Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Fed slashes rates to 3.5%

Old 01-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
wow if the rate gets below 3% you guys should all be refi your mortgages.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver™
The Federal Reserve may push interest rates below the pace of inflation this year to avert the first simultaneous decline in U.S. household wealth and household income since 1974, some economists and banking analysts say.

Traders and economists are forecasting that the threat of cascading stock and home values and a weakening labor market will spur the Fed to cut its benchmark rate by another half a percentage point Wednesday, after its emergency cut of three-quarters of a percentage point last week.

That would put the overnight federal funds rate, the central bank's controlling rate for loans to the banking system, to 3 percent, approaching one measure of price inflation monitored by the Fed.

"The Fed is going to have to keep slashing rates, probably below inflation," said Robert Shiller, the Yale University economist who co-founded an index of house prices. "We are starting to see a change in consumer psychology."

Adopting interest rates that are below the rate of consumer price increases, so-called negative real interest rates, would represent an emergency strategy by the Fed chairman, Ben Bernanke, and would be risky. The central bank would be skewing incentives toward spending, away from saving. That pattern typically leads to asset booms and busts that have to be dealt with later.

Negative real rates are "a substantial danger zone to be in," said Marvin Goodfriend, a former senior policy adviser at the Richmond Fed bank. "The Fed's mistakes have been erring too much on the side of ease, creating circumstances where you had either excessive inflation, or a situation where there is an excessive boom that goes on too long."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/29/business/fed.php

translation? what does this mean?
Old 01-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamNJ
start spending money cause you're not going to get much interest from leaving it in the bank.

I anticipate saying this in about a year or so:
stop spending money cause you'll earn a lot of interest leaving it in the bank.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamNJ

In 20 years we will either look back at Bernanke as a genius or an idiot
Old 01-29-2008, 05:44 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts

It won't take that long to recognize... Based on the inversion of the two year to fed funds since Jun 06 - Uncle Ben has been behind the curve for quite some time.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:35 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Isn't that what some people say about Dubya too? :wink:
Old 01-30-2008, 01:30 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Another 0.50% cut:

Fed Cuts Interest Rates by 1/2 Point
Wednesday January 30, 2:25 pm ET
By Martin Crutsinger, AP Economics Writer
Federal Reserve Reduces Federal Funds Rate by 1/2 Point to 3 Percent

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Federal Reserve on Wednesday cut a key interest rate for the second time in just over a week, reducing the federal funds rate by a half point. It signaled that further rate cuts were possible.

The Fed action pushed the funds rate to 3 percent. It followed a three-fourths of a percentage point cut on Jan. 22, a day after financial markets around the world had plummeted on fears that the U.S. economy was heading into a recession. That decrease had been the biggest one-day move in more than two decades.

The half-point cut Wednesday followed news that the economy had slowed significantly in the final three months of last year with the gross domestic product expanding at a barely discernible pace of 0.6 percent, less than half what had been expected. The report came amid increased concern from several quarters about a possible recession.

In a brief statement explaining their decision, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues said that "financial markets remain under considerable stress."

The Fed move was approved on a 9 to 1 vote. Richard Fisher, president of the Fed's Dallas regional bank, dissented, preferring no change in rates.

The rate cut marked the fifth time that the Fed has cut the funds rate since it started with a half-point cut on Sept. 18 in response to the severe credit crisis which hit global markets in August.

The latest Fed action was expected to be quickly followed by cuts in banks' prime lending rate, the benchmark rate for millions of consumer and business loans. The Fed's hope is that by making credit cheaper, it will encourage more borrowing, giving the economy a needed boost.

The Fed's half-point move met expectations of financial markets and was a bolder move than the smaller quarter-point cut that many economists had been expecting.
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080130/fed_interest_rates.html
Old 01-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^dang, opening the money flood-gates...

Well guys there's more paper money out there, but theres nothing backing it. So the price of everything is going to go up. You need more dollars to compensate fro its falling value...

People just don't this, it's a trade off. Yeah lower interest rate but prices rise..

The solution at this point is precious metals (GOLD)..
Old 01-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by halfaznguy87
^dang, opening the money flood-gates...

Well guys there's more paper money out there, but theres nothing backing it. So the price of everything is going to go up. You need more dollars to compensate fro its falling value...

People just don't this, it's a trade off. Yeah lower interest rate but prices rise..

The solution at this point is precious metals (GOLD)..
FIAT money

Looks like you guys shoulda bought the Euro months ago
Old 02-01-2008, 03:51 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by halfaznguy87
^dang, opening the inflation flood-gates...
fixed!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:52 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by The Dougler
FIAT money

Looks like you guys shoulda bought the Euro months ago

Old 02-08-2008, 05:12 AM
trees grow in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's about to get cut by another .50 soon.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:48 PM
You want me to break it?

