AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   ILX Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-problems-fixes-427/)
-   -   Brakes not working with no pedal resistance. (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-problems-fixes-427/brakes-not-working-no-pedal-resistance-961117/)

Etsuko Aoyama 08-02-2017 09:19 PM

Brakes not working with no pedal resistance.

I have 2016 ILX. In the last few months, I've experienced brake problems few times when I am cruising at the speed of 20-30 mph. When I press the brake pedal, there is no resistance to it, and the pedal goes all the way to the floor. I release and press it one or two more times, then it works.

I'm taking it to a dealer this weekend, but I am wondering if anyone experienced the same issue.

Crashmaster 08-02-2017 11:38 PM

Sounds like a failing master cylinder. I would strongly suggest that you call the dealer and explain the problem. They will NOT want you to drive your vehicle into the shop. Instead, they will need to tow it. If you inform them of the problem and not tow it, they could very likely be liable should you get into an accident. Believe me, they will want to tow it in. Don't risk an accident, have it towed in.

Etsuko Aoyama 08-03-2017 12:32 AM

Thanks. I will call the dealer. I hope that the dealership will be as concerned as you are.
I saw Acura MDX owners talking about the same brake issue on another website forum. They also said that it was the master cylinder.

schen72 08-03-2017 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Crashmaster (Post 16069862)
Sounds like a failing master cylinder. I would strongly suggest that you call the dealer and explain the problem. They will NOT want you to drive your vehicle into the shop. Instead, they will need to tow it. If you inform them of the problem and not tow it, they could very likely be liable should you get into an accident. Believe me, they will want to tow it in. Don't risk an accident, have it towed in.

Whatever the problem is, it's covered under warranty. Have it towed in. This is a serious safety issue. They should be all-hands-on-deck to fix this. Worrisome that the master cylinder would fail this soon.

Etsuko Aoyama 08-14-2017 03:25 PM

Update. A dealer held the car for a couple of days and ran test. But, of course, they said everything checked out fine including the master cylinder. An issue needs to be "proven" for Acura to cover this by warranty, so I couldn't fix it.
Then 3 days after I got the car back, the same brake failure happened again! I guess I will have to keep taking it back to the dealer... Maybe I will also try contacting Acura.

Crashmaster 08-15-2017 05:07 AM

Intermittent failures are the most difficult to find. Let me suggest that next time it happens, do your best to try and record it on your smart phone. Once you have a record of it happening even just once, they will absolutely keep the vehicle until they find the problem. If that is not possible, you might give permission for the service manager to drive your car for a few days (back and forth to work and such) so that the problem can be found. Acura requires proof of a defect before they will pay a dealer to repair a vehicle under warranty.

schen72 08-21-2017 12:23 PM

I would not drive the vehicle regularly until this problem is resolved.

Chrifff 08-24-2017 12:10 AM

Not sure if this is related.... However there are some hoses that come from the engine that help with braking, ie a brake assist. If the hose is worn or you are having issues trying to brake, like pushing the pedal to the floor with minimal braking = this could be your problem. When I changed my exhaust manifold I did not connect the hose correctly and issues braking until I figured it out and adjusted the fittings.

When did you last change your brakes? Is it possible your brake fluid has air bubbles in the line?

Sorry I know it may be a long shot, but I figured I would chime in just in case it helps. Good luck figuring that one out.

gizmowater 12-21-2017 08:38 PM

I'm having the exact same problem!

I brought my car in several times for this exact same issue. It's very scary and after just barely avoiding a collision I took it in again to the dealer. They still couldn't duplicate the issue, so they had me bring the car to another nearby dealer for a 2nd set of eyes on it. The 2nd dealer was also unable to duplicate it.
I currently have a case with with corporate on the issue.
It's a very scary thing to deal with and I'm terrified to drive the car now.

Any thoughts? - Were you able to come to some sort of resolution on this?
You literally described the issue 100% IDENTICAL to what I experienced.

I have a 2017 ILX and purchased it in Glendale, CA.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

erk 01-31-2020 07:31 PM

Having the same issue in 2020

I have a 2019 ILX and am having the exact same issue. Dealer can't replicate it. Anyone here find out what it was?

Chrifff 02-04-2020 07:09 PM

I would check your brake fluid levels, and the exhaust manifold hoses. If they all seem fine, go to the dealership and have them do a brake fluid flush = Hopefully they will get it done as there is a huge liability to Acura if they ignore it and there is a braking issue that causes an accident.

doubleaj04 05-26-2021 09:20 PM

I am having the same issue with my 2019 ilx lease. It is at the dealership now they can’t replicate and are saying no codes are coming up. Did anyone ever find a solution?