AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Marketplace (https://acurazine.com/forums/marketplace-461/)
-   -   WTB: 3G TL with 6 Speed (https://acurazine.com/forums/marketplace-461/wtb-3g-tl-6-speed-976182/)

Curious3GTL 01-06-2019 10:52 AM

WTB: 3G TL with 6 Speed

Basically like the title says. I am looking to buy a 6 speed TL. I am located in Raleigh, NC, but willing to travel for one in great shape. It's not a deal breaker for me but I much prefer the interior looks of the ones with Navigation.

Thanks,

horseshoez 01-06-2019 10:59 AM

Good luck in your search, I spent five months back in 2017 looking for mine; several have come up for sale here recently and a couple have been pretty cherry. Keep us posted.

Curious3GTL 01-06-2019 01:59 PM

Thanks so much for the nice words. Yeah, I figure it'll be a long search to find one that's in good shape, I just don't want any old clunker. There was one in Virginia that was one owner with a new timing belt and sadly it's already sold. The search goes on lol

truonghthe 01-06-2019 10:49 PM

If you can wait for mine lol :P

Midnight Mystery 01-07-2019 07:16 AM

@Curious3GTL. Potential offer^^^

Curious3GTL 01-07-2019 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by truonghthe (Post 16360396)
If you can wait for mine lol :P

The Red one? It's a beautiful car, but it's an auto :( The whole reason I am doing this is for the 6MT. If you still have that 05 in your signature then I am interested lol

Edit: I just saw the thread on the silver one. Another beautiful car, and I am not against waiting. Like I said, it's going to take awhile to find one of these in good shape lol

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16360468)
@Curious3GTL. Potential offer^^^

We'll see, thanks!

Midnight Mystery 01-07-2019 08:36 AM

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=218709022

Nearby, no-nav.

Midnight Mystery 01-07-2019 08:39 AM

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=224371234

Clean TypeS with 4 owners.

Midnight Mystery 01-07-2019 08:43 AM

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=202045753

I really like this one but it has high miles, seats beginning to wear and multiple owners, but it looks hot for it's age!

truonghthe 01-07-2019 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL (Post 16360509)
The Red one? It's a beautiful car, but it's an auto :( The whole reason I am doing this is for the 6MT. If you still have that 05 in your signature then I am interested lol

Edit: I just saw the thread on the silver one. Another beautiful car, and I am not against waiting. Like I said, it's going to take awhile to find one of these in good shape lol

We'll see, thanks!

I gonna fix some issues on the SSM one before put it back on the market, if you can wait lol.

Curious3GTL 01-07-2019 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16360513)

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16360515)

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16360517)
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=202045753

I really like this one but it has high miles, seats beginning to wear and multiple owners, but it looks hot for it's age!

Yeah, I have actually seen the silver one before. It's priced a little high and the front bumper looks a little beat. I am not opposed to doing work (these cars are 10-15 years old at this point) but I am not paying above retail for a car that needs work lol.

This one in Virginia is sadly sold or I would own it, lol

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

The New Jersey one is a little far out for me, I am going to wait some before I go that far. The Wisconsin one is probably a pass just because that's the rust belt. In North Carolina it snows once and nobody drives, it's the reason we have 20 year old cars in great shape.

Originally Posted by truonghthe (Post 16360524)
I gonna fix some issues on the SSM one before put it back on the market, if you can wait lol.

Sounds good to me. Shoot me a PM when you're done and if I haven't found one then we can talk. :)

horseshoez 01-07-2019 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL (Post 16360542)
The Wisconsin one is probably a pass just because that's the rust belt. In North Carolina it snows once and nobody drives, it's the reason we have 20 year old cars in great shape.

I wouldn't rule out the Wisconsin car just because of location. When I was shopping I looked at something less than 100 cars and have a few observations which may help:
  • The 3G TL does not appear to be very rust prone; the worst car I saw in my shopping had some rust on the left rear quarter panel, however, upon closer analysis, the quarter panel in question had clearly been replaced early in the car's life.
  • I found a quick way to get a feel for the amount of rust on the car overall was to look at the strut tower brace behind the engine; for whatever reason, that brace seems to show rust before the rest of the car.
  • I found southern cars were more likely to have paint issues and cracks in the dashboard over the passenger side airbag.
  • The car I ended up with spent it's entire life licensed in New England (Massachusetts), however, given how completely rust free it was (including the brace), the odds on bet is it was either garaged all winter, or spent it's winters in the south.

