Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Medical bill settle or pay in full?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Medical bill settle or pay in full?

I have an outstanding medical bill for $800 stemming from an ER visit. I have sent the collection agency a debt validation request letter and received a response several days ago. In that letter they said they would remove the negative listing from my credit report. Sure enough it no longer appears on my equifax report. My plan is to draft up a settlement letter and get them to agree in writing to the agreement before sending payment. My question is should I pay he full amount or offer a settlement of $500? Is there a way I can have them not report the payment to the credit bureaus? I'm concerned with a "settled in full" appearing and lowering my score.

Not looking for legal advice. Just looking for suggestions from those who have been in similar situations.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
I can't say I've had a similar experience, however, I've known enough people who have had to deal with this kind of shit on everything from bogus cell phone charges supposedly on their account AFTER it had been closed and paid out from a final bill sent in the mail, only to have that charge sent to collections, right down to people with medical bills like yours going to collections even when they pay.

What I'm saying is - there are very few things in this world that I will not fuck with and fight - one of those few things would be the potential of having a debt sent to a collection agency. I would be doing everything I could to ensure it went as smoothly as possibly to just get it out of sight and be done with it. If that means I pay my debt in full, then I pay it in full.

The best advice I can give is straight up document EVERYTHING. Every person you talk to, date and time, names, phone numbers - I would even go so far as to record my phone conversations with them. Keep original copies of everything and make photocopies. Collection agencies are some of the worst people on the planet to have to deal with.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I am definitely trying to keep a paper trail. Sending everything via certified mail. Documenting everything. I'm not even dealing with them on the phone because I heard that gets you no where