Formula E: News and Discussion Thread - Page 2 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Automotive Discussion > Motorsports News
Reload this Page >

Formula E: News and Discussion Thread

Notices

Formula E: News and Discussion Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,056 Posts
https://racer.com/2018/10/15/vandoor...ula-e-for-hwa/

Stoffel Vandoorne has revealed he will race in Formula E for new entrant HWA RACELAB at the end of the Formula 1 season.

McLaren announced in September that Vandoorne will leave its team at the end of the season, with Lando Norris partnering Carlos Sainz in an all-new driver line-up in 2019. The Belgian has now confirmed he is switching to Formula E with Mercedes-affiliated HWA, and will test for the team on Tuesday in Valencia before heading to the United States Grand Prix. Van Doorne will partner newly crowned DTM champion Gary Paffett in the two-car squad.

While new to FE, HWA is a longtime entrant in the DTM championship, where it manages the AMG Mercedes team and builds the Mercedes DTM cars and engines. It also builds Mercedes Formula 3 race engines.

“Today, a new racing series, a new challenge and a new team for me has been announced: I will be making my Formula E debut in the 2018/19 season as a member of the HWA RACELAB squad,” Vandoorne said.

“I am honored that HWA have signed me for their Formula E program. HWA are such a great team with a long and successful history in motorsport. All the people I’ve met so far are really passionate about racing. Also, it’s great to work alongside such an experienced driver as Gary Paffett. I am pretty sure that we will benefit from each other during the season.

“At the same time, I would like to thank everyone at McLaren for having supported me throughout the last seven years, starting with the Young Drivers’ Program days, through to my two seasons as a test driver and finally, as a Formula 1 driver. Over these fantastic years I have met incredibly skilled and caring people who have made me feel part of the family, I have learned about discipline, tricks and patience and I am proud to say, today I am a better driver.”

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff has previously given Vandoorne his public backing as he was seeking an F1 seat, and the 26-year-old is now part of the team that acts as a forerunner to a full Mercedes manufacturer entry in the 2019/20 season.

“The team name HWA RACELAB bundles the DNA of HWA AG,” explained Ulrich Fritz, HWA RACELAB team principal. “Since the company was founded in 1998, our core area of expertise has been developing, researching and running cars in motor racing. In order to compete successfully in the ABB FIA Formula E Championship, the focus on, and confidence in, these areas of expertise will be particularly important.

“We’re looking forward to the new challenges that come with Formula E. Over the past weeks and months, we’ve worked very hard to lay a solid foundation, upon which to enter this fiercely-competitive series. In doing so, we’ve benefited greatly from the experience gained in cooperation with the Venturi team, whom we supported last season as technical partner. We’re now well positioned with our own team to compete under our own flag. We’re approaching this challenge with a healthy mixture of confidence and respect. The season ahead will be a learning year for HWA RACELAB, but I’m confident that we’ll very quickly establish ourselves and be competitive in the series.”

RACER understands HWA is also close to finalizing a Formula 2 entry in 2019, having recently announced it will race in the new Formula 3 championship that will replace GP3.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:11 AM
FFS

Thanked 1,163 Times in 818 Posts
The sport has a long way to go, but the headlines about it are staggering. This series will be exciting for a while.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:50 PM
~HondaF1~

I've always liked it, loving the fact that it's getting bigger and better.

I attended the MiamiEPrix with my daughters and I had a blast.

Most of my friends made fun of me because I liked it but I'm used to that - I live in the US and my favorite sport is F1 so been there done that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R J Poseidon 6 For This Useful Post:
00TL-P3.2 (10-15-2018), kurtatx (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 04:20 PM
FFS

Thanked 1,163 Times in 818 Posts
Whatever is best for racing. Formula E isn't a parade at least. It has a long way to go but it's definitely forward thinking and numerous manufacturers are involved.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:23 AM
~HondaF1~

...and drivers too!

It's filled with great talent.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

https://jalopnik.com/at-least-seven-...-in-1830566057

Just six months after the country lifted its ban on female driving, several women race-car drivers will participate in a Formula E test session on the Saudi Arabian streets. The test will happen right after the Formula E race in the city of Ad Diriyah on Dec. 15, and at least seven women will drive in it.

Formula E, an all-electric racing series that’s only a few years old yet has manufacturers flocking to it to test their electric technology in harsh racing conditions, will also have women drivers flocking to it—for at least one day, that is. Seven of the listed 22 spots for Formula E’s first in-season test of the year in Ad Diriyah next month are women, and a Formula E announcement said two other teams are looking to book female drivers for the test as well.

The women currently on the list include Sauber Formula One test driverTatiana Calderon, Formula 4 driver Amna Al Qubaisi, British Formula 3 winner Jamie Chadwick, Supercars driver Simona de Silvestro, BMW Motorsport’s Beitske Visser, IMSA driver Katherine Legge, and former Lotus F1 development driver Carmen Jorda. They’ll make up nearly a third of the drivers at the test.

It’s great to hear about an influx of women into typically male-dominated racing. But there’s a lot going on under the seemingly positive surface here, like the report that Formula E offered teams—none of whom actually have a woman competing for them next season, according to the entry list the series published last week—an incentive to book women for the test session.

The incentive is that any teams who book a woman for the test will get an extra car to run during said test, according to a Motorsport.com report. Here was the exact wording, from the story:

Formula E will host an in-season test after the Ad Diriyah ePrix, with extra slots handed to teams that run a female driver in addition to their regular racers.

All teams that have arranged to run a female driver will be allowed to enter two cars in each session.

