Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

buying a franchise

Old 06-30-2010, 08:36 AM
boost 3G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
It is much higher than $15k. $15k is the franchise fee. You don't even have a location yet...
http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/Dev..._US_Canada.pdf
i agree...thats just a "signing fee" basically to use their name...than you gotta consider building, signage, supplies, etc. so the initial cost can be greater than you first imagined.

edit: after reading that link...yea 115k is about right...than adding buidling cost or first months morgage or lease in as well.

Last edited by trojanman10984; 06-30-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 AM
i-vtec soo good

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Go to your local Barnes and Nobles magazine section.
There, in the business magazines you'll find at least 4-5 different "Franchsing" mags that will give you all info you need to setup any range of franchises.

FYI: Subway, McDonalds, big boy franchises need at least $1mill. in the bank and at least half mill to be liquid for them to even blink your way. With that said, there are smaller franchises that everyday people get into.

I've been preparing to get myself into a franchise for the past 3 months. I go back and forth with the idea that Im not going to be my own boss which is my biggest hold back at the moment...
Old 06-30-2010, 12:45 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
Man, 15 K in and ur off? thats really good... location is key... research > * ... praying you do very well with whatever you choose... in this economy working for yourself is key!
As some of the guys mentioned, 15k is just the franchise fee...

I do appreciate you kind words.
Originally Posted by speedemon90
So which franchise are you looking into? Subway?

The problem I see with subways is location. There are so many subways now that pretty much every key location will be taken. So I would guess it will take a while to find that right location. I would suggest a place where a lot of offices are located, I'd bet subway would be a popular choice for a lunch break.

This is a random thought, and I have no clue if its possible, maybe subway has some rules against it though. But say you found a great location where during lunch hour you are expecting huge lines, why not have two stations in the same location to get more people in. I know lines will drive away some customers as long as there are other near-by choices.
Haha that idea just hit me, maybe it is or isnt a good idea, but I just wanted to share.

Good luck with you business
I'm not just looking at subway... I looked at bunch other sub shops and few frozen yogurt places.
Originally Posted by trojanman10984
with low over head and great location...you could start profitting first year.
the key is keeping your over head and daily expenses to a minimum but also having a certain appeal to your store....tough thing to manage and keep at a 50/50

speaking of location...try walmart or target. my cousin has 2 in walmart and says they are his two highest grossing stores. or even an industrial park location like stated above
The thing with walmart is that... there aren't too many walmart around my area, and I'm not sure if there is any spot available to being with... I will definitely keep that in my mind. I'm actually going to meet up with business planner to talk more detail about it... I will definitely bring this up to the guy to see if there is any spot available.

Far as I understanding about subway is that, there won't be any profit until I start opening more stores.
Originally Posted by SirBLaughs
Go to your local Barnes and Nobles magazine section.
There, in the business magazines you'll find at least 4-5 different "Franchsing" mags that will give you all info you need to setup any range of franchises.

FYI: Subway, McDonalds, big boy franchises need at least $1mill. in the bank and at least half mill to be liquid for them to even blink your way. With that said, there are smaller franchises that everyday people get into.

I've been preparing to get myself into a franchise for the past 3 months. I go back and forth with the idea that Im not going to be my own boss which is my biggest hold back at the moment...
There is no way that Subway franchise requires 1mill to start... McD and other bigger franchise does require minimum $1 mill just buy the name, but Subway no near that cost.

Last edited by S14 n Tsx; 06-30-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by BubbaMarkTL
take juniorbeans advice with a grain of salt...his business failed....
You're a fool. We got rid of them due to a lawsuit for a new location we were unable to get financing for. Our open stores were collateral damage. Not only were our open locations successful, but they were top in the region in sales. And when we sold the assets, we sold everything for a profit.

Eat before you talk son...
Old 06-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator

S14 n Tsx - If you have any questions PM me. I will say that the only time I recommend buying a franchise is if you can buy an existing location. Even then you need to be VERY careful b/c you need to find out why they are selling.

We had two locations, one we built and one we bought. Both did very well in sales and the one we built actually had higher gross numbers, but the startup costs were more then double... so it would have taken a lot more time to make back our investment.

We actually had a very good franchise experience, however, typically I advise against them. If it was a different market, I'd say go for it b/c then you could build up the sales and sell the business for a profit. That is not the case today. Even if you had the #1 store in the system you will not be able to sell it for a significant amount of money... and with franchises, you typically make more money off of the sale then you do off of the store itself.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

Oh and Subway is typically $250k-$350k... but expect to be on the higher end of that range.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:09 AM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by juniorbean
S14 n Tsx - If you have any questions PM me. I will say that the only time I recommend buying a franchise is if you can buy an existing location. Even then you need to be VERY careful b/c you need to find out why they are selling.

We had two locations, one we built and one we bought. Both did very well in sales and the one we built actually had higher gross numbers, but the startup costs were more then double... so it would have taken a lot more time to make back our investment.

