DeMatta?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 06:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,860 Likes on 3,480 Posts
DeMatta?

Looks as tho they've gotten the contractual problems solved (most likely for a princely sum) and DeMatta is going to Toyota.

Here's the story:

After a long running saga it looks as though Toyota are closing in on ChampCar star Cristiano da Matta.

The Brazilian has been linked with the second seat at Toyota alongside Olivier Panis since the summer but contractual problems looked to have scuppered the move.

However, these issues have now been resolved and da Matta will be announced by the team either at Indianapolis this weekend or at Toyota’s home grand prix at Suzuka on October 13th.

The 29-year old is set to land this year’s ChampCar title after a superb year with the Newman-Haas team in which he has netted six victories. Da Matta is still contracted to Newman-Haas for 2003 and team boss Carl Haas previously said he would not let the driver go.

However, Toyota looks set to buy da Matta out of his ChampCar deal in a multi-million dollar settlement. Toyota tested da Matta in their TF102 F1 car at Paul Ricard in May and he impressed with his pace and poise.

The former British Formula 3 racer says he intends to follow in the footsteps of the likes of Jacques Villeneuve and Juan Pablo Montoya, who have both switched from ChampCars and won in F1.

"I wouldn't exchange Newman-Haas for Arrows or Jordan," said Da Matta. "Some guys think F1 is the greatest, but I'm not going to go there just to be a number.

"I think it's a good series, but it's not a dream. It's just something that I want to try. My dream is to keep having fun with racing for as long as I can and that means being able to win races and win championships."

Da Matta and Panis will replace Mika Salo and Allan McNish
Old 09-26-2002, 10:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck Chris, I think he'll have a wake up call if he thinks running in F1 is "fun".

Challenging, difficult, frustrating (especially with a team trying to get up to speed), but its not the atmosphere he's used to in CART. And he won't be challenging for wins any time soon.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:30 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well i was hoping for one more year of Da Matta in CART, but i'll root for him to do well in F1. At least it shows that CART has the best drivers in America.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator

It shows CART has desirable drivers anyways. Toyota is gonna be awesome next year, mark my words. Shit, they're already running best of the rest and it's their first full year! Next year they'll be contending w/ Renault, Jordan and Sauber for leftover points after the big three (McL, Ferrari and Williams). Their engine has an amazing amount of grunt. They are consistently fastest in a straight line. Wonder what their trap speed will be at Indy? what they lose in the infield they shld be able to gain back on the 20 second sequence down the old track.

KEWLLLL!
Old 10-08-2002, 11:48 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was expecting an announcement from Toyota in Miami since it's DaMattas home town and he clinched the championship. I'm sure it's just a matter of moments.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:00 AM
Senior Moderator

I agree Red, I've been logging on to a coupla different F1 sites regularly during the day to see if that has happened yet. Stay tuned!