F1... long season

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 09:12 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I was watching until Micheal lapped everyone except Rubens, and then it was

What hope in hell do the other teams have when Ferrari laps the feild? Another boring F1 season I guess, with even bigger rule changes next year.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I turned was about to turn the last race off right when Schumacher lapped the entire field, but the only saving grace was the 4th & 5th place battle between Sato and Alonso.

I am beginning to wonder if F1 means "Ferrari W-one?"
Old 04-06-2004, 10:00 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Mclaren to scrap the MP4-19?

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=79175
Old 04-06-2004, 10:26 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Ouch that has to be a rough decision. I hope it works out for them but I'm doubtfull.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:33 AM
cmf
ATCer

August is a long ways away...Guess they should just run the hell out of the car and see what they can do to revive the engines and performance while they wait for the new set-up.
Kimi has to be pissed after a great performance last year to what he has this year. I guess he showed that in Malayasia when he was pushing on that guy after having to retire from the race.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what Ron Dennis gets for thinking that you can get a leg up on the other big makes by trying to run 3 teams for 3 different projects. Get 1 reliable car first. Then try to get sneaky.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:38 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

What 3 teams with 3 projects was he running? F1 and ?
Old 04-06-2004, 10:52 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by domn
What 3 teams with 3 projects was he running? F1 and ?
One team working on current car, one team working on next years car, (this is all common), but then there is a 3rd team working on ??? Cant remember.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

one team for working on current car, one team for working on replacement for current car for this season, and one team working on next year's car.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

current car/composite gearbox/next years car which is the same as the MP4-19 replacement

Vandy
Old 04-25-2004, 03:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

finally... another car on pole, and it's a Honda.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:37 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
And I hope that Bar Honda can stay ahead.

According to Autoweek, the FIA will make drastic changes to F1 cars starting in 2008. The full story can be found at:
F1 rule changes
I wonder how many HP Honda can squeeze out of a 2.4L V8?
Old 04-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Pro

I felt very bad for the MP-19!
I mean they've been developing that engine all year last year but then they got back fired by the one engine per weekend rule!
I'm a HUGE fan of West/Mclaren and seeing them like this just making me sad.
However, the BAR did an excelent job this time.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:58 AM
Pro

Thanks for the article biker.
But I totally disagree on these rule chages. I mean, what's the main point of creating a Formula 1 car when you're resctricting them from using the most advanced technology?
Old 04-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Second place is not bad. It seems that Button is consistent and fairly high in the standings. He'll win soon.

Maxboost, I know what you're saying but as witnessed in the last few years things have gotten out of hand. One team keeps wining and the sport will loose its appeal. I think most of the rule changes make sense - it will level the playing field and make the driver more responsible - imagine - they'll have to actually shift with a real clutch and gear lever - no more SMG. It would be kind of weird to have a road going car have more advanced technology than an F1 car but not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

I agree...these rules will benefit the teams with the best driver. If it levels the playing field, then I'm all for it. Currently, the team with the deepest pockets usually fair well...and I'm sure that you guys can all agree that this can result in some boring races.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Well I was a huge F1 fan. Would attend the race in Montreal every year with my dad. Not this year! There is no way I am going to shell out $800.00 bucks for 2 tickets plus travel and hotel to see the same guy win. F1 needs to make this sport more competitive and fast. I have even heard that some of the GPs in Europe have lowered ticket prices due to lower attendance figures.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:03 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I dont understand all the whining. The best driver IS winning all the races. Whats wrong with that? I dont think massive rule changes are the answer.

Did NBA attendance drop because michael jordon and the bulls kept winning? Teams with the most money usually have the best players and the best team. Its like that in any sport.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:31 PM
I'm allergic to bull

Agree with fdl. Winning is winning. All teams are under the same regulations. It's all up their efforts to develop the best cars and train the best drivers they can, as long as they dont violate the PITA regulations (or dont get caught).

Yes it gets kinda boring to see M. Schumacher dominates races after races. But he desires every win. In addition to his extraordinary gift in driving, there must be a shit load of hard work and trainning that we just neglect to see.

