Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio & Wisconsin

Twin Cities Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metric
Hey guys. First post here. I just bought my 2008 TL and it's pretty well stock at the moment. First thing I'm looking to do is tints. What % did most of you go with? I know the 'legal' tint in MN is 50% but that's ridiculous. I was thinking of going with 35% - do the shops care if you ask for this? I was going to get a quote from Sun Control in Eden Prairie for ceramic. Also anyone here gotten any tickets for 35%? I would think the cops would only care if it's like 20% or less.
Welcome!

My CL has 20% all around plus 5% on my sunroof and eyebrow. My Jeep has 20% all around. I have been ridin' dirrrty for over two years and lucky have not been hassled by the local authorities for my tint :knockonwood: The shops I had install my tint gave me no hassles.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:56 AM
I like turtles

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey guys. First post here. I just bought my 2008 TL and it's pretty well stock at the moment. First thing I'm looking to do is tints. What % did most of you go with? I know the 'legal' tint in MN is 50% but that's ridiculous. I was thinking of going with 35% - do the shops care if you ask for this? I was going to get a quote from Sun Control in Eden Prairie for ceramic. Also anyone here gotten any tickets for 35%? I would think the cops would only care if it's like 20% or less.
I have 35% on my NBP TL and it looks great. I have had 35% on all of my cars and have never been hassled for it.

As far as where to get it tinted, I highly recommend my boy Tien at Tint Pros Mobile. He does GREAT work, and is very reasonably priced, you'll save quite a bit going with him over Sun Control in EP. I've got his number if you'd like it.

They don't have a problem asking for 35%, they know the tint law here in MN is ridiculous. If I remember correctly, you sign something stating that you understand the tint laws for the state and they aren't liable for any violations you might get due to the tint you requested.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
hey twin cities acuras. im in n.w. WI, and i have a 2010 tl. i sold my 2005 back in august.

got my 4g at acura of seattle, had it shipped to me- took like 4 days to get it, had it for 6 weeks and love it.

there were no 6mt tl's in the twin cities, or in the midwest! thats why i bought from seattle.

im actually getting tint from mobile tinting in forest lake today. cant wait to finally do my first mod!

im gonna probably go with 35% all around. anyways, i would like to join everyone whenever the

next meet will be. im only an hour from white bear lake. thx!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 PM
The cake is a lie.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tl3430
hey twin cities acuras. im in n.w. WI, and i have a 2010 tl. i sold my 2005 back in august.

got my 4g at acura of seattle, had it shipped to me- took like 4 days to get it, had it for 6 weeks and love it.

there were no 6mt tl's in the twin cities, or in the midwest! thats why i bought from seattle.

im actually getting tint from mobile tinting in forest lake today. cant wait to finally do my first mod!

im gonna probably go with 35% all around. anyways, i would like to join everyone whenever the

Hey our first 4G member I was wondering how long it would be for one to show up here.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:38 PM
The cake is a lie.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
After three years I finally have an Avatar and signature.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by luckyjakob
I was debating getting one of those. It's like $30 a month isn't it?
Yeah it's $30 bucks a month and I hope that you're not hand waxing your car. Because that will be a lot of work seriously. I already take 3-5 hours on mines doing: polishing/waxing with the D.A. polisher.

I have the nano ceramic tint in 50% on mines and most people think it's 35% lol. My brother has the regular non nano ceramic tint in 50% on his front windows and mines are a shade darker, both with black interior btw.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Boosted...

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice choice of car! I love the 6 speed in the SH-AWD, they are a total blast to drive. Did you get the 19" SPORT wheels as well?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know why everyone always feels ceramic is the answer. You pay significantly more for slightly better interior temp control and that is about it. The whole "need ceramic to prevent signal issues with XM or nav" is crap. Just make sure you install moleskins!

