F1... long season

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 01:32 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
I watched some of the race this weekend and thought Button had it won when he had like 25+s lead over MS and holding. Then towards the end he was losing like 1s+ per lap. This one wasn't even about the drivers - the race was won on pit row.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was one of the better races of the season. Ferrari just put to shame everybody else... to come back from a spin and end in 2nd? Come on. A 4 pit stop strategy to get RB to 1st... brilliant. Shame on the rest of the teams.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Oh and there is a story out that JV is joining Sauber next year.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by DEVO
Oh and there is a story out that JV is joining Sauber next year.

Yup, its official. I'm not liking that move one bit, but I guess chances of him going to a competitive team were out of the question. At least he'll have Ferrari power. It looks like Jacques will now just be another mid to back marker in F1.

HINWIL, Switzerland (AP-CP) - Former world champion Jacques Villeneuve has signed a two-year contract to drive for the Sauber-Petronas team starting next year, the Formula One team said Wednesday.

The announcement came only hours after the Renault team apparently cleared the way for the Canadian to replace Italy's Jarno Trulli for the remaining three races of the current season.

Sauber said its contract with Villeneuve comes into effect Nov. 1, one week after the season ends with the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Sauber said it was retaining Felipe Massa of Brazil as its second driver for 2005, meaning Giancarlo Fisichella of Italy lost his seat.

``I am extremely excited to be back in Formula One with the Sauber-Petronas team,'' Villeneuve said in the team statement. ``I appreciate the confidence everybody is showing in me.''

``It is my goal to work with Peter (Sauber) and his team to bring them forward in the championship during the next two seasons.

``In my recent visit to Sauber I have been extremely impressed by the professionalism which is apparent throughout the factory. I am looking forward to seeing the results that will be developed by the state-of-the-art wind tunnel.''

Sauber currently stands sixth in the constructors' championship.

Its best results this season came in Belgium (Massa fourth and Fisichella fifth), Montreal (fourth, Fisichella) and Monaco (Massa fifth).

Villeneuve, a native of Iberville, Que., quit BAR-Honda with one race left in 2003 after he learned that the team planned to replace him this year with Japanese driver Takuma Sato.

The Canadian, who has been without a team since, won the world championship in 1997 with Williams.

Sauber chief Peter Sauber said Villeneuve was ``absolutely keen and committed to return to Formula One.''

``He was always a great fighter and I am convinced that together we can achieve a lot. I have to admit that signing a former world champion is something truly special for me.''

He said it was an obligation to provide Villeneuve with a car that ``meets his expectations.''

``Sauber-Petronas has made considerable progress this year, and I am confident that we are ready to tackle this challenge,'' he said.

Earlier Wednesday, Renault released Trulli as one of its drivers, apparently clearing the way for Villeneuve to join the outfit until the end of the season.

Renault said in a statement that the Italian driver ``has been released from his obligations to the team with immediate effect.''

``The team and Jarno feel that an early separation will allow both parties to conclude the year in the post positive way,'' Renault team managing director Flavio Briatore said.

Trulli, who had been with Renault since 2002, said the move will ``give me the opportunity to start with my new team sooner than expected.''

Renault said it would announce its driver lineup for the Sept. 26 Chinese Grand Prix in ``due course.'' Spain's Fernando Alonso is Renault's other current driver.

Villeneuve had a seat-fitting at Renault's base in Silverstone on Tuesday and was scheduled to test at the British track Wednesday and Thursday.

``This test might lead to Jacques joining the team for the final three races of the season beginning next week at the Chinese Grand Prix,'' Briatore said.

After the Chinese Grand Prix, the Formula One season concludes with the Japanese Grand Prix on Oct. 10 and the Brazilian Grand Prix on Oct. 24.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:40 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,158 Likes on 835 Posts
There goes two more drivers officially out of the running for the BAR seat. Is Jack Brabham interested in making a comeback?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:46 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Its really too bad JV couldn't strike a deal with BAR. Its not certain Jensen is leaving next year though, or is it?
Old 09-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

There is still a remote chance that JV will end up at Williams or BAR... nothing in F1 is a sure thing. If Button is foced back at BAR then there is a seat available at Williams... same goes if Button goes to Williams... there is a seat at BAR.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:10 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Now they are talking about the CRB not reaching a final decision on the BAR-Button-Williams issue until late December. Who is going to hold out until late December to find a seat? I can just see this issue ruining both teams' season next year.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Jaguar out of F1 after this season.

Jaguar pulls out of Formula One

Associated Press

9/17/2004

BIRMINGHAM, England (AP) - Jaguar and its parent company Ford are pulling out of Formula One racing at the end of this season.

"Jaguar's presence in Formula One has been a valuable marketing and brand awareness platform particularly outside our main markets of the U.S. and the U.K.," Joe Greenwell, Jaguar chairman said Friday in a statement.

"However it was our collective view that it is time for Jaguar Cars to focus 100 per cent on our core business.

"As part of the package of measures to get the Jaguar business back on track and focus management and financial resources on the core business, Jaguar will withdraw from Formula One at the end of this season.