I admit that I was initially kinda sick to M. Schumacher's early domination. But I start to realize that his winning has much more to do than having pure luck, an advanced car and a set of good tires. Put him in a reliable Minardi or Jordan, I believe he will put up a hell of fight too.

I would love to see M. Schumacher win again and again. And to see a Honda fighting side by side with a Ferrari. Keep up the good work, J. Button
Old 04-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

If they continue to make it more and more of a SPEC racer series then Max and Bernie will lose me.

Anyone that has followed F1 for any length of time knows it is cyclical and often has a team/driver who dominates. Look at Honda in the 80s. Money doesn't always do the job either, just look at Toyota.

Kudos to Jenson and Briish American Racing! Honda has also REproved they can build a good F1 engine, they have the third best engine on the grid, which is saying quite a bit. Though they were better than most realized last year on Bridgestones, but shifting to Michelins this year gave them a big leg up.

Vandy
Old 04-26-2004, 09:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

MS in a Minardi, will mean that he comes in last place.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:45 AM
Photography Nerd

And you in a Ferrari would come in last place.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:35 AM
cmf
ATCer

Not that I disagree with Honda running up front, but if you look back at this past race, Honda had a blown engine, and had Button back off to save his "just in case". They are working things out, but I don't think the have proven themselves just yet.

What's with JP? That jackass gets pissed at Schumacher, but runs his own teammate off the track and didn't have shit to say about that! I think JP is a puss...a good driver...but he needs a new team, BMW is just not doing it right now for him.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Dan Martin
And you in a Ferrari would come in last place.

and your point?
Old 04-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Photography Nerd

That Ferrari is the best team in the league and if Minardi had the money they would have a competitve platform too. MS racing for Minardi is just as unlikely as you racing for Ferrari.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Jp is pissed because the stewards didn't give ms a penalty and they gave him one when RB fell off the track at Indy last year and JP had nothing to do with it. An unfair penalty that could have cost JP the championship last year. So if you are going to bump somebody then the penalty should be the same regardless of who you are. In ms's case, he can do no wrong in the eyes of the stewards.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:10 AM
cmf
ATCer

Did you see what happened though? JP came into the turn a little hard..actually he initially touched Schumacher. Schumacher ran his line and it just so happened JP was on the outside...sounds like tough luck to me.
Don't really recall JP really being too big a contender for the championship last yr either. Thought it was only Kimi and Schumacher...maybe just didn't pay attention to JP.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Intermediate

cmf - I agree with you... MS ran his line and JP tried to overtake him on the outside, thus making him go to the grass... JP needs to stop cryin'... If you read Speedtv.com articles, they've reported that Williams backed JP, but they said that the blame is not all on MS and that JP was actually lucky on that move. Williams also said that if they had to investigate something, it should have been the block that MS gave JP before that turn... My opinion on that is that MS and all drivers are entitled to ONE block and he used it there...
Old 04-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

cmf as I am sure you know Oneproblem Montoilet gets his new team next year, he will be riding one of Norbert's defective V1 rockets...McLaren. He is just more pissy than usual because he knows he is going to a team in disarray, despite the fact Paragon will be open by then.

Also JPM was in contention going into the US GP last year, he was closer to MS than Kimi in points. JPM did do a little chop on RB at turn one, lap two. I was about 200 feet away and what was clear on my friends video tape that the TV angle didn't show was the twitch JPM made that sent RB off. In the end if you take out the drive through time JPM would have still finished out of the points, add to this his poor result in Japan and it really is a non-issue WDC wise. If it hadn't been for a Honda engine blow-up around lap 43 IIRC Kimi would have been third and MS would have clinched in Indy.

Devo, MS just ran his line (maybe 2 feet wide), just racing, period. JPM came right off that corner collected his car and drove a very "wide car" all the way over the track and in his own words "closed the door" on his team mate Ralf and ran him into the weeds. Not much different! In the end he should simply admit the FW26 was no match for the F2004, they both ran on basically open tracks and MS took a second per lap off him.

