Check VSA, Hill Start Asssit and Power Steering systems

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 02:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Check VSA, Hill Start Asssit and Power Steering systems

2016 ILX with 61K miles. My gf hit a cement block in NYC on the front right and threw the front alignment totally out of whack. Took it to mechanic over the weekend to get an alignment and they diagnosed a bent tie rod. The tie rod was replaced and the alignment done. Car steers and drives fine. However, I am getting check VSA, check hill start assist and check power steering system warning lights. I told the mechanic that he must have done something because didnt have this issue prior. He said the repair he did wasnt electrical so it's not related. I'm at a loss as to what this is. Any thoughts? They tried resetting the errors and it came back on again. I will have to schedule an appointment at the acura dealer but wanted to get everyone's thoughts.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cc516x:
Big Jimmy (03-27-2022), Renee0225 (09-27-2022)
Old 10-03-2019, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is the fuse multi block that's either blown or not seating properly. Try replacing the fuse block and reseating it again. Let me know if you need more technical details, I would be happy to explain more.
The following users liked this post:
Big Jimmy (03-27-2022)
Old 10-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ilxowner2017
It is the fuse multi block that's either blown or not seating properly. Try replacing the fuse block and reseating it again. Let me know if you need more technical details, I would be happy to explain more.
Thank you so much for your reply. I took the car to Acura dealer and they diagnosed a defective "steering angle sensor" and since the car has 60K miles it wasnt covered under warranty. They quoted over $500 for the part and labor. I said heck no. I looked up the part online and it is only about $62. In any event, I did more research on this issue and i have read that the steering angle sensor needs to be recalibrated. I just dont have one of those fancy obd2 tools that can do it.

In any event, I'm interested in trying your suggestion. Which fuse needs to be replaced? If you can provide more technical details, I would appreciate it!
Big Jimmy (03-27-2022)
Old 10-26-2019, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Hello All. The issue was fixed and I wanted to report back for the benefit of others. To recap, I had front tie rod replaced and front alignment performed on 2016 Ilx. Shortly after the VSA, Power Steering and Hill Assist warning lights came on.

Took it to dealer who claimed it was a defective steering angle sensor and quoted $500+ for parts and labor. I declined the job. I did extensive researched and learned that most likely the steering angle sensor had to be reset/recalibrated. I purchased a scan tool with HDS software preloaded from Amazon (Foxwell NT510 Elite -$179.99). Subsequently, I did a system check with the scan tool and reset all the fault codes. Then i reset steering angle sensor and performed a neutral position memorization procedure. All is fine now and warning lights are gone. I can't believe dealer claimed it was a defective sensor and wanted to replace the part. Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi! i know this post was made a little while ago but, i have pretty much the same issue exept the fact that my abs comes on as well, can you talk me trough the process of how you found out that that tool was the right one for your issue? i do not have the money to spend on an expensive tool like this and not being sure it will be the right fit for me,

Thank you for your help!
Old 08-26-2021, 06:03 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Cc516x
2016 ILX with 61K miles. My gf hit a cement block in NYC on the front right and threw the front alignment totally out of whack. Took it to mechanic over the weekend to get an alignment and they diagnosed a bent tie rod. The tie rod was replaced and the alignment done. Car steers and drives fine. However, I am getting check VSA, check hill start assist and check power steering system warning lights. I told the mechanic that he must have done something because didnt have this issue prior. He said the repair he did wasnt electrical so it's not related. I'm at a loss as to what this is. Any thoughts? They tried resetting the errors and it came back on again. I will have to schedule an appointment at the acura dealer but wanted to get everyone's thoughts.
I'm having the same issue. Ive checked the fuse, its not blown and the part is 1350.00. I ordered thr part from an acura warehouse, the order was canceled in early July because the part was on backorder until mid Aug. Where is this part located in case i can change myself.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:14 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by sharroll
I'm having the same issue. Ive checked the fuse, its not blown and the part is 1350.00. I ordered thr part from an acura warehouse, the order was canceled in early July because the part was on backorder until mid Aug. Where is this part located in case i can change myself.
what do you need?

every situation is different, so you really cant just quote a person...you actually need to tell us what part you need.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:43 AM
Cruisin'

Oops, it wsd diagnosed as the Modulator Assembly VSA. I was able to find a part from a damaged car with 74k miles for $260
justnspace (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 07:34 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Well done!
Old 03-27-2022, 01:11 PM
6th Gear

Having same issue on my 16 ilx ,check brake light, check abs light, check vsa light , check power steering light and hill assist light. The warnings come on while I'm driving and stay on for for about an hour then they go away for about a week now they're coming on more often like every other day.
. I noticed that if I park the ilx with the warning lights on then like an hour later when I gotta go somewhere I turn on the car the warning lights will be on but as I'm leaving and turn the wheels I hear a noise coming from the front wheels. It's like something getting snagged grinding type noise or something engaging or disengaging and as soon as I hear the noise a few seconds later all the warning lights turn off.
I have an extended warranty that's about expire in two months . I have an obd scan tool and no codes pop up . I took it to the dealer but they said if no codes they can't help me and would charge me just tell me what I already know that there's no codes. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Big Jimmy; 03-27-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:56 PM
6th Gear

I changed the VSA module got one used from a wrecked ilx same year installed it myself and solved the problem.
DaIll1 (05-28-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 10:13 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cc516x
i had almost the exact thing happen to me. Person in fwy in front of me hit a large metal like object. I had little time to react before I nailed it too hitting the right side of my car even denting underneath the right side front door. I knew it was a bad sign that the sent was the only damage I could see at that time.

A couple months later in rolled all the same problems and now my dash is lit up like a Christmas tree including check engine. My husband unfortunately was recently diagnosed with an enlarged heart/heart failure and went into surgery for a pace maker. I’m between all the crazyness we had our first child. Needless to say as important as our only car is we’ve had to put it on the back burner. With my husband unable to work and me being out of work for years I simply do not make enough to even begin working out all the problems my poor car has suffered threw and going unfixed for so long just adding more problems to the mix.

Acura zine truly is a blessing to all of us and so are all the people that take the time to post their problem and solution. It gives everyone somewhere to start. Unfortunately very very few mechanics can be trusted these days so like myself and I’m sure many others have to become their own mechanic. Couldn’t have done it without the Acura zine family.

So please anymore updates or similar experiences please keep them rolling! You guys are life savers for us are our acuras!