acura ilx 2013 dynamic 2.4L 6 speed manual clutch grinding sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi,
i'd like to know how many owners of acura ilx 2013 dynamic 2.4 L 6-speed manual experience a grinding clutch noise when starting to drive from the 1st gear only? it happens just when the clutch is first released from the complete stop, never when the car is moving. my ilx is getting to a point when i need to do something. would a complete clutch overhaul/replacement help? anything else?
any reply would be appreciated. to my knowledge, honda sport si has the same problem, and the ilx and si have the same manual transmission, including the clutch.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member here. I have recently purchased a 2015 ILX and am experiencing the same in 1st gear. plan to take it to the dealer soon. I also hear a low bubbles/ gurgling sound from behind the dash on the passenger side. This is when i start it up and goes away in a couple of seconds. does yours do that too?
mine is the 2015 6 speed.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts
https://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/dr...tch-noise.html

This issue has been reported by many people. There hasnt been solid answer from dealers and honda at what exactly it could be. Many have tried to diagnose the issue and the best possible and reasonable answer comes down to clutch springs. Best thing you can do if you cant replicate the issue to a dealer is call acura and report it so its on file. Good luck with this. Im also on the same boat with me 2015 2.4L
Old 10-19-2018, 03:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by karthik kasam
New member here. I have recently purchased a 2015 ILX and am experiencing the same in 1st gear. plan to take it to the dealer soon. I also hear a low bubbles/ gurgling sound from behind the dash on the passenger side. This is when i start it up and goes away in a couple of seconds. does yours do that too?
mine is the 2015 6 speed.
no, my ilx 2013 2.4l 6 speed does not do the gurgling sound from behind the dash on the passenger side, just the annoying grinding sound when in 1st gear releasing the clutch from a standstill. different year, different issues. but overall, am very happy with the car.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by visi_d
https://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/dr...tch-noise.html

This issue has been reported by many people. There hasnt been solid answer from dealers and honda at what exactly it could be. Many have tried to diagnose the issue and the best possible and reasonable answer comes down to clutch springs. Best thing you can do if you cant replicate the issue to a dealer is call acura and report it so its on file. Good luck with this. Im also on the same boat with me 2015 2.4L
thx, it sounds like a good idea, need to call acura canada and explain the issue. had the car for about 1 1/2 year and the grinding problem doesn't seem to be getting any worse, perhaps once or twice a day. otherwise, very happy with the car.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:03 AM
5th Gear

I know this may sound crazy, but I was experiencing the same issue and it turned out to be the lower engine strut mount on the passenger side. The bolts had begun to back off and when the engine would torque in first gear it would make a grinding noise but it felt like it was the clutch. I discovered it when the last bolt finally came all the way out and the engine and tranny came completely out of alignment. Scary moment and I thought I had blown the transmission when it happened. However, all gears worked and no CEL or anything else not working. Horrible grinding sound and feel, but it was just the vibration of the engine on the frame when torqued. You could grab the engine and it had about 3-4 inches of play in it. Researched the bolts, and picked up from dealer. $3.75 fix. The mount is on the passenger side, bottom rear of the engine. You have to take the wheel off to really get to it unless you have a lift.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:06 AM
Racer

Ive never heard of that happening before. You mind posting a picture of the location you are talking about.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CajunILX
I know this may sound crazy, but I was experiencing the same issue and it turned out to be the lower engine strut mount on the passenger side. The bolts had begun to back off and when the engine would torque in first gear it would make a grinding noise but it felt like it was the clutch. I discovered it when the last bolt finally came all the way out and the engine and tranny came completely out of alignment. Scary moment and I thought I had blown the transmission when it happened. However, all gears worked and no CEL or anything else not working. Horrible grinding sound and feel, but it was just the vibration of the engine on the frame when torqued. You could grab the engine and it had about 3-4 inches of play in it. Researched the bolts, and picked up from dealer. $3.75 fix. The mount is on the passenger side, bottom rear of the engine. You have to take the wheel off to really get to it unless you have a lift.
hi,
that's really unusual, the loose engine mount producing this grinding sound. is it possible to show us the picture of the location? my 2013 dynamic still produces this grinding sound but for some reason, it's not getting any worse. but the engine mounts should be easy to check, just need to wait for some warmer weather to arrive, here in canada it's currently minus -22C. and a picture would be welcome.
i was till now quite sure that it most likely is the clutch problem, now not so sure.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:46 AM
5th Gear

