Formula E: News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:50 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
https://racer.com/2018/10/15/vandoor...ula-e-for-hwa/

Stoffel Vandoorne has revealed he will race in Formula E for new entrant HWA RACELAB at the end of the Formula 1 season.

McLaren announced in September that Vandoorne will leave its team at the end of the season, with Lando Norris partnering Carlos Sainz in an all-new driver line-up in 2019. The Belgian has now confirmed he is switching to Formula E with Mercedes-affiliated HWA, and will test for the team on Tuesday in Valencia before heading to the United States Grand Prix. Van Doorne will partner newly crowned DTM champion Gary Paffett in the two-car squad.

While new to FE, HWA is a longtime entrant in the DTM championship, where it manages the AMG Mercedes team and builds the Mercedes DTM cars and engines. It also builds Mercedes Formula 3 race engines.

“Today, a new racing series, a new challenge and a new team for me has been announced: I will be making my Formula E debut in the 2018/19 season as a member of the HWA RACELAB squad,” Vandoorne said.

“I am honored that HWA have signed me for their Formula E program. HWA are such a great team with a long and successful history in motorsport. All the people I’ve met so far are really passionate about racing. Also, it’s great to work alongside such an experienced driver as Gary Paffett. I am pretty sure that we will benefit from each other during the season.

“At the same time, I would like to thank everyone at McLaren for having supported me throughout the last seven years, starting with the Young Drivers’ Program days, through to my two seasons as a test driver and finally, as a Formula 1 driver. Over these fantastic years I have met incredibly skilled and caring people who have made me feel part of the family, I have learned about discipline, tricks and patience and I am proud to say, today I am a better driver.”

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff has previously given Vandoorne his public backing as he was seeking an F1 seat, and the 26-year-old is now part of the team that acts as a forerunner to a full Mercedes manufacturer entry in the 2019/20 season.

“The team name HWA RACELAB bundles the DNA of HWA AG,” explained Ulrich Fritz, HWA RACELAB team principal. “Since the company was founded in 1998, our core area of expertise has been developing, researching and running cars in motor racing. In order to compete successfully in the ABB FIA Formula E Championship, the focus on, and confidence in, these areas of expertise will be particularly important.

“We’re looking forward to the new challenges that come with Formula E. Over the past weeks and months, we’ve worked very hard to lay a solid foundation, upon which to enter this fiercely-competitive series. In doing so, we’ve benefited greatly from the experience gained in cooperation with the Venturi team, whom we supported last season as technical partner. We’re now well positioned with our own team to compete under our own flag. We’re approaching this challenge with a healthy mixture of confidence and respect. The season ahead will be a learning year for HWA RACELAB, but I’m confident that we’ll very quickly establish ourselves and be competitive in the series.”

RACER understands HWA is also close to finalizing a Formula 2 entry in 2019, having recently announced it will race in the new Formula 3 championship that will replace GP3.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:11 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
The sport has a long way to go, but the headlines about it are staggering. This series will be exciting for a while.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:50 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
I've always liked it, loving the fact that it's getting bigger and better.

I attended the MiamiEPrix with my daughters and I had a blast.

Most of my friends made fun of me because I liked it but I'm used to that - I live in the US and my favorite sport is F1 so been there done that.
The following 2 users liked this post by R J Poseidon 6:
00TL-P3.2 (10-15-2018), kurtatx (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Azine Jabroni

Whatever is best for racing. Formula E isn't a parade at least. It has a long way to go but it's definitely forward thinking and numerous manufacturers are involved.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:23 AM
~HondaF1~

...and drivers too!

It's filled with great talent.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:19 AM

https://jalopnik.com/at-least-seven-...-in-1830566057

Just six months after the country lifted its ban on female driving, several women race-car drivers will participate in a Formula E test session on the Saudi Arabian streets. The test will happen right after the Formula E race in the city of Ad Diriyah on Dec. 15, and at least seven women will drive in it.

Formula E, an all-electric racing series that’s only a few years old yet has manufacturers flocking to it to test their electric technology in harsh racing conditions, will also have women drivers flocking to it—for at least one day, that is. Seven of the listed 22 spots for Formula E’s first in-season test of the year in Ad Diriyah next month are women, and a Formula E announcement said two other teams are looking to book female drivers for the test as well.

The women currently on the list include Sauber Formula One test driverTatiana Calderon, Formula 4 driver Amna Al Qubaisi, British Formula 3 winner Jamie Chadwick, Supercars driver Simona de Silvestro, BMW Motorsport’s Beitske Visser, IMSA driver Katherine Legge, and former Lotus F1 development driver Carmen Jorda. They’ll make up nearly a third of the drivers at the test.

It’s great to hear about an influx of women into typically male-dominated racing. But there’s a lot going on under the seemingly positive surface here, like the report that Formula E offered teams—none of whom actually have a woman competing for them next season, according to the entry list the series published last week—an incentive to book women for the test session.

