, will be hoping to get back into Victory Lane after Sebastian Vettel’s momentary lapse halfway round the last lap in Canada, and most of all Mark Webber would like to put memories of his dramatic 2010 360 degree back flip behind him and open his winning account in 2011.

“Valencia is a street circuit, but the average speed (200 km/h) is extremely high, so it’s tricky,” world champion Vettel says. “In general you need a lot of wing for the corners and less for the relatively long straights, which means you have to find a compromise.

“There are no run-off zones, so you can’t make any mistakes - a small slide and you end up in the wall... Overtaking is difficult and the only real possibility is in Turn 12. We had a good race there last year and the car should be good. I’m looking forward to it.”

Webber says: “Valencia hasn’t been an incredible venue for me in the past but I’m looking to try and break the duck this year. I quite enjoy driving the last sector of the track, as it’s got a really good combination of corners which are challenging. There’s no reason why the car shouldn’t perform well there, but as we’ve seen in the past few races, we’ve certainly had our fair share of competition.”

At McLaren, Jenson Button is ready to carry on providing that as he did in Canada, while Lewis Hamilton is looking for consolidation after his disappointments there.

“It’s been a fantastic week in the aftermath of the Canadian Grand Prix,” Button says. “I had a few days’ break immediately after the race, which was perfectly timed as it gave me the opportunity to take in all the positive memories of a crazy weekend, and to reflect on an incredible race. I wouldn’t say that winning in Montreal has given me extra motivation, because I was already totally committed, but I think it will help to sharpen the focus and conviction of everyone in the team. We’ve proved we can challenge and beat Sebastian, and we know we can fight for this world championship.

“I’m looking forward to Valencia. I had a good race there last year and I think the track shares some of the characteristics of Montreal and Monaco, so I’m confident that we’ll be competitive again. The trick will be to find enough performance in the race to overcome any potential difficulties in qualifying. It’s a hard place to pass and I don’t think that DRS is going to make it much easier during the race.”

Hamilton says: “For me, Valencia will be a weekend of consolidation after two disappointing results in Monaco and Canada. Those two races were particularly frustrating for me because we showed we had the pace to win both of them, yet I only came away with eight points.

“I’ve always gone well at Valencia, finishing second there in every race, and I really enjoy attacking the track. It’s a difficult circuit with no let-up, but that won’t deter me as I’m really keen to get back on track and get back in the points. This race will be our third street circuit in a row, so hopefully it’ll give me the chance to reverse the bad luck I’ve encountered in the previous two!

“We’ve arguably had the fastest race car in the last three races, and that’s really encouraging because I know that, when it’s put to best use, I should be able to finish at the front. As always, that will be my goal next weekend.”

Pirelli will bring their new medium compound tyre for the first time this weekend, after the successful trial on Friday in Canada. This will be the prime tyre, with the usual soft as the option. The PZero White medium tyre is not quite as durable as the hards, according to Pirelli, but is quicker while still representing a significant step over the option tyre.

"Tyre wear on this circuit is likely to be quite high because of the track layout, the nature of the surface, and also the weather conditions, which should be very warm,” says Pirelli’s motorsport director Paul Hembery. "For all these reasons, we've selected the medium and soft tyres, which should provide the teams with a good level of resistance, plenty of different opportunities for strategy and about a second per lap difference between the compounds.”

Another important factor to note is that following the introduction of a second DRS zone in Canada earlier this month, the FIA have confirmed that this weekend’s race will also feature two DRS zones. The first will be between Turns 10 and 12 and the second between Turns 14 and 17. As in Montreal, there will be a single detection point in Valencia, just prior to Turn Eight.

“We have two DRS zones here this year which, in combination with new tyre compounds from Pirelli, should almost certainly make things more interesting,” said race director Charlie Whiting.

“After a few years here it’s starting to look a little more lived-in now and more like a race track, which is good. And it’s unique, as the bridge across the harbour opens every night, so the circuit becomes incomplete until it’s closed again.”

It looks like being a warm weekend, albeit with the chance of thunderstorms in the region on Thursday and showers on Friday, but each of those days the ambient temperature will be a predicted 26 degrees Celsius, rising to 27 for Saturday and Sunday.

The race will run over 57 laps of the 5.419 kilometre (3.367 mile) circuit, or 308.883 kilometres (191.933 miles). It starts at 1400 hours local time, which is two hours ahead of GMT. There is only one minor circuit change since last year, with the tyre barriers at Turns 12 and 17 doubled in depth for increased safety
Old 06-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm expecting a snoozefest-Valencia does not promote good racing. I desperately hope I am wrong this time.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

How this seasons been going, I dont think it will. Some of the other races last year werent even close to being as good as this year.

Also, I read an article, that the new engines might be turbo sixes and not fours. I'll post the link later.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,065 Likes on 765 Posts
I'm expecting a snoozefest-Valencia does not promote good racing. I desperately hope I am wrong this time.
Valencia is the worst street course.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Senior Moderator

How this seasons been going, I dont think it will. Some of the other races last year werent even close to being as good as this year.

Also, I read an article, that the new engines might be turbo sixes and not fours. I'll post the link later.
Please do
Old 06-24-2011, 12:28 AM
2G TLX-S

Here's the link :

http://www.motorsport.com/#/f1/news/.../?v=2&s=1&i=14
Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Suzuka Master

I dont get why they want to be so "green"
I mean, I'm sure they try to improve upon fuel efficiency regardless because less fuel to start off with means less weight. So its not like the teams completely disregard fuel efficiency.

