lets go!
Old 10-14-2021 | 11:03 AM
TMQ
Pro

Good news!
Old 10-14-2021 | 12:27 PM
®

Integra Type S wish list:
2.0T 300+ HP from CTR (not detuned like in the Accord)
6MT (confirmed)
SHAWD (a must)
MSRP $35K or less

Last edited by loki; 10-14-2021 at 12:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
coop3422 (10-22-2021)
Old 10-14-2021 | 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by loki
Integra Type S wish list:
2.0T 300+ HP from CTR (not detuned like in the Accord)
6MT (confirmed)
SHAWD (a must)
MSRP $35K or less
35K MSRP would be hard. It has to be more than Type R MSRP if you get SH-AWD
coop3422 (10-22-2021)
Old 10-14-2021 | 01:24 PM
Latent car nut

Hmmm, I may need to rethink buying a new Golf R next year.
Old 10-14-2021 | 01:39 PM
®

Originally Posted by Nexx
35K MSRP would be hard. It has to be more than Type R MSRP if you get SH-AWD
True, even $40K is acceptable - BUT; $40K for the Type S with above specs; not base 1.5T CVT. If they make grant total of 2 and dealers charge $10K mark up, forget it. Lately, all car manufacturers are announcing all these new amazing models yet they only exist in their heads and their websites. None of the cars are anywhere to be seen or found. Acura is no exception. They're in full force adverting campaign for 2022 MDX, MDX Type S, RDX, RDX PMC, TLX Type S, etc. and they don't even exist yet or any dates provided. There is a HUGE disconnect between what you can build on Acura website and what you can actually buy.
Old 10-14-2021 | 02:14 PM
®

We're expecting the Integra to share many components with the Honda Civic, so that opens up a few possibilities for which engine will power the new entry-luxury model. The turbo 1.5-liter inline-four from the base Civic and the Si is likely, although we're really hoping that Honda sees fit to install the more powerful turbo 2.0-liter unit from the Civic Type R into a performance-oriented Type S version of the Integra. Both of these engines are already offered with stick-shifts in Civic models, so there's precedent for a row-your-own gearbox. Compared with the Honda, the Integra is likely to have its own unique styling—as we've seen from teaser photos—along with a nicer interior layout. A four-door hatchback is the only body style that's been confirmed so far. All-wheel drive is a likely option, as many of its entry-luxury competitors offer that option, although we're doubtful that you'll be able to pair AWD with the manual. - https://www.caranddriver.com

Prediction:
Integra base = Civic Si 1.5T FWD drivetrain; manual as an option
Integra Type-S = 2.0T SH-AWD drivetrain; automatic only

Last edited by loki; 10-14-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-14-2021 | 03:09 PM
Latent car nut

We're expecting the Integra to share many components with the Honda Civic, so that opens up a few possibilities for which engine will power the new entry-luxury model. The turbo 1.5-liter inline-four from the base Civic and the Si is likely, although we're really hoping that Honda sees fit to install the more powerful turbo 2.0-liter unit from the Civic Type R into a performance-oriented Type S version of the Integra. Both of these engines are already offered with stick-shifts in Civic models, so there's precedent for a row-your-own gearbox. Compared with the Honda, the Integra is likely to have its own unique styling—as we've seen from teaser photos—along with a nicer interior layout. A four-door hatchback is the only body style that's been confirmed so far. All-wheel drive is a likely option, as many of its entry-luxury competitors offer that option, although we're doubtful that you'll be able to pair AWD with the manual. - https://www.caranddriver.com

Prediction:
Integra base = Civic Si 1.5T FWD drivetrain; manual as an option
Integra Type-S = 2.0T SH-AWD drivetrain; automatic only
LOL, well that shoots down any possibility of me buying an Integra over the Golf R; VW at least, is still committed to us "Row Your Own" drivers for the GTI and the Golf R.
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
coop3422 (10-22-2021), loki (10-14-2021)
Old 10-15-2021 | 09:57 AM
Racer

I'm ready to be disappointed - but I just cannot see a world in which it makes sense for Acura to offer what will essentially be a heavier 1.5t Si with leather.

I know that BMW/Audi and Merc all offer ~200 hp sedans for around $33K...I know! But the GTI and WRX and Elantra N-Line...like...those are real actual "sport" vehicles and Honda/Acura seems to have no interest in competing with them in the ~$30,000 price range.

Honda has the hammer in the Type-R, and that's awesome. And the Si offers tremendous value at the bottom of the performance spectrum...they need a "middle-weight" competitor...

What's the point of bringing back the Integra nameplate, bringing back the 6mt...if they aren't going to actually compete with anything or fill in that obvious and massive gap between the $26K Si and the $38K Type-R?

A $32K 2.0t 240 hp 6MT/LSD Integra is just so obviously what they should do it's crazy that they're going to do anything else.

Again - I'm ready to be disappointed. But c'mon Ikeda! If you can't convince the Honda bigwigs of something this obvious then what are you even doing?
coop3422 (10-22-2021)
Old 10-15-2021 | 10:34 AM
®

Originally Posted by iutodd
I'm ready to be disappointed - but I just cannot see a world in which it makes sense for Acura to offer what will essentially be a heavier 1.5t Si with leather.

I know that BMW/Audi and Merc all offer ~200 hp sedans for around $33K...I know! But the GTI and WRX and Elantra N-Line...like...those are real actual "sport" vehicles and Honda/Acura seems to have no interest in competing with them in the ~$30,000 price range.

Honda has the hammer in the Type-R, and that's awesome. And the Si offers tremendous value at the bottom of the performance spectrum...they need a "middle-weight" competitor...