The incentive is that any teams who book a woman for the test will get an extra car to run during said test, according to a Motorsport.com report. Here was the exact wording, from the story:

Formula E will host an in-season test after the Ad Diriyah ePrix, with extra slots handed to teams that run a female driver in addition to their regular racers.

All teams that have arranged to run a female driver will be allowed to enter two cars in each session.

Audi and Jaguar are the only teams running a single entry during the test.
More cars during a test session means more data to build off of for the season, so it’s solid motivation to follow through. Jalopnik has reached out to Formula E to confirm that teams putting a female driver in their test lineup will get an extra car like Motorsport.com reports, and will update this if we hear back.

In most situations, it’s understandable to offer incentive to get teams to add women to their lineups. People often need a nudge, or sometimes a hard shove, to break their usual habit of overlooking other candidates in favor of the ones who look like race-car drivers mostly have in history: white and male. But if incentive was offered here, it all feels a little icky—as if the goal was also to make the headlines about all of the women testing rather than about another international motorsport heading to a country known for its oppression.

Formula E starts its seasons at the end of one year and runs them well into the next, meaning the 2018-2019 season starts next month. This year’s opener and the site of the test session is the street circuit in Saudi Arabia, which, as you might know, has a record of human-rights abusesinvolving but not limited to women and people on the LGBTQ+ spectrum. Women have only legally been able to drive in the country since June of this year, after all.

That’s why it was a shock when Formula E announced a 10-year agreement with the sporting bodies in a country so focused on oil production and so lacking in basic rights like female driving, since the series features such progressive car technology. (This is the series that flip-flopped on grid girls, so, you know.)

When asked about the move’s impacts on women and other groups by journalist and Jalopnik contributor Hazel Southwell for Motorsport101, Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag said female participation would be a focus in Saudi Arabia:

We have of course received complete assurances, actually it has been the request of the Saudi authorities that women participate, drive in the Formula E event, and if they are not in a racing team we will organise some way for women to drive around the track, do a demonstration which is really the intention of the new years of Saudi Arabia to showcase that change.

Women will be allowed at the event as spectators, obviously women that come from abroad, like yourself will be allowed to come, work and report on the race. We see that as a great element of change in a country that didn’t have all those right in the past.
And female driving participation there will be, since Formula E reportedly offered the extra car as a reward for it. The end result is positive: people who break the typical white, male mold making up more and more of the driving field, normalizing their presence there, and getting to show off their skills in front of a larger audience.

But the path get there was twisted, and, as we’ve seen from the all-male lineup for next year’s Formula E season, the triumph could mostly be short lived.

Update, Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2018 at 8:38 a.m. ET: A spokesperson from Formula E confirmed to Jalopnik that the series is offering teams an extra car if they run a female driver, saying the “local promoter of the event has been working with the teams to encourage female participation in the test.”
Old 12-13-2018, 12:15 PM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
Season 5 (2018-19) kicks off this weekend. Debut of the Gen 2 cars....

Old 12-13-2018, 12:53 PM
~HondaF1~

Haa ... I just finished video 2 at lunch.

Glad you posted on here for everyone....

I'm stoked for this weekend.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:06 PM
Race Director

Yeah, I'm stoked, too.

It's a perfect antidote to the winter doldrums as we wait for the 2019 F1 season to get going in March of next year ....
Old 12-13-2018, 01:17 PM
~HondaF1~

Yea, and it's getting bigger and bigger every year.

I still have friends that say stupid stuff like 'I can't hear them!' but there's great racing and I love the tech involved.

...and look at the lineup! There's some great racers in there! Phoking awesome man
Old 12-14-2018, 11:47 AM
Race Director

Porsche Confirms Jani for Formula E Entry

Neel Jani is the first driver announced at Porsche’s Formula E team…
https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/po...rmula-e-entry/
Old 12-14-2018, 12:22 PM
~HondaF1~

....and growing and growing.

I just watched the shakedown today at half power - lookin' saucy!!

I can't wait to see these things unleashed at full power!!
Old 01-10-2019, 10:07 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e...sible/4321373/

Mark Rushbrook, global head of Ford Performance Motorsports, told Motorsport.comt that FE was "still on the sheet of paper we are looking at" as it considers an entry into what he called "electrified motorsport".

His comments come a year after Ford was engaged in high-level talks with FE and appeared close to signing up for the series.

"We have been looking very closely through 2018 across all different forms of racing to understand what the options are for electrified motorsport, whether hybrid or full electric," said Rushbrook.

"Given what our cycle plan is for road cars we are very interested in adding an electrified form of motorsport in the near future.

"We continue to study all or most of those options, and I suspect we will be making decisions in early '19."

Rushbrook insisted that there is "still room" for Ford on the FE grid even though it will hit its 12-team, 24-car capacity with the arrival of Porsche in season six in 2019/20.

"It would mean joining up with an existing team, partnering with someone on the grid today," he said.

