Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

investments or very small businesses?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:53 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
investments or very small businesses?

I have about 15k or so to play with for now, at the moment it is currently invested, i have about a third invested in medium risk mutual funds and the rest in 2 somewhat stable high dividend yield stocks.
I don't like to have money sitting around, that is when i start to try and buy things with it, and i feel this way, it is actually doing something, even if i'm not gaining much interest.
just wondering what you guys think i should be doing with this money as you probably have a lot more experience than me.
I would be willing to put in time of my own, that is why i said very small business, maybe a few vending machines or something like that, i have been looking into them, but cannot find much "real-world" advice as a lot of people want you to buy their products, and pay them. But something of the same type would probably be perfect, as it's a lower investment, should be able to do the work myself, and low if no overhead costs.
I work a regular 40 hours a week, so i can spare some hours (maybe around 10) per week if it grants me some extra income, obviously depending on the type of work
I really want to start getting into owning some sort of business, maybe a franchise in the future, i feel that this is just something i can do for now.
I currently work in the civil engineering field with a great company/good benefits, and have just completed 3 years of college.
But i feel like i should be doing something on my own as well, just to get some extra money, and maybe even spend some of the extra time i have on my hands now.

any info or help would be greatly appreciated guys, and i'm open to any types of suggestions/ideas
Old 06-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,206 Posts
The easiest side venture I have found is to trade stocks during the day. I sit in front of this stupid PC all day so it's pretty easy to keep tabs on what's going on in the financial world.

If you want to do vending look into redbox. Apparently those machines do really well.