Audi and Jaguar are the only teams running a single entry during the test.
More cars during a test session means more data to build off of for the season, so it’s solid motivation to follow through. Jalopnik has reached out to Formula E to confirm that teams putting a female driver in their test lineup will get an extra car like Motorsport.com reports, and will update this if we hear back.

In most situations, it’s understandable to offer incentive to get teams to add women to their lineups. People often need a nudge, or sometimes a hard shove, to break their usual habit of overlooking other candidates in favor of the ones who look like race-car drivers mostly have in history: white and male. But if incentive was offered here, it all feels a little icky—as if the goal was also to make the headlines about all of the women testing rather than about another international motorsport heading to a country known for its oppression.

Formula E starts its seasons at the end of one year and runs them well into the next, meaning the 2018-2019 season starts next month. This year’s opener and the site of the test session is the street circuit in Saudi Arabia, which, as you might know, has a record of human-rights abusesinvolving but not limited to women and people on the LGBTQ+ spectrum. Women have only legally been able to drive in the country since June of this year, after all.

That’s why it was a shock when Formula E announced a 10-year agreement with the sporting bodies in a country so focused on oil production and so lacking in basic rights like female driving, since the series features such progressive car technology. (This is the series that flip-flopped on grid girls, so, you know.)

When asked about the move’s impacts on women and other groups by journalist and Jalopnik contributor Hazel Southwell for Motorsport101, Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag said female participation would be a focus in Saudi Arabia:

We have of course received complete assurances, actually it has been the request of the Saudi authorities that women participate, drive in the Formula E event, and if they are not in a racing team we will organise some way for women to drive around the track, do a demonstration which is really the intention of the new years of Saudi Arabia to showcase that change.

Women will be allowed at the event as spectators, obviously women that come from abroad, like yourself will be allowed to come, work and report on the race. We see that as a great element of change in a country that didn’t have all those right in the past.
And female driving participation there will be, since Formula E reportedly offered the extra car as a reward for it. The end result is positive: people who break the typical white, male mold making up more and more of the driving field, normalizing their presence there, and getting to show off their skills in front of a larger audience.

But the path get there was twisted, and, as we’ve seen from the all-male lineup for next year’s Formula E season, the triumph could mostly be short lived.

Update, Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2018 at 8:38 a.m. ET: A spokesperson from Formula E confirmed to Jalopnik that the series is offering teams an extra car if they run a female driver, saying the “local promoter of the event has been working with the teams to encourage female participation in the test.”
Old 12-13-2018, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Thanked 1,424 Times in 952 Posts
Season 5 (2018-19) kicks off this weekend. Debut of the Gen 2 cars....

Old 12-13-2018, 01:53 PM
~HondaF1~

Haa ... I just finished video 2 at lunch.

Glad you posted on here for everyone....

I'm stoked for this weekend.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm stoked, too.

It's a perfect antidote to the winter doldrums as we wait for the 2019 F1 season to get going in March of next year ....
Old 12-13-2018, 02:17 PM
~HondaF1~

Yea, and it's getting bigger and bigger every year.

I still have friends that say stupid stuff like 'I can't hear them!' but there's great racing and I love the tech involved.

...and look at the lineup! There's some great racers in there! Phoking awesome man
Old 12-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Porsche Confirms Jani for Formula E Entry

Neel Jani is the first driver announced at Porsche’s Formula E team…
https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/po...rmula-e-entry/
Old 12-14-2018, 01:22 PM
~HondaF1~

....and growing and growing.

I just watched the shakedown today at half power - lookin' saucy!!

I can't wait to see these things unleashed at full power!!
Old 01-10-2019, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e...sible/4321373/

Mark Rushbrook, global head of Ford Performance Motorsports, told Motorsport.comt that FE was "still on the sheet of paper we are looking at" as it considers an entry into what he called "electrified motorsport".

His comments come a year after Ford was engaged in high-level talks with FE and appeared close to signing up for the series.

"We have been looking very closely through 2018 across all different forms of racing to understand what the options are for electrified motorsport, whether hybrid or full electric," said Rushbrook.

"Given what our cycle plan is for road cars we are very interested in adding an electrified form of motorsport in the near future.

"We continue to study all or most of those options, and I suspect we will be making decisions in early '19."

Rushbrook insisted that there is "still room" for Ford on the FE grid even though it will hit its 12-team, 24-car capacity with the arrival of Porsche in season six in 2019/20.

"It would mean joining up with an existing team, partnering with someone on the grid today," he said.

Ford would not be able to develop its own powertrain for season six because it is not on the list of homologated manufacturers published last April and would need to register its intent to do so for season seven by February 1 this year should if find a partner.

Ford is known to have had discussions with the Penske-owned Dragon Racing team 12 months ago.

The US manufacturer is evaluating its future in motorsport as it looks beyond its present commitment to the Ford GT programme, which is confirmed until the end of the 2018/19 WEC and the 2019 IMSA season.

Rushbrook appeared to rule out an entry into WEC's the new hypercar concept prototype class that will come on stream for the 2020/21 season.

He said that a common set of regulations between the premier classes of the WEC and the IMSA SportsCar Championship was "a big part of what we were aiming and hoping for".

It appears there is little enthusiasm for the hypercar rules among the North American championship's existing participants in the Daytona Prototype international category on grounds of cost.

But Rushbrook didn't rule out an IMSA entry in the DPi category, even though the category doesn't allow for hybrid technology under present rules that will remain in force until the end of 2021.

"I will say that DPi is on the table and part of it is driven by the budget that is related to it," he explained.

"While DPi isn't electrified today, I don't know that it won't be in the future."

It is widely anticipated that the Ford GT programme will end after the existing commitments, but Rushbrook insisted that there was "always the option to continue it".
Old 01-10-2019, 11:56 AM
~HondaF1~

It's getting huge!!