Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Greenspan Puzzled and Worried About Global Rates

Old 03-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci

You need to take Econ 101 again, Mr. Precious Metals. You are quoting a mutual fund disclaimer, not economic models.

Thank you

But the fundemental fact remains the same, as evidenced by your (incorrect) prediction of a recession due to the yield curve.

And you need to take your own advice, just because the weather is sunny now doesn't mean it will be tomorrow.

But I am not the one predicting the weather, you are.

You keep warning us about the hurricane coming in 05, and then 06, and now 07. So without copying-and-pasting today's Bloomberg article, tell us "Guru", what is the weather going to be like this year, where should we put our money so that one day we too can also live the good life in Detroit?

Because my 05 was pretty good, and I didn't have to convert all my assets to cash like you advised :gheylaugh:

Take deficits for example, your sunny disposition neglects the fact that Dubya has conveniently timed his exit to coincide with an exploding deficit dilemma. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

I think Bush's exit is timed to constitutional limits, not future budgetary issues

My argument is that the near-term deficit situation has vastly improved and is actually below historical norms. Now I know you think you are a "guru" because you are aware of the future issues with Social Security and Medicaid, but I think we are all aware of that.

And before you blame Bush, tell us how he is supposed to single handily reform both of those institutions.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:32 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver™
But the fundemental fact remains the same, as evidenced by your (incorrect) prediction of a recession due to the yield curve.
Don't be so hasty, good things come to those who wait. I certainly never stated as fact that it would happen IMMEDIATELY.

tell us "Guru", what is the weather going to be like this year, where should we put our money so that one day we too can also live the good life in Detroit?
Ah yes, a typical response from our resident condescending asshole.

FYI - suburban living in Motown is pretty much the same as suburban living in any major metropolitan area (weather being the exception), and $550k buys a pretty nice home in an outstanding school district in Motown, what does $550k buy in SoCal? A 1 bedroom shack, no thanks.

And before you blame Bush, tell us how he is supposed to single handily reform both of those institutions.
He and the Republican congress had six golden years to accomplish reformation, instead Dubya chose to fritter away his political capital invading and occupying Iraq.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Don't be so hasty, good things come to those who wait. I certainly never stated as fact that it would happen IMMEDIATELY.

So some time this decade we might have a recession, what a brave prediction on your part Mr. "guru" given the cyclical nature of the economy.

Ah yes, a typical response from our resident condescending asshole.

I haven't taken your title yet

FYI - suburban living in Motown is pretty much the same as suburban living in any major metropolitan area (weather being the exception), and $550k buys a pretty nice home in an outstanding school district in Motown, what does $550k buy in SoCal? A 1 bedroom shack, no thanks.

I wonder why Detroit's population has been cut in half during the last few decades if it is such a utopia.

And it is certainly the new financial capital of south-eastern Michigan

He and the Republican congress had six golden years to accomplish reformation, instead Dubya chose to fritter away his political capital invading and occupying Iraq.

You are so predictable.

Bush (nor any president) controls Congress. And Iraq had nothing to do with SS or Medicare reform. But I know you are a one hit wonder and that is all you can come up with...
Old 03-28-2007, 01:49 PM
I feel the need...

Bush (nor any president) controls Congress. And Iraq had nothing to do with SS or Medicare reform. But I know you are a one hit wonder and that is all you can come up with...

If you feel proud of yourself by maintaining your Dubya apologist stance, by my guest. But he had a great opportunity along w/ a Republican congress for six years to reform our entitlement programs and the fact of the matter is that he and the Republican led congress chose to ladle on more gov't spending.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

If you feel proud of yourself by maintaining your Dubya apologist stance, by my guest. But he had a great opportunity along w/ a Republican congress for six years to reform our entitlement programs and the fact of the matter is that he and the Republican led congress chose to ladle on more gov't spending.

I recall one of the first things Bush tried to do after his reelection was to push SS reform. It went nowhere. As the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water..."

It is just laughable how everything in your little world is due to Bush / Iraq.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:38 PM
I feel the need...

I recall one of the first things Bush tried to do after his reelection was to push SS reform. It went nowhere. As the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water..."

It is just laughable how everything in your little world is due to Bush / Iraq.