Ford would not be able to develop its own powertrain for season six because it is not on the list of homologated manufacturers published last April and would need to register its intent to do so for season seven by February 1 this year should if find a partner.

Ford is known to have had discussions with the Penske-owned Dragon Racing team 12 months ago.

The US manufacturer is evaluating its future in motorsport as it looks beyond its present commitment to the Ford GT programme, which is confirmed until the end of the 2018/19 WEC and the 2019 IMSA season.

Rushbrook appeared to rule out an entry into WEC's the new hypercar concept prototype class that will come on stream for the 2020/21 season.

He said that a common set of regulations between the premier classes of the WEC and the IMSA SportsCar Championship was "a big part of what we were aiming and hoping for".

It appears there is little enthusiasm for the hypercar rules among the North American championship's existing participants in the Daytona Prototype international category on grounds of cost.

But Rushbrook didn't rule out an IMSA entry in the DPi category, even though the category doesn't allow for hybrid technology under present rules that will remain in force until the end of 2021.

"I will say that DPi is on the table and part of it is driven by the budget that is related to it," he explained.

"While DPi isn't electrified today, I don't know that it won't be in the future."

It is widely anticipated that the Ford GT programme will end after the existing commitments, but Rushbrook insisted that there was "always the option to continue it".
Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 AM
~HondaF1~

It's getting huge!!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:15 AM

https://jalopnik.com/formula-es-part...-th-1833091705

It’s been two years since Formula E lost their London ePrix at Battersea Park, the series’ season finale. The rumor mill has been active ever since with speculation of a UK return—now, we’ve finally got confirmation that the series will be back in London. And the circuit—partially indoor with 23 turns—is going to be the wildest one during the season.

The previous London ePrix took place at Battersea Park, which became a point of contention for NIMBY neighbors who were not cool about the fact that there were race cars in their family park.Trying to find a well-trafficked location in a city center is one of Formula E’s main challenges when it comes to race organization, and it’s been one of the toughest parts about orchestrating London’s return.

The next London ePrix, which will make its return as the double-header finale of the 2019/20 FE season, will be located at the city’s Royal Victoria Docks and ExCeL London (a convention center-like event space). Composed of a whopping 23 turns next to the Thames river, the circuit looks like it’s going to be a hell of a lot of fun.

Most interesting, though, is that Formula E is advertising this as a “one-of-a-kind track indoor/outdoor” track. A what?

Yeah. This circuit is designed to dip into and traverse the inside of the ExCeL London building before it shoots back out onto the street. This isn’t a move that any other racing series has pulled, with the exception of Monaco’s tunnel if you count that as an indoor space.

And that’s not all. I would like to present to you a very specific section of track. I hesitate to say it’s a section of esses, because that implies a smoother flow than, uh, this. But I have no idea what else to call it:

One sharp 180 degree turn is one thing, but stacking one on top of the other? After you jump outside after a section of indoor track? That’s just cruelty. This is going to be a beautiful mess, and I’m here for it. Props to you, Formula E, for designing the absurd tracks that no one else will.

That said, Formula E notes that the circuit is still “subject to circuit homologation and approval of the FIA World Motor Sport Council,” which means the indoor-outdoor double-esses concept could still be nixed.

Formula E and the Royal Docks have negotiated a “multi-year deal” for the London ePrix, so, no matter what, UK fans will have a home race for the first time in four years.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:06 PM
~HondaF1~

This should be interesting!

But I'll miss the Big Apple as the double header finale...
Old 04-02-2019, 02:43 PM

https://carbuzz.com/news/tesla-to-en...cing-this-year

Since launching in 2014, the Formula E series has become increasingly popular as more major manufacturers sign up to the electric racing championship. Jaguar Racing joined the championship back in 2016 and BMW and Mercedes are entering Formula E next year. It’s also probably a matter of time before Porsche signs up.

But one electric carmaker has been conspicuously absent from the championship: Tesla. To be fair, the company has been extremely busy lately, rectifying Model 3 production issues, unveiling the new Model Y SUV, and developing future models such as the Roadster and Semi.

Better late than never, Tesla has announced it will enter the 2019-2020 Formula E championship with a bespoke electric race car. This won’t be the first time Tesla has made a foray into motorsport either, as a one-make Tesla racing series, known as the Electric Production Car Series, has also been given the green light by the FIA.

Tesla hasn’t announced any technical details for its new race car yet. To meet regulations, current Formula E race cars are powered by a lightweight 54 kWh battery that weighs just 551 pounds. While the first-generation Formula E racers only lasted 25 minutes that meant drivers had to inconveniently swap cars mid-race, the current cars have a longer range of 50 minutes, which can last for the entire race. They have a maximum power output of 335 hp and can sprint from 0-62 mph in 2.8 seconds before hitting a top speed of 174 mph.

With Tesla now entering Formula E, next year’s cars will be significantly faster, lighter, and have even longer ranges.

