20' Inch Rims?? 2016 Acura Ilx (A-Spec)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 12:45 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
20' Inch Rims?? 2016 Acura Ilx (A-Spec)

Im new to forums In general, so forgive me If I dont follow a certain format. With that being said, Ive been trying to get these 20' Inch rims for about 3 months now due to them being out of stock.

https://www.carid.com/lexani-wheels/cyclone-gloss-black-with-machined-accents-235444400.html

Ill just jump straight to the point, am I reaching here? Ive read up on rims "rubbing" when their too tight of a fit. Im not your average car enthusiast, so my knowledge In this area Is limited. Id rather have 20' Inch rims, just the type of person I am, but If that dosent work out.............. will 19' Inch rims be more plausible?

-What are the pros and cons to having 20' Inch rims vs 19' Inch rims?
-Will I have to get some type of modification for these to fit, If so what?

Old 02-17-2018, 05:52 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Hey Casper,

There's one major con about going to a 20" wheel. It's heavy. Which will ruin the handling characteristics of the car and your fuel mileage will go down.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:54 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 435 Likes on 321 Posts
Im not familiar with what fits the ilx but carid.com seems to guarantee that those rims in 20x8.5 will fit which sounds right. Im sure other ilx owners could speak to fitment better.

Pro to 20 is it will look much better. Con it will decrease performance.

1 inch different isn't exactly a night and day difference though.

Until horseshoez gets here and says it will make ur car handle like a Zamboni.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:57 AM

With that being said; knowing the extra weight will add a little extra drag, if you want the 20", go for it!

I think the wheel you chose matches the character of the ILX. Kinda sharp and angular..and honestly kinda cool looking!
Old 02-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
Im not familiar with what fits the ilx but carid.com seems to guarantee that those rims in 20x8.5 will fit which sounds right. Im sure other ilx owners could speak to fitment better.

Pro to 20 is it will look much better. Con it will decrease performance.

1 inch different isn't exactly a night and day difference though.

Until horseshoez gets here and says it will make ur car handle like a Zamboni.
Who Is "horseshoez?" Im assuming hes the one who know more about cars?

Thanks, Go Hard or Go Home! 😉😎
CarId guarantees fitment but Im more so concerned about "rubbing" issues when I drive over a pothole or speed bump. Id ask one of the sales representatives, but theyre speaking from a call center and more than likely dont know the answers. Performance/Fuel Economy Isnt too much of an issue for me, considering my last car gave me 23/24mpg.

If you guys need more pictures, just let me know. I have plenty..
Old 02-17-2018, 11:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
With that being said; knowing the extra weight will add a little extra drag, if you want the 20", go for it!

I think the wheel you chose matches the character of the ILX. Kinda sharp and angular..and honestly kinda cool looking!
Thank you, I chose the rim because Its looks like the stock Acura wheel.. but more "sharp" (as you said).
CarId told me within 30 - 60 days theyll be In stock... hopefully. 😒

My last vehicle had 20' Inch rims on It as well, so Im no stranger to the "extra drag."

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE, was totaled out due to an elderly woman who cut me off while It was raining. I braked hard, but slide foward and rear ended her. Thank god for the dashcam, she was given the citation but I was stuck with rentals for the next 3 months (..and the bill), til I found this beauty. Im really Into customisation, Ill post a couple pictures...

Old 02-17-2018, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
Well it seems like you are used to having 20" rims so you should be fine with them. Really there is no gain in having 20's except for cosmetics ( and really there really should not be any other reason), however the downsides are more safety and performance (besides higher cost of the rims and rubber):
1) Heavier wheels means more unsprung weight = potentially different steering performance
2) Lower sidewalls = higher chance of obviously curbing the rims as well as more of a chance of warping a rim going over a pot hole or bumps at speed. Less sidewalls mean less protection.
3) If you are a speed demon, well less twisting tread grip when you stomp on it. This one is less of an issue unless you put more serious pow-a to the wheels and launch the car!

Just some of the cons for the 20" rim mod, but hey none of that matters if you are not a crazy driver and are careful!

