1 horrible injury/1 death in 1 week :/

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
1 horrible injury/1 death in 1 week :/

First of all I'm sure ya'll have heard all this news before but thought I would post it up regardless.

Henry Surtees was killed in at Brands Hatch. Another driver crashed and his wheel flew off and hit Surtees in the head as he was driving by... I mean man, talk about wrong place, wrong time.
Here is a vid clip of it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06dsOwfe7xo

Then a few days ago at the Hungarian GP qualifying, Felipe Massa was in the same boat. A large spring that broke off of Barrichello's car and hit him in the head that did heavy damage to his left eye socket, but he didn't die.
Clip of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73AMtoeZyog

Both just in hte wrong place at the wrong time, so sad, so unlucky...
Old 07-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
I saw n ESPN that Massa was in surgury for a fractured skull. Jesus Christ
Old 07-26-2009, 12:08 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Massa after the crash pic, at the below link. He doesn't look good. Hopefully he makes a fully recovery and can make it back for next season.

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutise...2009/07/920735
Old 07-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Holy shit ^^^^

Hopefully he makes a quick recovery and has no lasting injuries/problems.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Senior Moderator

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/7/9671.html

Ferrari’s Felipe Massa will not race in Sunday’s Hungarian Grand Prix following his high-speed qualifying crash at the Hungaroring, the team have confirmed. Massa was airlifted to AEK Hospital in Budapest, where he is in a stable condition.

“Felipe was conscious at the arrival at the hospital,” said a Ferrari statement, adding that Massa had suffered a cut on his forehead, concussion and a bone lesion of the skull. Massa underwent surgery to treat these conditions, the outcome of which was positive. He will now remain under observation in intensive care.

The Brazilian speared off the track and into the tyre wall at Turn 4 late in the Q2 session after a rear damper spring that had come loose from the Brawn car of Rubens Barrichello struck his helmet.

Medics were quickly in attendance and the start of Q3 was delayed as they extricated the Brazilian. After initial examinations at the medical centre, Massa, eighth fastest in Q2, was transferred to hospital for further treatment.

Ferrari are expected to release an update on Massa's condition on Sunday morning.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,100 Likes on 3,608 Posts
the doctors who performed the surgery said Ferrari's press release grossly understated the extent of his injuries. This morning all the feeds say he is stable. That was terrible! Godspeed Felipe!
Old 07-26-2009, 02:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,578 Posts
Hope for a full recovery for Massa.

Hard to believe the spring bounced just at the right height and time.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:52 PM
AZ Community Team

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RtU4mKAQD0

Here is the link on youtube, the first listed one is no longer available.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Unofficial Goat

They are reporting that a second brain scan is showing positive signs, but they are keeping him in a medically induced coma for another 2 days. His family was flown out and are now at the hospital in hungary. Here's hoping he's alright.

On other related news there's rumors that Ferrari team principle has approached Schumi to run the car in Massa's place until he can return.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Some reports say he might have damage to his left eye, meaning his racing career might be over. Hope that isn't the case, but if it is, at least he'll have walked away alive.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Poor Massa. Hope he recovers quickly.

ANd F'ing F1 and not being able to have any clips online. I cant view it any where.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So... wonder how long before cars get changed to have fighter jet style hatches over the drivers?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:41 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
^^^^^ Auto racing is a dangerous sports no matter how much protection is being put in. Unless one start racing tanks.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^ Auto racing is a dangerous sports no matter how much protection is being put in. Unless one start racing tanks.
Did I say otherwise? Many of the changes to racing in open wheel and NASCAR are made after deaths/injuries to help prevent them from happening in the future.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by Josh99CL
So... wonder how long before cars get changed to have fighter jet style hatches over the drivers?
Don't think you'll see it. What will likely happen but you won't see, are increased standards on the crash helmets, visors, and mechanisms to keep the visor down in this short of accident. This was a freak accident, they are not going to reinvent the cars over it. I'm curious to see the engineering report on the malfunction on Rubens car, those transverse dampers look almost impossible to just fly off the car. Here's a pic for reference.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:27 AM
Senior Moderator

This incident is from a unforeseeable set of circumstances. A knee-jerk reaction requiring cars to have canopies would be unfortunate. What would happen if the car was upside down, on fire and the driver was trapped by the canopy? Fire is rare nowadays too but you get the idea. Canopies would make the cars look like azzzz. What's ironic about all this is Surtees' death was seen by Massa as very sad who spoke publicly about it; a week later he gets hit on the head like Surtees and Fernando's wheel breaks loose. NO wonder the race stewards came down so heavy on the Regie and banned them for a race.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,119 Likes on 803 Posts
Career over?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77379

Doctors say it is too early to judge whether Felipe Massa will race again after it was revealed on Monday that the Brazilian suffered damage to his left eye in his Hungarian Grand Prix crash.

