ILX Tires - experiences/recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 02:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
ILX Tires - experiences/recommendations.

So lets compare/share tire experiences on the Acura ILX.
Alright, so I have used all Michelin brand so far on the car, but I'm not against any other good rubber.

Since i am a cheap mofo, I used Black Friday to get some needed tires from Discount Tire. Someone on here tried to tell me that it was not possible to get top rubber for "cheap" LOL.

1) Costco has a $70 discount, I believe through December, on all Michelin and Bridgestone tires.

2) I made Discount Tire (America's Tires, same place) price match the Costco sale price. They always have price match in effect. How much will vary. Try different locations. TECHNICALLY, they weren't supposed to price match the Costco sale price. But I'm a pretty good negotiator. I'm firm, friendly, and fair. Unless I can see they are unreasonable, then I just leave. It's not that serious to get stupid or agitated over.

3) For Black Friday, (and apparently other big sales days/weekends as well), Discount Tire has "stack-able" deals. So they had up to $100 rebates on a set of 4 tires rated as "best", $75 for better, and so on. IF the tire also had another rebate going, (manufacturer) then you could ALSO get that rebate.

4)They also have a Discount Tire store card, I could have saved $60 more bucks on rebate. But I just didn't want that stupid card.

I was thinking of getting these bad boys at the time, if they wouldn't price match Costco. Costco sells a lot less brands, they don't sell Goodyear.
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season
215 /45ZR17 91W XL

It had an $80 manufacturer rebate, and also the $100 Black Friday rebate. For 4 came it came out to $755 out the door. But would have been $575 after both rebates.

http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/fin...cs=215&ra=filt

I wanted a high performance or ultra high performance, all season tire. I mod my 6spd, time for some fun rubber.
Went with these.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
215/45ZR17 91W XL

http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/fin...171&vid=022502

Grip/performance is WAY more improved. No chirping at all. And the tires aren't even close to being broken in. Road noise definitely increased. MPG appears to be a little lower, but there's a few mods going on right now on the car also affecting MPG, can report more on that later on.

Normal out the door price at Discount Tire is $742. Price match to Costco $642. Plus $100 rebate, final price will be $542, out the door. Installed, lifetime balance and rotation, old tires disposal fee, manufacturer included warranty, didn't feel like buying the "extended road hazerd warranty certs" they offer. So In the end, I beat Costco by $100, and will get $200 off of the normal Discount Tire out the door price.

One manager kept bitching about the deal even AFTER I had already paid... HAHA fuckers! That's when you know you got them good. They'll be fine without my individual cash.

I have also used the Michelin Primacy MXM4. Its quieter, grippier, and lasted longer then the stock tire, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. I believe it is being phased out for the Primacy.

I'm hoping the road noise goes down a little when the tires break in, I don't mind, but I know passengers do. Also not a fan of the lowered MPG. HUGE fan of the performance jump. The car handles WAY better, can't wait til it's broken in!

Would not recommend if you can't handle the road noise and/or MPG drop. I'm not sure how much it has actually dropped. ECU needs to readjust for this and my header too. Maybe didn't drop much at all? Right before I changed tires my tire pressure was low too, so my MPG was crap from like 3 or 4 things affecting it.

I was also looking at these -

Bridgestone Potenza RE97 AS
Supposedly fuel efficient, and Costco also had them, so could have done the $200 discount thing too. BUT, I'm not sure they had these in stock at DT/AT... Anyway, probably a great tire, especially if it helps you keep some MPG. Rated as one the "Best" tires at DT/AT.

I believe in building the car as evenly as possible. Example - no point in a huge turbo upgrade with stock suspension. I'm also looking at getting dedicated summer wheels and tires. Living in California, it's pretty great weather, but I could see I'd probably split it roughly from November-February-ish for the A/S, and then roughly March-October-ish, for the aftermarket wheels and summer tires.

First I think it's time for some Hondata already tho, to put these tires to use!
Is the Pilot Sport A/S 3 the New Benchmark for All-Season Tires? (05:30)

What have you guys tried? Recommend?

Last edited by aomechmarine; 12-01-2015 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Think about it. I could have gotten those tires for as low as $482 - if I had gotten the store card. PFFFT No cheap rubber? You have not met the likes of me, good sir. This came up when people were comparing model trims. I said its not worth going for the trim with upsized wheels and tires. Said you could get better rubber and way better looking wheels for a lot cheaper. I stand by this statement.