Enjoy and best of luck to you Caspar
Old 02-17-2018, 02:03 PM

Oof, hopefully the extra weight didn't attribute to the accident, as braking distances decrease with heavy wheels
Old 02-17-2018, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Oof, hopefully the extra weight didn't attribute to the accident, as braking distances decrease with heavy wheels
Good point! Didnt think about that, but I want to say It was because It had just begun raining (about 2 minutes In). You know they say at the begining of rainfall, Its the most dangerous time to drive. I believe Its because the oil has yet to mix with the rain on the road, so grip of the tire would be slippery. I might be Incorrect..

..I do see your point there. 🤔
Old 02-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chrifff
Well it seems like you are used to having 20" rims so you should be fine with them. Really there is no gain in having 20's except for cosmetics ( and really there really should not be any other reason), however the downsides are more safety and performance (besides higher cost of the rims and rubber):
1) Heavier wheels means more unsprung weight = potentially different steering performance
2) Lower sidewalls = higher chance of obviously curbing the rims as well as more of a chance of warping a rim going over a pot hole or bumps at speed. Less sidewalls mean less protection.
3) If you are a speed demon, well less twisting tread grip when you stomp on it. This one is less of an issue unless you put more serious pow-a to the wheels and launch the car!

Just some of the cons for the 20" rim mod, but hey none of that matters if you are not a crazy driver and are careful!

Enjoy and best of luck to you Caspar
Yes sir, once you go rims Its hard to go back. Even though the funny part Is those 20' Inch rims on the Passat were actually cheaper then stock rims for that vehicle. I found that to be truely humorous. The rims Im trying to get for the Acura, unfortunately cost a litte more than stock... but Ill live.

In regards to the "speed demon", lol... Lets just say I have my moments. This Acura will get me In trouble If I dont chill out though, I need to heed my own advice. Most I do Is gas It to get In front of people. Im not the street racing type, for example If you hit 60+ mph on a 45 road, Im stopping at 60/55 mph and youd be racing by yourself from that point on. Much of a street race? Nahhh..

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable though, would I need to get a springs or a suspension kit because of the rubbing issues? As 20' Inches Is the maxium for a stock Acura.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
wtf
Old 02-19-2018, 10:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Caspar
Im stopping at 60/55 mph and youd be racing by yourself from that point on. Much of a street race?
get a lot of 4-ways, eh?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by usdmJON
wtf
Not your style? Why comment? 🤔🤔🤔
Old 02-19-2018, 10:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DaIll1
get a lot of 4-ways, eh?
Meh... Yeah, life right outside of the big city. Eastside of Atlanta..
Old 02-19-2018, 10:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 172 Posts
Meh... Yeah, life right outside of the big city. Eastside of Atlanta..
Meant 4-way flashers, because they won.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DaIll1
Meant 4-way flashers, because they won.
Ohh, lmao. Yeah, I see those often. I dont have racing wheels on the car anyway, so I dont know what theyre expecting. Purely Cosmetics..

I do take some responsibility though, sometimes Ill just gas It at the green light.. but who dosent?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Not your style? Why comment? 🤔🤔🤔
My WTF was less about style and more the conversation.

1. Not rims. A rim is part of a wheel. You are buying wheels.

2. If 20in wheels are cheaper than stock wheels it is because the 20in wheels are cheap and probably not tested to be safe while the stock wheels were. You 100% get what you pay for here.

3. The ILX shouldnt get anyone in trouble. Its slow as fuck and cops see them as chick cars/ young business types/ just a carolla.

4. Suspension kit will not reduce rubbing. Unless you meant a lift kit. Otherwise suspension mods are going to make it rub more.

If you care at all about my opinion, fine if you dont. Id say go 19in wheels. 19s IMO will look better than dubs and allow for a slight drop. The 20s you wont be able to go much lower if at all and if you arent lowering these cars they look like carollas. Im curious what your price range is. With that info I could try and help find some legit 19in wheels from a reputable company instead of some purely cosmetic 20in weights to add to all 4 corners.

If you want to see an ILX on 20s check out Ragd's hoopty ass ILX.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by usdmJON
4. Suspension kit will not reduce rubbing. Unless you meant a lift kit. Otherwise suspension mods are going to make it rub more.