And maybe, just maybe if he hadn't been pre-occupied with our invasion and occupation of Iraq - golly gee, he might have had more time and polticial capital to expend touching the third rail of politics. He certainly had enough time to sign in the largest increase to Medicaire costs in the last 20 years.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

And maybe, just maybe if he hadn't been pre-occupied with our invasion and occupation of Iraq - golly gee, he might have had more time and polticial capital to expend touching the third rail of politics. He certainly had enough time to sign in the largest increase to Medicaire costs in the last 20 years.

And if pigs had wings they would fly.

No one in Washington wants to touch the subject of SS and Medicare. It has nothing to do with Bush/Iraq.

But I know you will still stick to your rhetoric that it is all because of Iraq that Congress is afraid of reform
Old 03-28-2007, 02:51 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silver was way off on his bullish housing predictions from back in '05, and Fibonacci was way off in his pessimism on the financial market in 05. Hopefully Silver didnt go out purchasing more homes, and hopefully Fibonacci didnt sit on his cash for the past two years.

So you see, you are both wrong, from time to time
Old 03-28-2007, 03:01 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by fdl

Except, I haven't loaded up on variable rate debt and have negative equity like

And, I'm earning 5.70 on my cash w/ no principle risk.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by fdl
Silver was way off on his bullish housing predictions from back in '05, and Fibonacci was way off in his pessimism on the financial market in 05. Hopefully Silver didnt go out purchasing more homes, and hopefully Fibonacci didnt sit on his cash for the past two years.

I don't think I was being bullish, just realistic

From the first page of the "official housing bubble thread":

I for one don't believe there will be a national bubble that will pop, some regional markets will see a decline, but that happens every year, as a whole real estate is still a safe bet.
It's not like I was the "guru" and recommended everyone liquidate their assets and put it all into real estate...
Old 03-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Except, I haven't loaded up on variable rate debt and have negative equity like

Since I didn't listen to you, my equity is doing quite well.

And, I'm earning 5.70 on my cash w/ no principle risk.

The "guru" got himself a money market account.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:09 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

You guys are being too hard on each other. I think both of your positions are well founded and intelligent, but its impossible to predict this stuff.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:12 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by fdl
You guys are being too hard on each other. I think both of your positions are well founded and intelligent, but its impossible to predict this stuff.

Truth be told, has mad love for teh 'guru'. Don't tell anyone though.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by fdl

I am offended that you put me in the same boat as Fibi

Silver = Some housing markets will decline, but overall real esate is a good investment

Fibi = Sell your assests I read in Bloomberg that the yield curve has inverted so put your money in cash
Old 03-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Truth be told, has mad love for teh 'guru'. Don't tell anyone though.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I feel the need...

Fibi = Sell your assests I read in Bloomberg that the yield curve has inverted so put your money in cash

Liar. I dare you to pull a single quote from me saying sell everything.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:37 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Its all a matter of perspective.

how the heck can a house sell for $7000

http://www.thestar.com/article/195793
Old 03-28-2007, 03:42 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by fdl
how the heck can a house sell for $7000

Very easy. It's called racial tension, white flight, overtaxation, crime, poor management of resources, manufacturing job losses, weak political leadership, yada yada.

Go 20 minutes out of Downtown to Birmingham (or numerous other burbs) and it's just like Forest Hill.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:48 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Seems like the opposite of here though, where its typically alot more expensive to live in the city vs in the burbs.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:48 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

SO do you think that $7000 is a good investment opportunity?
Old 03-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by fdl

Whatever Fibi says, do the opposite and you will be rich

But you would be better off investing in Baghdad real estate. Detroit is a dying city and it is a long ways from turning around.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:21 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
Kind of depends on when you expect a return (long term).
We had some condos here selling for about that same price perhaps 5 years ago. Similar neighborhood but slightly better condition units.

Today they are selling for between $80.000-$100,000 and rent for $550-$600/month. I still don't care for the area but money can be made.

My family had a brownstone in the getto of another midwestern city that sold for $12,000 about 15 years ago. Today, same neighborhood, same bad condition they sell for $300-$500,000. Deep pockets and time can make you rich.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:01 AM
I feel the need...

Whatever Fibi says, do the opposite and you will be rich

But you would be better off investing in Baghdad real estate. Detroit is a dying city and it is a long ways from turning around.