Midnight Mystery 01-07-2019 09:19 AM

Yeah, that was a nice car! Love the anthracite!

Curious3GTL 01-07-2019 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16360547)
I wouldn't rule out the Wisconsin car just because of location. When I was shopping I looked at something less than 100 cars and have a few observations which may help:
  • The 3G TL does not appear to be very rust prone; the worst car I saw in my shopping had some rust on the left rear quarter panel, however, upon closer analysis, the quarter panel in question had clearly been replaced early in the car's life.
  • I found a quick way to get a feel for the amount of rust on the car overall was to look at the strut tower brace behind the engine; for whatever reason, that brace seems to show rust before the rest of the car.
  • I found southern cars were more likely to have paint issues and cracks in the dashboard over the passenger side airbag.
  • The car I ended up with spent it's entire life licensed in New England (Massachusetts), however, given how completely rust free it was (including the brace), the odds on bet is it was either garaged all winter, or spent it's winters in the south.

All very good points. I think my main concern is flying up there and then the car sucks lol. I willl make sure to look at the strut tower more often when checking these out.

Yeah, I am sure we get a lot of cracked dashes with the heat. It sometimes gets to be 100 here so in the sun I have to imagine that interior is easily pushing 130, especially if it's black.

This car is meant to be a birthday gift for me, which is in April. I think I am going to look the next 4 months locally (200-300 miles) and if I still can't find one then I will start thinking about flying out to get one.

I guess if I had to get one far away I could have the place it's take it to an Acura dealer for a PPI (which I would do anyway with a local one).

Curious3GTL 01-07-2019 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16360548)
Yeah, that was a nice car! Love the anthracite!

I see you're in Mississippi. I actually have a friend in Mobile, AL. I did a 200 search near him and there's not ONE TL with a manual in the radius. I told him if one pops up I'd fly down and we can get it and hangout.

He said lifted trucks are what's popular there.

BreezyTL 01-07-2019 09:52 AM

Is it spring yet... Mine may be up for sale this summer once I pull it out of storage. Then again seeing it in the garage again, I may have a change of heart!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...2c8fdd8706.jpg

Curious3GTL 01-07-2019 10:14 AM

Holy. Fuck.

That is beautiful! If you put it up for sale let me know!

DTvn 01-07-2019 10:41 AM

Have you seen this one? https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto...770358800.html

Midnight Mystery 01-07-2019 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by DTvn (Post 16360585)

Right Here^^^^^

Midnight Mystery 01-07-2019 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL (Post 16360559)
I see you're in Mississippi. I actually have a friend in Mobile, AL. I did a 200 search near him and there's not ONE TL with a manual in the radius. I told him if one pops up I'd fly down and we can get it and hangout.

He said lifted trucks are what's popular there.

Not many here. There was a nice modded black TL TypeS on Craigslist in Jackson, but that was a month ago.

I saw a KBP TypeS 6 speed a few weeks ago and got WAY too excited, lol!

I'm from New Orleans, lived in a small town south if Jackson for a couple of years, then, suddenly things got weird, so I went to Hattiesburg, then Gulfport where I'm job hunting, and not having much luck yet.

I'm not very familiar with Mobile, but I do intend to check it out one day.

Curious3GTL 01-07-2019 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by DTvn (Post 16360585)

I have, thanks. I am actually in the process of trying to figure out what's going on with that one. It's also listed at a dealership. https://www.mymrauto.com/2007_Acura_...C_25058999.veh

It's the same car but with different pictures taken of it. Not sure what's going on....

I am still waiting to hear back a response from the dude on Craigslist selling it.

sweeT n Lo 01-07-2019 07:04 PM

What about this one in NJ?

2008 Acura TL Type-S Sunroof Manual Avenel NJ 27824858

truonghthe 01-07-2019 07:16 PM

I would say if you can pick up a Type S MT. Its the best combo that Acura has to offer and the reliability combo with performance can't be match by any other Acura V6 product (well with the exception of a NA1 or NA2).

The only reason I pick the SSM TL because the deal is too stupid good lol.

DTvn 01-07-2019 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL (Post 16360907)
I have, thanks. I am actually in the process of trying to figure out what's going on with that one. It's also listed at a dealership. https://www.mymrauto.com/2007_Acura_...C_25058999.veh

It's the same car but with different pictures taken of it. Not sure what's going on....