If you care at all about my opinion, fine if you dont. Id say go 19in wheels. 19s IMO will look better than dubs and allow for a slight drop. The 20s you wont be able to go much lower if at all and if you arent lowering these cars they look like carollas. Im curious what your price range is. With that info I could try and help find some legit 19in wheels from a reputable company instead of some purely cosmetic 20in weights to add to all 4 corners.

If you want to see an ILX on 20s check out Ragd's hoopty ass ILX.
..Well okay, what are the pros and cons to a lift kit? I had honestly never considered that. Ive always thought that lowering your car was mostly cosmetic as well. I know It has some postives, as you being closer to the ground, better grip on the road plus It being more aerodynamic. Im not a racer though, so these things arent too much Important to me.

I listen to everyones opinion, you can gain experience from every different perspective. With that being said, Im okay with my vehicle looking like a "Corolla." Ive been noticing that a lot lately. If anything, Its a stretched out Corolla and a refurbished Lexus.

I dont necessarily have a price range, I believe whatever looks appealing on the Acura (to me) Is the one Ill choose to go with. Ive already put down a $100 deposit on the rims until theyre In stock and shipped out, so those WILL be the ones I get mounted on the vehicle around mid-march.

Also what "Ragd's hoopty ass ILX" are you referring to? Drop a direct link for me?
Old 02-23-2018, 09:22 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Ive already put down a $100 deposit on the rims until theyre In stock and shipped out, so those WILL be the ones I get mounted on the vehicle around mid-march.
I think what the well meaning folks on your threads are trying to say is do yourself a huge favor and tell the folks you ordered the 20s from you've changed your mind and would like to switch your order to 19s. If you don't then you are playing the guinea pig game where you and your car is the guinea pig.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by horseshoez
you are playing the guinea pig game where you and your car is the guinea pig.
Sheshh.. That caught my attention. 😕😞
Why do you say "guinea pig?" Im just really Into cosmetcis, but Im not understanding the complete difference between 19's and 20's.

..Excuse my Ignorance for asking repetitive questions, but I really just dont get It and would love some proper clarity.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:52 AM

Sheshh.. That caught my attention. ����
Why do you say "guinea pig?" Im just really Into cosmetcis, but Im not understanding the complete difference between 19's and 20's.

..Excuse my Ignorance for asking repetitive questions, but I really just dont get It and would love some proper clarity.
it took me 5 years to learn about wheels and their specs and tires.
Now, I'm a tire nerd. I love summer tires and the upgraded traction they provide while keeping the car's handling intact.

by guinea pig he means you will be experimenting, because you will be the first to document your trials and tribulations of getting a non-ideal wheels on the ILX.

again, it took me 5 years to figure out widths, offsets, and height adjustments.
equipping your car with aftermarket wheels and tires ISNT plug and play...
there's a lot that goes into it.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 AM
Advanced

by guinea pig he means you will be experimenting, because you will be the first to document your trials and tribulations of getting a non-ideal wheel on the ILX.
Well I understand the aspect of the word, lol. Im saying with all the backlash Im receiving, Im just not entirely understanding the negative point of view.. other then performance...

They dont even make the rim I would like In 19's, but Lexani seems like a reputable brand. I doubt Ill have Issues outside of potholes and flat tires. Only thing Im concerned about Is the tire rubbing up on the inside of the wheel well (not sure what to call it?? 😕&#129300 when I go over bumps or have extra weight In the backseats.

Other then that, every professional I ask says It will fit and I shouldnt have any Issues. Am I missing something? 😐🤔
Old 02-23-2018, 10:03 AM
Advanced

How do I edit posts from the mobile version?
Old 02-23-2018, 10:08 AM

They dont even make the rim I would like In 19's, but Lexani seems like a reputable brand. I doubt Ill have Issues outside of potholes and flat tires. Only thing Im concerned about Is the tire rubbing up on the inside of the wheel well (not sure what to call it?? 😕&#129300 when I go over bumps or have extra weight In the backseats.
if that happens; you picked the wrong wheel specs!!! lol
that's the whole point of this convo!
you have to pick the right specs for your car, or else you will get rubbing!!!
Old 02-23-2018, 10:12 AM
Latent car nut

With the 19" wheels you can find tires (245/30 R19) which will maintain the correct overall tire diameter so your odometer and speedometer remain relatively accurate. That said, it still remains to be seen if rubbing on the inner fenders will happen when the steering wheel is turned to full lock.