Here's a question. We're gonna be in our house another 15 or so years (get the kids through high school). When we bought our house it barely qualified as a jumbo loan which means we got higher interest rate basically. Now the governement has significantly increased the dollar amount for what qualifies as a jumbo loan AND dropped interest rates. I'm assuming now would be as good of a time as any to refinance since we'd be getting the benefit of lower rates on top of no longer being a jumbo?

If it matters, we bought the house 12 months ago. $430,000.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:58 AM

G - I don't think the Conforming limits have changed yet. They are part of the Stimulus Package that Bush should be signing next week, but I don't know exactly when that part of it will take effect.

What rate do you have now? Conforming rates are anywhere between 5.5-6%, depending on the lender and with no points. So, it might be worth while to refi after the stimulus package is official and the conforming limits are increased. Also, I'm not sure if the increase applies everywhere or just certain areas.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:20 AM
You want me to break it?

I think we're at 6.6% or so. The new definition of jumbo loan is set to take effect in areas with high market value - not sure if North Dallas qualifies for that. I suppose it was intended for places like California, but I might get lucky. Regardless, with the time frame we're looking at refinancing seems to make sense - might even buy a point or so.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought it only affected short term adjustable rates?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gpump
I think we're at 6.6% or so. The new definition of jumbo loan is set to take effect in areas with high market value - not sure if North Dallas qualifies for that. I suppose it was intended for places like California, but I might get lucky. Regardless, with the time frame we're looking at refinancing seems to make sense - might even buy a point or so.
Your other option, if North Dallas doesn't qualify, would be to pay down the mortgage enough to qualify for conforming rates. You're about 13k away - not that it's always easy to come up with that kind of cash, but it's an option. Good luck.

enigmaos - generally, you are right. But we're talking about the stimulus package raising the conforming loan limits.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:49 PM
I feel the need...

Bernanke, Bush Fail to Build Better Economy With Cuts, Stimulus

By Rich Miller Feb. 25 (Bloomberg) --

Even if Ben S. Bernanke, George W. Bush and Congress win the battle to avert a recession this year, they risk losing the war to strengthen the economy for the long term.

Growth will get a boost in the second half of this year as consumers spend some of the $107 billion in tax rebates passed by Congress and signed by Bush this month. The U.S. may suffer a letdown afterward as the kick from the stimulus wears off, leaving the economy vulnerable to its underlying weaknesses: a retrenching financial industry, indebted consumers and slowing productivity growth.

``This is not a one- or two-quarter phenomenon,'' says economist Neal Soss of Credit Suisse Group, who worked as an aide to former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker. ``This is not a V-shaped event. It's a slow-growth scenario.''

Fed officials see growth picking up to more than 2 percent next year as inflation ebbs to 2 percent or below. Fed Chairman Bernanke, 54, is slated to discuss the central bank's forecast in testimony to Congress Feb. 27 and 28.

So far, the Fed's deepest interest-rate cuts since 2001 haven't helped the financial markets or the economy. What they have caused is an increase in inflation expectations, with the price of gold soaring to a record $958.40 an ounce last week.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aSxn5qjpMC9E
Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Gold pushing $1,000
Silver pushing $20
Euro past 1.5

Inflation
Old 02-27-2008, 06:54 PM
I feel the need...

Federal Reserve Fuels Fire Without the Kindling

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
pushing $20

The Federal Reserve has been cutting interest rates aggressively since September, a total of 225 basis points in less than five months. More than half of the reduction (125 basis points) in the benchmark overnight rate was delivered in an eight-day period in January.

This must mean that the Fed is throwing caution to the wind, recklessly easing in the face of rising inflation, flooding the system with money and laying the groundwork for the Next Great Inflation, right?

Wrong. There is nothing about the level of the federal funds rate per se that tells you whether policy is easy or tight. The Fed can pretty much put the interbank rate where it wants, passively providing the reserves the banking system demands.

A lower funds rate is generally associated with an easier monetary policy, a higher rate with a tighter one. But if there's tepid demand for credit, banks have little demand for reserves. In that case a low absolute funds rate may not reflect an easy policy.

The funds rate is a means to an end, a price (interest rate) used to deliver a quantity (of money). Right now, the quantity of credit the Fed is creating, the monetary base, is minimal.

The base, which consists of currency and bank reserves, is growing 1.2 percent on a year-over-year basis. With inflation running at 4.3 percent, well, you do the math on real base growth (or shrinkage as it turns out).