I'm doing quite well, thank you for your concern.

But Detroit is actually on the upturn. The local economy is no doubt depressed because of the domestic auto related meltdown, but Downtown Detroit actually had the largest increase in residential building permits of any community in the metro area last year. Urban living is a growing trend nationally, and no doubt there are some great real estate investment opportunities here - relative value of course.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Go 20 minutes out of Downtown to Birmingham (or numerous other burbs) and it's just like Forest Hill.

The seat of Michigan's wealthiest county is nearly broke, and it's not alone. While budget problems in Detroit and the state are well-known, many suburban communities also find themselves in a financial fight for their lives.

The pain is felt in communities across the state. As a result, they're selling assets, cutting budgets and raising taxes -- assuming weary voters approve them. Parks, libraries, sewers and sidewalks are among the most common cuts, but such sacred cows as public safety also have been hit. Michigan communities large and small have cut an estimated 1,600 police officers and 400 firefighters since 2001.

Gov. Jennifer Granholm has vowed to continue sharing sales tax revenues with local governments and to offer incentives to cities that share services. But the Michigan Senate voted Thursday to reduce revenue sharing by 10% -- $40 million -- and some officials worry that as lawmakers and Granholm negotiate, the state will agree to the cuts to balance its own budget.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...03250603&imw=Y
Old 03-29-2007, 03:47 PM
I feel the need...

The seat of Michigan's wealthiest county is nearly broke, and it's not alone. While budget problems in Detroit and the state are well-known, many suburban communities also find themselves in a financial fight for their lives.

The pain is felt in communities across the state.

As much as you enjoy 'winning' the debate. Funding problems are not unique to Michigan. Look in the mirror clownface.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

As much as you enjoy 'winning' the debate.

It actually isn't very much fun with you since I always "win"

Funding problems are not unique to Michigan. Look in the mirror clownface.

So which other states have had to cuts thousands of police and fire jobs (a move of last resort)?
Old 01-10-2008, 04:49 PM
I feel the need...

Greenspan's Reputation at Risk as Recession Odds Grow

By Rich Miller Jan. 10 (Bloomberg) --

The next bubble to deflate may be Alan Greenspan's reputation.

Hailed as perhaps the greatest central banker who ever lived when he left the Federal Reserve in 2006, Greenspan is under attack from critics ranging from the New York Times to economists at the American Enterprise Institute for his handling of the 2000-2005 housing boom. The former Fed chairman has taken to the media to defend himself, writing in the Wall Street Journal and appearing on network television.

``He's had a bubble reputation that derived from the growth of U.S. household wealth,'' said Edward Chancellor, author of ``Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation.'' ``As that goes down, his standing as a superstar will suffer.''

At stake is not only Greenspan's legacy but also the future of policies he espoused during 18-1/2 years atop the central bank. Critics blame his aversion to regulation and reluctance to use interest rates to puncture asset bubbles for the boom in mortgage lending and house prices that has since gone bust, threatening to throw the economy into recession.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aAmI1nLEjiEU
Old 02-16-2008, 12:50 PM
I feel the need...

Everything Isn't Going to Be O.K.

In Greenspan's Bubbles: The Age of Ignorance at the Federal Reserve, William A. Fleckenstein takes tough shots at the former Fed chairman. The hedge fund manager and writer of the online column Contrarian Chronicles studied transcripts of Fed meetings and Greenspan's congressional testimony, and tracked the market's moves. That is the basis for the critique he co-authored with Frederick Sheehan, published by a unit of McGraw-Hill (MHP), BusinessWeek's corporate parent. Contributing editor Christopher Farrell asked Fleckenstein how investors will fare during Ben Bernanke's regime.
Chapter headings like "How Wrong Can One Man Be?" make your opinion of Greenspan clear. What about Bernanke?

Bernanke is just a pure academic. He was almost predestined to be in over his head. When I looked at what he was saying on the Federal Open Market Committee, before he became chairman, it was clear he didn't understand what was going on. But then he was handed the big real estate bubble as chairman. He was doomed.

Many people believed Greenspan could be relied on to cut rates and bail out the financial markets when they ran into trouble. Is that the case with Bernanke?