As for % question... my last car I had 17% tint as read by the 8 cops who pulled me over for it (military duty seemed to override the tickets). Personally, I would stay away from 20%. My TL now has 35% and it's not too dark that it makes a cop suspicious.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:47 AM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by WBA-01
Nice choice of car! I love the 6 speed in the SH-AWD, they are a total blast to drive. Did you get the 19" SPORT wheels as well?
WBA-01...... i really enjoyed my 2005 6mt tl, it was non nav, wdp-camel.

my 2010 tl sh awd is an amazing car! 6 mt, 305 hp, the handling is unreal.

i have the 18 wheels. i have pics in my garage. ill have to post new ones, i just got 35% tints all around.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:51 AM
I like turtles

Originally Posted by SSM4DR
Yeah it's $30 bucks a month and I hope that you're not hand waxing your car. Because that will be a lot of work seriously. I already take 3-5 hours on mines doing: polishing/waxing with the D.A. polisher.
Nope, I haven't hand waxed my car in a while. Too much work for me.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SSM4DR
What's wrong with the extra work?? It's what I am doing on my Veteran's Day. The reward from the shine after all the effort is worth it. Plus, with cool temperatures there are no bugs that destroy your efforts within a few miles!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:52 AM
I like turtles

Originally Posted by heza
What's wrong with the extra work?? It's what I am doing on my Veteran's Day. The reward from the shine after all the effort is worth it. Plus, with cool temperatures there are no bugs that destroy your efforts within a few miles!
I have an indoor heated garage so I don't have to worry about bugs or anything

On a side note, I get to pick up my new iPhone 4S today! I'm "upgrading" from an iPhone 4, but figured I'm eligible so I should upgrade.. and I can sell my iPhone 4 for the same price as I'm buying my new one for, so why not right??
Old 11-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
I've heard good things with the iPhone 4s for our cars. Sirus or whatever it's called is pretty compatible with our HFL, so you'll hear her through the cars sound system as far as reading texts and replying and what not.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836064

Oops, seems like you're already aware of this since you posted in the topic already lol.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Anyone know of anyone selling some snow tires? 235/45/17.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm back

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nate_0022
I've heard good things with the iPhone 4s for our cars. Sirus or whatever it's called is pretty compatible with our HFL, so you'll hear her through the cars sound system as far as reading texts and replying and what not.

Oops, seems like you're already aware of this since you posted in the topic already lol.
Dont you love Siri?? Haha
Even I only have an 04, but I don't it when iPhone 4s is paired with the bluetooth
Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 PM
I like turtles

Haha yep, I saw that, but finally decided to pick one up. So far I'm loving it.

Originally Posted by chokin
Dont you love Siri?? Haha
Even I only have an 04, but I don't it when iPhone 4s is paired with the bluetooth
Siri is AWESOME. I've asked her some funny shit and she has responded to everything. I've asked her where I can hide dead bodies and she gave me options as to if i wanted to hide them in sewers, swamps, etc.. We've had some fun with it at work today haha
Old 11-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carmodifier

What's your project?
Sorry i dont get on here much any more. My Project is a 91 RX-7 thats getting a LsX and single t76 turbo.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Pro

There's nothing wrong with the extra work at all . With the D.A. polisher you can get maybe 10X the result from doing it by hand.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Boosted...

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Anyone know of anyone selling some snow tires? 235/45/17.
Hey nate i saw these while looking for a set for my brother. You could see if these are still available...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...651762542.html

Have you replaced that other tire yet ?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

I saw those yesterday. I need to find $600 somewhere! Someone buy my damn exhaust lol.
Hey Joe, if you come around a decent set of 07-08 typeS wheels let me know. I'll turn my current wheels into dedicated winter wheels.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:03 AM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Talking

Welcome aboard Nice ride. we do get together in the summer alot. In the winter they Hibernate.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Advanced

Talking

I agree. There is nothing like doing the job and looking at the result. With the SSM you can get away more without waxing. Now that I have a NBP is much more noticeable.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:15 AM
Advanced

Talking

I have an indoor heated garage so I don't have to worry about bugs or anything

On a side note, I get to pick up my new iPhone 4S today! I'm "upgrading" from an iPhone 4, but figured I'm eligible so I should upgrade.. and I can sell my iPhone 4 for the same price as I'm buying my new one for, so why not right??
Now I know were I can do winter work on my car. Nice to know about the heated garage. On another note nice to know you will have a phone that works.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:19 AM
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by WBA-01
Hey nate i saw these while looking for a set for my brother. You could see if these are still available...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...651762542.html

Have you replaced that other tire yet ?
I think that SC would look better in my engine bay. What is going on this weekend.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:22 AM
Advanced

Talking

Welcome aboard. We hope to see you in some of our meets.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:30 AM
Advanced

Talking

Hey bro, glad to hear you're getting all healed up. Too bad it's just in time for winter.. How you been aside from the leg?
Thanks man. I just take it one day at a time. But with all this nice weather I haven't put the TL-S away. I have to make up for lost Clutch time if you know what I mean.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:38 AM
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
Still alive!