Massa is still in hospital recovering from a skull fracture and concussion after he was hit in the face by a spring from Rubens Barrichello's car.

Local media quoted the hospital's professor Robert Veres from Budapest as saying that the eye injury could be enough to end Massa's F1 career.

"He has suffered some damage to the eye," said Veres. "We don't know whether he'll be able to race again."

The AEK hospital in Budapest is scheduled to hold a press conference this evening to update the media on Massa's injuries.

The spring struck Massa just above his left eye, smashing his helmet and fracturing his skull.

Doctors also confirmed on Monday that the operation that was conducted on Saturday afternoon saved Massa's life.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo visited Massa in hospital on Monday.
Sad. If that spring was half an inch lower, Massa probably wouldn't have survived.

All kinds of speculation on his (temporary?) replacement now. Alonso or Schumacher?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Senior Moderator

MS
Old 07-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Senior Moderator

It will be sad if he cannot race again.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
terrible injury....look at that helmet!!!! He looks like he is already in shock!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:11 AM

So sorry to hear about the death of the other racer too... praying for both families... even when you're in a dangerous sport, these things still catch you and ur family off guard!
Old 07-28-2009, 12:46 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by The Dougler
Don't think you'll see it. What will likely happen but you won't see, are increased standards on the crash helmets, visors, and mechanisms to keep the visor down in this short of accident. This was a freak accident, they are not going to reinvent the cars over it. I'm curious to see the engineering report on the malfunction on Rubens car, those transverse dampers look almost impossible to just fly off the car. Here's a pic for reference.
Looking at the picture having seen some F1 coil over damper assemblies I was wondering the same thing. Even is the adjuster ring or spring cap failed it would remain captive with the damper (unless the damper rod broke and the spring came out). I presume there was a damper in the center, it's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like there is.

Again, hope for a quick and full recovery for Massa.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Looking at the picture having seen some F1 coil over damper assemblies I was wondering the same thing. Even is the adjuster ring or spring cap failed it would remain captive with the damper (unless the damper rod broke and the spring came out). I presume there was a damper in the center, it's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like there is.

Again, hope for a quick and full recovery for Massa.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,338 Likes on 5,251 Posts
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009...massa-hospital

'No doubt' that Felipe Massa will race again, says driver's doctor

• Massa has taken his first steps since fracturing his skull
• Brazilian to stay in hospital 'for the next few days'

• Wednesday 29 July 2009 15.40 BST
A Hungarian fan shows her support for the Ferrari driver Felipe Massa in front of Budapest's AEK hospital. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images

Felipe Massa has been moved out of intensive care, with his personal doctor now convinced he will race again.

Massa's rapid improvement since undergoing surgery on Saturday to repair a fractured skull has prompted doctors at the AEK military hospital in Budapest to move the Brazilian to his own private room.

It means Massa is now off the critical list, although the 28-year-old will continue to be closely monitored. On Monday there were fears he may never drive again due to damage to his left eye, but Massa's progress has convinced his own doctor, Dino Altmann, that the Ferrari star's career is far from over.

Speaking to Gazzetta dello Sport, Altmann said: "I have no doubt Felipe will race again. I'm sure of that. The situation is still delicate but ... from the beginning I felt the trauma wasn't as extended as it was believed but the improvements have gone beyond our wildest expectations."

Altmann believes fears surrounding Massa's left eye, damaged after he was struck on the helmet at 162mph by a suspension spring that had worked free from Rubens Barrichello's Brawn during qualifying on Saturday, have eased.

"Stimulated by the physiotherapist, he showed he knows left from right and has full awareness of distance and depth," added Altmann. "His eye has been opened, with care because it is still swollen, and he has said he can see. His vision has not weakened. He also gave appropriate answers in three languages: Portuguese, Italian and English. That means the brain's cognitive area is fine."

The Ferrari team principal, Stefano Domenicali, has been amazed by the rate of recovery, prompting him to return to Italy yesterday.

"It's a fantastic improvement. Only days after the crash he's made encouraging progress," said Domenicali. "He recognised me, I greeted him and I brought him all the team's and the fans' warmth and support.

