Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari (so far) Force Minardi Not to Run

[02/03/05 - 14:37]

Minardi set to miss Australian Grand Prix
Ferrari stand firm against Italin minnows

Minardi, Formula One's smallest team, say they have not been able to afford to comply with new rules aimed at slowing Formula One cars down. They can race if all the other teams give their approval, and only Ferrari have refused their consent.

Team boss Paul Stoddart said: "As of now, Wednesday afternoon, the situation is that Minardi will not be competing in Sunday's race because Todt has refused to agree to our request.

"I spoke to him at 3am and he said he won't agree to it, stating that it is an FIA matter. But it's not, and he knows that.

"The FIA needs to satisfy themselves that cars are safe, and the nine teams need to agree that we can compete outside the technical regulations. They are totally separate issues with separate procedures."

Stoddart believes that world champions Ferrari are not doing themselves any favours by standing in Minardi's way.

"That is eight teams for and one against. I personally can't think of a bigger public relations disaster than banning the underdog from what is effectively our home race. He told me he will not be in Melbourne until Friday morning, and that he is not interested in our problem."

"He won't delegate the matter either. The sad thing is that this is not a sporting matter, but a political one."

There had been talk of going to court in a bid to be allowed to compete, but Stoddart said: "Our advice indicates that we have a case, but it would mean disrupting the tenth anniversary of the grand prix I love above all others. I refuse to do that. But I am not ruling out later legal action.

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.h...02143913.shtml
Old 03-03-2005, 02:25 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Thats just on Todt's part. The only reason I can see him being worried is for the safety of his own drivers. Suerly he's not worried about Minardi competing.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn, I had high hopes of them capturing the title this year. :rippedoff

Old 03-04-2005, 04:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Ferrari. It wouldn't be F1 without a Minardi team. Hell, their base is close to Ferrari' base in Italy.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems the latest word is that Red Bull and Ferrari both agreed (they both were holding out) but the Melborne stewards said no, Paul S. sought and got a court injunction to race under appeal, though another hearing is possible. Ferrari's position has nothing to do with competition and everything to do with politics, you have to take into account Stoddart's history with TOIT (the other Italian team) to see where the Red team is coming from. In the end it seems they relented and said OK if you accept the non-official websites info, the official site doesn't seem to have any info.

Vandy
Old 03-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,409 Likes on 3,751 Posts
Well Stoddy and Todty don't have much love between them after last year's kiss off by the former when he didn't invite Ferrari to participate in conversations regarding the spin off series being contemplated. Then, every other team gets their cars ready and launched to comply with the new regs or revises their old cars to comply so they can race. Minardi instead, makes the new bits for his old car and cries poverty. Tough titties I say, that's why it's called "Formula" racing-every car has to be within the same parameters regardless of wealth or lack thereof.