I am still waiting to hear back a response from the dude on Craigslist selling it.

My buddy and some random guy on r/acura went to go check out the car and they both said it was good except it had a stage 3 clutch (don't ask me why). My buddy opted out because he wanted the 2-tone or black interior the other guy wasn't a fan of the heavy clutch. I'm guessing the clutch is the reason it hasn't sold yet so if that's a deal breaker than I wouldn't waste my time making the drive to Charlotte.

08KBP_VA 01-08-2019 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16360547)

Would this be pretty apparent or do I really have to dig deep to see any rust in this instance?

Curious3GTL 01-08-2019 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by DTvn (Post 16361141)
My buddy and some random guy on r/acura went to go check out the car and they both said it was good except it had a stage 3 clutch (don't ask me why). My buddy opted out because he wanted the 2-tone or black interior the other guy wasn't a fan of the heavy clutch. I'm guessing the clutch is the reason it hasn't sold yet so if that's a deal breaker than I wouldn't waste my time making the drive to Charlotte.

Thanks for the info. So apparently the craigslist car and the car dealership car are the same car. The Craigslist guy said he's owned it for 4 months and the dealership is selling it for him. Kind of a red flag for me that he's selling after 4 months?

So this might be a stupid question, but what's a stage 3 clutch and what's the difference between that and an OEM one?

horseshoez 01-08-2019 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA (Post 16361226)
Would this be pretty apparent or do I really have to dig deep to see any rust in this instance?

Apparent; just open the hood and look at the brace.

Midnight Mystery 01-08-2019 07:12 AM

I've sold two, soon three, perfectly good cars after several months just because I wasn't feeling it, or my situation changed. I find it takes me 2 years to fully decide if I love my car or not.

horseshoez 01-08-2019 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL (Post 16361230)
Thanks for the info. So apparently the craigslist car and the car dealership car are the same car. The Craigslist guy said he's owned it for 4 months and the dealership is selling it for him. Kind of a red flag for me that he's selling after 4 months?

So this might be a stupid question, but what's a stage 3 clutch and what's the difference between that and an OEM one?

While there is no formal definition for stages, a good bet it is a single mass flywheel (versus dual mass) with a heavy non-self-adjusting pressure plate.

Midnight Mystery 01-08-2019 07:22 AM

Mind me asking, does that make the clutch want to push back at you? In other words, if the driver doesn't consciously release slowly with linear pressure, it will dump itself and stall? I drove a Suziki that was cable driven, and it was like that.

truonghthe 01-08-2019 07:24 AM

Stage 3 clutch is an immediate red flag for me.

Midnight Mystery 01-08-2019 07:25 AM

There you have it!

horseshoez 01-08-2019 07:26 AM

Not sure what you're asking; it is the same as brakes, press them faster, the grab faster, release a clutch pedal faster, it grabs faster.

Midnight Mystery 01-08-2019 07:31 AM

I meant, does back up against you pushing down? I've heard Hondas usually have a lighter clutch, but you described it as heavy, that's all.

Increased resistince over stock, I mean.

horseshoez 01-08-2019 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16361257)
I meant, does back up against you pushing down? I've heard Hondas usually have a lighter clutch, but you described it as heavy, that's all.

Increased resistince over stock, I mean.

Generally speaking, the heavier the springs are on the pressure plate, the higher the clutch pedal pressure.

Midnight Mystery 01-08-2019 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16361266)
Generally speaking, the heavier the springs are on the pressure plate, the higher the clutch pedal pressure.

Got it! Thanks!

Curious3GTL 01-08-2019 09:34 AM

Yeah, I think after all the reading about the stage 3 clutch I am going to pass. Don't want to get a car I won't like. :)

08KBP_VA 01-08-2019 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16361238)
Apparent; just open the hood and look at the brace.

Ahh thanks. I see thee the issue, remove appearance panels and voila clean and rust free thanks for tip.

DTvn 02-12-2019 11:08 AM

I hope the price is a typo but this one just popped up here

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto...816262967.html

horseshoez 02-12-2019 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by DTvn (Post 16381313)
I hope the price is a typo but this one just popped up here

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto...816262967.html

LOL, $20,000 for that thing? The owner must be high.