Sluggish base growth could mean one of two things: Either banks aren't in a position to extend new loans because of capital inadequacy, or businesses and households are borrowing less.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=akdozjxhejOE
Old 02-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I feel the need...

Bernanke Vision for Fed Evokes Investors' Frustration

By Craig Torres Feb. 27 (Bloomberg) --

In the second week of August, the short-term fixed-income sales team at JPMorgan Securities Inc. sat stunned as the trillion-dollar market for asset-backed commercial paper began to collapse.

In normal markets, JPMorgan sells $25 billion of short-term IOUs for clients daily. ``Within the span of six or seven business days, every single investor stopped buying asset-backed commercial paper tied to structured investment vehicles,'' said John Kodweis, a managing director at the New York bank.

How the Federal Reserve has responded to that credit debacle -- the worst since the savings and loan crisis of the early 1990s -- defines Chairman Ben S. Bernanke's reshaping of the world's most important central bank.

With its focus on building consensus around long-term goals and attempts to separate liquidity from broader monetary policy, Bernanke's approach evokes appreciation among some economists. He's also caused frustration among traders trying to discern his intentions.

``The chairman walked into a job that I can best describe as trial by fire,'' said Allen Sinai, president of New York- based Decision Economics Inc. Separating interest-rate policy from liquidity tools was ``absolutely brilliant,'' he said.

To critics, his failure to quickly recognize the economic impact of the market tumult exacerbated the slowdown and meant that when the Fed began cutting rates, reductions needed to be deeper and faster.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a2OkOkjbG5.s
Old 03-19-2008, 12:49 PM

I know there's another thread on yesterdays rate cut, but maybe we can merge and keep one "official" fed rates thread.

BTW for adjustable HELOC tied to prime (minus 0.26% even). At least for the time being.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:39 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
This gov't is hopeless...just cutting rates so that people with already high debts loads can borrow some more money. Whatever happened to the cheques the gov't was giving out to help re-start the economy? Didn't work did it?
Old 03-19-2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Black Tire
This gov't is hopeless...just cutting rates so that people with already high debts loads can borrow some more money. Whatever happened to the cheques the gov't was giving out to help re-start the economy? Didn't work did it?
Yeah, I'm sure if everyone paid half their income in taxes we wouldn't be in this situation

BTW, the checks don't get sent out until May.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:39 PM
You want me to break it?

Well, guess I need to look into refinancing my house now - every little bit helps.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:12 PM
I feel the need...

Inflation Is on the Rise, Fed Should Stand Pat

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
It won't take that long to recognize... Based on the inversion of the two year to fed funds since Jun 06 - Uncle Ben has been behind the curve for quite some time.
Two year treasury positive spread to Fed Funds for the first time since June 06 - what does this mean.... The benchmark yield curve is pricing in an economic recovery and/or inflation risks are growing. My wager is more of the latter.

Uncle Ben will probably give us another quarter next week, but this cycle is cooked.

Federal Reserve officials are wondering how long consumer-price inflation can stay in the neighborhood of 4 percent without undermining their credibility as inflation fighters.

Over the 12 months ended in March, the cost of energy in the consumer-price index shot up 17 percent and food items rose 4.5 percent. The remaining three-fourths of the index, the so-called core CPI, was up a modest 2.4 percent.

Like everybody else, Fed policy makers have been surprised by the repeated surges in world oil prices and more recently by record costs for corn, wheat, rice, soybeans and dairy products. And they have taken comfort that all that's needed to bring the overall inflation rate down is for key commodity prices to stabilize.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=ag4CV8OnWpPc
Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see Uncle Ben tell us to pound salt next week. The market has risen well off its lows and is starting to price in a recovery.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:41 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts

"Go pound salt"

I don't get it
Old 04-26-2008, 06:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep... 4% CPI doesn't bother some people, but it scares the shit out of me...

I'm going to have to bring the 2007 CPI figures (4.1% overall for 2007) into my review this coming May in case the bastards try to stick me with a 2.5% increase this year...

Salary compression sucks
Old 09-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by The Dougler
I'm thinking we should start a pool on predicting the bottom of the market, In another thread of course. Ex. when the DOW hits 9000 it will recover.
Anyone care to start the pool up?

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
i think 9k may be too low... i mean even though the market is still taking a hit today... im thinking a little higher than 9 as a prediction...

Originally Posted by moeronn
IMHO, if the Dow crosses 10k, then we will be in serious trouble.
We're gettin' awfully close.

Originally Posted by wndrlst
I was given 5.375% fixed, no points on a 30 year refi yesterday.
I just refi'd at 4.25% on a 20 year, and switched banks so the new one payed all the fees for me