Noticeable (and ANNOYING) vibrations while in drive with A/C on.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 07:18 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noticeable (and ANNOYING) vibrations while in drive with A/C on.

2016 ILX A Spec Here.

I was so excited when I bought the car (used), I didn’t notice that there is a horrible and audible vibration when stopped with foot on the brake and the A/C on. I have been back to the dealer several times and they insist that it is normal and that it is “just how the car is”. But surely Honda engineers could not have been so sloppy in the design, could they?!?!?

Has anyone else noticed this in their ILX? Is there a part I can replace or something I can do to eliminate this or even reduce it? It is embarrassing and highly annoying. A passenger once asked me if my “new” car was “okay”

I’ve given up on dealing with the dealership. They have a habit of gaslighting customers and truly making us feel crazy when we have complaints.

Someone help
Old 08-15-2018, 07:57 AM
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts
It's normal in a 4 cylinder engine to notice the load the engine takes when turning the AC on. You will feel slight vibrations and maybe slight increase in sound coming from engine. This is not something to the level where its unbearable or annoying to live with. Im assuming the car is un messed with as far as modifications and being a newer car, i dont know what it could be so early on. Is this your first honda/acura? Have you had a 4 cylinder before? Did you test drive the car when you bought it?
Old 08-15-2018, 01:27 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by visi_d
It's normal in a 4 cylinder engine to notice the load the engine takes when turning the AC on. You will feel slight vibrations and maybe slight increase in sound coming from engine. This is not something to the level where its unbearable or annoying to live with. Im assuming the car is un messed with as far as modifications and being a newer car, i dont know what it could be so early on. Is this your first honda/acura? Have you had a 4 cylinder before? Did you test drive the car when you bought it?
I had an 8th Gen civic with the 1.8 4 cyl, which was older and had more mileage and the not nearly the same vibration. The only thing I would hear is the vacuum intake noise every 2-3 minutes.

I did test drive the car but I think I was so excited and more focused on the sound system that I didn’t realize how terrible the vibration was.

I guess I’ll just have to deal. The minute I can afford to trade this thing it will be gone tho. 😩
Old 08-16-2018, 07:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I don't notice any vibrations.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:43 PM
9th Gear

Hey man , I also have the same trim you do. And I noticed this as well and in my car the passenger seat would shake. I took it to the dealer since I have warranty on it and they neutralized the motor mounts for me. It kinda worked but I went back Bc it was still bad. This time when the ac is on you feel just a small hint when the compressor kicks in but it goes away it’s really not bad. However the seat still vibrates for me when the AC is off which I find odd.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
I was going to tell you the same, that it sounds like bad motor mounts or also since your car is used, it's possible (although pretty unlikely) the previous owner switched the motor mounts to "race spec" motor mounts, which will do that, too. I even looked into upgrading the motor mounts on my ILX and some guys posted on the 9th gen Civic SI forums that it drove them insane when they turned on AC and were idling. they said it wasn't noticeable while at speed. And as I posted on a different thread . GO. TO. DIFFERENT. DEALERS. STOP. GOING. TO. THE. SAME. ONE. Sign up for at LEAST 2-3 different dealers mailing lists so you can get 2-3 or more service coupons and specials sent to you every once in a while. Even if you like a particular dealer, always get a second opinion. The dealer likes trying to pretend nothing is ever wrong if they would likely have to pay to fix it. And they love exaggerating and overcharging. I'll repeat the story. My sister's TSX needed a new power steering pump. First Acura dealer says $3,500, and it's a death machine. Second dealer (Honda), says $2,000. 3rd guy, my mechanic, says $700, and it's been fixed and no issues at all. I get you guys are under warranty but so what? Go to a Honda dealer, go to a an Acura dealer and get a second opinion. Get a private Acura/Honda mechanic you trust and save money. The dealers in my area are now charging $80 for oil changes on specials with coupons. Honda dealers are at about $50-$60 with coupon. I don't go there anymore, last dealer coupon I used my oil change was $35. My guys charge $35-$50 for oil changes. Or i usually just buy my own premium stuff and give them a $20 bill for labor. Use to be $10, 5 years ago, but EVERYTHING has gone up.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:46 PM
9th Gear

Since last time I commented I have been to the dealer and they had said it was how the car comes. They showed me a newer ILX with only 3k miles and the seat would shake as well. However, I’ve been looking around and people with this issue have suggested raising up the idle Bc it’s simply too low and it makes sense Bc it feels like it’s about to die at points. Does anyone know how to adjust the idle on the ilx though and would it void a warranty?
Old 01-18-2019, 02:08 PM
5th Gear

