Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

2006 RSX - first steps for mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:39 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2006 RSX - first steps for mods

Good morning, all...

I just picked up a beautiful 2006 Acura RSX base model in Nighthawk Black Pearl with 47K on the odo.

I'm wondering if I should be regretting my decision to not get a Type-S, as I was definitely after the
automatic transmission (a la Tiptronic). The Type-S already has 202/201 hp, and the mods that are available definitely
seem to be more geared to the Type S.

Don't get me wrong, the car is very fast, and it turns heads, but I'm looking for a little extra. Short
of selling my base model and buying a Type-S...what are the first steps I should do for mods? I'm hoping to
get up to about 200 horses on this car; I'm not even sure if that's a doable number.

I've heard lots of conflicting advice (catless race headers; yes, they're great vs no, they void the catylitic
converter) short ram intake vs cold air intake, the list goes on. Maybe my driving habits will help in this decision.

My RSX will be a daily driver. I'm up here in Seattle; lots of cloudy days and very few hot ones. It's a hilly city with lots of one-way streets and poorly laid out stop signs/lights. Lots of waiting, if you catch my drift. On the weekends, I like to get out, go driving around and open her up. Twisty, hilly roads interspersed with long straightaways.

I don't necessarily want it to sound super loud, either. I want the wow factor to be in the engine and the response, not the sound of the car; that's a Pyrrhic victory.

This is what I've found so far (and PLEASE pitch in/correct me if this is false/bad information).

cat-back exhaust (whatever that is)
421 headers (ditto)
throttle bore
cold air intake
OR
short ram intake
new camshafts
chipping
etc, etc... and on the heels of all this, if I'm making a ton of mods to the engine, don't I have to upgrade the brakes/cooling/suspension accordingly? Too much engine and not enough car will end up broken on the driveway, and with a RSX, that just won't do.

Thanks again for everyone's input...and please...be gentle with me. lol

Scott
Old 08-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
if you're going to be modding I'd go with a type-s. That is only if you're absolutely bent on grabbing highest HP platform to start.
Sport shifting is fun n all but don't settle for less, get a type-s

Look at this thread and note the differences between to 04 base to 05 base, and the 04 S to the 05 S. Hope that helps.
https://acurazine.com/forums/integra-188/project-rsx-866509/