Mid-Atlantic Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington DC & West Virginia

Ticket advice-VA

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
Ticket advice-VA

On the highway late at night I pulled into one of the those spots in the median that cops always use. Cop sees me from other side of the road, makes a U-turn on the highway, and catches me eating a burger . Gives me a improper stopping ticket.

Cliffs: Got an improper stopping ticket.

If I go to court and plead no contest, will they lower it to a less offensive charge? Maybe something less than a moving violation?

I know I'm a DUMBASS.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:34 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,313 Likes on 4,897 Posts
When was the last time you got a ticket?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:12 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
why didn't you pull off to the right side of the road on the shoulder??? or the next exit to eat your burger???
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 06:47 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I am assuming the cop thought you were having problems. You can try. Live and learn. The could ofs, should ofs are over with.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
:got2Bmore2thestory:

Pay the ticket it, its the cost of being dumb. /Thread.

Last edited by HEAVY_RL; 04-25-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:56 AM
FRESHINNOVATION NBP TL-S

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
LOL you mustve been pretty hungry
Old 04-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
first, you have to see if there is a sign at that exact one saying it is illegal to use it, because law enforcement usually has a sign stating that, and second, if there isnt, I would plead not guilty and fight it and find out what exactly does that mean improper parking (look up the code for your ticket). If you are found guilty, you are going to have to pay the ticket anyways, but there is always a chance that it will get dismissed. my 2 cents
Old 04-25-2012, 10:02 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I will give you some credit-pulling over to eat. Just the wrong place. I also suggest not pulling over to the right shoulder especially on 95. Very dangerous.
civicdrivr (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Searching..

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
go back and make sure there's no "authorized vehicles only" signs..

maybe it was cause you didn't share your fries with the officer/trooper.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
When was the last time you got a ticket?
Only had one ticket my whole life. It was for going 71 in a 50, but I went to court and plead no contest, they dropped it to a failure to obey highway sign. This was March of last year.

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
why didn't you pull off to the right side of the road on the shoulder??? or the next exit to eat your burger???
I have no idea what the hell I was thinking either. I've never done this before in my life.

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I am assuming the cop thought you were having problems. You can try. Live and learn. The could ofs, should ofs are over with.
Doesn't hurt to try I guess. Besides I'd have to pay court fees regardless of if I actually go to court or not.

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
:got2Bmore2thestory:

Pay the ticket it, its the cost of being dumb. /Thread.
You've spent too much time in ramblings.

Originally Posted by Biggi_e
LOL you mustve been pretty hungry
Tell me about it

Originally Posted by RAGINTYPE-S
first, you have to see if there is a sign at that exact one saying it is illegal to use it, because law enforcement usually has a sign stating that, and second, if there isnt, I would plead not guilty and fight it and find out what exactly does that mean improper parking (look up the code for your ticket). If you are found guilty, you are going to have to pay the ticket anyways, but there is always a chance that it will get dismissed. my 2 cents
The sign was there, its illegal. When I braked and pulled into the spot, there wasn't any cars in sight though. Can't say I was putting anyone in danger, but what I did was still illegal.

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I will give you some credit-pulling over to eat. Just the wrong place. I also suggest not pulling over to the right shoulder especially on 95. Very dangerous.
It was late last night and I think my reason for not pulling over to the shoulder was because I didn't want to get hit.

Originally Posted by AznAccord08
go back and make sure there's no "authorized vehicles only" signs..

maybe it was cause you didn't share your fries with the officer/trooper.
It does unfortunately. It was actually two cops in one car. I'm assuming one was training the other because only one of them spoke to me.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:36 PM

Damn, improper stopping is a 3-pt offense and is on your record for three years.

Go to court prepared, bring your driving abstract. Be very polite and honest with the judge. Plead guilty and hope they drop it to a lesser offense. The ticket you got last year may screw you though.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Since it carries points (and a resulting increase in insurance costs) you really need to go to court to plead your case.

You need to be honest but consider these points:

Why did you stop? Are you diabetic or have other blood sugar issues?

Was stopping there safer than stopping on the shoulder?

The main reason for those restrictions is to keep people from making a U-turn. You'll want to point out that you were not intending on making a turn, just to stop outside of the flow of traffic.

Remember that the goal of the state is to keep the streets safe and to generate revenue. Your main goal is to get the fewest points possible and to keep as much money in your pocket.

You'll end up paying the fine in any case. Your purpose of going to court is to get no points. You should be able to do that. Show up well dressed, be honest, polite and show remorse. Point out your clean record and the fact that you've learned from your one other ticket.

Quite frankly, the cop should have issued a warning once he determined that you weren't planning on making a u-turn. He may have felt that he had to make a point since he had a trainee with him.

Good luck and please come back to this thread with the outcome.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
civicdrivr (04-26-2012), nj2pa2nc (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You might as well just go to court and hope the cop doesn't show. This happened to me, and my ticket got dropped.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 PM

Its very unlikely in VA since they get paid OT to show up IIRC.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
idk how diff DC laws are from VA, but my dad got a 50 in a 25 ticket, we did trial by mail, and i wrote a letter and sent it in. it was the most cockamanie bullshit ever, included something about being out of state, and not his regular car, and he didn't realize or something. literally like 8 months later, got a letter in the mail "dismissed" i was like cool lmfao.

may as well go to court and plead your case. usually a judge will atleast give you a lesser offense. they don't often punish regular stupidity, just stupidity that endangers others. include something like you were driving late night, and were very tired, and was hoping that the carbs would give you a slight sugar rush and give you energy so that you could safely and alertly get to where you were going. its actually fairly reasonable.

when i drove down to TN from NJ for a music festival, at like 3am, i pulled over on the shoulder(there were few cars on the road). it was really because my sister needed to use the bushes, and we were searching for a rest stop, even took an exit, but could find nothing in a very rural area. i saw the cop pull up behind when i was out of the car, approached him with my hands up, and spoke to him. i told him that we were driving 15 hours, and that we pulled over so that we could switch drivers because i was tired, and we wanted to be safe on the road. cop said that was very smart of you, and to have a good night and be safe, he drove off. as others have said, your situation sounds like he was strict due to the ridealong most likely
tsxteecee (04-29-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 PM
05 TL NBP 6spd S front

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
So Amir
What happen to you? did you go to court or you just paid the fine.