2016 ILX A-Spec w/ 16 inch rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:08 AM
Automotive Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow 2016 ILX A-Spec w/ 16 inch rims

So the last 2 winters I mounted winter tires to the A-spec rims and I'm not liking the ride quality in the snow with 18 inch rims. Snow and ice build up in the rims plus the dam pot holes are hard to see covered in snow. I want to find a 16 inch rim that will fit over the front calipers. There must be an alloy with just the right design that will fit?

For the summer in have these mounted to the factory A-Spec rims and its great -> https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...e&autoModClar=

Still gotta watch the dam pot holes but at least I can see them in the summer

Last edited by Pir8pete; 07-26-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure 16 will fit but you can try to find a Honda/Acura with 16in wheels from family and friends. The spare tire uses a 17in wheel, not sure about the 2013-2015. The 2016+ got bigger brake rotors so it might need more clearance.

How are you liking the P Zero All Season Plus tires in terms of ride quality and road noise? I also have a 2016 Aspec and first went with the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus but found them to be too soft since the closest size available is 225/45R18. They did ride great and are so much quieter than the OEM Continentals. I used the Pirelli Confidence Plus plan to switch to the P Zero All Season Plus. They do ride a lot firmer, about the same as OEM, but turn in is so much better. They are significantly quieter than OEM on rough roads but I'm not sure if they're as quiet as the P7s. I also noticed that the P Zero All Season Plus run really narrow compared to the P7s and Continentals. The P7s definitely looked the best on the OEM wheel.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
Going to 16" rims might be a bit of a stretch, but if it is close you could try picking up some spacers which might push out the rims enough for the clearance? Wheel spacers are relatively cheap, and it might give your stock rims a more of a flush look in the summer months as well!
Old 11-06-2017, 04:35 AM
Automotive Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow size dilemma still

With winter approaching and needing 4 new tires, I'm going with the Bridgestore Blizzak WS80 again, but I really want to down size the rims a far as I can. Roads are not good to low profile rims and the harshness on the suspension having tires with zero give is taking the life out of the shocks fast, plus the snow gets built up in the rims and throws the balance off till I pressure washed it out. I've even had ice build up when driving in a big snow fall that spins around on the caliper taking the black paint off the inside of the rim.

The Bridgestone Blizzak SW80 are one of the best winters tires and they make a wide variety of sizes. Ive owned both the WS80 and Xice and these are a touch better in deep snow.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...l=Blizzak+WS80

I've seen the new 2017 accord with small factory rims, I might have to walk around the dealership parking lot with a measuring tape. Is the ILX calipers bigger then the accords? I would have thought Honda would have made them the same.

Last edited by Pir8pete; 11-06-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Pir8pete
With winter approaching and needing 4 new tires, I'm going with the Bridgestore Blizzak WS80 again, but I really want to down size the rims a far as I can. Roads are not good to low profile rims and the harshness on the suspension having tires with zero give is taking the life out of the shocks fast, plus the snow gets built up in the rims and throws the balance off till I pressure washed it out. I've even had ice build up when driving in a big snow fall that spins around on the caliper taking the black paint off the inside of the rim.

The Bridgestone Blizzak SW80 are one of the best winters tires and they make a wide variety of sizes. Ive owned both the WS80 and Xice and these are a touch better in deep snow.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...l=Blizzak+WS80

I've seen the new 2017 accord with small factory rims, I might have to walk around the dealership parking lot with a measuring tape. Is the ILX calipers bigger then the accords? I would have thought Honda would have made them the same.
You can try checking the Honda website and look at the specs, sometimes it will show how big they are? I have the Blizzaks as well, they are a decent winter tire, my second choice was the Michelin Xice 3's. Spacers can be pretty cheap and aid in the look of your vehicle, that could also avoid any scratching from the caliper and the rims.