It is interesting to note that BAR probably has the second best car on the grid, while the Williams looks close it is driver talent who is keeping them close, with all that said look who is second in the WCC...Renault! Their superior aero package and decent (not great) lump and a pair of near upper shelf drivers has them sneaking toward a 2nd in the WCC...

Shame JV is gone, ToCrashA Lotto isn't getting the points JV would have, although quick he makes too many mistakes, though the engine detonation was probably not his fault. If JB and JV were on the grid for BAR they would be in the WCC hunt.

As for Michael in a Minardi he wouldn't win but he would garner points in most races (the Minardi has been reliable this year). Now put him in a Jordon/Sauber/Toyota and he would be a front runner, it isn't just his skills on the track it is also he setup ability. Look what he was able to do in the early 90's in the boat anchor called a Benneton!

Vandy
Old 04-26-2004, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Regarding JPM, even his boss thinks he is full of it...

From f1planet.com

Sir Frank: 'Unfair to say it was all Michael's fault'
26/04/04
This should raise morale in the Williams garage: Sir Frank Williams has said that it's wrong to blame Michael Schumacher for putting Juan Montoya on to the grass at Imola.

An incensed Montoya launched a vitriolic attack on Schumacher after the San Marino GP in which the Williams driver was forced off the circuit as he attempted to go around the outside of the World Champion.

"I went to pass him and he closed the door twice then came straight at me and hit me and put me on the grass," raged Montoya. "He hit me on the side but there was no damage."

"He said he didn't see me, he didn't know I was there. He probably forgot to look. I got in front of him before Tosa. He didn't see me? He must be blind or stupid."

But according to Montoya's team boss, Schumi wasn't entirely to blame for the incident.

“If you were on the outside of Juan Pablo you wouldn't expect any mercy either,” Sir Frank Williams told Autosport. "As I saw it, Michael was in trouble trying to get grip from his tyres and Juan must have known straight away that this was his chance to get ahead of him. Ten out of ten for trying, and I'm glad he got away with it, but it's not fair to say that it was all Michael. You take a risk when you go round the outside.”

Vandy
Old 04-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by DEVO
and your point?
Dude, there is a post above claiming MS can do wonders even in a Minardi. My point is that is BS. MS in a Minardi would come in last, or next to last, beating his teammate.

So i fail to see your point about me racing for Ferrari.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

You guys are under the impression that I'm defending JPM, I'm not. I'm just trying to explain where he is coming from. MS is infamous for his chops at the start of any race and he doesn't ever get penalized. Anybody else, and they get a stop and go penalty or a drive through. I'm just stating that if we are going to hand out penalties, they better apply to everybody regardless of their standings.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:58 PM
cmf
ATCer

Your not being a formula1 driver is what would put you in last. A great car (ferrari) and a non formula1 driver (you). Kinda like you saying the best driver (schumacher) in a not so great car (minardi). Not an attack on you I'm sure...but put two and two together.

I would have to agree that Schumacher would not come in dead last or to even beat only his teammate...I am sure Schumacher in a Minardi would still beat out at least 1/4 of the field if not 1/2.

I also don't think that Schumacher is as big an asshole driver as JP. Yes, he may get away with a bit, but so do other drivers, however, JP is a little more assholish (is that a word) in his ways...which is why he gets busted so much..
Old 04-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

look at the qual times of MS in a Ferrari and that of any of the Minardi (actually Bruni's time because Baumgartner spun in his qualifing lap). it's 7 seconds (on a good day, it's more then that during race laps). and MS was carrying more fuel then the Minardi to boot. The next worst team IMO is Jordan and they have a 3 seconds advantage over the Minardi(s). Put MS at the wheel of a Minardi and he might shave 2 seconds off a Jordan maybe 3 but at the expense of the Minardi.

So put the best driver in the worst car and you are NOT going to see him destroy 1/2 the field.