More details will be announced in the run-up to Tesla’s Formula E debut this December. Round one will take place at the Ad-Diriyah Street Circuit in Saudi Arabia. Other confirmed circuits in season six include the Seoul Street Circuit in South Korea and the ExCeL Arena Circuit in London.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:07 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,067 Likes on 767 Posts
Can't wait for Musk's tweets about how unfair the FIA is when his team doesn't win. This will be gold.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:41 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e...arano/4364074/

Mercedes has run its new ABB FIA Formula E car in testing for the first time, with Stoffel Vandoorne and Edoardo Mortara driving at the Varano circuit.

The test took place over three days on March 27-29, with former Mercedes DTM driver and current Venturi FE racer Mortara driving in place of HWA's Gary Paffett, who was racing in the Intercontinental GT Challenge event at Laguna Seca last weekend.After running to the mandated 50km on the opening shakedown day, Mercedes reached a total distance of 527km over the final two days.
Motorsport.com has clarified that these days have used up two of Mercedes' 15 manufacturer testing days that each powertrain builder is permitted to use ahead of the 2019/20 championship."When a new racing car comes to life for the first time and goes out onto the track, that's always a very special moment," said Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff.
"Not only have we reached an important milestone for our as yet young team, but we have also laid a solid foundation for further development.

"But there is still a lot of work to do before our race debut when the next season starts towards the end of this year."

HWA, which made its FE debut as a works FE squad in the current 2018/19 campaign, will run Mercedes FE race team, with the squad receiving technical assistance from its Formula 1 team and its powertrain being built by its Brixworth engine base.

A Mercedes statement explained the purpose of the initial running was to "compile as much information and data as possible about the first version of the power unit and the rest of the drive assembly".

"We are very pleased with the progress made during our first test with the new car," said Ian James, managing director of Mercedes-Benz Formula E Ltd.

"The first days of testing at Varano were a very important step in the development of our team.

"We brought together experts from our different sites at Affalterbach, Brackley, Brixworth and Stuttgart, and at the end of a successful three days, they left as members of a team - it was the birth of the Mercedes-Benz EQ Formula E Team.

"In the coming weeks and months, many more milestones will follow on the way to our first race."

Old 04-03-2019, 09:51 AM
Azine Jabroni

I'm getting really excited for the future of this series. An American manufacturer like Ford would do so much for the series.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:28 AM
~HondaF1~

Oh yea, it's on like Donkey Kong now.

I was mega worried at first, I went to the Miami ePrix and they almost couldn't give them away. There really wasn't too many people there.

In fact, I got tickets for free from the FormulaE Twatter account and when I got there to check in (I was only given 2 reggy tickets), they noticed I brought my mom, her hubby and my daughters (it was a trailer check in with a/c and it was hot as balls that day) and they upgraded the tickets to the stands right at the start line including my family! Clutch move. I was going to buy them anyways, it was something stupid like $25 or something....

So yeah, from it being dead AF to now being huge with a stacked field (I mean c'mon, there's a ton of good racers and manufacturers there), it's here to stay. I dig it.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:23 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Need to get rid of the spec formula for me to be interested.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:34 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by F-C
Need to get rid of the spec formula for me to be interested.
They probably won't. The reason manufacturers are involved is because the spending is limited as it's a spec series. I would think manufacturers might run for the hills if it becomes Formula 1
Old 04-03-2019, 02:55 PM
~HondaF1~

Season 1 was really bad, no tweaking at all. Same everything.

Then they allowed them to have different trannys etc. I remember some being one speed, some 2, some 3....

It's getting better and better!
Old 04-04-2019, 05:47 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I get that it's a conundrum. But it really irks me when the manufacturers pretend that these are unique cars made by the factory when they aren't.
Maybe one the day series will have enough money to make the formula open.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:02 PM
~HondaF1~

Here's some cool insight:

Old 04-16-2019, 04:50 PM
~HondaF1~

Pretty cool to see the cars jumping!

Good stuff all around.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:45 PM

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e...-race/4378813/

Former French Secretary of State Griveaux is one of the top contenders hoping to be nominated by the La Republique En Marche (LREM) party for the Paris election.

LREM was founded just three years ago by current President Emmanuel Macron and therefore didn't take part in the previous municipal elections. Recent polling suggests that, if Griveaux were to be nominated, he would make it to the second round of the election against incumbent Anne Hidalgo (Socialist Party), an enthusiastic supporter of the Paris E-Prix.

Last weekend, Griveaux hit out at the race, which was run around Les Invalides for a fourth year in a row.

"We poured 9,000 cubic metres of tarmac for just a few hours of racing. Tarmac that will be removed that very same day. This is an ecological aberration", he told BFM TV (although it should be noted that figure is actually 7,080 square metres, and, furthermore, that tarmac is fully recycled after the race and FE has also offered to fix potholes in the area).

Griveaux, bizarrely, complained about Formula E's "thundering engines" in a column he published, and also called the series "elitist" when speaking to Le Parisien.