What's the point of bringing back the Integra nameplate, bringing back the 6mt...if they aren't going to actually compete with anything or fill in that obvious and massive gap between the $26K Si and the $38K Type-R?

A $32K 2.0t 240 hp 6MT/LSD Integra is just so obviously what they should do it's crazy that they're going to do anything else.

Again - I'm ready to be disappointed. But c'mon Ikeda! If you can't convince the Honda bigwigs of something this obvious then what are you even doing?
"I just cannot see a world in which it makes sense for Acura to offer what will essentially be a heavier 1.5t Si with leather." - Did you not notice the TLX 2.0T 10AT FWD that is 4200lbs while the same exact powertrain can be had for far less money (and ironically, more options) in the Accord 2.0T 10AT Touring (3300 lbs)? Tech trim is nearly $10K more than Touring and doesn't have same options (like HUD and adaptive dampers)...

This is what Honda has been doing for years. There's so many illogical choices that it makes you wonder just how bad do the designers/engineers and managers hate each other because the disconnect between ideas and prototypes and final products is comically large.

Last edited by loki; 10-15-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-15-2021 | 11:56 AM
Advanced

Let's be realistic, any Type-S or Type R Integra is going to go for a Premium. $15-20K above whatever Acura decides to price it at. That is unless Acura makes more than enough. Even the base models will start out with a $5-$10K Markup.
Old 10-15-2021 | 12:15 PM
Racer

"I just cannot see a world in which it makes sense for Acura to offer what will essentially be a heavier 1.5t Si with leather." - Did you not notice the TLX 2.0T 10AT FWD that is 4200lbs while the same exact powertrain can be had for far less money (and ironically, more options) in the Accord 2.0T 10AT Touring (3300 lbs)? Tech trim is nearly $10K more than Touring and doesn't have same options (like HUD and adaptive dampers)...

This is what Honda has been doing for years. There's so many illogical choices that it makes you wonder just how bad do the designers/engineers and managers hate each other because the disconnect between ideas and prototypes and final products is comically large.
To me that's a different situation - a 2.0t is the expected base engine for that price and class of car. The fact that it's heavy is immaterial to the actual powertrain and price decisions. Also the feature sets are also immaterial here - more expensive cars are more expensive than less expensive cars.

And Acura can justify a 1.5t+8DCT based on cars like the A220, A3 and BMW 228i. But they CANNOT justify a 6MT 1.5T because of cars that already exist. It's just different and Acura should be able to realize that. You don't bring back the Integra nameplate and a 6MT to the lineup if you're just going to put out a heavier Si with leather. Just keep the ILX nameplate. We'll see. Again I'm fully prepared to be disappointed.
coop3422 (10-22-2021)
Old 10-15-2021 | 01:18 PM
Racer

Also - I gotta say...

If the engine note in the video showing the 6MT is real, which it seems to be...it doesn't really sound at all like the L15 Turbo in the Si...
Old 10-15-2021 | 01:35 PM
Instructor

last I checked, FWD TLX's are 3,700 - 3,800 lbs. it's the Type S that weighs 4,200.
Old 10-15-2021 | 01:43 PM
®

Also - I gotta say...

If the engine note in the video showing the 6MT is real, which it seems to be...it doesn't really sound at all like the L15 Turbo in the Si...
To me that's a different situation - a 2.0t is the expected base engine for that price and class of car. The fact that it's heavy is immaterial to the actual powertrain and price decisions. Also the feature sets are also immaterial here - more expensive cars are more expensive than less expensive cars.

And Acura can justify a 1.5t+8DCT based on cars like the A220, A3 and BMW 228i. But they CANNOT justify a 6MT 1.5T because of cars that already exist. It's just different and Acura should be able to realize that. You don't bring back the Integra nameplate and a 6MT to the lineup if you're just going to put out a heavier Si with leather. Just keep the ILX nameplate. We'll see. Again I'm fully prepared to be disappointed.
I am 100% sure it will be 1.5T 6MT carryover from the Si parts bin. I am 1000% sure. Not a doubt in my mind. It doesn't sound like the current Si that's been discontinued. Wait until we see the new Si next month - it will be this same sound, maybe little amplified (artifically) in the Integra. It's just a play with name plate, IT IS the new gen ILX, but let's bring back Integra name to get people excited so we can do our mission statement: overpromise and underdeliver.

We will see the 8DCT/10AT but not on the 1.5T. It will be on the Integra Type S 2.0T SHAWD.

Originally Posted by EzeE1o
last I checked, FWD TLX's are 3,700 - 3,800 lbs. it's the Type S that weighs 4,200.
My mistake (for real, not being sarcastic).
Old 10-18-2021 | 07:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Just my 2 cents.

First, I don't think there's any way Honda is giving Acura the Type-R motor. Even if it's heavier, I still don't believe that Honda will so willingly allow the same motor to be put in the Integra. Type-R = performance ... they're not going to want the Integra Type-S nipping at its heels. I strongly suspect it's going to have the same engine as the RDX/TLX, if not something even less powerful.

Second, the fact that it's going to be available with FWD is a sure fire sign that this won't be a SH-AWD platform. This is Acura we're talking about. A small-fry operation by most auto manufacturer's standards. They don't have the funds, resources or development to spend on a platform that will likely last for a generation to retrofit a manual into their SH-AWD drivetrain. Another big clue is that it's going to be based on the Civic chassis, and again, they're not going to spend to develop a way to get SH-AWD to work with it.

Third, I would very much think the Type-S is going to sticker at just under $40k ($39.5k) to start ... and we all know what dealers are going to do with them. Good luck finding one for under $50k the first year they're out ... I'd expect you to have an easier time finding a cheaper TLX Type-S by the the time they're out.