Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Getting Taxed on Last years stimulus check?

Old 01-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
^that sucks. Bunch of bastards. I hope they return the favor to citizens when they can't afford to pay.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:12 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by spdy0001
You are a special case because of your business

For the average taxpayer like myself paying someone to do your taxes is a huge waste of money. I realized this one year when someone convinced me to go to their tax person so that I could get more money back. Hell I paid that tax person more than they extra little bit they got me so in the end I lost

For me I sit at my computer with H&R block's free software and in about an hour im done. No need to make an appointment and carry all my papers to some person who will likely use the same kind of software.
Do your taxes on H&R block to the end but don't file. Then do your taxes on TurboTax all the way to the end. I think you might never use H&R block again. I did that a few years ago. Turbotax got me $300 more with the same info. Been doing them on there ever since.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Anyone else in Cali hear about the bullshit about possibly getting an IOU instead of an actual refund check this year
Yep! All because those idiots in Sacramento can't get their shit together! They need to lock these morons in a room and not let them out until they resolve the budget issues.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone else in Cali hear about the bullshit about possibly getting an IOU instead of an actual refund check this year
Damn, that's ridiculous, especially for people expecting a refund to make ends meet.

From MSNBC:

Even without a deficit resolution, issuing IOUs is not the only option for tax refunds. The state could simply delay payment. Under the law, it has until May 30, Jordan said.

In 1992, banks honored the state's IOUs, cashing them on demand, and then receiving an additional 5% from the state when it made good on the obligations. In effect, the IOUs served the state as unsecured bridge loans from banks. But this time around, with credit tight and banks still feeling the impact of the fall meltdown in the financial services industry, it is not yet clear how banks will respond.

"Nobody's making any decision whether 'Bank X' will take the IOUs as money or not," said Brian Tobin, a Culver City based tax preparer. At the request of NBC Los Angeles, Tobin reviewed a copy of Chiang's letter. Tobin noted that in past years, California's Franchise Tax Board has processed electronic refunds in as short a period as a week. This raises the possibility that taxpayers with simple returns who file as soon as possible after New Year's may be able to receive refunds before the proposed February start date for issuing IOUs.

Those who could be most affected are taxpayers who routinely plan for large refunds as a means of saving for anticipated expenses, such as property taxes which are also due in April. But with notice coming at year's end, there is not time for those taxpayers to adjust their withholding or take other steps to try to capture their return in advance from the state's coffers. "They've got their money taken out of your paycheck. That's it," Tobin said.

One final irony, Tobin sees: electronic deposit refunds are inexpensive to do. Instead sending out IOUs is a more costly procedure for a state looking to save money.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,850 Likes on 2,588 Posts
Originally Posted by jas5lf
Damn, that's ridiculous, especially for people expecting a refund to make ends meet.

From MSNBC:

Even without a deficit resolution, issuing IOUs is not the only option for tax refunds. The state could simply delay payment. Under the law, it has until May 30, Jordan said.

In 1992, banks honored the state's IOUs, cashing them on demand, and then receiving an additional 5% from the state when it made good on the obligations. In effect, the IOUs served the state as unsecured bridge loans from banks. But this time around, with credit tight and banks still feeling the impact of the fall meltdown in the financial services industry, it is not yet clear how banks will respond.

"Nobody's making any decision whether 'Bank X' will take the IOUs as money or not," said Brian Tobin, a Culver City based tax preparer. At the request of NBC Los Angeles, Tobin reviewed a copy of Chiang's letter. Tobin noted that in past years, California's Franchise Tax Board has processed electronic refunds in as short a period as a week. This raises the possibility that taxpayers with simple returns who file as soon as possible after New Year's may be able to receive refunds before the proposed February start date for issuing IOUs.

Those who could be most affected are taxpayers who routinely plan for large refunds as a means of saving for anticipated expenses, such as property taxes which are also due in April. But with notice coming at year's end, there is not time for those taxpayers to adjust their withholding or take other steps to try to capture their return in advance from the state's coffers. "They've got their money taken out of your paycheck. That's it," Tobin said.

One final irony, Tobin sees: electronic deposit refunds are inexpensive to do. Instead sending out IOUs is a more costly procedure for a state looking to save money.
Yeah...its pretty fucked because I get A LOT of W2 forms and a couple 1099s...and so I usually have no choice by to wait for feb to file.

fucking obscene.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:28 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Fuck that. I should give them an IOU for my state taxes
Old 01-09-2009, 10:32 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,850 Likes on 2,588 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
Fuck that. I should give them an IOU for my state taxes
Old 01-09-2009, 10:48 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
I don't even want to know what I'm going to owe this year. It's too early in the year for that for me to think about...
Old 01-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

You are a special case because of your business

For the average taxpayer like myself paying someone to do your taxes is a huge waste of money. I realized this one year when someone convinced me to go to their tax person so that I could get more money back. Hell I paid that tax person more than they extra little bit they got me so in the end I lost

For me I sit at my computer with H&R block's free software and in about an hour im done. No need to make an appointment and carry all my papers to some person who will likely use the same kind of software.
I've always paid someone... even when I lived home and had basic taxes. Back then it cost me maybe $50 to get it done. Down here, before we had our businesses we had our personal returns done and they cost around $100. I'd still rather pay $100 to someone who knows what they're doing then relying on me and a software package.

Plus, our accountant knows all the tricks... and can get us much more of a refund then TurboTax or any of those software packages can.

But yes, now with the businesses, we have to use an accountant.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:09 PM
None

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone figured the solution for this?
using taxslayer, im still getting $600 substracted(because it asks if I have received one and enter the amount) from what I would originally get if I didnt get this economic stimulus check...
Old 01-28-2009, 12:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by adlx21
has anyone figured the solution for this?
using taxslayer, im still getting $600 substracted(because it asks if I have received one and enter the amount) from what I would originally get if I didnt get this economic stimulus check...
Check the other thread you started. I explained your lack of reading comprehension. To break it down, your tax rebate will be $600 higher if you did NOT get the rebate check last year. You get two bites at the apple. If you did get it, your taxes will be exactly the same as they would normally be.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 AM
None

so for those who put 'did not receive rebate', the program will add $600 onto your refund?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Shit like that doesnt happen in Texas. You poor bastards.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:36 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by combat mediC
Shit like that doesnt happen in Texas. You poor bastards.
I'll still take CA
Old 01-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Kang Ho

Possible iou for tax refund huh. Now that's some
Old 01-28-2009, 07:45 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SupaRookie
Possible iou for tax refund huh. Now that's some
My future father in law is a CPA and said that the stimulus check doesn't effect your 2008 taxes
Old 02-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My future father in law is a CPA and said that the stimulus check doesn't effect your 2008 taxes
+1

Too much misunderstanding going on here.

I work for the CPA firm. Although I am involved with audit side of the business, I am no tax dummy. The stimulus check has no impact on your 2008 return. I saw the turbo tax question and it is designed to determine whether you can claim additional tax credit based on the amount of stimulus payment you received. The stimulus payment was estimated on your 2007 return and if you had any life changing events like having a kid or two... the program will determine the additional stimulus credit you will receive.

For example, you and your spouse received $1,200 during 2008, but you ended up having a set of twin girls during 2008. Based on how many dependents you claimed on the return, the program will calculate what you should've been entitled to for 2008 and add an additional stimulus credit to your return. This bumps up your tax credit which is used to offset your tax liability. In my example, you would receive an additional tax credit of $600 ($300 per kid), which would decrease your tax liability by $600 and increasing you return by $600...

Again, YOU ARE NOT TAXED ON THIS.