"An iconic place of Paris is privatised for the benefit of the few, just posh people," he said. "The City purposefully blocks off a district when there [already] is construction work everywhere. It makes the mess even messier.

"Tickets are very expensive [€55 for adult grandstand seats, €27.50 for concessions; all other areas are free]. They're given to the district's inhabitants for free, but it compensates for huge disturbance.

"Aren't there enough traffic jams in Paris? Formula E cars develop 270bhp [actually 250 kW/335bhp] and reach a 230km/h top speed [officially 280km/h]. How is that in tune with Parisians' expectations, when the average speed during rush hour is 16km/h?"

Although the Paris E-Prix contract was recently extended until 2022, Griveaux claimed that he would cancel the race as early as 2020 if he were to be elected.

He said: "If Parisians vote me in, I will revoke the contract. This event brings nothing to Paris and doesn't convert anyone to electric vehicles. Among the constructors that sponsor the race, the first entry-level model costs €40,000 [Mahindra's cheapest model is in fact €6,000]."

It is worth noting that Griveaux has adopted a different stance from LREM city councillors, who recently voted in favour for the Paris E-Prix to be run until 2022.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:47 PM

Griveaux, bizarrely, complained about Formula E's "thundering engines" in a column he published, and also called the series "elitist" when speaking to Le Parisien.

"Tickets are very expensive [€55 for adult grandstand seats, €27.50 for concessions; all other areas are free]. They're given to the district's inhabitants for free, but it compensates for huge disturbance.

FE is far from thundering. Even F1 isn't all that thundering currently.

Currect exchange rates put 55 Euro at around 62 USD. Clearly he hasn't seen the rates for F1 ticketing.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:03 AM

https://jalopnik.com/formula-e-teams...ion-1836278402

The FIA, Formula E’s regulating body, is finally taking steps to better regulate racing teams suspected of using software curiously similar to traction control, which is against the rules and rather surprising given how tightly controlled the cars are. Apparently kindly asking the teams not to do it didn’t work.

This development is surprising even to regulars covering Formula E, including friend of Jalopnik and freelance contributor Hazel Southwell:

The first of the new regulations will go into effect in the next season, season six,and will monitor teams for how they program the action of the driver pressing the accelerator with how the car itself interprets that input.

That’s what is called throttle pedal mapping, it’s totally normal, but has room for this kind exploitation, so teams will have to provide this mapping for review, reports E-racing365:

As a result, the FIA will now insist on throttle pedal maps to be included in homologated Season Six hardware.

The new regulation will measure power levels, known colloquially as ‘tunnels’ by teams, in relation to matrix tables and competitors will have a week before the start of the season to declare their throttle pedal maps to the governing body.
E-racing365 also reports that every team save for two on the field in March’s Hong Kong race this year was using some sort of software that functioned similar to a traction control system. Since that race, E-racing365 claims everyteam has adopted some form of similar system.

The way E-racing365 claims the clever rule-bending system works by managing the speed of the motor-generator units, the regenerative motors which can both recover and produce energy at the wheels, when exiting corners.

Since electric motor regen effectively acts like braking, with the right software, teams can manage the speed of the motor for optimal traction in turns without having to use the brakes, like a traditional (and probably more detectable) traction control system.

In theory, homologated throttle mapping should prevent any single team from having an unfair advantage, since the power levels on all the cars should act the same.

The problem now is that teams now have a few months leading up to the next season to find a way of working around the new regulation. The long-term solution involves sensors measuring torque levels at the driveshaft itself, which won’t be implemented until season seven.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:21 PM

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e...ments/4495433/

Freshly re-crowned Formula E champion Jean-Eric Vergne has been handed one day of community service for unsportsmanlike behaviour in the first race in New York City due to comments made over the team radio.

The punishment does not impact on his 2018/19 ABB FIA FE championship win or his results in New York this weekend. The decision to give Vergne community service is related to Article 12.3.1c of the FIA's sporting code

The governing body can hand out this sanction at its discretion it is why Max Verstappen
attended the Marrakech FE race in January after shoving Esteban Ocon following Formula 1's 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix. It is not yet clear how Vergne will serve his community service, but he must serve it within the next six months.

Motorsport.com has heard Vergne's team radio following his involvement in the first pile-up in the opening New York race, which also involved his DS Techeetah team-mate Andre Lotterer. With both Techeetah cars damaged, Vergne twice asked his team to tell Lotterer to stop on track in order to cause a safety car.

He then asked if the team had heard him and Techeetah told him that it had.

It is unclear when in the race the messages were made by Vergne and he pitted due to a puncture on the lap of the crash while Lotterer continued. On the next lap, Lotterer crashed at the second corner with his front wing trapped under his car, although he continued and returned to the pits for repairs.

Regarding the penalty, Vergne told Motorsport.com: "Yeah if I asked every other driver in F1 or in Formula E, they would have asked the same. You crawl by, you see your team-mate one lap down, car is broken, front wing like this in the wall, it's something normal [to ask].

