CART or IRL

Old 07-21-2002, 05:47 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by soopa
i believe that too.

i have a hard time believing many people would actually follow IRL. nobody cares about it. heh

but at the same time for the average person just wanting to see a local race... you do probably get a little more bang for your buck with IRL assuming it draws in a crowd.

simple fact that ya see more action.

watching cart or F1 on a road course is sorta like watching boxing from top row on the balcony... ya would get a better view on TV.

dont get me wrong, I love watching both live... the people... the sounds... mmmm. but ya really dont get much action.
I know what you're saying about ovals, you can see more. But how many in a row can you watch. NASCAR seems to work great with ovals, but CART and F1 need to primarily be road courses.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:48 PM
Subie Dubie

Soop, there seems to be alot of interest in this and other auto racing info, maybe a forum for Auto racing would be cool ?
Old 07-21-2002, 05:56 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Red Rider

I know what you're saying about ovals, you can see more. But how many in a row can you watch. NASCAR seems to work great with ovals, but CART and F1 need to primarily be road courses.
im not arguing, trust me i love road racing a TON more then ovals.

BUT, case remains.. for the average spectator at a LIVE event (TV is a totally differnet story) ovals deliver a bigger bang.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:36 PM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CART or IRL

The teams can go, but the drivers will stay.
If the teams go, there won't be a need for drivers. You have to be blind to not see whats coming. This is a business, and they have to have advertisers, when the two best engine manufactures leave to go to a diffrent league, that is saying a lot!! Now IRL has Chevy, Infinity, Honda, Toyota, and the backing of tons of money. The snowball effect is happening and there is no way to stop it. IRL attendance will increase with the changes happening, and with not much backing CART will have a hard time staying above water. Like I said, this isn't just racing, its a business, and money talks.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:49 PM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

Indy Racing League Schedule Set For 16 Races In 2003

By Ron Green
indyracing.com
Continuing its philosophy of steady, controlled growth, the Indy Racing League announced a 16-race 2003 schedule of events that is highlighted by its first international race at Twin Ring Motegi in Japan.

The 2003 Indy Racing League season will mark the eighth season of competition for the Indianapolis-based sanctioning body and will represent its largest schedule of events.

Homestead-Miami Speedway will play host to the first event of the 2003 season with an ABC-televised event on Sunday, March 2. The season will end with an ESPN-televised race, the Chevy 500 on Sunday, Oct. 12 at Texas Motor Speedway.

"Though we're just over halfway through the 2002 schedule, it's exciting to look ahead to 2003," said Tony George, president and CEO of the Indy Racing League. "The lineup of tracks represents the finest motorsports facilities in the country, and we are also now in position to take the best form of American open-wheel racing to the League's partners and fans in Japan."

All but one of the events - Japan - will be broadcast live on TV. ABC will televise 10 live races, while ESPN will cover five events live. All three of the night races in 2003 will be on ESPN.

The 87th running of the Indianapolis 500 will be Sunday, May 25 and televised live on ABC.

Though most of the events remain on their traditional dates, there have been a few schedule date changes.

"Some of the League's events have developed traditional dates, and we are keeping most events on or near those weekends," said Ken Ungar, vice president of business affairs for the IRL. "Our goal was to build on a schedule, which was the product of years of steady growth. With a few minor tweaks, the 2003 schedule offers even more excitement and value for fans, promoters, sponsors and participants."

The Nazareth event moves from an April date to Aug. 24, while the race at California Speedway moves from its spring date to Sept. 21.

Texas Motor Speedway maintains its traditional spots on the schedule, which include playing host to the first race after the Indianapolis 500 and the last race of the season.

"We've worked really hard on developing a schedule that maintains fan interest throughout the season while not creating unrealistic workloads on teams and officials," said Brian Barnhart, Indy Racing League vice president of operations. "By achieving those goals with this schedule, the end result is better racing, and that's what we're here to do."
Old 07-21-2002, 06:52 PM
Everybody Wang Chung

IRL SUCKS
Old 07-21-2002, 10:27 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Pull_T
CART is what I follow for these reasons:

- forced induction
- road courses
- race in Houston that I attend

IRL is open wheel NASCAR
Old 07-22-2002, 05:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,853 Likes on 3,474 Posts
Soop, there seems to be alot of interest in this and other auto racing info, maybe a forum for Auto racing would be cool ?
That would be great! I second that emotion!!
Old 07-22-2002, 01:30 PM
Subie Dubie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CART or IRL