I think the Bernanke Fed wanted to free itself from that at first. But it caved in pretty quickly. The belief is that the Fed can't let the stock market trade down. In the Greenspan era, markets could go up as much as they wanted, but they couldn't go down.... There was no penalty for taking excess risks.

Given your views on the Fed, what should an investor do?

A lot of investors think everything will be O.K. They don't understand how shaky an edifice has been created. I don't think it's possible for the Fed to solve the unwinding of credit. It's going to get worse... This is a moment to take less risk. To race into stocks because they're down 20% from their highs—I don't think so.

The product investors should load up on is cash. You put yourself in a position to take advantage of things when the risk has been squeezed out. You might lose a little, but you put yourself in a position to win big. Let's say you get a 3% return on cash, and inflation is running 5%. But [eventually] say I can find stocks down 30% to 60%, and in two years they'll double in value.

What about betting against the dollar?

For the past four to five years, I have owned several foreign currencies. I have a core position in precious metals. You have to have a hedge against the markets' going bad.... My favorite [currency] at the moment is the Canadian dollar. They have a budget surplus, a balance-of-payments surplus, all the resources the world wants. I'm not sure I'd buy it at 99 cents to the U.S. dollar, but I feel more comfortable holding Canadian dollars than U.S. dollars.

Gold has a place in a portfolio as downside insurance. It's around $900 an ounce, up threefold in a few years. That price is a product of what the Fed has done. The Fed will print money no matter what, until the foreign currency market and the bond market say, "No more."

You've said inflation is springing up all over. So how about inflation-indexed bonds?

They're indexed to the Consumer Price Index, and the CPI is a cheat in the way it's calculated. Sometime in the next five years the bond market will price in a more accurate calculation of inflation. We'll see attractive rates then.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...tm?chan=search
Old 03-06-2008, 05:14 PM
I feel the need...

Bernanke's 'Principal'

We've seen some puzzlers over the years, but we'll admit we never expected to see a Federal Reserve Chairman talking down the capital cushion of the nation's banking system.

But there it was on Tuesday, the equivalent of a CEO shorting his own stock, as Ben Bernanke encouraged the nation's bankers to write down the principal on millions of mortgage loans. Voluntary loan modifications aren't doing enough to stop foreclosures, declared the chief steward of the U.S. financial system. "In this environment," he said, "principal reductions that restore some equity for the homeowner may be a relatively more effective means of avoiding delinquency and foreclosure."

Mull over that one for a moment. Mr. Bernanke and the Fed are charged with protecting the soundness of the banking system. The bulwark of such protection is shareholder equity -- capital -- which is generated in part by income-producing assets known as loans. Yet the Fed chief has now advised that, as a matter of public policy, banks should take a chunk of that capital and transfer it to mortgage debtors. How this additional charge -- and new political risk -- against bank earnings will ease the mistrust at the heart of the current credit crisis is a mystery.....
.....The worst irony here is that the mortgage crisis is in large part the fault of the Fed's own reckless monetary policy. Low real interest rates for too long created a subsidy for debt that spurred the housing and credit bubbles that have now burst. Prices got higher than they should have been, and the first step in any recovery is letting those now-falling prices find a new bottom. Government interference in that price discovery will only prolong the crisis, increasing the chances that the losses are eventually dumped onto taxpayers.....
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120476526708415169.html
Old 03-10-2008, 06:58 PM
I feel the need...

John Galt Plan Might Save U.S. Financial System

Commentary by Caroline Baum March 10 (Bloomberg) --

Let's face it: The Federal Reserve must be scared to death as it watches the financial system unravel.

Unravel would appear to be the operative word as leverage proves to be as toxic on the way down as it was intoxicating on the way up.

By late last week, events seemed to be spinning out of control. Credit spreads were blowing out, with tax-exempt municipal bonds out-yielding Treasuries by a record and the spread between Fannie Mae mortgage-backed securities and government bonds hitting a 22-year high. Treasury bill yields were collapsing (further). The U.S. dollar was sinking like a stone. And commodity prices, in their lofty ascent, had all the makings of a market unhinged from the fundamentals, which, after all, is the definition of a bubble.

Mortgage foreclosures hit an all-time high in the fourth quarter of last year while homeowners' equity, or the value of a home less the outstanding mortgage, sank to an all-time low of 47.9 percent.

