Bernie to buy CART ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 05:02 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bernie to buy CART ??

Any of you F1 gurus heard the rumor that Bernie may buy a controlling interest in CART ? He might as well, with JV, JPM, and maybe DaMatta he might as well call it the F1 feeder series !!
Old 09-30-2002, 05:21 PM
My other car is a 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hadn't heard that one...I thought he was in discussions to buy a huge chunk of Ferrari...
Old 10-01-2002, 04:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,860 Likes on 3,480 Posts
Old 10-01-2002, 04:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Actually, here's the story (old)

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has admitted that he is interested in buying Ferrari.

Ecclestone has confirmed that he could well be among the bidders if Ferrari’s owners, the troubled Fiat group, decide to cash in one of their most prized assets.

He told the Gazzetta dello Sport: "It depends on how the company was structured. Ferrari spends much of its profits from car sales on motor racing. If it didn’t do that, would they sell? Who knows?

"But Luca di Montezemolo and Piero Ferrari have done an excellent job. The brand is strong."

Ecclestone said he was not interested in buying a smaller stake in Ferrari, only in taking a controlling interest in the company.

He said: "I don’t know if I would buy shares, but for sure I’d be interested in buying Ferrari if the price was right.

"I don’t buy six per cent of companies, I buy 60 per cent."

Ecclestone has been out of team management ever since he sold Brabham in 1987. As the owner of Formula 1’s commercial rights, there is some oncern as to whether buying Ferrari would create a conflict of interest.

Frank Williams told Motorsport News: "There might be some lack of independence, but it’s not appropriate to comment."
Old 10-01-2002, 07:17 AM
Burning Brakes

The rumor of Bernie buying / into CART has been around for a while. I'll believe it when it happens.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:56 PM
Advanced

He'll never buy into CART an "inferior" series by Bernie's account. WTF would he do that, it makes no sense. Besides, CART's a losing proposition as it hasn't been in the black in 3 years. Bernie's rich if for no other reason than just bein' plain smart and that doesn't include owning a series that's goin' down the toidy. Just my 2 cents!
Old 10-01-2002, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Note - I'm not saying this is fact, just what the rumor has been.

Supposedly Bernie's been looking to buy in because he wants it 1) For a feeder series - F3000 is taking gas bigger than CART; 2) To establish a presence in the US and 3) To stick it to the France (ISC) family and TG because they're getting too big for Bernie's liking.

CART was plenty in the black until this year. Heitzler and the Board couldn't have screwed up more if they had planned it all. The only chance of saving the deal is Pook, and he may have come on board too late. CART's not dead yet, but next year (and there are those who doubt next year will happen) will tell the tale.

If CART tanks, kiss professional road racing in the US goodbye. Teams, drivers and most importantly --tracks-- need a first line race series. ALMS won't do. What will MidO, Road America, Portland, Laguna do without a headline weekend? They've got bills to pay too. Who will run a series? SCCA? That's a joke in itself. IMSA? There're having a hard time doing ALMS. GrandAM? Bigger joke than SCCA.

But, like I said, Bernie's potential involvement is somebody else's rumor, not mine. Just repeating stuff that was posted elsewhere.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:46 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Starter
Note - I'm not saying this is fact, just what the rumor has been.

Supposedly Bernie's been looking to buy in because he wants it 1) For a feeder series - F3000 is taking gas bigger than CART; 2) To establish a presence in the US and 3) To stick it to the France (ISC) family and TG because they're getting too big for Bernie's liking.

CART was plenty in the black until this year. Heitzler and the Board couldn't have screwed up more if they had planned it all. The only chance of saving the deal is Pook, and he may have come on board too late. CART's not dead yet, but next year (and there are those who doubt next year will happen) will tell the tale.

If CART tanks, kiss professional road racing in the US goodbye. Teams, drivers and most importantly --tracks-- need a first line race series. ALMS won't do. What will MidO, Road America, Portland, Laguna do without a headline weekend? They've got bills to pay too. Who will run a series? SCCA? That's a joke in itself. IMSA? There're having a hard time doing ALMS. GrandAM? Bigger joke than SCCA.

But, like I said, Bernie's potential involvement is somebody else's rumor, not mine. Just repeating stuff that was posted elsewhere.
Well if he doesn't like TG, the first thing he should do is find a better place to run the U.S. G.P than Indy !!
Old 10-02-2002, 07:37 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't think TG & Bernie are exactly best friends. TG is cutthroat, but is a babe in arms compared to Bernie.

He needed a US venue for a GP, TG was there and had lots of money to spend (a key ingredient as far as Bernis is concerned).
Old 10-02-2002, 05:54 PM
Subie Dubie

Something is up, CART stock jumped close to 14% today and volume was around 70,000 shares. Someone's buying.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Hey Red, are you a shareholder in CART? You oughta hang on till the time is right and sell, sell, sell! I bought Jag stock for 7, sold it for 18.50 next day (x 1,000). Nice! Just wondering since you seem to be watching the stock that's all.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:30 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Chief F1 Fan
Hey Red, are you a shareholder in CART? You oughta hang on till the time is right and sell, sell, sell! I bought Jag stock for 7, sold it for 18.50 next day (x 1,000). Nice! Just wondering since you seem to be watching the stock that's all.
I don't own any. I'm watching for 2 reasons, it can't go much lower and it's not much of a risk to buy, especially if someone like Forsythe or Bernie decides to buy it all. 2nd, it is an indicator of the future and i also want to show support for the series. Maybe all CART fans should buy some and we could own a share and have some say in decisions. That would be
Old 10-04-2002, 05:53 AM
Senior Moderator

It wld be cool Red except that the amount I can afford wouldn't give me the power to even tell them what toilet paper to buy for the executive washroom!