Originally posted by Rips CL

If the teams go, there won't be a need for drivers. You have to be blind to not see whats coming. This is a business, and they have to have advertisers, when the two best engine manufactures leave to go to a diffrent league, that is saying a lot!! Now IRL has Chevy, Infinity, Honda, Toyota, and the backing of tons of money. The snowball effect is happening and there is no way to stop it. IRL attendance will increase with the changes happening, and with not much backing CART will have a hard time staying above water. Like I said, this isn't just racing, its a business, and money talks.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. Infiniti will not be in IRL next year by the way. Honda and Toyota will still be building low tech engines for a minor league. CART with it's Cosworth turbos will enable teams to run one more car next year, and also allow other teams to come in due to the decreased cost of one engine manufacturer.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:32 PM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CART or IRL

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Infiniti will not be in IRL next year by the way. Honda and Toyota will still be building low tech engines for a minor league. CART with it's Cosworth turbos will enable teams to run one more car next year, and also allow other teams to come in due to the decreased cost of one engine manufacturer.
Keep this thread open, we will all learn the outcome in the next year, or two.

Oh, and by the way, Don't mention Honda and 'low tech engines' in the same sentence. You lost some credability with that statement. It take better enginering to get the horspower out of a normally aspirated engine, then it does a turbo charged one. Honda has dominated no matter where they went. Records in Formula1 that will never be broken, owning CART for years, and now they have a new challenge. I'm sure they will answer the call with an awesome engine.

Hey, don't you own a HONDA engine??
Old 07-22-2002, 03:02 PM
Subie Dubie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CART or IRL

Keep this thread open, we will all learn the outcome in the next year, or two.

Oh, and by the way, Don't mention Honda and 'low tech engines' in the same sentence. You lost some credability with that statement. It take better enginering to get the horspower out of a normally aspirated engine, then it does a turbo charged one. Honda has dominated no matter where they went. Records in Formula1 that will never be broken, owning CART for years, and now they have a new challenge. I'm sure they will answer the call with an awesome engine.

Hey, don't you own a HONDA engine??
The quote "low tech" came from Honda themselves last year when CART was deciding what engine formula to adopt. They said Turbos or they were out of the series. Now, they've had to change their mind and go IRL. It may be an awesome engine by IRL standards, but it will still be low tech by Hondas. By the way, CART could have badged the identical Honda 3.5 engine as an Ilmor, but they passed in favor of the Cosworth turbo.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:28 PM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CART or IRL

By the way, CART could have badged the identical Honda 3.5 engine as an Ilmor, but they passed in favor of the Cosworth turbo.
Even in your own words, CART doesn't make good business decisions. Do you see why they are moving in the wrong direction? They passed on a manufacture that has won the Manufactures Award the past 4 years. Bad business decision.

By the way, I am not an IRL fan or a CART fan, I am a racing fan. I have followed Honda ever since they were killing teams in Formula1. I enjoyed watching CART, while Honda was a part. But the intrest is dying in CART, and it's time to move on to better things. You will be following also, trust me!
Old 07-22-2002, 03:48 PM
Subie Dubie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CART or IRL

Even in your own words, CART doesn't make good business decisions. Do you see why they are moving in the wrong direction? They passed on a manufacture that has won the Manufactures Award the past 4 years. Bad business decision.

By the way, I am not an IRL fan or a CART fan, I am a racing fan. I have followed Honda ever since they were killing teams in Formula1. I enjoyed watching CART, while Honda was a part. But the intrest is dying in CART, and it's time to move on to better things. You will be following also, trust me!
CART is making long term decisions, that's the reason they decided to stay Turbocharged, why compete with low tech. Honda will be back in CART and so will Toyota, probably in 2005 after the 2 year deal with Cosworth expires.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:59 PM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CART or IRL

Honda will be back in CART and so will Toyota, probably in 2005 after the 2 year deal with Cosworth expires.

I'm glad to see someone has passion about something. I hope CART can make it to 2005. I see them merging or going under before then. Its hard to compete with the Indy 500.

This has been a fun debate, only time will tell...
Old 07-22-2002, 04:05 PM
Subie Dubie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CART or IRL

I'm glad to see someone has passion about something. I hope CART can make it to 2005. I see them merging or going under before then. Its hard to compete with the Indy 500.

This has been a fun debate, only time will tell...
Yeah, there's no need for 2 open wheel series. I'm glad to see CART is digging their feet in and doing battle. You're right, only time will tell.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:46 PM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

The dam is breaking.....

Miller: Andretti deals CART another blow
By Robin Miller
ESPN.com

As first reported on RPM 2Night six weeks ago, Michael Andretti will officially become a car owner and announce his plans to purchase the team he currently drives for in Championship Auto Racing Teams -- Team KOOL Green -- and take it to the rival Indy Racing League.

