Andretti to IRL with Franchitti and Kanaan

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 04:04 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andretti to IRL with Franchitti and Kanaan

I am so bummed. I was hoping Michael would reconsider and run at least one car in CART. Today he announced that he would not run in CART, and even worse, he's taking Franchitti and Tony K. with him. All of these great road racers going to an all oval series. Money talks, that's for sure. Franchitti said he wasn't interested in the IRL as recently as 3 weeks ago, because he's a road racer. Honda gave the big bucks to Andretti, as well as free engines and bye bye Dario. This sucks
Old 09-18-2002, 05:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,880 Likes on 3,491 Posts
I agree. CART was THE most exciting open wheel series for a long time. Ultra competitive, lots of passing, any one cld win on any given day and now it's just a shell of its former self. We traveled all over watching the races (Fontana, Toronto, Mid Ohio, Pocono, Cleveland and Long Beach) watching JV, Mansell, Andrettis, et al. I completely agree Red, this sucks. When Tony G started the IRL I was so pissed b/c it was like the boy who had the baseball was saying the game was over b/c he was going home (ie-Indy raceway) and if you want to come with me, you'd better forget turbos, 3 differrent chassis makers, and road racing. I enjoy oval racing once in a while, but not the whole season. I grew up near Watkins Glen and watching F1 w/ my Dad so ovals are a definite second. I honestly didn't think Andretti wld go over to the dark side, but sponsor pressure must be huge to be seen on Memorial Day Weekend worldwide so he may not have had a choice. Now IRL will have all the good racers and CART will be the retirement league I guess.

Old 09-21-2002, 01:24 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Chief F1 Fan
I agree. CART was THE most exciting open wheel series for a long time. Ultra competitive, lots of passing, any one cld win on any given day and now it's just a shell of its former self. We traveled all over watching the races (Fontana, Toronto, Mid Ohio, Pocono, Cleveland and Long Beach) watching JV, Mansell, Andrettis, et al. I completely agree Red, this sucks. When Tony G started the IRL I was so pissed b/c it was like the boy who had the baseball was saying the game was over b/c he was going home (ie-Indy raceway) and if you want to come with me, you'd better forget turbos, 3 differrent chassis makers, and road racing. I enjoy oval racing once in a while, but not the whole season. I grew up near Watkins Glen and watching F1 w/ my Dad so ovals are a definite second. I honestly didn't think Andretti wld go over to the dark side, but sponsor pressure must be huge to be seen on Memorial Day Weekend worldwide so he may not have had a choice. Now IRL will have all the good racers and CART will be the retirement league I guess.

Well the IRL could be alienating most of their teams other than the CART transplants and that could come back to haunt them. CART needs to stay the course, have 2 good years with the spec engines and develop a unique formula for 2005. Maybe Toyoya and Honda will be back, who knows. At least CART won't be turning left only