And the FIA wants to keep reducing costs, and yet they want new engines that will take lots and lots of testing, this would probably make costs go really high to do all that.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:30 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

F1 would be alot greener if they stopped the night races.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Valencia Practice 1

1. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault 1:40.403
2. Vitaly Petrov Russia Renault 1:41.227
3. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari 1:41.239
4. Lewis Hamilton Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1:41.510
5. Nick Heidfeld Germany Renault 1:41.580
6. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari 1:41.758
7. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1:41.926
8. Adrian Sutil Germany Force India-Mercedes 1:41.955
9. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes GP 1:42.043
10. Jaime Alguersuari Spain Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:42.216
11. Michael Schumacher Germany Mercedes GP 1:42.270
12. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:42.412
13. Rubens Barrichello Brazil Williams-Cosworth 1:42.704
14. Sergio Perez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari 1:42.738
15. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Williams-Cosworth 1:42.841
16. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1:42.941
17. Kamui Kobayashi Japan Sauber-Ferrari 1:43.201
18. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Force India-Mercedes 1:43.769
19. Heikki Kovalainen Finland Lotus-Renault 1:44.136
20. Jerome d'Ambrosio Belgium Virgin-Cosworth 1:45.026
21. Timo Glock Germany Virgin-Cosworth 1:45.221
22. Vitantonio Liuzzi Italy HRT-Cosworth 1:45.494
23. Narain Karthikeyan India HRT-Cosworth 1:46.926
24. Karun Chandhok India Lotus-Renault No Time
Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Valencia Practice 2

1. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari 1:37.968
2. Lewis Hamilton Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1:38.195
3. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1:38.265
4. Michael Schumacher Germany Mercedes GP 1:38.315
5. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari 1:38.443
6. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1:38.483
7. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault 1:38.531
8. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes GP 1:38.981
9. Nick Heidfeld Germany Renault 1:39.040
10. Vitaly Petrov Russia Renault 1:39.586
11. Adrian Sutil Germany Force India-Mercedes 1:39.626
12. Rubens Barrichello Brazil Williams-Cosworth 1:40.020
13. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Williams-Cosworth 1:40.301
14. Paul di Resta Britain Force India-Mercedes 1:40.363
15. Sebastien Buemi Switzerland Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:40.454
16. Sergio Perez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari 1:40.531
17. Kamui Kobayashi Japan Sauber-Ferrari 1:42.083
18. Heikki Kovalainen Finland Lotus-Renault 1:42.156
19. Jarno Trulli Italy Lotus-Renault 1:42.239
20. Timo Glock Germany Virgin-Cosworth 1:42.273
21. Jerome d'Ambrosio Belgium Virgin-Cosworth 1:42.809
22. Vitantonio Liuzzi Italy HRT-Cosworth 1:44.460
23. Narain Karthikeyan India HRT-Cosworth 1:46.906
24. Jaime Alguersuari Spain Toro Rosso-Ferrari No Time
Old 06-24-2011, 12:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
I dont get why they want to be so "green"
To "embrace" and include the "environmentally conscious" F1 racing fan. It's all marketing horse-shit.

Really. It's motor racing - going as fast as you possibly can to finish first. Where's the "economy" in that. They're not driving TDI Golfs.

Consider, through the season, all the wasted tires - manufactured but not used.

Or, worse, the HUGE environmental foot-print of taking the F1 road-show around the world every summer. There is nothing they can do race-wise/formula-wise to erase that.

The greenest possible F1 race/season is the one that doesn't occur. But that would effect the other, more important, green objective wouldn't it?

It's all just about painting a pretty picture for the eco-freindly crowd.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 06-24-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:09 PM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by F-C
F1 would be alot greener if they stopped the night races.
But the damn Europeans absolutely refuse to watch live F1 in the middle of the night !
Old 06-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

it was alright, probably least entertaining of the season

I really only like the fight between webber and alonso.

So did Mclaren and Ferrari switch places all of a sudden?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:34 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Seems that way. Ferrari seemed to have found a step, while McLaren struggled. It might just be a one off though.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:51 AM
AZ Community Team

Silverstone Start/Finish

Looking at the Hamilton lap at Silverstone in 2010 (https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...46&postcount=9) it looks like the Start/Finish position had Copse (?) as turn 1.

The F1 site, with the track map (http://www.formula1.com/races/in_det...t_diagram.html), shows the Start/Finish for 2011 moved back so that Abbey is now Turn 1.

Is that right? Did they move the Start/Finish?

Anyone know why?

Just curious.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:30 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Looking at the Hamilton lap at Silverstone in 2010 (https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...46&postcount=9) it looks like the Start/Finish position had Copse (?) as turn 1.

The F1 site, with the track map (http://www.formula1.com/races/in_det...t_diagram.html), shows the Start/Finish for 2011 moved back so that Abbey is now Turn 1.

Is that right? Did they move the Start/Finish?

Anyone know why?

Just curious.
It's got to be a mistake. Good catch though.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F-C
It's got to be a mistake. Good catch though.
Nope. Looks like they moved the Start/Finish line.

.... “The circuit at Silverstone has moved with the times and, after a new layout last year, 2011 will see the start-finish line move to its third location in the circuit’s history, as well as the introduction of a modern pits complex. In spite of these changes, though, the circuit has retained its essential high-speed character and the drivers universally love it.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/09/sp...RF1POST09.html

.... 2011 will see the introduction of a new pit area and start/finish line just before the Arena complex.

http://www.thef1times.com/news/display/00904

Quick Reply: Formula One: 2011 Season News and Discussion Thread **Abu Dhabi GP (page 8)**