A press conference is scheduled for noon on Tuesday at Barry Green's shop in Indianapolis and Andretti will reveal the details for his future as an owner/driver. Neither Andretti nor Green could be reached for comment Monday.

The 39-year-old second-generation star, CART's all-time winner with 42 triumphs, will field a two-car effort in 2003 that may or may not include him. But the veteran who has led 398 laps at Indianapolis without making it to Victory Lane is expected to compete next May, if nothing else.

With funding from American Honda, which is leaving CART at the end of this season to join the Indy Racing League and compete against Toyota, Andretti's team will be the factory Honda effort in the all-oval series.

Whether KOOL, which poured $50 million into Green's operation back in 1998, continues as a major sponsor remains to be seen. Ditto for Motorola, Andretti's title sponsor the past two years.

Green, who captured the 1995 Indy 500 and CART title with Jacques Villeneuve, currently campaigns Paul Tracy and Dario Franchitti under KOOL colors and runs Andretti with Motorola and Archipelago.

The New Zealand native owns 19 CART victories and 16 pole positions as a car owner but also served as team manager for Al Unser Jr. when he captured the CART crown in 1990 and the '92 Indy 500.

Andretti's defection is another victory for the IRL -- which picked up Team Penske this year and already has Target/Ganassi and Mo Nunn Racing competing in both open wheel series. Adrian Fernandez will soon announce he is also going to run both series next year and will be a Honda team as well.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:52 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The dam is breaking.....

Miller: Andretti deals CART another blow
By Robin Miller
ESPN.com

As first reported on RPM 2Night six weeks ago, Michael Andretti will officially become a car owner and announce his plans to purchase the team he currently drives for in Championship Auto Racing Teams -- Team KOOL Green -- and take it to the rival Indy Racing League.

A press conference is scheduled for noon on Tuesday at Barry Green's shop in Indianapolis and Andretti will reveal the details for his future as an owner/driver. Neither Andretti nor Green could be reached for comment Monday.

The 39-year-old second-generation star, CART's all-time winner with 42 triumphs, will field a two-car effort in 2003 that may or may not include him. But the veteran who has led 398 laps at Indianapolis without making it to Victory Lane is expected to compete next May, if nothing else.

With funding from American Honda, which is leaving CART at the end of this season to join the Indy Racing League and compete against Toyota, Andretti's team will be the factory Honda effort in the all-oval series.

Whether KOOL, which poured $50 million into Green's operation back in 1998, continues as a major sponsor remains to be seen. Ditto for Motorola, Andretti's title sponsor the past two years.

Green, who captured the 1995 Indy 500 and CART title with Jacques Villeneuve, currently campaigns Paul Tracy and Dario Franchitti under KOOL colors and runs Andretti with Motorola and Archipelago.

The New Zealand native owns 19 CART victories and 16 pole positions as a car owner but also served as team manager for Al Unser Jr. when he captured the CART crown in 1990 and the '92 Indy 500.

Andretti's defection is another victory for the IRL -- which picked up Team Penske this year and already has Target/Ganassi and Mo Nunn Racing competing in both open wheel series. Adrian Fernandez will soon announce he is also going to run both series next year and will be a Honda team as well.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I really, really want CART to survive!!! Ovals SUCK DONKEY ****!!

:angry: :angry:
Old 07-22-2002, 11:06 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
that really sounds like the nail in the coffin of CART....I hope not, I'll still go to support.
oval racing just isn't cool.
unless it's dirt trackin action.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:18 PM
Drifting

Adrian Fernandez will soon announce he is also going to run both series next year and will be a Honda team as well.

good lord that man is gonna be hella tired when the season is over i guess he must get bored on weekends with no races
Old 07-23-2002, 03:40 PM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

Where are all the CART fans now?? They sure are silent after another team deserts CART. It looks like now you all reliazed that my posts were all filled with FACTS!! Someone once said that I was wrong about CART, I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2002, 03:54 PM
Subie Dubie

