Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

help with new stock investment

Old 03-13-2005 | 11:32 AM
Racer

help with new stock investment

i was wondering if you guys can help me with the screen below. i am looking to buy some stock hopefully soon but i would like to get more aquainted with the screens and my program b4 i buy anything any info would help so please be kind and share your knowledge

thanks

Old 03-13-2005 | 01:31 PM
Team Owner

The online help should tell you everything you need to know about that screen.
You should also get some kind if simple investing book. Investing for Dummies?

Here are the basics.

Market- Buy or sell at current price. You don't give a F what that price is. This is probably okay for long term investors in non volitile stocks. The trade will excute almost as fast as you can hit submit, unless your broker sucks. Day traders that use market orders can become bag holders.

Limit- I want to buy this stock but I'm not paying no more than X for it. For instance if the stock is $10 and you want it for $9.50 you put in a limit order for $9.50 and then specify the duration you are willing to wait for that price. If the ask never gets to 9.50 you won't buy it.

Duration- Probably gives options like, day, until canceled, include/exclude after hours. If you put duration day it will cancel at 4pm if the price you wanted was never reached.

Stop- Say you own a stock at $10 but you don't want to lose your a$$ on it. You can put a stop order in at $9. If the stock goes down to $9 the sytem will sell it (at the market price so you may get less than $9). This prevents you from becoming a bag holder.

Bag holder- Dumb ass that should have sold months/years ago. Stock it worth sh!t, thus you are left holding the bag.

Don't be afraid to take a loss. People afraid to take a 10% loss soon find themselves being a bag holder.
Old 03-13-2005 | 04:56 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by doopstr

Bag holder- Dumb ass that should have sold months/years ago. Stock it worth sh!t, thus you are left holding the bag.
More correctly: Somebody who bought without a plan, or failed to follow the plan. Typical mistakes include: not knowing for sure WHY you're buying, not knowing for sure what a good price would be to buy at, not having a target or other method for determining when to sell, or not doing any of the above.

I will never buy anything unless I have a plan for selling. The plan might be static (for example a certain price level or a set percentage gain or loss) or dynamic (for example, breaking a trendline, failing to take out a previous high, etc.)

Generally, good traders have very well defined methodologies, back test them, and have the discipline to follow them even when it means taking a loss.