Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

ZAAP - Anyone ?

Old 11-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZAAP - Anyone ?

Does anyone know anything about the company ZAP ? It stands for Zero Air Pollution and their symbol is ZAAP. They are a small car company importing and selling the Smart Cars for sale in the United States.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahoo Finance
ZAP engages in the development, acquisition, and commercialization of electric vehicles and electric vehicle power systems in the United States. Its products include three-wheeled personal transporters, off road vehicles, and portable energy. The company also produces an electric scooter using parts manufactured by various contractors, as well as rechargeable battery sources using lithium-ion and lithium polymer technology for mobile electronics, such as cellular phones, digital cameras and laptops. It markets various forms of transportation, including alternative energy and fuel efficient automobiles, motorcycles, bicycles, scooters, personal watercraft, hovercraft, neighborhood electric vehicles, and commercial vehicles. In addition, ZAP rents electric vehicles in tourist locations. It markets and sells its automobile products through its Web site, independent representatives, retail outlets, and automobile dealers. The company was founded in 1994 as ZAP Power Systems. It changed its name to ZAPWORLD.COM in 1999 and to ZAP in 2001. ZAP is headquartered in Santa Rosa, California.
After looking at their website and looking into their products (haven't really looked at the financials yet), they look like they've got potential, especially with teaming up with Lotus for some of their designs. The Zap X looks decent and 0-60 in 4-5 sec and 350 miles/charge isn't bad, especially for the price.

If you type in the ticker ZAAP, .OB is added to the end. If I recall from my finance classes, this OB means Out of Bankruptcy. This company's future really depends on supply/demand and marketing. Since I've never heard of them until this point and their stock price is only $.99 (currently) I'm assuming they haven't really gotten their name out there yet. I am curious to see what happens/where this company goes in the future though. I'm not sure I'd put too much money into it, but it might not be a bad gamble.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Racer

My thoughts are this: Daimler Chrysler is also going to market the Smart Car from what I understand. Now if I were Daimler, I would want to buy up the smaller companies that are also selling the product I'm selling to eliminate the competition. If THAT happens, wouldn't the ZAAP stock automatically become Chrysler stock ? If that does happen, Daimler ( DAI ) is selling for over $100 right now.....
Old 11-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As far as I can tell, after some research, DaimlerChrysler (no longer a combined company) signed a contract with ZAP in '04 granting them exclusive sales rights for the SMART in the US. The question now is, who still makes the SMART, I'm thinking Daimler Benz still has the rights to the car, and probably still has the contract with ZAP. According to an article I found, they were supposed to start bringing them in 2006. I have only seen 1 SMART in the US. Not saying there aren't more of them, but the only ad that I've seen with one in it was for the Nintendo Wii, not the SMART.

As far as the stock goes, looking at their previous financials and judging by their current lack of market share, I'd say it's a fairly risky investment, with possible potential. ZAP won't get bought by Daimler, or Chrysler's holding company for that matter though. The share price will be determined by their business and if their past is any indication of their future, it's not looking so good. However, with gas prices constantly on the rise and people looking for alternative forms of transportation, they may just be placing themselves in the right place at the right time. It's really hard to speculate though, especially since I can't find THAT much information about the company, consumer reactions to their products, or any current information about their deal with Daimler.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Racer

I appreciate you digging. I really didn't know where to start. You've already told me more than I knew. I've watched their stock for quite some time and it really hasn't moved a great deal. I was thinking like you were, right time for this type of company to take off. One dollar a share wouldn't be a bad price to get in if they were on the way up.