I'll try to get one. This is what the mount looks like
Old 02-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CajunILX
I'll try to get one. This is what the mount looks like
thank you cajun for this picture, it will be very helpful. i'll have a good look at the engine mounts as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer here in canada.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:33 AM
Racer

That's the top engine mount. I changed mine to the Hasport engine mount to reduce engine movement. It still get the clutch noise from time to time. I can promise you that is not the issue.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:47 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by crazyvlad
hi,
i'd like to know how many owners of acura ilx 2013 dynamic 2.4 L 6-speed manual experience a grinding clutch noise when starting to drive from the 1st gear only? it happens just when the clutch is first released from the complete stop, never when the car is moving. my ilx is getting to a point when i need to do something. would a complete clutch overhaul/replacement help? anything else?
any reply would be appreciated. to my knowledge, honda sport si has the same problem, and the ilx and si have the same manual transmission, including the clutch.
Yeah my car does the same thing..I have the 13' 2.4 ilx
Old 04-09-2019, 05:22 PM
Intermediate

Hi,
Just today (April 9, 2019 Tuesday) I went to an Acura dealer for an oil change and also asked them to take the car for a ride to test the clutch grinding sound. After the ride, the mechanic told me that he couldn't reproduce the grinding sound and advised to bring it back again when the sound becomes more frequent, now it happens perhaps once or twice per day. The 2013 ilx now has 122,000 kms and runs perfect, no complaints, a great car otherwise. The dealership also promised that they will honour the warranty work for the clutch repair because I had made them aware of this problem at 95,000 kms before the warranty expiry. So so far so good. I'd also like to know how many acura ilx owners experience this problem, perhaps statistics?
Apparently it's a common problem also with Honda Civic SI 2013 onwards. Ilx and Civic SI have identical clutch, gears and transmission.
Vlad
Old 04-09-2019, 06:00 PM
7th Gear

hi,
Mine sounds like a hum like chewbacca. But only when I engage 1st gear from a dead stop.more so on an incline..and it doesn't happen everytime
Old 04-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Racer

Guys, this issue is on going with many owners driving the 6spd ilx. Civic Si owners are also experiencing the same issues. Many have been able to record this noise.

Ive taken mine to the dealer while i still had warranty and also called acura corporate. Best advice is to have them replicate the issue and let them do their thing. They believe it could be clutch spring but its not certain. Some owners have installed aftermarket clutches and the issue has gone away. It could just be a flaw with the oem clutch.
The following users liked this post:
Clapnch33kz (04-10-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 05:32 AM
1st Gear

I know how to fix but it doesn’t last

hi,
So had this on my ILX since 20K. The dealership finally recreated the sound at 98K. Which they replaced the clutch and release bearing. This issue is the bearing but when your in that far you may as well do the clutch. It settled down for 35-40K and came back. I was informed by the shop foreman this had been an issue for the sporty 1.8 to 2.4L engine models in both Honda and Acura for some time.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:24 AM
Racer

Just an update from my experience with this issue. I had this occurring at least few times a day. Dealer couldn't replicate it. I installed the hasport top motor mount and rear motor mount. I can honestly say that i hardly ever have it occur anymore. Its been very hard for me to replicate. Not sure if anyone else rocking both motor mounts.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:57 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JFTB
So had this on my ILX since 20K. The dealership finally recreated the sound at 98K. Which they replaced the clutch and release bearing. This issue is the bearing but when your in that far you may as well do the clutch. It settled down for 35-40K and came back. I was informed by the shop foreman this had been an issue for the sporty 1.8 to 2.4L engine models in both Honda and Acura for some time.
my acura ilx 2013 dynamic 6 speed manual is now st 130,000 kms and I do get an occasional grinding sound when starting off from the 1st gear only, but it hasn't been getting any worse so I learned to live with it. I will have the entire clutch replaced if/when it gets much worse, say when it develops the tendency to produce the grinding sound multiple times when driving, say 10 or 20 times a day. But until then, no action.