We actually had a very good franchise experience, however, typically I advise against them. If it was a different market, I'd say go for it b/c then you could build up the sales and sell the business for a profit. That is not the case today. Even if you had the #1 store in the system you will not be able to sell it for a significant amount of money... and with franchises, you typically make more money off of the sale then you do off of the store itself.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

Oh and Subway is typically $250k-$350k... but expect to be on the higher end of that range.
I really appreciate for your inside info. I met up with few business planners, and it seems more complicated than I thought. I am still open to do anything... it can be franchise or start my own business. Obviously there are pros and cons to buying a franchise... visa verse for starting my own business.

I heard that banks aren't giving out any kind of loan to new business owner.. is this true? I thank my parents for supporting with the fund...

I will shoot you a pm soon.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:48 AM
boost 3G

^^^no loans unless you are in well with a bank
Old 07-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
I really appreciate for your inside info. I met up with few business planners, and it seems more complicated than I thought. I am still open to do anything... it can be franchise or start my own business. Obviously there are pros and cons to buying a franchise... visa verse for starting my own business.

I heard that banks aren't giving out any kind of loan to new business owner.. is this true? I thank my parents for supporting with the fund...

I will shoot you a pm soon.

We've done franchise and non-franchise businesses, so put together a list of questions and shoot me a PM. If you want, I can PM you my email address if that's easier then sending a PM (in case you did everything in Word or something).

As for the banks... they really are not lending. We did a small business loan for the store we built, and a standard loan for the location we purchased (since the dollar amount was much lower). The SBA loan took about 7-9 months to get and the "standard loan" program does not even exist anymore!

We actually knew someone who was investing in a larger franchise where the building is owned. He was putting down $750k of a $1.1m investment... and even with his impeccable credit and history, plus a down-payment of nearly 70%, he could not get a loan.

It really has nothing to do with who you know or whatever... the bottom line is that banks are just not taking any risks with businesses right now... despite what the government has been trying to do.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
We've done franchise and non-franchise businesses, so put together a list of questions and shoot me a PM. If you want, I can PM you my email address if that's easier then sending a PM (in case you did everything in Word or something).

As for the banks... they really are not lending. We did a small business loan for the store we built, and a standard loan for the location we purchased (since the dollar amount was much lower). The SBA loan took about 7-9 months to get and the "standard loan" program does not even exist anymore!

We actually knew someone who was investing in a larger franchise where the building is owned. He was putting down $750k of a $1.1m investment... and even with his impeccable credit and history, plus a down-payment of nearly 70%, he could not get a loan.

It really has nothing to do with who you know or whatever... the bottom line is that banks are just not taking any risks with businesses right now... despite what the government has been trying to do.

That is ridiculous
Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
That is ridiculous
As my buddy in the mortgage industry stated... "the pendulum has swung from conservative to stupid". This appears to be true for lending in general...
Old 01-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Question

Any experience in this business?

I been looking to buy a franchise.. what do you guys recommend?

I looked at Subway and chipotle so far. I am leanning towards Subway because over head cost isn't so bad to start one up, and their franchise fee is pretty reasonable. I also heard lot of good things about subway...

I think those are good franchise to begin with, but my knowledge in fanchise is so limited.... If you guys know something that you guys can recommend, I appreciate it.

My budget is between 200k-300k.

http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/Dev..._US_Canada.pdf

This is what I found through Subway website.... definitely fits into my budget.
I was talking to someone recently about a franchise opportunity and thought of this thread.

Did you end up moving forward with anything?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Wow, didn't realize how old this thread was. Sounds pretty great running your own franchise(s). I bet it's a lot of work, though.

juniorbean, did you find any post-secondary education helped you when you were in the business? Or did you learn mostly from experience?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Learned from experience. Got some general training from the franchisor, and leaned on one of our fellow owners the first few months. After that just learned as we went. The first year I ran the store as if I was the manager. That way I knew everything... and knew how to do every single thing, from top to bottom. Then after the first year we put people in place at each location and just built the businesses outside of the stores (catering, fundraising, charities, schools, etc)....
Old 01-21-2011, 03:58 PM
mmmmmm....

I was talking to someone recently about a franchise opportunity and thought of this thread.

Did you end up moving forward with anything?
Thanks for asking!

We (my parents and I) are still in search for a right business. LA market is terrible right now, so we decided to wait a bit. I will definitely hit you up for more help if we figure it out what we want to do.

I looked up so many different franchises but nothing that grabbed our attention yet.

I been jobless for 6 months now... I'm dying to start something, but would rather sit at home then burning $100k+ something won't last long.

Do you have any ideas? I wish the market was better... When do you think market will pick up again? some said that within two years. sigh.

Last edited by S14 n Tsx; 01-21-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 PM
mmmmmm....

Learned from experience. Got some general training from the franchisor, and leaned on one of our fellow owners the first few months. After that just learned as we went. The first year I ran the store as if I was the manager. That way I knew everything... and knew how to do every single thing, from top to bottom. Then after the first year we put people in place at each location and just built the businesses outside of the stores (catering, fundraising, charities, schools, etc)....
If I find the right franchise that I want to do then I will definitely work there for a few months to get the system down before me jumping into the business without knowing anything.

