Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

How to Think Smarter About Risk

Old 06-15-2010, 05:31 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
How to Think Smarter About Risk

Too many investors may be taking big chances with their money because they aren't considering the most important asset of all: themselves

By MOSHE A. MILEVSKY

Sit back for a moment and ponder something unpleasant: How would a large, sustained drop in the stock market affect your personal finances? More specifically, imagine the Dow Jones Industrial Average hitting 6500—its March 2009 level—and staying there.

I suspect that most of you are thinking about the wretched blow this would deal to your retirement savings and stock portfolio. And it no doubt would. But here's my advice: Think more broadly. Most important, think about how such a drop would affect your paycheck and your career.

It will depend on the person, of course. Earnings in some professions are tightly linked to the stock market—an investment banker, say, or portfolio manager or financial adviser—while others, such as hospital nurses or tenured professors, are relatively immune to these zigs and zags. Most people will fall somewhere in between.

Consider this an exercise in personal risk management. It isn't intended to gauge whether you believe the stock market will test those levels again, and I'm not asking whether you are bullish or bearish. That is not what personal risk management is about, even if it is how most people practice it. The issue here is: If the bear returns for a prolonged visit, regardless of your subjective view of these odds, how would it affect your current and future earning power? And—more important—are you properly considering it when creating your investment portfolio?

I doubt it. In fact, I worry that one of the problems plaguing both investors and their financial advisers is that asset-allocation decisions are based excessively on how people feel (risk-averse or risk-tolerant) and what they believe (bullish or bearish about the stock market) as opposed to how much risk their personal balance sheets can tolerate.

To put it in even more-basic terms: As part of any asset-allocation strategy, you need to determine whether you are a stock, with earnings that can fluctuate wildly with the market, or a bond, with earnings that are less flashy but steady.

You will likely find that the overall level of risk you are taking is much higher or lower than you think.....
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...612181000.html
Old 06-16-2010, 01:23 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Unfortunately the counter risk is that by investing in low yield bonds, you will under-accumulate and be significantly short of funds come retirement.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Unfortunately the counter risk is that by investing in low yield bonds, you will under-accumulate and be significantly short of funds come retirement.
I think the article assumes that you accumulate from your job earnings as well as your investments. All it's saying is if your salary is highly subject to the vagaries of the market, you should consider that when crafting the risk profile of your investment portfolio.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I doubt it. In fact, I worry that one of the problems plaguing both investors and their financial advisers is that asset-allocation decisions are based excessively on how people feel (risk-averse or risk-tolerant) and what they believe (bullish or bearish about the stock market) as opposed to how much risk their personal balance sheets can tolerate.
Yes but that feeling is tied to the level of risk they can tolerate.

Just saying I'm risk averse means nothing. Any half-decent FA will ask why you feel that way.

My risk is directly tied to the stage in my life:
Young kids (braces, bar/bat mitzvahs, college, weddings)
~25 years left to work
Not saving for the purchase of a home
Old 06-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
I think the article assumes that you accumulate from your job earnings as well as your investments. All it's saying is if your salary is highly subject to the vagaries of the market, you should consider that when crafting the risk profile of your investment portfolio.
Good point. Glad mine isn't.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Good point. Glad mine isn't.

Fortunately, skin cancer doesn't care about the Dow Jones.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:25 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Just saying I'm risk averse means nothing.
You remember the glory days when realtors used to say such things as:

Buy as much home as you can afford. Or, you'll grow into your mortgage.

Wasn't long ago that retail Financial Advisors would say:

Only commit money to investments if you can stomach a 20% loss of principle. Or, don't invest in stocks unless its 5yr money.

Point being, I found the article interesting because it runs counter to conventional wisdom. Times like these where the S&P is flat for 12 years and housing is depreciating calls for out of the box thinking.

Or maybe its just time to be contrarian and become a raging bull on US houses and US stocks when the herd is bearish on both asset classes!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:37 PM
I feel the need...

To be a winning investor, know the risks

Challenges are more fun when you’re winning. You don’t need an academic study to know that.

Yet a pair of studies on investor behavior released last week not only showcase the obvious — that investors remain wary about taking on stock-market risk — but make you hope that your dollars as a fund shareholder or taxpayer are not paying to foot the researcher’s bill.

Behind the obvious answers, however, is a real concern, namely that investors are doing what feels good, rather than what most experts believe is right. If you fall into that category, you may want to toughen up and learn from the mistakes of others.

First, the research:

An annual survey by the Investment Company Institute showed that mutual fund shareholders’ overall willingness to take investment risk has not rebounded since the financial crisis of 2008.

Some 30% of fund investors were willing to take substantial or above-average risk trying to register financial gains this May, down from 37% in May 2008, a few months before the financial crisis hit. The ICI, the fund industry trade association, noted that the decline in risk tolerance between May 2008 and May of this year showed up across all age groups, but was more pronounced with older investors, who reported a much lower risk tolerance than their younger peers.

Meanwhile, a University of Missouri study published in the Journal of Economic Issues showed that investors have become wary about taking risks with the stock market while the U.S. economy has been lagging, and that risk behavior has been tied to market returns for a long time.....
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/to-...sks-2010-10-06
Old 10-06-2010, 07:48 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Challenges are more fun when you’re winning. You don’t need an academic study to know that.
Yea really. Academia...

Too many folks haven't revised their methodology, too bad. Treating economics like a natural science was debunked a long time ago.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:11 PM
I feel the need...

Kiss Your Assets Goodbye When Certainty Reigns

“The markets hate uncertainty.”

If you wandered anywhere near a television in advance of the midterm elections, the Federal Open Market Committee meeting or October’s employment report, that cliche was unavoidable. It was the pundits’ preferred proverb.

Wall Street has a sweet tooth for such investing maxims. They infect the trading community like influenza in December. Repeat mindless dictums ad nauseam, and they soon become the accepted wisdom.

The problem with these supposed truisms is they are no more accurate than the flip of a coin. A closer look at this uncertainty meme reveals it to be a false-ism -- one of those emotionally appealing phrases that ping around trading desks. The lack of evidence supporting their premise seems to matter very little.

To recognize how meaningless these statements are, consider the opposite: Could markets function without uncertainty? It takes only a little thought to realize that markets actually thrive on doubt, imperfect information and a lack of consensus.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...-ritholtz.html