FWIW, TireRack.com does a pretty good job of only offering "Plus Sizes" which will fit any given car; they offer a 19" size where the wheels have an offset in the 35mm to 45mm range, however, they offer exactly zero 20" packages. Why? If for no other reason than 20" tires cannot be purchased with a 25.1" diameter (the closest I coud find would be 235/30 R20 which have a diameter of 25.4).
Old 02-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Latent car nut

I doubt Ill have Issues outside of potholes and flat tires. Only thing Im concerned about Is the tire rubbing up on the inside of the wheel well (not sure what to call it?? 😕&#129300 when I go over bumps or have extra weight In the backseats.
Hmmm, interesting comment from someone who already crashed a car with oversized wheels on it. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking if you'd had the OEM wheels on the car you may well have been able to either avoid the accident altogether, or at least slow enough to minimize the damage to the point where your car wasn't totaled. Said another way, I believe the extra distance it took to slow your VW due to the additional rotational mass of the wheels on it may have been a contributing factor to the extent of the damage.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Hmmm, interesting comment from someone who already crashed a car with oversized wheels on it. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking if you'd had the OEM wheels on the car you may well have been able to either avoid the accident altogether, or at least slow enough to minimize the damage to the point where your car wasn't totaled. Said another way, I believe the extra distance it took to slow your VW due to the additional rotational mass of the wheels on it may have been a contributing factor to the extent of the damage.
if that happens; you picked the wrong wheel specs!!! lol
that's the whole point of this convo!
you have to pick the right specs for your car, or else you will get rubbing!!!

Well............ Ill look Into finding some 19's. I get what youre saying, and I understand what Justnspace Is saying as well. I just hope Ill be able to find something. Ill keep you guys posted, I appercaite you guys patience.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:41 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 435 Likes on 321 Posts
It should be noted that due to not knowing the intricacies of your accident, a comment such as this is pure speculation. You could also speculate that since large rims decrease performance, you could have been travelling slower than you otherwise would have been with your oem wheels. Thusly making the accident less bad than it could have been if you were travelling faster on oem wheels. Again pure speculation.

It does seem that there aren't any documented posts on here about the fitment of 20 inch rims on an ilx with no other mods. So you will be a trail blazer in that respect. Its your decision if you want to be the first on here to find out if they rub or not. It will depend on your tire size. But if you got 19s with larger tires they could rub just like 20s with smaller tires.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:51 AM
Advanced

But if you got 19s with larger tires they could rub just like 20s with smaller tires.
.... Dont say that. 😑😑

Here I am thinking that I couldnt go wrong with 19's. Got dammit, so whats the best tire size to choose for 19' inch rims? Assuming Id have to give you the rim size first. Let me do some more research, Ill get back to you.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:53 AM
Advanced

It should be noted that due to not knowing the intricacies of your accident, a comment such as this is pure speculation. You could also speculate that since large rims decrease performance, you could have been travelling slower than you otherwise would have been with your oem wheels. Thusly making the accident less bad than it could have been if you were travelling faster on oem wheels. Again pure speculation.
Im not worried though, everyone giving me advice Is speculating on the matter lol. I know what to look for.. 😏
Old 02-23-2018, 11:00 AM

.... Dont say that. 😑😑

Here I am thinking that I couldnt go wrong with 19's. Got dammit, so whats the best tire size to choose for 19' inch rims? Assuming Id have to give you the rim size first. Let me do some more research, Ill get back to you.
your cars fenders and ride height doesnt change. they are constant.
the only thing you are changing are wheels and tires. they MUST remain the same overall rolling diameter as stock.

the 17's = 24.62" overall diameter
the 18's = 25.09" overall diameter
so, in order to move to a 19" wheel the tire has to be skinner to achieve the same rolling diameter.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Just got off the phone with 3 different tire/rim shops not Including CarID and theyre all saying I shouldnt have any "rubbing" Issues.. Plus the Lexani shop Im buying from In California, so I guess Ill be the first one to install and document having 20's on the Acura.. atleast on this forum.