Jaguar, whose drivers are Australia's Mark Webber and Austria's Christian Klien, is seventh in the F1 championship with 10 points.

Jaguar entered F1 in the 2000 season, after it bought out the Stewart Ford team. The team has foundered as one of the tail-end teams, never able to compete with the likes of Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, Renault and BAR-Honda.

Ford is also the engine supplier for two other F1 teams - Jordan and Minardi.

The announcement came a day after Jaguar said it was stopping production at a factory in central England with the loss of 1,100 jobs. The move was prompted by poor sales in the United States.

The decision was announced after executives from Ford met with union officials at Jaguar's site at Birmingham in central England.

And JV will race for Renaulkt the final 3 races of this year. Here's hoping he proves something.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I wonder if Jag will move into another form of racing? ALMS maybe?
Old 09-17-2004, 09:01 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I wonder if Jag will move into another form of racing? ALMS maybe?

Maybe Ford should give go carting a try?

Seriously though, a GT in ALMS would be great
Old 09-17-2004, 10:52 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I think the bigger story is that Ford is selling Cosworth Racing as well. Cosworth has been the cornerstone of Ford's international racing ambitions, from WRC to F1 to CART. Does this signal that Ford is no longer interested in racing internationally? It looks like that Ford will merely engage in national level stock/touring series, like Trans-Am, NASCAR, and perhaps European touring cars.

Sad day for Ford Racing.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Photography Nerd

Ford is still a believer in the old NASCAR saying "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" so I would be very surprised if they give that up. I thought ALMS would be a better fit for Jag because there are some nice cars in that series. Racing against porsches, lambos and ferraris is good for brand image. I think an XKR GTR would be cool.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Rahal is laughing himself silly.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:12 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DEVO
Rahal is laughing himself silly.
What did Ford hope for Jaguar F1 when they created the team? They wanted a British Ferrari, this was doomed from the start.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I was wondering when Jaguar was going to pull out. This is the second major news item surrounding this team. The first news item was the diamond debacle in Monaco.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Photography Nerd

I'm sure the diamond thing was just a publicity stunt.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

It was a stunt to promote the Oceans 12 movie (or something like that). But that's my point...rarely is anything mentioned about Jaguar, team performance notwithstanding.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:14 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Jaguar did sponsor the Catwoman movie this summer. Er...that was another bad mistake by Jag.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:31 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by domn
Yup, its official. I'm not liking that move one bit, but I guess chances of him going to a competitive team were out of the question. At least he'll have Ferrari power. It looks like Jacques will now just be another mid to back marker in F1.
nothing new there

he has 3 races to prove himself now at least. if you cant win in a Renault you cant make any excuses......
Old 09-26-2004, 03:49 AM
Race Director

Who would have thought MS would exhibit mere mortal drving skills, start last on the grid and make a mistake in the race. Another win for Ferrari in the pits and another good showing for Bar.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:33 PM
cmf
ATCer

I'm a bit confused about the whole Ford thing, someone help me out here. Ford wants to quit w/ F1, and that effects Jordan and Jaguar. Kinda confused how Jordan will be around next season, but Jaguar probably won't. Maybe I missed something, but aren't they both using Ford engines?
Old 09-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Racer

cmf. By ford quitting racing it affects jaguar because ford owns them. Ford's racing team is Jaguar. It also affects the Jordan racing team because Ford is the engine manufacturer for the Jordan racing team which gets their engines tuned further by cosworth which ford also owns. By ford quitting it means Jaguars out and Jordan has to strike a new deal with another engine manufacturer. The same also goes for minardi. If they don't find engines they are effectively out of formula one.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:38 AM
Race Director

I wonder if Honda or maybe Toyota will jump in and save them?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Racer

I don't know if I could see honda or toyota jumping in and saving them. Honda did manufacture engines for Jordan before BAR came into existence during the time of the Prosts and Arrows racing teams but now Honda is dedicated to BAR and have extneded their contract and Toyota is too busy working on their own team right now. They don't have time to focus on giving engines to competitors when they've added new talent, Ralf Schumacher to their team. They both want to have as much of an advantage as they possibly can.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ajs887
I don't know if I could see honda or toyota jumping in and saving them. Honda did manufacture engines for Jordan before BAR came into existence during the time of the Prosts and Arrows racing teams but now Honda is dedicated to BAR and have extneded their contract and Toyota is too busy working on their own team right now. They don't have time to focus on giving engines to competitors when they've added new talent, Ralf Schumacher to their team. They both want to have as much of an advantage as they possibly can.

Not going to happen, Jordon burned the Honda bridge 3 times over. Jordon should be thankful for Honda because without them, they would have gone down last year.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:07 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

So then where do Jordan and Minardi get their engines? Its not as if there companies lining up offering to build an F1 engine, and even if there were, there's no time. The engines HAVE to come from one of the existing builders (Honda, Toyota, BMW, Ferrari, Renault, Mercedes) or those teams are out of F1. I guess another possibility is whomever buys out Cosworth allows the company to contnue supplying engines at least for one more year.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Photography Nerd

I thought Minardi was already in development of their own engines for next year. Not like they could really do any worse than they already are...