"Everyone would ask the same. It’s not like he was running for position with the car fine [or] I asked to put it [the car] in the wall like something in the past that has happened."

Vergne had suggested Audi played a part in the punishment, saying: "Audi were extremely pissed off that my team protested them yesterday. So they found anything to protest us. As simple as that."

Audi denied protesting Vergne over the issue when contacted by Motorsport.com and was not mentioned in the full FIA explanation (see below).

Speaking before his punishment was made official, Vergne said he was happy to be made an example of if it prevented other drivers repeating the offence.

"I'm happy for whatever penalty they give me to set an example that the drivers, and me included, have to stop complaining on the radio to try and make things happen for their own benefit," he said.

"In Formula 1, everybody is doing this and [in] Formula E as well. I would be very happy to take the blame so that we stop complaining about things for our benefit to create and bring out a safety car, bring another penalty for another driver.

"It would be good [to stop this]."

Stewards decision in full

The Stewards, having listened to team radio communications between the driver of car 25 [Vergne], and his team during round 12 [on Saturday], summoned the driver of car 25 and the team manager of the Techeetah Formula E Team to conduct an inquiry into a suspected contravention by the driver of car 25 of Appendix B of the International Sporting Code of the FIA, the Code of Good Conduct.

The team radio communications in question suggested that the driver of car 25
requested his engineer to direct his team-mate, the driver of car 36 [Lotterer], to stop his car on the circuit to cause the race director to call a safety car intervention during round 12.

The stewards heard from the driver of car 25 and his team manager. The relevant extracts from the radio communications were played. The driver of car 25 acknowledged that he had called his engineer during round 12 and made the following utterance:

“Tell Andre to stop ... to bring out the Safety Car"

Mr Vergne said that these messages were conveyed in the following context: The team radio communications in question suggested that the driver of car 25 requested his engineer to direct his team-mate, the driver of car 36, to stop his car on the circuit to cause the race director to call a safety car intervention during round 12.

He held concerns for his safety and that of other drivers due to debris on track and made the request to his engineer that car 36 be requested to stop for that reason only.

The driver of car 25 said that he recognises that his messages could be misunderstood. He acknowledged, with the benefit of hindsight, the messages were inappropriate, particularly having been made on an open channel which is available to the public via the E-App and which he was aware could be monitored by race officials.

The stewards noted that car 25’s engineer did not respond to the messages from Mr Vergne.

The stewards accept the explanation of Mr Vergne but it is the obligation of a sportsman at this level to act in a fair and correct manner and as a role model to other drivers at all levels of motorsport.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:20 PM
~HondaF1~

Loved this season, the best yet.

...and wow what a horrible last race for Massa!

Yikes.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:01 PM

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e...eetah/4496553/

Porsche has signed Andre Lotterer to complete its line-up for its debut ABB FIA Formula E season in 2019/20.

Lotterer left the DS Techeetah team following the final round of the 2018/19 FE season, where he helped the squad win the teams’ championship for the first time

The triple Le Mans winnerwill join the already-announced Neel Janiin the Porsche line-up for next season.

Lotterer has been a factory Porsche driver since 2017, the year he joined the manufacturer’s LMP1 team following Audi’s withdrawal from the World Endurance Championship at the end of the previous campaign

“I’m really looking forward to competing for Porsche in the ABB FIA Formula E championship in the 2019/2020 season,” said Lotterer.

“I have been part of the Porsche family since 2017 and have lots of great memories of joint successes – particularly when working with Neel.

“We drove together in the Porsche LMP1 team in 2017, and drove for Rebellion Racing in the WEC these past two years. It’s great that we will now be the driver pairing for the Porsche Formula E team.

“I’m looking forward to the new task and to the future collaboration with the team.”

Jani has been driving for Porsche during the opening phase of its 2019/20 private manufacturer testing alongside former Porsche LMP1 driver Brendon Hartley.

Hartley said earlier this year that he was “definitely interested” in joining the Porsche FE squadas a race driver for next season, but the team was understood to have preferred signing a driver with previous FE race experience.

Jani did compete in the first two races of the 2017/18 FE championship in Hong Kong with Dragon Racing, but he left the team after that event.

Fritz Enzinger, vice president of Porsche motorsport and acting head of its FE team, said: “Signing Andre for the second Porsche Formula E cockpit is definitely the right choice.

"He has been a Porsche works driver for three years and knows the team and Neel really well. And we can only benefit from the experience that Andre will bring from the past two Formula E seasons.

“Neel and Andre make the perfect driver pairing for Porsche’s works entry into Formula E. We are looking forward to entering our maiden season in the ABB FIA Formula E championship for the 2019/2020 season with this strong driver pairing.”

DS Techeetah, which helped Lotterer to a trio of runner-up finishes during his time with the squad, paid tribute to the departing German in its statement.