With that being said, which tire would be best for me to have the least amount of problems? I was told my tire size for the rim Im getting would be "225/30/25", Im not concerned about the price..

On my last vehicle, I went with Toyo Tires Extensa Hp, I have no Idea what "load" or "speed" means. Explanation please?

https://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/tiresbysize/results?width=225&profile=30&dia=20
Old 02-23-2018, 03:02 PM
Advanced

Actually forget that last url, use this one..

https://www.carid.com/tires/225-30-r20/?filter=1&sorter=top-rated&field%5B334082%5D%5B%5D=200941088
Old 02-23-2018, 03:44 PM
Latent car nut

Those tires are only 0.3" greater in diameter than your OEM tires, and while that exceeds my own personal threshold of 0.2", it will not amount to a huge disparity in your speedometer and odometer (just keep in mind both will read a bit low).

Another thing to keep in mind is the approved rim width for those tires is 8.0 inches, so you would need to do a mild stretch to get them to fit on 8.5" wide wheels.

Not to keep harping on the performance issue, but this wheel and tire combination is both significantly heavier than the OEM setup, but it presents your engine, transmission, steering, and brake systems with a significant increase in rotational mass. All three aspects of your vehicle performance will measurably suffer.

Last edited by horseshoez; 02-23-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:12 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you. get the 20s your not worried about the performance. i had 19s on a Passat that rubbed in back it was lowered on eibachs though. 18 was the ticket. Your factory wheels are made better though.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You aren't the first to have 20s on this car. Here's the ILX mentioned earlier:

https://acurazine.com/forums/acura-i...lovers-927112/

This dude did it ok. Lowered on springs with a stretched tire. The wheels he chose are much more attractive than yours. I personally think big wheels on such a small car look toy-like and awful. Check out the large amount nice rides from others who are running 19s and you'll see needing 20s is a gimmick.. Either way, you've ignited some spirited talk on these ILX forums and roused alot of us from the dead.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ilxblt
Do you. get the 20s your not worried about the performance. i had 19s on a Passat that rubbed in back it was lowered on eibachs though.
Got a picture? Im a connoisseur for a particular type of style. 😎
Old 02-23-2018, 11:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TWELVE AM
the wheels he chose are much more attractive than yours. I personally think big wheels on such a small car look toy-like and awful. Check out the large amount nice rides from others who are running 19s and you'll see needing 20s is a gimmick.. Either way, you've ignited some spirited talk on these ILX forums and roused alot of us from the dead.
Ouch.. Aim for the balls why dontchu? 😣😥

Lol, Its all good though, attractiveness Is a matter of perspective. I like to be original and no hate to my mans 'ragde556' but those rims are too basic for me. Lexani even had some rims like that for the same price, but Id like to think my style Is different. Nonetheless, appercaite the comment. 😄👍

Id love to see other rims, but I some how get the feeling that theyd look all the same. Lmao, just the type of vibes Im catching from these car enthusiasts. Everyone here seems to like lowering springs and basic rims.. hope that Isnt taken offensively, I didnt mean anything by It. 😐😶

As for the 20's being a "gimmick", I dont see how. Maybe because youre saying 19's look close to 20's but you keep the performance side of It? Either way... I couldnt find any 19' Inch rims that were my taste. Sooo.. back to my original plan. 😁😅

I appercaite all the comments, I can learn something new from everyone.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Based off this Information, theyre saying that Id need a 245 Instead of a 225. Any advice? Im trying to avoid stretching If I can, also want to stay clear of rubbing.

Recommended Tire Size: 225/30/20

https://www.streetsource.com/threads/115611/mini-truckin-general-good-2253520-tire-fit-20x85

Picture Is from CarID of the rim Ill be mounting. Im not 100% sure what my offset Is. Anyway I could find out?
Old 02-24-2018, 09:32 AM
Latent car nut

At this point I think all of the good advice (and some bad as well) has been offered; good luck on your experiment.