I know Jordan is going to have trouble though.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:07 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I thought Minardi was already in development of their own engines for next year. Not like they could really do any worse than they already are...

I know Jordan is going to have trouble though.

A Minardi engine I guess it will be interesting at least.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

A Minardi engine I guess it will be interesting at least.

Minardi wants to be excluded from the rule changes next year... they want the rules that exist for them this year to be applied to next year. They have enough engines to take over for next year if they are excluded from next years rules changes. So they don't have their "own" engines, they have a way to be able to compete next year.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess is Mercedes will start to supply engines. They have been very tempted to do so, and starting to supply now could be a good way for them to extend their research and finally start building more reliable engines, though it seems they have already started to improve since the last few races.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think the rumours are that BE or even Tony George may by Cosworth and sell engines to teams.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

and by by... i meant buy... for some reason i can't edit my post.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

10/22/2004

FIA, the governing body of Formula One, has approved new engine regulations which will see manufacturers switch to 2.4 litre V8 engines in place of the current 3-litre V10 powerplants in 2006.

FIA also revealed several other new regulations which will come into effect next year and in 2006 after teams failed to approve any of the three proposals submitted to the Technical Working Group back on September 6.

Last June, the World Motor Sport Council voted unimously to invoke Article 7.5 of the Concorde Agreement and gave F1 teams two months to come up with their own proposals to reduce speeds on the grounds of safety.

While F1 teams were prepared to agree on the rule changes regarding bodywork and tires in one of the three proposals put forth, they came up one vote short of agreeing on changes to F1 engines.

On Thursday, the World Motor Sport Council decied to impose proposal number two with some of the regulations taking effect March 1, 2005 and the rest being implemented January 1, 2006.

Among the new rules taking effect next year are changes to the bodywork (aerodynamics) to raise the front wing, bring the rear wing forward, reduce the diffuser height and cut back the bodywork in front of the rear wheels. The move is expected to result in a 20-percent cut in downforce with minimal loss of drag.

Also teams will be restricted to one set of tires for qualifying and race day, which should result in a harder tire being produced and a reduction in cornering speeds.

Engines will also have to last two Grand Prix weekends, instead of the current one weekend.

In 2006, 2.4 litre V8 engines will be introduced alongwith a number of restrictions concerning design and permitted materials. Independent teams, such as Minardi, Jordan and Sauber, will be allowed to use the current 3-litre format through 2007, provided there are restrictions on revs which will be determined by FIA.

"These regulations impose restrictions on engine development comparable to those already applicable to Formula One chassis," read a statement from FIA. "Such restrictions have by no means stifled technical development of the chassis, but they have prevented uncontrollable increases in performance.

"In a similar way the proposed engine restrictions will significantly slow the rate of increase of engine power output."

FIA says when it reduced engine capacity from 3.5 litres to 3 litres midway through the 1994 season, it predicted horsepower limits would be 650 maximum. Instead, we have seen horsepower climb to as much as 1,000 over the last few years.

"It's what we expected and I'm completely in favour," said Renault's Flavio Briatore.

Several manufacturers, notably BMW, Mercedes and Honda, have stated they would re-evaluate their participation in Formula One if there was a change in engine power.

"We are committed to Formula One and I think the easiest thing to do in the light of something like this is quit," said Honda's Ottmar Szafnauer. "We want the engine formula to be open so that we can differentiate ourselves one from the other, which makes the sport interesting for us and is one of the reasons we are here."

Toyota has indicated it would accept a change to V8 power adding that extending engine life to two races may open the door to supplying a second team, possibly as early as 2005.

Wow. I found the red text to be pretty interesting as well.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ok, I just read that the 3 packages proposed to the teams by the FIA could not be agreed upon by the team. Therefore the FIA chose for them.

I still think they need to do the following:

No pit stops for starters. No refueling. Bring back slicks (more mechanical grip). Remove launch control and TC.

The only cool thing that I have heard is the change in format for qualifying. The details are all over the place but anything is better then what they got.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:58 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
What's the latest on that All-American F1 team? Is it for real?
Old 10-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
What's the latest on that All-American F1 team? Is it for real?

An all American team (drivers) is still in the cards. It's still a long way off from coming to being but it's not completely out. The selling of Ford and a potential client could make this happen but I wouldn't beat anything on it.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:04 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

There is now another Canadian team joining in 06. A seriously rich Russian born Canadian has received approval to start racing in the 06 season. No annoucements other than that have been made to the best of my knowledge.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
There is now another Canadian team joining in 06. A seriously rich Russian born Canadian has received approval to start racing in the 06 season. No annoucements other than that have been made to the best of my knowledge.
Are you serious? And what do you mean "other" team, there's another?
Old 10-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I've read that too. It just makes me wonder how long this new billionaire can tolerate losing. I can't find the exact quotes right now, but I read that his budget is going to be slightly higher than Minardi's budget. And we all know how Minardi fair against the rest of the competition....

Quick Reply: F1... long season