Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

How do company stock options work?

Old 12-04-2004, 01:55 PM
I have the need for speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do company stock options work?

I have no idea how stock options work. I'd rather ask you guys since most of you are pretty good with money. My company gave me 200 shares as an award this year at a locked in price of $50. So after four years vested, and the price of the stock increased by $5, will the total of the shares I have equal to $11,000? Can I sell the shares I have at the given market price? Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 12-04-2004, 08:28 PM
Manny Tranny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcl_cls01
I have no idea how stock options work. I'd rather ask you guys since most of you are pretty good with money. My company gave me 200 shares as an award this year at a locked in price of $50. So after four years vested, and the price of the stock increased by $5, will the total of the shares I have equal to $11,000? Can I sell the shares I have at the given market price? Please correct me if I'm wrong...
The market value may be $11,000, but you wont see much of that in your pocket. Employees profit if they can sell their stock for more than they paid at exercise. Basically this means in 4 years after vesting, your employer may allow you to exercise a block of stock. This means you can purchase the stock for $50 (your exercise price) and turn around and sell it immediatly at the current price, say $55. This would yeild you $5 per share exercised minus tax on that gain. So in your example, 200 shares at $5.00 = $1000. Uncle Sam will take 1/3 so around $700 bucks in your pocket.