AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   ILX Tires, Wheels & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-tires-wheels-suspension-428/)
-   -   brake pads and rotors replacement (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-tires-wheels-suspension-428/brake-pads-rotors-replacement-968853/)

crazyvlad 04-10-2018 09:03 PM

brake pads and rotors replacement

was wondering whether to use acura/honda parts or aftermarket for the brake pads and rotors replacement...was planning to install best aftermarket parts i can find. but is there any real advantage to using acura/honda parts? for acura ilx 2.4l 2018 dynamic 6 speed manual

frankjnjr 04-11-2018 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by crazyvlad (Post 16216494)
was wondering whether to use acura/honda parts or aftermarket for the brake pads and rotors replacement...was planning to install best aftermarket parts i can find. but is there any real advantage to using acura/honda parts? for acura ilx 2.4l 2018 dynamic 6 speed manual

FWIW: Not sure about user experience on the ilx model, but I can relate my experience with OEM rotors and pads on my 2G TLS. I installed new OEM Honda rotors and pads on my 2003 TLS two years ago, making sure to bed them in properly. Within 15.000 miles of service, it was necessary to have the rotors trued, after 5,800 miles use, due to pulsation. Pulsation issues occurred again, at 10.800 miles, at which time I had the rotors resurfaced, and installed new OEM Honda pads. Now, at 14,900 miles of use, the brakes are beginning to pulsate again. I drive my car very, very conservatively, with perhaps 75% highway operation, so in my case, OEM Honda rotors and pads offer sub-standard service. I will not use OEM Honda brake products in the future!

crazyvlad 04-11-2018 12:39 PM

thx so much...will use best quality aftermarket parts money can buy

Chrifff 04-11-2018 11:58 PM

Go with the MASSIVE BIG BRAKE KITS!!! Hahaha, I wish - Really the cost of a large big brake kit is not worth the money in performance gains, however if you wanted to swap out the rotors and pads it is a little messy, but not that hard of a job to do. I did to my 2008 Honda Civic SI, the car looked great with slotted and cross drilled rotors - But I used stock sizes. I would say the performance gains were nominal.

INTEG- 05-07-2018 12:47 AM

I got a 2016 acura ilx. I had the dealership warranty my brakes 3 times. First time they resurfaced the rotor. Second time they replaced my rotor and pads, Third time they resurfaced the rotor and replaced pads. The screeching sound did not go away either if we drove it or the dealership drove it. I decided to purchase EBC slotted rotors from THMOTORSPORTS website and reuse the new pads after resurfacing. Been driving on these for about a month and no complaints. The brakes still feel the same but they don't make noise compared to OEM rotors.

chewymilk98 06-22-2018 11:11 AM

I know this is an old-ish post. But I just replaced the rotors, pads and hoses with StopTeck parts. They are sooooo much better than stock. I've only managed to set them on fire once (besides when I was bedding them in)
The only real downside, is the dust like crazy. Like once a week cleaning.

LazyAcura 12-07-2018 08:55 AM

i agree with the above. Stoptechs are GREAT for street or track use. OEM were good for everyday use and longevity of the pads, but aftermarket Stoptechs, you notice significantly the difference in performance.

But they certainly will not last as long as the OEM's or any other OEM equivalent.