Mid-Atlantic Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington DC & West Virginia

ASPEC suspension install help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ASPEC suspension install help?

I'm thinking about picking up the ASPEC suspension for my TL... Anyone have experience @ installing this?

Located in Alexandria, VA

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
You should do it and make a write-up. I think you will be the 1st to perform this.

Haha jk - there are a couple good write-ups on suspension swaps and removing back seats to get to the rears.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:43 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
check for the write ups. i helped my brother install mine. life is easier if you have an extra set of hands and air tools. also PB blast the bolts NOW. again make it easier on yourself. without a lift the toughest thing is trying to pull the stock shock out of the maze of suspension parts. once you figure out how it comes out, putting the new one in isn't as bad. you will need a pry bar to get things to line up. it took us about 3 hrs and many f-bombs. the back was a bit tougher than the fronts. other helpful hints...leave the rear deck in. the clips will break, its a PITA, and one less thing to have to take out and put back in (unless you plan to do something with your system). we left the rear deck in. back seat takes maybe 10-15 min to pull out (once you figure out where all the bolts are). find someone with air tools and couple of floor jacks (or a lift), as well as previous experience dropping a suspension in and you should be good to go.

knowing what we know now...my brother said we could have done it in 2-2.5 hrs. oh and make sure your endlinks (and don't be surprised if you happen to strip out your end links in the rear) are nice a snug afterwards otherwise, you'll end up with an annoying rattle. hmmm...i think that's it for the helpful hints. i know this doesn't physically help you with your install, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what to expect. good luck.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JLui83
I'm thinking about picking up the ASPEC suspension for my TL... Anyone have experience @ installing this?

Located in Alexandria, VA

Thanks!
Here is the link to the instructions

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/self-installed-spec-suspension-3g-garage-d-058-a-568429/

I would suggest buying a torque wrench and torque everything to spec. I wouldn't risk under tightening suspension components. With the proper sockets you shouldn't risk striping bolts. I would recommend using 1/2" and 3/4" ratchets and follow the socket size in the instructions, if possible try using 6pt sockets and make sure they are snug/tight fitting. Along with the sockets make sure you have the proper wrench sizes. This will help insure all bolt break loose. Also recommend investing in a 15" to 18" breaker bar. I recommend the craftsman bars over snap on bars. You can also use the breaker bar as a lug wrench and the torque wrench to tighten lug nuts to spec.

Over all by myself it took me 3 hours to install and I took my time making sure all bolts were to torqued to spec. Follow the instructions and you should be fine. Review the instructions and make sure you have the proper tools prior to the install.

Good luck.