"He replied to me in Italian, after he had spoken to his family in Portuguese. He told me he can't remember anything that had happened: that's a good thing. The data is encouraging but in these situations it's better to be prudent and take one step at a time. We want him to recover as soon as possible."

Domenicali has confirmed there are no issues surrounding Massa's return, with the seat being kept warm until he is fit again. "I confirmed to him we are looking forward to his return soon, that the car is his, and that as soon as he's ready he'll be back with us."

Barrichello, who is in America with his family, remarked on his Twitter feed his delight at Massa's improvement. "Good morning, and a very good morning indeed – Felipe can walk and talks normally."

Massa's friend and fellow Brazilian driver Popo Bueno said Massa had asked about his chances of racing in Valencia in three weeks, the next grand prix on the Formula One calendar.

"Friends and relatives want to see him well, at home, healthy but the driver always wants to return to racing soon," Bueno said. "But only the doctors can know if he will be able to return this year or the next."
Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Unofficial Goat

Great news
Old 08-02-2009, 05:27 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Someone at the autocross yesterday had this on their car

Old 08-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^
Old 08-17-2009, 01:38 PM
AZ Community Team

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/autoprixmassabra

Car racing's Massa recovering; eyeing October return
Old 08-17-2009, 01:58 PM

great news!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:16 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^ Indeed!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Great news!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,338 Likes on 5,251 Posts
very good to hear.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:46 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Kimi Raikkonen has not telephoned or visited Felipe Massa since his Ferrari teammate was injured at the Hungarian Grand Prix last month.

"Kimi has not called but I saw a video made by Sky (television) with all the drivers. He sent me a card to the hospital," Massa, 28, told Brazilian reporters on Monday.

Massa, however, said Raikkonen's silence is "no problem" since the Finn is a "unique person".

Michael Schumacher has been in contact with the Brazilian since he had to call off his sensational Valencia comeback, Massa revealed.

"He told me had had pain in his neck when the car drove over bumps on the circuit," Massa said.

Recent speculation has hinted at a return for Massa at the Italian grandprix next month, but the driver instead said he is simply hoping to come back before the end of the season.

"I'm still not 100 per cent and my sight in the left eye still isn't 100 per cent," Massa insisted. "I'm about 85, 90 per cent recovered. There is still a bit to go before I'm back to normal."

He said his convalescence at present is "boring" because he is not allowed to do any physical training, and revealed that he will have some cosmetic surgery to correct his facial scar.
Is Kimi the most introverted driver ever? Even more so than Mika?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F-C
Is Kimi the most introverted driver ever? Even more so than Mika?
Kimi makes Mika seem like Regis Philbin!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:57 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...in-until-2010/

Ferrari has said that Felipe Massa will be fully fit for the start of next season, but he won’t be able to return to the track this season, as had been hoped.

The Brazilian had a series of medical checks in Miami on Monday, overseen by Steve Olvey.

Ferrari had been waiting for firm news on its injured driver before deciding on its plans for the remainder of the season. Now that it knows that it has to fill the vacant seat for all five races, there will clearly be a major effort to secure the best possible candidate for the drive.

Giancarlo Fisichella remains favorite, but the Renault scandal has opened up the possibility of Fernado Alonso becoming available should the team face a ban from the later races of the year – unless he too is implicated by the FIA.

A statement on Ferrari’s website read as follows: ‘It was a long day yesterday for Felipe Massa, seen by doctors. The Ferrari driver flew to Miami on Sunday for some important check-ups carried out by Professor Stephen Olvey, Head of the Jackson Memorial Hospital Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit.

‘The checks (neurometric and impact tests, cognitive capacity tests) all had a positive outcome, just like the eye exam: everything is in order for Felipe to get back to racing. Now there has just to be carried out some plastic surgery at the brain box, where the spring at the accident at the Hungaroring hit his helmet. The surgery will take place in the upcoming days. After a short convalescence Felipe can then gradually start with physical preparations.

“I’m very happy about the results,” Felipe told the official Ferrari website before boarding the plane back to Sao Paulo. “After the small surgery in the next days I can finally start to go to the gym to get back into shape and drive some tests in karts. On the track with a Formula 1 single-seater? Let’s take it step by step: at the moment I’m concentrating on taking up physical activities, which is a great step forward.”

‘Naturally the results were received with great joy and satisfaction at Maranello with the prospect to be able to count on Felipe 100% for the start of the next racing season.’
See you next year Massa. Fisichella to Ferrari?