C'mon, where is everybody???

Old 08-06-2002, 02:33 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C'mon, where is everybody???

I was hopin' this forum would be getting a lot more attention than this. We gotta pump it up!! If we add thoroughbred racing, maybe I can add some stuff about the Travers in 3 weeks at Saratoga!
Old 08-06-2002, 04:30 PM
My other car is a 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. I think the demographics of this board unfortunately are tilted to those who consider street racing a Professional Motorsport.

I must admit, though, I am a relatively new fan of F1 racing. I got hooked watching the Speedvision (er...Speed Channel) Touring Car and GT races last year along with the tail end of the WRC season. This year I added an addiction to F1 and CART.

The only race I ever attended in person was a kart race on a dirt oval over 30 years ago. I'm gonna go to the CART race in Fontana with Red Rider in November, and I hope to hit at least a couple of CART races next year. Would love to see the Molson Indy in Vancouver, BC...that is one of the most beautiful cities I've been to.

Have you ever been to an F1 race in outside the US?
Old 08-06-2002, 06:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,853 Likes on 3,474 Posts
Italy! I was trying to go to Monza again this year but a trial got moved by a judge completely fu#kin' up my schedule so now we can't go. I almost forgot, we've been going to the Canadian GP yearly since 1988. I only missed the year I took the bar exam. There is nothing like an F1 race, nothing. I've got the start and the first lap of this year's Canadian GP recorded on my iPaq. If I can figure out how to attach it as a file, I will. Thus far no luck. My wife and I plan on going to every race on the calendar during one season after we retire (13 years to go-55 y.o.). She is as fanatical about it as I am. Not only that, but the races are in great spots around the globe. Do yourself a favor, go to Indy and walk all over the place (infield-wise). The two day ticket for Fri-Sat is $25 bucks, the cheapest. That goes for the grandstands as well. Try that at another venue and it just don't fly. Sunday scrounge a ticket from a local scalper and enjoy! I shld be there, looks as tho we'll be in the Mobil1 suite again as guests of the France family (for whom my bro works).
Old 08-06-2002, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

BTW-I've got EVERY F1 race on tape from 1987 to the present so if I need a flashback, I put one on!
Old 08-06-2002, 08:01 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well there are a few of us !! It will pick up i'm sure. I agree with Hammer, the demographics of this board lean more toward ramblings. Racing is considered to be quarter mile runs, and i guarantee most don't know who Senna was. We need to educate them
Old 08-07-2002, 05:21 AM
Senior Moderator

You know, as much as you had to respect Senna as a driving wizard, as a man, he was a complete asshole in my opinion. When he purposely rammed Prost in 89 at Suzuka to take him out of point contention in the Ferrari at 160 mph that was inexcusable. Punching Eddie Irvine b/c he wldn't move over at the same track a few years later was also inexcusable. Qualifying-pure magic. I loved the titanic battles he had w/ Prost (my favorite) when the 2 of them were at McLaren. I remember hearing how pissed Prost was when Senna wld not honor their gentlemen's agreement about whoever got to the corner first wld not be challenged during the race (Monza I think it was, maybe Imola). Prost got there first on the first lap and Senna thereafter passed him anyway. Prost said from that moment on, Ayrton cld not be trusted. I still have the tape where Senna died. I'll never ever forget watching his head slump down and to the left as the camera helicopter was overhead. I knew, just knew, that was the end for him. It would have been nice to see a driver of his caliber competing against Schumacher this last decade. Instead, there has not been that level of competition since the Senna/Prost/Mansell days in my opinion.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:39 AM
Subie Dubie

Yeah, Senna, Prost and Mansell was a great time, seemed like the Championship came down to Japan every year for awhile.
Old 08-10-2002, 12:00 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
F1 fan... do you go to Saratoga often?

im at the track at least once a week giving my money away!

let me know if your ever in town...
Old 08-10-2002, 02:11 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by soopa

Hey Soop, i'll be in Saratoga for a music industry convention on Sept. 11th-13th, maybe i could meet you for breakfast or something, let me know.
Old 08-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
anyone in here going to Indy?

Soopa and I will be there...we've got 4 seats...2 for the start of the race, and two for the rest of the race...
Old 08-10-2002, 10:05 PM
Subie Dubie

I wish they would move the U.S. Grand Prix to a natural terrain course like Watkins Glen or Laguna Seca.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by soopa

Travers Weekend Baaaabbby!! You play golf? The Thursday before the Travers, (Whateve that day is) I'm looking for someone else to play at Saratoga State Park-interested? I've got one guy, but you're surely welcome to come along. Also, I got your message that you and Astro are comin' thru town tomorrow. I'm in the midst of a medical malpractice trial (picking a jury, day 2); meeting my doctors tomorrow p.m.; and finishing up my opening statement. I TRULY do appreciate your invitation and regret I am completely jammed on Monday. Tell Astro likewise please. We'll meet, I'm sure.

Old 08-11-2002, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Red Rider
I wish they would move the U.S. Grand Prix to a natural terrain course like Watkins Glen or Laguna Seca.
It will never happen again. The track, while in a great setting, is out in the middle of nowhere. It would take every hotel w/in the western half of NY to accomodate the teams, support personnel, media alone. Besides, the track is woefully inadequate for a F1 race (barriers, traps, etc.) I agree tho, I wish it were on a natural terrain course like you stated.

Astro/Soopa-strong likeliehood of being at the race. I've got seats (er is that suite, Mobil1 on raceday, nothing on the days before b/c I like walkin' all over the track). We shld hook up for some drinks!
Old 08-12-2002, 10:09 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
lets def hook up for drinks...

we'll have to coordinate sometime before the weekend...

too bad about today, but it's completely understandable!