This measure of owners' equity has been declining since the Fed started collecting data in 1945. (This isn't your father's housing market.) More unusual was the drop in the value of household real estate in the fourth quarter, one of a handful of declines in the half-century life of the series.

Margin calls are causing forced selling of assets (often what investors can sell, not what they'd like to sell), which makes them cheaper, which triggers additional margin calls and more forced selling. No wonder the Fed announced two initiatives early Friday before the New York Stock Exchange opened to address ``heightened liquidity pressures.''

Temporarily Permanent

The Fed said it was increasing the amount banks could borrow at the Term Auction Facility (TAF) to $100 billion this month compared with $60 billion in January and February. ``The Federal Reserve will increase these auction sizes further if conditions warrant,'' the central bank said in its press release.

In addition, the Fed will make $100 billion available through term repurchase agreements, collateralized loans to Wall Street primary dealers.

Fifteen minutes after the Fed's announcement, the Labor Department reminded us that the economy's problems aren't strictly financial. Non-farm payrolls fell 63,000 in February, following a revised 22,000 drop in January. Employment has always been the most visible, and perhaps the most important, of coincident economic indicators. Your average Joe doesn't know, and probably doesn't care, if industrial production is expanding or contracting in any given month.

Waiting for a Plan

Jobs are a different story. Statistically there isn't much difference between a decline of 63,000 and a similar-sized increase. It's the sign, and the trend, that matter. Private payrolls fell 101,000 last month, the third consecutive monthly decline.

What is to be done? The Fed has lowered its benchmark rate by 225 basis points since September, with another 75 basis points expected on March 18, based on the prices of fed funds futures. It introduced, and now enhanced, the TAF to address liquidity needs.

President George W. Bush and Congress worked together to pass a $168 billion fiscal stimulus package, including tax rebates for savings-short households and tax breaks for business. The pace of mortgage delinquencies and foreclosures is outpacing Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson's ability to keep up with them.

Paulson said last week that the administration was looking at the mortgage-origination and securitization process, disclosure, regulatory and capital issues, and the rating companies. We can expect new proposals ``in the weeks ahead,'' he said.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=avFnuh9oWHVo

Galt's Solution
Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 PM
I feel the need...

Bernanke Plays `Whac-A-Mole' With Turmoil in Markets

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke may be facing something worse than a loss of personal credibility on Wall Street and in Washington: waning faith in the ability of the institution he leads to turn around the economy and the financial markets anytime soon.

Bernanke has reached deep into the Fed's toolkit to come up with innovative ways to head off a recession and restore some calm in credit markets. While many have initially been greeted with rallies in stocks, cumulatively they haven't yet had lasting impact on bringing down credit costs and setting the stage for economic recovery.

``The Fed has been playing the equivalent of Whac-A-Mole as financial turmoil keeps cropping up in new and unexpected places,'' says former Fed Vice Chairman Alan Blinder, referring to the arcade game where players try to hammer down plastic critters that randomly pop out of holes. ``Yet many of the problems facing us are beyond its reach.....''
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aLKjRvxDFICQ
Old 03-19-2008, 07:01 PM
I feel the need...

What went wrong

In our special briefing, we look at how near Wall Street came to systemic collapse this week—and how the financial system will change as a result. We start with how financiers—and their critics—have laboured under a delusion

.....The financial industry is likely to stagnate or shrink in the next few years. That is partly because the last phase of its growth was founded on unsustainable leverage, and partly because the value of the underlying equities and bonds is unlikely to grow as it did in the 1980s and 1990s. If finance is foolishly reregulated, it will fare even worse.

And what of all the clever and misused wizardry of modern finance? Mr Greenspan was half right. Financial engineering can indeed spread risk and help the system work better. Like junk bonds, reviled at the end of 1980s, securitisation will rebound, tamed and better understood—and smaller. That is financial progress. It is a pity that it comes at such a cost.
http://www.economist.com/displayStor...src=nwlptwfree
Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 PM
I feel the need...

Taleb Outsells Greenspan as Black Swan Gives Worst Turbulence

On a freezing day in March 2007, Nassim Taleb walked into a conference room at Morgan Stanley's Manhattan offices on 47th Street and Broadway to address a group of the firm's risk managers. His message: Your models don't work.