Now take the worst driver in F1 and put him in the best car (Ferrari) and you will see him destroy 1/2 the field easily.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:15 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

One way to quantify the Schumey advantage is to look the gap between his time and Rubens.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Until MS gets a teammate such as KR or JPM or somebody like that, and until MS's teammate is allowed to race MS on equal footing, his championship count doesn't carry as much weight as it would have if the above conditions had been met.

AS and Prost raced each other on the same team at McLaren, 2 of the best drivers put on the same team and allowed to race each other. That's what I would like MS to do one year before he retires. I don't think his ego can handle that.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:19 PM
cmf
ATCer

I personally think Rubens is a better driver than JP.....
Old 04-26-2004, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

You guys are under the impression that I'm defending JPM, I'm not. I'm just trying to explain where he is coming from. MS is infamous for his chops at the start of any race and he doesn't ever get penalized. Anybody else, and they get a stop and go penalty or a drive through. I'm just stating that if we are going to hand out penalties, they better apply to everybody regardless of their standings.

Not trying to bust on you but name a time that the FIA gave an in race penalty to a driver for a move at the START of a race. RS ended up with just a fine after the race for his part in the KR/RB/RS debacle last year, which came much closer to ruining Kimi's WDC bid than JPM's penalty at Indy. Driving a wide car is just racing, MS did NOT chop JPM at Imola, a chop is a QUICK move away from your racing line, MS just held the line, what JPM did to RS just 2 seconds later is a CHOP. Bottom line Mark Webber, JPM and Ralf have done much more blatent chops this year, only Ralf has gotten penalized and it was only points to his super license. As for Shumi getting all the breaks, what about what Sato did to MS last year at Suzuka last year coming into the final chicane, MS got under him and Sato shut the door taking off Schumacher's front wing, no penalty and it very well could have lost the WDC for MS. It was the same move just an inside corner not an outside corner like Imola this year. JPM is a passionate driver, too hot headed at times, but he just needs to come to grips with the fact MS is faster and has a faster package.

As for MS in the Minardi or Jordon remember it is not just what he brings in terms of raw speed but he is also the master of setup. MS may be the best F1 racer of all time in this respect. This is what haws elevated him to the level of Fangio and Senna. Senna couldn't set up a car for crap, he could however drive a crappy car way beyond its limit and usually get away with it, MS would take a sorry setup, perfect it and drive it well, Senna was the better driver but arguably Michael is the better whole package.

Alain and Aryton was an anomoly, rare for two kings to be on the same team, outside that none of the greats really did it. Also IF their ride hadn't been the absolute dominate package at the time they would NOT have been allowed to race, there would have been a #1 and #2. I suppose Fangio's 5 don't count either since he often took the actual CAR away from his teammates. RB is a solid driver but can't touch Michael in pace, period. MS won his first WDC in a poor car and went to Ferrari when it still did not have a first flight package, MS and the people he brought are the reason Ferrari is on top, Senna however never built a team, he went where the car was fast as did Fangio. Bottom line, like it or not, MS has the best pace of any driver on the grid and if it was a spec racer series the results would be the same.

Vandy
Old 04-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

MS has chopped at previous starts last year without anybody saying anything.

Also, I'm not taking away from what MS has achived because that would be pointless, but I would like to see him have a teammate that could race him. Ferrari only have a #1 driver and that's it. Williams on the other hand let their drivers drive each other... as you could see in the last race.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Sile

MS has chopped at previous starts last year without anybody saying anything.

Also, I'm not taking away from what MS has achived because that would be pointless, but I would like to see him have a teammate that could race him. Ferrari only have a #1 driver and that's it. Williams on the other hand let their drivers drive each other... as you could see in the last race.
I have to disagree. Rubens is a good driver. Ralf and Juan may battle but I believe that is more b\c they don't like each other. Or at least Ralf doesn't like Juan. I mean he already signed for Mclaren, and we know Ralf isn't happy with Williams. They are both out there to prove something. We all know Rubens isn't a better driver than Michael so why be risky and make challenges vs your teammate. As long as he gives his team a good chance to win and finish in the top 8, he will be the best #2 driver Ferrari and MS will ever see.

Quick Reply: F1... long season