Owning a business is not easy due to heavy hours that I have to put into, but I think I'm more of owning my business than working under corporation. I hate kissing someone's ass for nothing...
Old 01-21-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
Wonder what I would need to start up a strip club franchise(there are franchises right? Like Deja vu or spearmint? )
Old 01-21-2011, 04:21 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
Wonder what I would need to start up a strip club franchise(there are franchises right? Like Deja vu or spearmint? )
I remember you saying you have 0 savings. Franchising is risky, as is any small business. I would avoid it until you have had the chance to save up some funds first.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:53 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by Mizouse
You need win a jackpot before you can start one. without any money and no experience, you are going no where.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
Geez way to smash my dreams...

Old 01-22-2011, 12:44 AM
mmmmmm....

lol.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:41 AM
boost 3G

been thinking of moving away from the hotel/motel business into the food industry. my dads friend owns a joint call Nothing but Noodles. its based out AZ fairly small chain in about 6 states. a little pricey to start up but great turnaround. his revenue is about 40K a week. check them out! none in the state of CA as of yet. the website is nothingbutnoodles.com

i might venure out into this and see how it goes
Old 01-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

If I find the right franchise that I want to do then I will definitely work there for a few months to get the system down before me jumping into the business without knowing anything.

Owning a business is not easy due to heavy hours that I have to put into, but I think I'm more of owning my business than working under corporation. I hate kissing someone's ass for nothing...
Working in the system is a good way to get into it as well. It all depends on what you choose. We did an ice cream franchise which typically employs HS age kids. We figured, if they can be trained on all products in a few days, we can learn easily.... which we did. The running the business part just comes with being there. We went with the flow our first year, but after that we then knew the cycles during the season, effects stuff like weather, daylight savings, school vacations, holidays, etc. had on the business, and were able to plan accordingly. The first year, I just worked there as much as possible myself. After learning all of that from being there, I was able to hire and plan going forward. You will have to do this no matter which route you go...b/c even working in another location will have different then what your location may be.

But you're right... market sucks. I personally do not expect much of a change until at least 2013. Until people are back to work and the housing market picks up, we're going to at least stay flat for a while. That said, a recession is actually a great time to go into business (if you pick the right one). Once you choose a franchise you want to be involved in, you can probably pick up one which is in distress for pennies on the dollar. Example, one of the owners we know just bought a competitors shop and is turning it into their shop. Got it for under $10k. To give you an idea, our build out was over $330k. So there are opportunities out there and you can get a huge leg up if you find something like that. But be do your homework and be prepared to work a ton. Also, be prepared to not take a salary for at least the first year... if not 2-3 years. We were lucky that we were able to turn positive cash flow in a few months... but that was also in 2007, which was a different time. Even when we closed the locations in 2009 we had positive cash flow... but by then we were established for a couple of years. It will be tougher to jump out now... but it can be done... just be prepared for what will have to go into it...
Old 02-10-2011, 04:26 AM
mmmmmm....

^^how come I keep on missing this thread?

I appreciate for your personal experience info... I will keep this thread updated with soon as I get something.

I am most likely to learn to spanish while I'm searching for a job/business. My parents believes that I should learn some spanish for my future.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Working in the system is a good way to get into it as well. It all depends on what you choose. We did an ice cream franchise which typically employs HS age kids. We figured, if they can be trained on all products in a few days, we can learn easily.... which we did. The running the business part just comes with being there. We went with the flow our first year, but after that we then knew the cycles during the season, effects stuff like weather, daylight savings, school vacations, holidays, etc. had on the business, and were able to plan accordingly. The first year, I just worked there as much as possible myself. After learning all of that from being there, I was able to hire and plan going forward. You will have to do this no matter which route you go...b/c even working in another location will have different then what your location may be.

But you're right... market sucks. I personally do not expect much of a change until at least 2013. Until people are back to work and the housing market picks up, we're going to at least stay flat for a while. That said, a recession is actually a great time to go into business (if you pick the right one). Once you choose a franchise you want to be involved in, you can probably pick up one which is in distress for pennies on the dollar. Example, one of the owners we know just bought a competitors shop and is turning it into their shop. Got it for under $10k. To give you an idea, our build out was over $330k. So there are opportunities out there and you can get a huge leg up if you find something like that. But be do your homework and be prepared to work a ton. Also, be prepared to not take a salary for at least the first year... if not 2-3 years. We were lucky that we were able to turn positive cash flow in a few months... but that was also in 2007, which was a different time. Even when we closed the locations in 2009 we had positive cash flow... but by then we were established for a couple of years. It will be tougher to jump out now... but it can be done... just be prepared for what will have to go into it...

I'm taking a class right now in grad school to help on how to learn how to buy a small business. It seems that it can "sometimes" make more financial sense to buy an existing business, or distressed business than to go and open a single location. I think i'm speaking more of things like quick/fast food type places (not necessarily franchises).

A few businesses i'm looking at are health/fitness/tanning salons which can have some high margins (but could be risky if they were just "tanning only"). But also places like beer/wine/liquor stores, where you can take an absentee owned company and apply some energy and internet marketing (facebook, twitter, etc) to bring in new/loyal business.

So I guess the question in, for someone who's looking to buy their first business, better to start a new franchise operation, or buy an existing business?