I feel kind of bad. I love the G, but I'm just not into it like I was the TL. Seems that I'm broke, cars got hella miles on it (so no modding for now) and the paint on it is just wrecked. The person before me didn't take care of it, so I've got bugs in the clearcoat. I washed it by hand a couple of times, but even then it doesn't really turn out well since you can see everything on the black.

Although its a lot less work and stress just to have a DD that you can run through the carwash, and park anywhere you want. I still watch for door dings, but that's about it.
Glow you should CLAY BAR it. My car had alot of sediments in the paint when I first got it. I have CLAY BAR it a several times and it has made a difference. Then go and buy Turtle wax's BLACK BOX it is the bomb for black cars. You will see a difference.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:43 AM
Advanced

Talking

I've done the 3x3 with Redline D4. A big difference coming from the Honda AtF, when spring come I'm going to switch to the racing and lightweight ATF.
Really guys unless you are going to put your car on a race track on a weekly basis you are wasting your money unless you are getting it cheaper than the Acura fluid. Ask Joe. this is the same for the racing brake fluid.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:48 AM
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by blktl04
Holy new people!
Yes were the F#*K you been. You get married we do not hear from you much.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:53 AM
Advanced

Talking

I run my ride through the carwashes.. I'm lazy like that though haha.

Jorge wanna wash my car for me like once a week?!?
Yes you pay. Now that I know you have a heated GARAGE do they have a wash stall like Josh had in his loft.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:00 AM
Advanced

Talking

Yes tonight I am the POST WHORE. I think I am all caught up with everyone. If i miss someone let me know. Hey Jake nice day to wash the cars by hand one last time. Come over help me with LEAVE MANAGEMENT and we can wash the cars and maybe grill.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:02 AM
Advanced

Talking

I saw those yesterday. I need to find $600 somewhere! Someone buy my damn exhaust lol.
Hey Joe, if you come around a decent set of 07-08 typeS wheels let me know. I'll turn my current wheels into dedicated winter wheels.
Did you sell your tail lights.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 AM
I like turtles

Originally Posted by Takata 18
Yes you pay. Now that I know you have a heated GARAGE do they have a wash stall like Josh had in his loft.
I'll pay for a FULL detail.. inside and out..

Yes tonight I am the POST WHORE. I think I am all caught up with everyone. If i miss someone let me know. Hey Jake nice day to wash the cars by hand one last time. Come over help me with LEAVE MANAGEMENT and we can wash the cars and maybe grill.
Can't today bud, hopefully we get a few more nice days before snow hits??
Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Did you sell your tail lights.
No sir, I still have them.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm back

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone know someone that does mid muffler delete for cheap?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Advanced

Talking

I'll pay for a FULL detail.. inside and out..

Can't today bud, hopefully we get a few more nice days before snow hits??
If you pay i will do it. I think most of The nice days aré gone.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Pro

Whew! my brother helped me install my new Ingalls engineering front sway bar links last night, and those annoying clicking/clunking noise when going over bumps in the front is gone . Can't wait till I get the progress RSB and install in the Ingalls engineering rear sway bar link as well.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Pro

I think most of The nice days aré gone.
I agree, I put all my detailing gear away expect for interior detailing stuff.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Talking

I will be bringing my stuff in the basement. Do a little interior here and there during the winter. Have to use a torpedo heater in the garage to do this. Soon the Beast goes in for the winter. I miss him during those moths. On the poitive side clean and ready for spring. Save alot of $ on Insurance.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Pro

Just joined that Progress 24mm adjustable RSB group buy and paid. Now I can't wait to get it so I can install in my Ingalls rear sway bar links along with it .

Quick Reply: Twin Cities Acuras