2018 Acura ILX Premium

I have issues passenger seat vibrates when i stop for sign / signal, the ride also very rough during speeds 50mph.
I went to two dealers , got nothing found, even have a case with ACM(no use). just 4.5k.
What are your suggestions? am gng crazy with this vibration.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:55 PM
9th Gear

I’ve gone in multiple times in for the same problem and they basically told me that they couldn’t do anything because there was no code so the car is technically working properly. I know the type of gas can help I use to use Costco gas but since I switched to Mobil one the vibration has gotten better. Also do you notice if the idle changes when you come to a stop? I noticed the vibration was caused by the idle being in flux while at a stop.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:22 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by eddie A
I’ve gone in multiple times in for the same problem and they basically told me that they couldn’t do anything because there was no code so the car is technically working properly. I know the type of gas can help I use to use Costco gas but since I switched to Mobil one the vibration has gotten better. Also do you notice if the idle changes when you come to a stop? I noticed the vibration was caused by the idle being in flux while at a stop.
Thanks for your response.
​What do you mean by "Also do you notice if the idle changes when you come to a stop? I noticed the vibration was caused by the idle being in flux while at a stop."?
Old 02-28-2019, 05:55 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Dwaraka v
Thanks for your response.
​What do you mean by "Also do you notice if the idle changes when you come to a stop? I noticed the vibration was caused by the idle being in flux while at a stop."?
when I come to a stop a noticed the RPMs are around 750 and they drop to 550 at a stop and that causes the my seats to shake.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:46 PM
5th Gear

Yes!! that is the exact problem, I switched to shell, still having same problems..
Other than changing gas, anything did u do to get away with that issue?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2019, 12:50 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Dwaraka v
Yes!! that is the exact problem, I switched to shell, still having same problems..
Other than changing gas, anything did u do to get away with that issue?

Thanks
unfortunately no it’s still on occurring issue but what I have noticed that only the seats vibrate and everything else in the car is fine. What I am thinking of doing is just taking the seats out and carpet and put In an extra leve of sound material that will hopefully absorb some of that vibration. I already loosened the front tow seats and tighten them back up but tighter than they came and I think it helped just a little bit. I have no actual solution I am just trying things at this point because I have the car ao might as well. I’ll post back once it gets warmer and I get a chance to put in the sound material and see the results otherwise my only advice would be to try loosenin up the front seats and just tighten them back up as much as you can because it did just not enough to completely eliminate it.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 172 Posts
Raising the idle rpm will help with vibration, 4 cylinder cars always vibrate more than cars with more. Ever sit on a running Harley?
Old 03-01-2019, 03:27 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by DaIll1
Raising the idle rpm will help with vibration, 4 cylinder cars always vibrate more than cars with more. Ever sit on a running Harley?
lol yeah it’s a Harley. Those are V twins engines. I know raising the idle would help but I’m not sure how to do that either.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

I'll just link the idle relearn procedure here.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:16 PM
9th Gear

I'll just link the idle relearn procedure here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-izuZvjCh4Q
Did this work for you ? I’m assuming you at least have 16 Or new ilx with this issue and it’s gone now ?
Old 03-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Did this work for you ? I’m assuming you at least have 16 Or new ilx with this issue and it’s gone now ?
I've never had an issue. I knew what I was buying and my '16 is happy.
If you want smooth/vibration free, you need a V or W12.
The video isn't mine.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:37 PM
9th Gear

I've never had an issue. I knew what I was buying and my '16 is happy.
If you want smooth/vibration free, you need a V or W12.
The video isn't mine.
yeah I know it’s not suppose to buttery smooth but I didn’t except for my front seats to visiblely shake and give me a terrible message. I had 09 tsx with a 2.4 L that didn’t do this. My sisters 2.0 L Honda Civic doesn’t even do that so it’s not the 4 cylinder that’s an issue. It’s clearly something else.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:10 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah I know it’s not suppose to buttery smooth but I didn’t except for my front seats to visiblely shake and give me a terrible message. I had 09 tsx with a 2.4 L that didn’t do this. My sisters 2.0 L Honda Civic doesn’t even do that so it’s not the 4 cylinder that’s an issue. It’s clearly something else.
My '11 xb passenger seat would vibrate/rattle if the seat was too upright in a certain position. Getting the seat positioned correctly, stopped the problem.