Where are all the CART fans now?? They sure are silent after another team deserts CART. It looks like now you all reliazed that my posts were all filled with FACTS!! Someone once said that I was wrong about CART, I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're overreacting, Michael bought a Team which has been rumored for months. Daddy Andretti will have a team in CART next year with Franchitti rumored to be going there. Tracy will go to a 3 Canadian driver team at Players. So Team Andretti is Michael, a 40 year old who can't compete like he used to anymore and may be retiring to the IRL. Your info also comes from ESPN who is highly biased since they broadcast the IRL. Fact is, Michael could still drive in CART next year, or run cars in both series which is what all other reports said. Michael himself said he doesn't know what they are doing yet and won't for 60-90 days.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:59 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Astroboy
that really sounds like the nail in the coffin of CART....I hope not, I'll still go to support.
oval racing just isn't cool.
unless it's dirt trackin action.
Astro, you know this is a war, and CART isn't going anywhere. As a matter of fact, the Australia race will draw over 300k fans and Mexico over 400k !! Vancouver, Miami and Denver will also have huge crowds. By the way, how would you like a Players team of Carpentier, Tagliani and Tracy !!
Old 07-23-2002, 04:00 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by liquid_x

good lord that man is gonna be hella tired when the season is over i guess he must get bored on weekends with no races
I think Rip meant that he'll have teams in both series, Fernandez himself wouldn't run both.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:06 PM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

Astro, you know this is a war, and CART isn't going anywhere. As a matter of fact, the Australia race will draw over 300k fans and Mexico over 400k !! Vancouver, Miami and Denver will also have huge crowds. By the way, how would you like a Players team of Carpentier, Tagliani and Tracy !!
Red,

You need to work CART! They need people like you to promote thier product....but remember, the races you just mentioned are this year, and they still have all the sponsers and advertizers. Come next year they lose a lot of that....next season will be the deciding factor, can they survive or will they fold...stay tuned!
Old 07-23-2002, 04:23 PM
Subie Dubie

Red,

You need to work CART! They need people like you to promote thier product....but remember, the races you just mentioned are this year, and they still have all the sponsers and advertizers. Come next year they lose a lot of that....next season will be the deciding factor, can they survive or will they fold...stay tuned!
Yeah, the next few months are key, for awhile i heard Ganassi would be leaving, but now the rumor is he'll stay with 2 cars in CART, because the price of competing will be less due to the Spec Cosworth turbo. Alot will happen, some good, some bad. Stay tuned
Old 07-23-2002, 08:26 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am still here, I am just watching you and Red go back and forth!!
I am a DIE HARD CART fan!!!! I HATE THE IRL and REFUSE to watch it!!!!!!!! CART IS NOT DEAD YET!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I don't hear no FAT LADY warming up either!!!!! The next few months are critical. I hope that their heels are dug in for a good battle!!

This may be a thread that goes on for a LONG TIME, kinda like the Sac Meet post!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2002, 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

To make his series more attractive, Tony George pays Al Jr. $2M/year just to race! The wisdom of that decision is probably biting him in the ass now tho! :drunk
Old 08-01-2002, 06:41 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Chief F1 Fan
To make his series more attractive, Tony George pays Al Jr. $2M/year just to race! The wisdom of that decision is probably biting him in the ass now tho! :drunk
Good point, it's like when the USFL helped pay Herschel Walkers salary to help the league. Maybe they can get Mario to come out of retirement and drive for Michael
Old 08-02-2002, 06:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Pissed me off to no end when the Captain, ie-Roger Penske, defected to IRL. He was one of the members of the CART Board who started the series along w/ Pat Patrick, amongst others. Next year CART: one engine, one chassis w/ 2 configurations (speedway, roadtrack) significantly lower costs. It will be like an overgrown Formula Atlantic series! But, Pook is interested in keeping the series alive and attracting those from below (atlantic) up to the "big leagues." I hope it works b/c I have seen a lot of great CART races over the years. One of my best memories is of watching Mansell at Mid-Ohio snag pole from Fittipaldi in the closing minute of qualifying and being the first in line for his autograph/pic when he finished his interview! That was great.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:56 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Chief F1 Fan
Pissed me off to no end when the Captain, ie-Roger Penske, defected to IRL. He was one of the members of the CART Board who started the series along w/ Pat Patrick, amongst others. Next year CART: one engine, one chassis w/ 2 configurations (speedway, roadtrack) significantly lower costs. It will be like an overgrown Formula Atlantic series! But, Pook is interested in keeping the series alive and attracting those from below (atlantic) up to the "big leagues." I hope it works b/c I have seen a lot of great CART races over the years. One of my best memories is of watching Mansell at Mid-Ohio snag pole from Fittipaldi in the closing minute of qualifying and being the first in line for his autograph/pic when he finished his interview! That was great.
Yeah, i totally agree with you on Penske. He's the ultimate business guy though and Marlboro called the shot on IRL. Privately he has to be disgusted watching Helio and Gil running in circles in front of empty seats. I wish he'd run 1 car in CART. Speaking of great races, how about " THE PASS " Zanardi put on Herta at Laguna Seca !!!!!
Old 08-14-2002, 09:01 PM
10th Gear

It's sad what has happened to CART over the past few years. One idiotic move after another, but that is what you get when you try to rule by committee as opposed to having a strong leader out front doing the dirty work (i.e., Tony George for the IRL). I think Pook is the right guy, but he's dealing with a really, really weak hand.