"Until this season where we’ve been reinforced by our colleagues at DS Automobiles, we’ve been an incredibly small team where it has been instrumental for all team members to go the extra mile, including our drivers and Andre has really put this into effect,” said DS Techeetah team principal Mark Preston.

“So for that, together with the points he has racked up with us to win the teams’ championship this year, and almost clinched last year, we’d like to say thanks to Andre for this time and wish him the best of luck with his new pursuit.”

DS Performance Director Xavier Mestelan Pinon added: “I salute and thank Andre for the fantastic work he has done this season. Without him and the valuable points he earned; the titles would have been more complicated to concur.

“His involvement and his performance were paramount in our victories and titles. See you soon on the track!”

DS Techeetah is now looking for a replacement for Lotterer, who is understood to have had a contract for the 2019/20 season, to join Vergne and a team statement said it has already “been approached by multiple high-level drivers”.

The team is therefore “evaluating” which driver it will sign and the statement concluded that “this will be announced in due course”.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:34 PM

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e...uting/4504549/

Mercedes has announced that ex-Formula 1 driver Esteban Gutierrez will run with its ABB FIA Formula E squad at a four-day test in Mallorca this week.

Gutierrez completed three FE races with the Techeetah squad in the 2016/17 season following his exit from the Haas F1 squad at the end of '16

But he left the electric championship to drive for Dale Coyne Racing in the IndyCar series during the 2017 season.

Gutierrez has been working for Mercedes as a development driver for its F1 squad during 2019.

Mercedes is continuing its private FE manufacturer-allocated testing programme as it gears up for its entry into the championship in 2019/20 when it will take over the HWA entry that competed as a feeder team for the marque during the last campaign.

This week's test is taking place on the Spanish island of Mallorca, with Gutierrez joining former Mercedes DTM driver and current Venturi FE racer Edoardo Mortara and HWA 2018/19 FE driver Stoffel Vandoorne to complete the running.

HWA's other FE driver, Gary Paffett, has also driven the Mercedes development FE car during previous tests at the Varano circuit in Italy.

At the recent 2018/19 FE season finale in New York, Paffett explained that Mercedes' current testing programme was "about getting mileage, cementing the reliability and things like that".

"It was good," he told Motorsport.com regarding his time in the car. "Reliability has been strong and the mileage has been good.

"The kind of power delivery and things like that is smooth, which is always difficult with these things - making sure the systems all work together.

"There's still a lot of work to do, especially on the system side of things and ironing out the robustness of the system and the powertrain.

"I think the first couple of tests have gone well and we're on the right tracks. [But] there's a long way to go. We've got enough time to do it but it's whether we can reach the point we need to be at by the end of the cycle."

Old 09-10-2019, 09:26 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e...t-fia/4537945/

The official entry list for the 2019/20 ABB FIA Formula E season has been released by the governing body, ahead of Mercedes and Porsche joining the grid.

The 2019/20 campaign will feature FE’s biggest grid to date with 24 cars, up from 22 last season when HWA was added the field as a Venturi Racing customer outfit

HWA’s entry is replaced by the factory Mercedes effort as expected, with HWA continuing to operate the race team on behalf of the manufacturer.

Mercedes’ driver line-up for its debut season in the electric single seater category will be revealed at the Frankfurt Motor Show on Wednesday

Porsche formally launched its first FE car with a livestream event on gaming platform Twitch last month.

The team will field Andre Lotterer and Neel Jani as its first FE drivers, with the team being led by a unique four-person management structure.

Full entry list:

Audi Sport ABT
BMW Andretti
Dragon
DS Techeetah
Envision Virgin Racing
Jaguar Racing
Nissan e.dams
NIO
Porsche
Mahindra Racing
Venturi Racing
Mercedes

Old 09-10-2019, 10:56 AM
Azine Jabroni

I thought Tesla was supposed to have a car...?
Old 10-03-2019, 09:33 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e...rtara/4552030/

The Venturi Formula E squad will run as a customer Mercedes operation for the 2019/20 season and will retain its line-up of ex-Formula 1 driver Felipe Massa and Edoardo Mortara.

Venturi, which previously had a technical partnership with Mercedes-affiliate HWA and supplied that operation’s FE team with powertrains last season, will use the same technology that will power Mercedes’ Silver Arrow 01 package and has been developed by its Brixworth High Performance Powertrains division

This means using the same inverter, motor, rear axle components and energy management software, as well as Mercedes’ cooling system, rear frame, rear suspension, dampers, software, onboard electronics and wiring looms.

Venturi and Mercedes have also co-operated over the manufacturer’s allocation of 15 private pre-season test days

This meant Mortara shared driver development duties primarily with Mercedes racer Stoffel Vandoorne, and also his 2019/20 teammate Nyck de Vries, 2018/19 HWA FE racer Gary Paffett and Mercedes F1 development driver Esteban Gutierrez.

