Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Automotive Discussion > Motorsports News
Reload this Page >

Formula 2: General News and Discussion Thread

Notices

Old 01-08-2018, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,233 Posts

McLaren prodigy Lando Norris says winning F2 title would prove he's ready for F1 in 2019

[...]

Following his meteoric rise through the junior ranks and impressive performances in test outings in McLaren's 2017 challenger, Norris has been dubbed a "star of the future" by McLaren and is tipped to make it all the way to F1. Ferrari protégé Charles Leclerc will make his F1 debut with Sauber in 2018 after a dominant rookie title campaign in F2 last season, and Norris insists he will have to pull off a similar feat to prove his calibre.

​​​​​​​[...]
Old 01-08-2018, 11:26 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 236 Posts
Meh. The only "prodigy" that has ever come out of the McLaren program is Hamilton. Not too long ago, Magnussen and Vandoorn were the next prodigies, but they've been proven to be busts.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

https://www.racefans.net/2018/04/03/formula-two-exclusive-jack-aitken-previews-2018-season/

The new Formula Two season, which begins this weekend in Bahrain, promises to be one of the most open and difficult to predict in the 14-year history of the series which began life as GP2.

Over half of the drivers confirmed for this year’s championship are new to the series and many of them have excellent racing pedigrees.

They including reigning Formula Three champion and McLaren development driver Lando Norris, plus his F3 rival Max Gunther. The top three from last year’s GP3 championship have also made the step up.

Among that trio is Jack Aitken, who in an exclusive interview for RaceFans gave his insight into his rivals and whether the all-new F2 car for 2018 will allow the championship to sustain its reputation for great racing.

[...]
Old 04-07-2018, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Exciting opener at Sakhir today....

Old 04-07-2018, 11:07 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Great finish.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,221 Posts
https://www.motorsport.com/fia-f2/ne...rucci-1061134/

Trident Motorsport has parted ways with banned Haas Formula 1 junior driver Santino Ferrucci, after the Formula 2 driver crashed into his teammate and drove with a phone in his hand.

Ferrucci is banned for the next two events – Hungary and Spa – after driving into the left-rear of Arjun Maini's car on the cool-down lap after the Silverstone Sprint race.

The two had clashed in both Silverstone races.

Ferrucci was also fined €66,000 for driving without a glove on, also holding a mobile phone while transitioning between paddocks in his F2 car.

Trident has cited Ferrucci's actions, as well as payment issues, for the reason of the contract termination.

The statement read: "Trident Motorsport informs to have communicated to Santino Ferrucci and to its guarantor, a company represented by Mr. Michael Ferrucci, the termination of the contract with the Team.

"This decision was motivated by the events - which are now of public domain - occurred at Silverstone, as well as by the serious breach of driver's payment obligations.

"Since the beginning of the championship, the driver justified its payment default with alleged failure by his sponsors to fulfil their obligations.

"It seems weird that, despite such kind of issues, Santino Ferrucci had the resources needed to enter the Detroit IndyCar race from June 1-3 while, at the same time, he was not honoring his agreement with Trident Motorsport.

"Trident gave mandate to its lawyers in order to activate all the procedures needed to fully recover its credits towards the driver."
Old 07-18-2018, 07:36 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I wonder if you can get a ticket if you drive and text in a race car.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...172460/?nrt=54

George Russell’s chances of gaining more Formula 1 experience this season are uncertain after turning down a Force India practice chance at Monza to focus on his F2 title bid.

Russell has tested for Mercedes and Force India this season and was due to make his first FP1 outing of the year with the latter’s replacement entry ahead of the Italian Grand Prix.

However, he is locked in a fierce F2 championship fight with McLaren protege Lando Norris and is unlikely to take part in a grand prix weekend until that is resolved.

“I was meant to be driving in FP1 for Force India this weekend,” Russell told Motorsport.com. “In this tense title battle at the moment, we preferred to put more focus on F2 really.

“We did FP1 with Force India in Abu Dhabi last year [while Russell’s GP3 title was undecided] and still put it on pole afterwards, [so] I don’t think it would have affected me too much.

“You can get so caught up in the F1 dream that you forget what your priorities are. Formula 2 is my priority.

“I don’t know if we’ll do another FP1 later in the season or not, but nevertheless I think Mercedes have my best interests at heart. I have full confidence they are doing everything in their means to secure my future in F1.”

There are two more F2 rounds this season, in support of the Russian and Abu Dhabi GPs, with Russell leading Norris by 22 points.

Russell, who is also Mercedes’ reserve driver, will not have F2 duties on the five other remaining F1 weekends in Singapore, Japan, the United States, Mexico and Brazil.

He said he did not know for certain if he would do FP1 later in this season but his argument for not pursuing his chance at Monza and Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff’s own comments suggests it is unlikely.

“That was his call actually,” said Wolff. “He thought doing FP1 once in an F1 car was quite a distraction.

“I think it is a sensible call not to be too distracted from the limelight of F1 and would rather concentrate on the current job and this is F2.”

Russell’s F1 prospects for next season appear to have dimmed as a result of Force India’s collapse and revival as a new entry and the driver changes that has sparked.