Using a whiteboard to scribble out his calculations, Taleb, now 48, began one of his rants, this time against stress tests -- Wall Street lingo for examining how a market rout will play out. Stress tests are inherently risky because they ignore rare but potentially devastating events, Taleb said.

``Past shortfall doesn't predict future shortfall,'' the options trader turned best-selling author recalls telling the assembled group of about 40. The risk managers, part of a tribe of mathematical model makers known in the finance world as quants, stared back at him blankly, and a debate ensued, according to people who were there.

Only six months later, Morgan Stanley experienced its own rout. The world's second-biggest mergers adviser announced in December that it had written down its subprime-related holdings by $9.4 billion after the firm's traders misjudged how fast and far prices of the debt would fall. Their risk management had failed.

The Lebanese-born Taleb, a balding man who labels himself a philosopher of randomness, has an eerie knack for timing things right. His most recent book, ``The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable'' (Random House), came out in May 2007, just months before the subprime fiasco rocked global markets and led banks to announce at least $208 billion worth of writedowns. The book's message offered something of a preview of the crisis: that we're all blind to rare events and routinely fool ourselves into believing we can predict risks and rewards.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aHfkhe8.C._8
Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 PM
I feel the need...

Volcker Stands Tall, Greenspan Keeps Shrinking

Former Federal Reserve Chairmen Paul Volcker and Alan Greenspan present an interesting study in contrasts.

Volcker is tall; Greenspan isn't. Volcker is a man of few words; Greenspan won't shut up. Volcker retired as Fed chair and avoided the limelight; Greenspan is doing everything possible to make sure the light shines on him.

The problem for Greenspan is that the spotlight on him is also illuminating detritus on the economy's shoreline now that the tide of easy money has gone out. (Wait, easy money is back!) Greenspan's curriculum vitae includes two asset bubbles (one in Internet and technology stocks in the late 1990s, another in residential real estate), a pair of banking crises, a boatload of fraudulent lending he chose to ignore, and a household savings rate of zero.

What really separates the two men, however, is the legacy issue. Volcker is content to let his record speak for itself: He inherited inflation of almost 15 percent and bequeathed a rate of 4 percent to posterity. It took two recessions to get there, but he did the heavy lifting on inflation.

Greenspan is desperate to deflect the blame for a credit crisis he called ``the most wrenching'' in 50 years. He can write his autobiography, which he did last year, but he can't write his epitaph. We, the public, will do that.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a1MJS6KbpTbk
Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 PM
I feel the need...

What Warren thinks...

I see I struck a nerve, perhaps you could elaborate on how I am wrong Mr. Guru.

Still waiting for the housing bubble to pop and the global depression to begin.

Based upon what was known in 2003 I was right about Iraq

What about deficits, the fact that they are declining in recent years.

You know, I always say you should get greedy when others are fearful and fearful when others are greedy. But that's too much to expect. Of course, you shouldn't get greedy when others get greedy and fearful when others get fearful. At a minimum, try to stay away from that.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:33 PM
I feel the need...

Treasuries' Worst Performance Since 2004 Makes Rebound Unlikely

The biggest bear market in Treasuries since 2004 may get worse.

Unlike four years ago, when Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan embarked on 17 consecutive interest-rate increases to contain the threat of rising consumer prices, his successor Ben S. Bernanke is giving investors few assurances that the scourge of inflation will abate anytime soon.

``The Treasury market going forward is more an inflation story,'' said Colin Lundgren, head of institutional fixed income for RiverSource Institutional Advisors in Minneapolis, which manages $100 billion in bonds. RiverSource is reducing Treasuries in favor of securities backed by commercial mortgages and investment-grade corporate debt, he said.

Investors have lost 2.88 percent on average since March, including reinvested interest, according to Merrill Lynch & Co.'s Treasury Master Index. That's the worst performance since the second quarter of 2004, when they tumbled 3.1 percent.

Based on past years when the Fed, like now, was grappling with faster inflation and concern about turmoil in credit markets was starting to ease, investors might not enjoy a rebound.

In the second halves of 1994 and 1999, U.S. government debt returned less than 1 percent. In the first case the Fed increased interest rates in response to inflation threats, while in 1999 the collapse of hedge fund Long-Term Capital Management LP the year before failed to bring down the economy.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...zGE&refer=home
Old 07-08-2008, 04:57 PM
I feel the need...