Susie Wolff, Venturi’s team principal, explained that the switch to becoming a Mercedes customer had been “a primarily a strategic decision from Gildo [Pastor, Venturi president]” who “recognised in season four [2016/17] that the competition was getting higher and higher in Formula E and he wanted to align himself with a manufacturer”.

“I came on-board and it was then clear that we would align ourselves with Mercedes-Benz,” Wolff continued to Motorsport.com.

“We are a small Monagasque team, but I don’t think the size of a team has a direct relation to performance in Formula E.

“But because of our size it was clear that in order to fight at the front against some of the biggest manufacturers in the world, we would need to align ourselves with a manufacturer.

“And with my relationship [with Mercedes] and Gildo’s strategy it was clear that it was going to be Mercedes-Benz.

“It’s a great decision for the team – it means we can focus on performance and not worry about the development of a powertrain and the supply of a powertrain, which was very demanding last year.”

Wolff explained that by sharing Mercedes’ private testing days – as opposed to taking a set number of days to test separately, which is the approach taken by Audi and Envision Virgin Racing – was taking the customer relationship “one step further”.

“Our number one focus and aim of the pre-season testing was to make sure that the powertrain is ready for race one,” she added.

“And all the testing was focussed on reliability and performance of the powertrain and in order for us to do that in the best way possible it made the most sense to share all the days so that we’d be much more efficient.”

Massa completed the first of his three-year deal with Venturi in 2018/19 and Mortara’s place in the team’s line-up was expected to continue for the upcoming campaign.

Wolff stressed the importance of continuity on the driver front for Venturi, which took its first FE victory when Mortara was promoted from second place in Hong Kong last season following Virgin driver Sam Bird’s post-race penalty.

“Because of the decision already being made that we were switching to customer status, the development tailed off towards the end of the year [and] we were unable to keep up with the other teams as the season progressed,” she said.

“So that made it difficult for the drivers in the second half of the season.

“But I think we showed as a team that if have the right package and we maximise the opportunities and minimise the mistakes we’re capable of racing at the front.”

Venturi is set to reveal a new livery for 2019/20 "soon", according to a team statement.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:01 PM

Old 10-31-2019, 09:42 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e...-gen3/4589738/

New Formula E CEO Jamie Reigle says the electric championship could reintroduce pitstops along with a potential fast-charging focus for its Gen3 car – an idea he calls “the big one”.

Pitstops have not been mandatory in FE since the introduction of the Gen2 car – which was designed to ease fears over electric vehicle range anxiety – for the 2018/19 season

That car will be used for four campaigns to the end of the 2021/22 season, as revealed by Motorsport.com, while undergoing a facelift at the end of the upcoming 2019/20 championship to a ‘Gen2.5’ bodykit.

The teams and manufacturers, the FIA and FE are already involved in discussions over the nature of the Gen3 car – with all-wheel drive, revised battery shapes, torque vectoring and higher overall power levels among suggested ideas

Reigle, the ex-Manchester United and LA Rams executive who took over as FE CEO from championship co-founder Alejandro Agag last month, explained that fast-charging could be an important area for FE to pursue with the Gen3 car as part of its stated mission to further the adoption of electric road cars.

“I used to joke that when I was at United Sir Alex [Ferguson] didn’t ask me who we should buy for our new left back or whatever, so my views on the direction of automotive technology I refer to my team and the FIA and the OEMs,” Reigle told Motorsport.com.

“But the important theme is that we’re developing technology to advance the adoption of EVs and that’s kind of the core principal.

“Gen1 was all about evidencing that electric vehicles are viable, can race, can compete and that was delivered.

“Gen2 was all about demonstrating battery longevity - we could have consumer inhibitors to EV adoption, you might worry about range, so we designed a set of products, a generation car to help address that issue.

“From what I hear at the time it was like ‘well we’re not going to have a pitstop then, right?’.

“So the necessity forced innovation in other ways, which lead to attack mode, which changed the strategy of the race.

“To me that’s the beauty of this product – that it continues to evolve.

“So for Gen3, as we think about why might a consumer not adopt an electric vehicle, there’s a perception perhaps around charging availability and ‘how quickly I can get my car charged?’ [questions].

“So that’s a theme that the folks who are much smarter than I am are working on – the viability of that.

“Where that gets interesting is then it potentially feeds back into the racing product, which is to say ‘OK well if you can change the speed with which you charge the cars perhaps you can reintroduce a pitstop’.

“I’m not saying we’ll definitely do that but it creates degrees of freedom on the product, which I think is really exciting.

“That’s the big one – the theme of rapid charging or fast charging, but I suspect there’s going to be other input.”

FE’s final decision on the make-up of the Gen3 car will be made in conjunction with the FIA.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:06 AM
Azine Jabroni

At some point, this is going to be Electric Formula 1 and there will be a point when FIA will have to redefine the roles of both classes in the racing world.

This is becoming more and more like F1.

Quick Reply: Formula E: News and Discussion Thread