Why did CART piss off Honda and Toyota by trying to go with normally aspirated engines and then back off and go to turbo-charged Ilmors for the next few years. Huh? How could Honda-Reynards dominate CART racing for years and then Reynard go belly-up?

CART should have been on top of the ball, but it got complacent. When the IRL was a real joke (more than it is now...remember when they couldn't even get straight who won an oval race cause they lost track of the leader and which lap he was on, and AJ Foyt decided to b!tch slap Arie Lyendyke(?) cause AJ thought his team had won????), CART could have put the kabash on them. But NOOOOOOOO, they let the IRL breathe, and you can't do that to an injured animal.

Remember, Tony George has a real personal beef with the CART management. It's a family thing. The CART guys essentially wrestled control away from USAC and left Tony's father in the lurch when CART was formed. This is Tony's revenge, and revenge is always a dish best served cold.

The IRL now has the Indy 500 (which, for better or for worse, CART should have killed as the premier motorsports race...a loss yes, but good for CART...CART could have always come back and revived the race), the U.S. Gran Prix (which means F1 is more aligned with the IRL now than with CART...F1 is perfectly happy with poaching young talent away from CART and into F1 for free) and is now getting Toyota, Honda, and may even keep Infiniti (at least one team with a rebadged engine).

It really sucks.

For my $0.02, here's what I would do:

(1) CART made a mistake by going international without securing international sponsors. Marlboro, etc. already spends a huge amount of money in F1 and with the new tobacco rules won't pick CART over F1 (neither would I). The same holds true for other US sponsors who have businesses overseas. If they support racing here, then they probably support them overseas and you don't need, or can't, support two expensive racing leagues. Before going overseas, CART should have found sponsors in Europe and Asia not currently supporting an F1 team or event (beer, soda, athletic equipment, wine, champagne, whatever) and give them advertising rights in those markets, plus limited rights here in the US. That can still be done.

(2) Drop the normally aspirated idea altogether and stay committed to turbo charging. CART can't afford to experiment with different engine formulas. They need to stick with what they know AND GO BEGGING AND SCREAMING ON THEIR KNEES BACK TO HONDA AND/OR TOYOTA TO COME BACK TO MOMMA. Any other enging manufacturers out there? Maybe give a sweat deal to Nissan/Infiniti (Nissan's used to dominate the IMSA, i.e., the Le Mans type sports car racing in the U.S.). Mercedes? BMW? Remind all these manufacturers that the U.S. is the biggest market for their products!%!$@!

(3) Cut down on the number of races. Too much money. Cut out alot of the 1 and 1.5 mile oval races. It's like NASCAR short-track racing (what a friggen joke those NASCAR races are...it's like looking at hampsters running around...I guess if you drink enough beer, it looks like racing..why not try tricycles). The name of the game in CART is speed and skill. Stick with road, street and 2.5 mile ovals. Build one if you need to.

(4) DO NOT. DO NOT CANCEL RACES THE DAY BEFORE OR THE DAY OF THE RACE. I know it was a safety issue, but what I mean is that there should have been way more prep work into the Texas race.

(5) HYPE UP THE GOOD RACES THAT YOU GOT!!!! And do it creatively. Remember the movie 'Driven?" That set CART back a decade. To top it off, the product promotion for that movie could only be found on the NASCAR website!!!! HUH?!?!?!?!?! Have some product control and make ever dollar count. Prime time advertising, product placements in line with sponsors, radio spots, toys, better video games, a website, yes movies (Days of Thunder type). JUST SIT DOWN AND THINK IT THROUGH AS A LEAGUE, NOT JUST INDIVIDUAL TEAMS AND SPONSORS!!!!

(6) We need drivers that will commit to the program, not just use CART as a step to F1. There is such a constant flow in and out, that I am getting seasick. No one knows the names of these people anymore. Where are the Emmos, Unsers, Mears and Andrettis. I know in the case of Emmo and both Mario and Michael, there was some F1 and CART shifting going on, but these guys will always be tied with CART and not F1. They made a commitment to make CART work and they did.

CART is not dead, but it is in a really crucial time. They really need to get their ass in gear.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:28 AM
Subie Dubie

You make lots of very good points. CART did fiddle away alot of time under Heitzler who may have been the worst executive in history. Pook is the right guy and i'm still betting he can pull this off.