Treasury Bear Market to Worsen Under Bernanke's Fed

The biggest bear market in Treasuries since 2004 may get worse.

Unlike four years ago, when Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan embarked on 17 consecutive interest-rate increases to contain the threat of rising consumer prices, his successor Ben S. Bernanke is giving investors few assurances that the scourge of inflation will abate anytime soon.

``The Treasury market going forward is more an inflation story,'' said Colin Lundgren, head of institutional fixed income for RiverSource Institutional Advisors in Minneapolis, which manages $100 billion in bonds. RiverSource is reducing Treasuries in favor of securities backed by commercial mortgages and investment-grade corporate debt, he said.

Investors have lost 2.2 percent on average since March, including reinvested interest, according to Merrill Lynch & Co.'s Treasury Master Index. That's the worst performance since the second quarter of 2004, when they tumbled 3.1 percent.

Based on past years when the Fed, like now, was grappling with faster inflation and concern about turmoil in credit markets was starting to ease, investors might not enjoy a rebound.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aGNjzMuSpgys
Old 08-07-2008, 08:24 PM
I feel the need...

Fed won't get us out of this mess

It actually isn't very much fun with you since I always "win"

Analysis: Many prominent economists are looking elsewhere for solutions
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Cable business channels can turn off their countdown clocks of the timing of interest rate announcements, the 30-word statements on monetary policy can gather dust on the shelf: it is clear that the Federal Reserve is not going to pull the economy out of this rut.

"Interest rates didn't get us into this mess and they are not going to get us out of it," said Robert Brusca, chief economist at FAO Economics. Leaving aside what caused this downturn -- or recession if you like -- it certainly wasn't caused by a central bank worried about inflation.

And lower rates are not going to turn the economy around.
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...%7D&dist=msr_2
Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I feel the need...

Mission creep at the Fed

In a special section marking the anniversary of the credit crunch, we start with the Federal Reserve. Its creative response to the crisis may have staved off catastrophe, but may also have put its independence at risk

WHEN he was still in academia, Ben Bernanke once argued that Franklin Roosevelt’s greatest contribution to ending the Great Depression was not a specific policy, but his “willingness to be aggressive and to experiment…to do whatever it took to get the country moving again.” That would fairly describe how Mr Bernanke has battled perhaps the biggest financial crisis since FDR’s time, which erupted one year ago this week.

The chairman of the Federal Reserve has cast aside any notion that central bankers should be boring. He has slashed interest rates; rolled out a dizzying array of new lending programmes; backed the debt of Bear Stearns, a failing investment bank; agreed to lend to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, America’s troubled, quasi-private mortgage agencies; argued for fiscal stimulus and mortgage write-downs; and proposed an expansion of the Fed’s regulatory domain.

The Fed did not seek its bigger role, but acted because no one else could. Mr Bernanke is now consumed with responsibilities he never imagined when he became chairman in early 2006. Since the crisis broke, he has been at his desk seven days a week, fuelled by cans of Diet Dr Pepper from a small refrigerator in his office. Even if his aggression and experimentation do not prevent a recession, they have softened the impact of falling house prices, rising default rates and the credit squeeze on America’s economy. But they have also created new political risks for the Fed......
http://www.economist.com/finance/dis...src=nwlptwfree
Old 09-05-2008, 03:57 PM
I feel the need...

Greenspan: Fed is not a ‘magical piggy bank’

Former Fed chief says government needs clear process of handling bailouts

Troubled by the Bear Stearns debacle, former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan is advocating a new way of dealing with government bailouts of companies whose sudden collapse could wreak havoc on the country's economic and financial stability.

Greenspan says Congress needs to give the government new powers to handle troubled companies to minimize any potential losses to American taxpayers. A self-described libertarian Republican, Greenspan has a reputation for being wary of giving the government extra powers. However, in crisis situations, there needs to be a clear process for handling bailouts, rather than depending on the Fed to do so, he reckons.

A high-level panel of financial officials should be given broad authority to quickly determine whether a failing company poses a sufficient threat to the entire U.S. economy, he recommends. If so, the company would be shut down.....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26545820/

Quick Reply: Greenspan Puzzled and Worried About Global Rates