Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Got my Social Security Statement

Old 01-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
Got my Social Security Statement

The thing I find that's funny (other than the fact that SS probably won't be around when I retire) is that if I work to age 62, I'll get $1423/mo in benefits.

However, if I "become disabled right now" (emphasis added), I'll get $1760/mo in benefits.

Is it any wonder so many people scam the hell out of our government?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:25 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The system is in a state of disrepair to say the least, I am truly thankful I no longer have to pay into it. I won't be eligible to collect when I am of age or if I become disabled but at least I don't have to watch my money get washed away in more government waste, what I've paid in so far is all there getting from me and I look at it as a donation.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anachostic
The thing I find that's funny (other than the fact that SS probably won't be around when I retire) is that if I work to age 62, I'll get $1423/mo in benefits.

However, if I "become disabled right now" (emphasis added), I'll get $1760/mo in benefits.

Is it any wonder so many people scam the hell out of our government?
Shouldn't you be planning for SS to be supplemental income beginning at the age of 65, 67 or 70? Your monthly would be much higher in that case.

IMHO, your disability payout should be higher than your retirement payout simply because your savings (401k or equivalent) would be much lower, your life expectancy much higher (i.e. need for $$), and your earning power severely limited. I know I wouldn't scam the government for $1700 a month when it would prevent me from earning much more if I was working and not trying to convince everyone I was injured!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I need to get disabled

Does mental incompetence count ??
Old 01-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DelawareCLS
Shouldn't you be planning for SS to be supplemental income beginning at the age of 65, 67 or 70? Your monthly would be much higher in that case.
I'm planning that SS won't be around and am saving accordingly. My only regret is that I can't take the money I'm putting in SS now and put it in an investment of my own. But I guess that defeats the purpose of SS: the workers of today support the workers of yesterday.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I need to get disabled
I don't think most of us can afford to get disabled and try to live on $1800 gov't disability per month, esp. in urban areas of the West and East Coast.

That's why I bought private disability insurance... which covers mental disability, but only if it prevents one from working and developed after the policy took effect, which means I'm stuck working for now.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,085 Likes on 1,157 Posts
Originally Posted by iTimmy
The system is in a state of disrepair to say the least, I am truly thankful I no longer have to pay into it. I won't be eligible to collect when I am of age or if I become disabled but at least I don't have to watch my money get washed away in more government waste, what I've paid in so far is all there getting from me and I look at it as a donation.
How do you avoid paying into it?
Old 01-05-2008, 08:54 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by doopstr
No more income Well I have capital gains, but that does not get the SS taxed.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:28 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
Work for a city government. San Jose, CA. Does not pay into SS. There is a separate retirement account that city worker contribute to which is managed by ING.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm planning that SS won't be around and am saving accordingly. My only regret is that I can't take the money I'm putting in SS now and put it in an investment of my own. But I guess that defeats the purpose of SS: the workers of today support the workers of yesterday.

How old are you? I'm 35 and expect it to be there when I retire - true it's running thin, but current estimates are there it'll be there in full for some time yet. I don't mind paying to support the workers of yesterday, in a large part due to the fact that they didn't have investment vehicles like 401ks back then. If we weren't paying for it through SS, we'd bear the burden somewhere else
Old 01-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Safety Car

I'm 37 (rounding up a month) and rather pessimistic. "Some time" is kind of vague. I can't recall the exact wording, but even the SS Statement says that something has to be done or else SS will be taking in 71 cents for every dollar going out. I can't remember the exact dates.

Doesn't anyone else get these statements? I thought everyone did.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:43 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

I'm 37 (rounding up a month) and rather pessimistic. "Some time" is kind of vague. I can't recall the exact wording, but even the SS Statement says that something has to be done or else SS will be taking in 71 cents for every dollar going out. I can't remember the exact dates.

Doesn't anyone else get these statements? I thought everyone did.
As it stands now, or so I've been told(please correct me if I am mistaken), currently your only looking at $0.85 per dollar invested - leave it to the government to lose that much money invested over a long period of time. There is hope, but it will take drastic government reform and some short term set backs, both of which I'm not sure the American public could handle.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I called them & stopped getting the statements in the mail. That was just dumb. Invites identity theft.
I didn't sign up for them, I don't want them.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:46 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you're really close to retiring, you're best hedge is to assume it won't be there and adjust your financial plan based on that. If it's there come time, the extra income is icing on the cake.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:09 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by special-ed
Unless you're really close to retiring, you're best hedge is to assume it won't be there and adjust your financial plan based on that. If it's there come time, the extra income is icing on the cake.
By the way, for your safety and mine:

Disclosure: I am a FINRA Securities Registered Rep and Investment advisor. I will not be held liable for advice taken as a result of my postings on the Acurazine Forum.

Please consult your CPA or Tax Advisor regarding any Tax Issues. For further Financial Planning assistance, please consult your Financial Advisor. If you'd like assistance, please feel free to PM me so I may follow up with you via work in a more professional and secure manner.