Odd behavior

Old 04-24-2021, 03:40 PM
Just some f'in guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Odd behavior

I very recently installed factory fog lights on my 2014 ilx base. (The one that comes from Acura, with the integrated switch and all that)

At some part in the process something didn't go as planned. I don't know what-- but I suspect it was when I (briefly) connected the blue wire that comes off the relay into the wrong terminal on the vehicle's 20 pin connector.

Here are my "issues"
-Every now and then when I start the car, the fuel light will flash and show I have no gas, but then it'll stop after around 10-30 seconds and go back to normal.
-The ebrake light on the dashboard won't come on when the ebrake is up, which causes the DRL's to be on when the car is parked.
-From time to time, the car won't chirp when I lock the doors using the black button on the door handle. I suspect this is from the hood because I'll pop the hood, fiddle with the latch, and it'll go back to normal.

These issues didn't exist prior to the install so I think they're all related.
I don't want to give background regarding what I've checked because you'd probably think if I had checked it, I surely checked something else and I likely haven't because I'm a board certified idiot (you knew this when you read that I added fog lights to a sedan).
Any ideas welcome, when I google search brake light off and related terms all I get is how it's stuck on, I got nothing on searching about the fuel thing.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:41 AM
Just some f'in guy

Wanted to add that the chirp thing is certainly the hood. Also, the sun roof and map lights don't work. The fuel light flashing, for reasons I don't understand, seem tied into trim pieces being on which doesn't make sense because they don't connect [to my knowledge] to anything electrical.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:48 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
this piece of advice wont help now, but will help later!
and believe me, I've learned this the hard way as well....

always always always disconnect the battery when working with electronics.
Sounds like you shorted something out, or may have grounded something out
The following users liked this post:
langevinrox (05-16-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 03:31 PM
Just some f'in guy

This issue is now solved.

This photo is from the driver side fuse panel.
After testing every fuse and relay I could pull, it turned out to be this little plug that I never tampered with (outlined in green).
Somewhere in the process it became loose (as obviously seen in the photo and anyone who is not a board certified idiot would spot on the first go around).
I'm guessing the trim that covers the latch to pull open the hood gave just a little pressure to push it in just enough to work on occasion, which is odd because as I recall kicking wildly with my left foot over the last few weeks (with the trim on), it seemed kicking closer to the 20 pin connector that had it go back to working. The map lights, sunroof, dashboard ebrake indicator, and fuel gauge all work normally now.
If something else wasn't working, I didn't notice.

The process was solved by removing the trim and pushing on wires while the vehicle was running and the map lights were on, when they flickered on I narrowed it down to the plug.

Special thanks to user justnspace for giving advice and my wife for listening to me blab on about what the issue could be for ~5ish minutes to 3 hours.

Last edited by langevinrox; 05-16-2021 at 03:35 PM. Reason: give thanks
Old 05-16-2021, 04:59 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
glad you found the issue and it wasnt something more serious like shorting something out!