Lance Stroll will move to Force India from Williams as his father Lawrence led the consortium behind the ‘new’ team, with Sergio Perez expected to remain on board as his teammate.

That means Russell’s fellow Mercedes junior Esteban Ocon will be ousted, and finding him a seat to stay in F1 will take priority over Russell being promoted.

Russell’s best shot appears to be with Williams, but there is mounting speculation that his F2 rival Artem Markelov could head there as part of an all-Russian line-up alongside Sergey Sirotkin.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

https://www.autosport.com/other/news...formula-switch

Formula 2 frontrunner Artem Markelov will switch to Super Formula in 2019, joining Toyota's driver line-up at the start of the series' new SF19 car era.

As predicted by Autosport, Markelov will drive for Toyota-affiliated squad Team Le Mans with a spot alongside Kazuya Oshima.

The Russian driver was due to test the previous-generation Super Formula car for the first time in December last year, before the deal was called off at the last minute.

He will now get his first taste of a Super Formula car at the first pre-season test at Suzuka, which will take place from March 4-5.

Markelov has been racing in F2/GP2 since 2014 but ruled out returning to Formula 1's feeder category for a sixth season in '19.

The 24-year-old had been hoping to a land an F1 drive and was linked to Williams, before Robert Kubica and F2 champion George Russell sealed seats.

Another confirmed Super Formula signing is Sho Tsuboi who will combine his Super GT commitments with a full-season drive in the single seater series.

The reigning Japanese Formula 3 title winner will race for Inging, partnering two-time series champion Hiroaki Ishiura.

Several drivers will change teams within the Toyota camp, most notably Nick Cassidy is leaving Kondo to join Kazuki Nakajima at multiple championship-winning team TOM'S.

Cassidy has been affiliated with TOM'S for several years, with both his Japanese F3 and Super GT titles coming with the Tokyo-based squad.

The Kiwi's place at Kondo will be taken over by Yuji Kunimoto, who has moved over from Inging to make way for Tsuboi.

Kunimoto will team up with Kenta Yamashita.

KCMG will again commit to a single car as Kamui Kobayashi remains with the Hong Kong-based squad for a third season.

The 2019 season will mark the introduction of Super Formula's new halo-fitted SF19 car, which is touted to be both faster and safer than its predecessor.

The Dallara-built chassis will retain the IndyCar-style OTS (overtake system) of the older generation car.

But changes are being evaluated that will allow drivers to deploy 100 seconds of boost freely throughout the race, with a minimum use of one second.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Yumcha Thread title change? Drop 2018 & rename to "Formula 2: General News & Discussion"
The following users liked this post:
Yumcha (02-07-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

https://www.autosport.com/f2/news/14...r-of-principle

Sean Gelael says his decision to withdraw from the Silverstone Formula 2 weekend was "a matter of principle", after receiving a penalty following an incident in practice.

Gelael collided with Louis Deletraz at Brooklands in Friday practice, while Deletraz was on an outlap and moving slowly with two wheels on the racing line. Gelael dived up the inside but hit the Carlin driver, with the resulting damage ruling him out of practice.

Deletraz was able to continue and went on to qualify fifth the following day, while Gelael qualified 18th - only to receive a three-place grid drop just hours before the feature race was due to start.

The Prema driver, who elected not to take to the track for the remainder of the weekend, said he was "shocked" at the decision.

F2 stewards have come in for criticism from teams and drivers in 2019, especially in Monaco where the grid was not reordered correctly in the pitlane under a red flag, Gelael being one of the drivers robbed at a chance of victory because of that mistake.

"The four years in F2 a lot of things have happened, especially this year, that are out of my control and extreme," Gelael told Autosport.

"For example, what happened in Monaco. It's not consistent.

"I think it's a matter of principle.

"If it was seen as a protest [Gelael not racing], I would not disagree.

"But for me it's a lot of things, you can't be so inconsistent in making decisions.

"When they told me the decision I was shocked and had no words to say.

"It wasn't just a protest, it was really where I draw the line in terms of how the things are handled in the championship and [by] the stewards.

"They gave me a reprimand and two penalty points. My thought was, 'You can't blame someone who is not wrong'.

"We tried to appeal, and we found in the rulebook that if you give a reprimand you can't also give penalty points.

"In the morning Guillaume [Capietto] the team manager went to talk to the stewards. We said, 'We don't agree with this, but if you give us the reprimand, we at least don't want the penalty points' as it was unnecessary.

"Apparently they just came back with the three-place grid penalty."

Deletraz, who spoke with his rival after the incident, said Gelael was not fully to blame.

"I have to agree that the penalty was quite harsh on him," said Deletraz.

"I don't think I was to blame, but I don't think he was to blame either. For me it was a racing incident and it's something we both could have avoided."

Gelael added he will use this week to consider his future.

"Moving forward we'll take a couple of days to calm our heads and regroup," he added.

"It's a decision between me and the team and my close group to see what the future holds.

"I think, not racing is influenced by a lot of things happening around me.

"It takes the fun out of everything, it takes the heart out of racing and if your heart isn't in it, what is the point at all."

The FIA declined to respond to Gelael's comments.