New Built 2016 ILX A-Spec Premium

Old 05-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
I was not impressed with the 2016 ILX at all, actually thought the lips looked ugly until i saw this blue one, that is a very sweet looking ILX!!!!
I wasn't either. Mike has set the bar pretty high with this one. It's going to take a lot to try and top. I'm sure someone out there will but give it a couple years.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:52 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts
Indeed, the front and rear Aero kit really makes the A-Spec a complete package.

The parts alone retail for 900, having a dealership instal them would likely add a total of $1300+ more to the final price.

But they look so cool

Old 05-21-2015, 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Thmanx
Indeed, the front and rear Aero kit really makes the A-Spec a complete package.

The parts alone retail for 900, having a dealership instal them would likely add a total of $1300+ more to the final price.
Matters how you handle it. If the dealer pressed to sell an A-Spec you should ask where the a-spec kit is. Then when they try to claim it costs extra you call BS. "So you are telling me I have to pay EXTRA for the A-spec kit on the A-spec model?! What kind of joke is that?!"

Wouldnt be too hard to get the kit added if it means a sale on their end. Plus I am 100% sure the sales guys working their think it is just ad ridiculous that the kit isnt included. Two decades ago, Acura wouldnt be caught dead selling a Type R without the Type R kit installed.

Originally Posted by Flipster23
I wasn't either. Mike has set the bar pretty high with this one. It's going to take a lot to try and top. I'm sure someone out there will but give it a couple years.
Take this with a HUGE grain of salt but all they did was lower it, new wheels, and the stock kit. I think it looks gorgeous dont get me wrong. Just reminds me of this pic I see all over tuner forums. http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/54937290.jpg

Love the build Mike but what would it be without a little hate from time to time?
Old 05-21-2015, 02:15 PM
Racer

LOL type R w/o any Type R parts... no lip... no wing... no wheels...

But yeah your right, everyone who's interested in the A-Spec, definitely should inquire about the kit. Get it installed there for a good price, other wise its a good amount of work to DIY it.

For for an enthusiast for sure (lets you get to know you car), but if your not down to cut holes in your brand new bumper... let the dealer work it into the package for you.

Frankly i would have had them do it there, but I had no idea the parts existed till a week after i bought the car. No photos existed yet really...
Old 05-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL type R w/o any Type R parts... no lip... no wing... no wheels...

But yeah your right, everyone who's interested in the A-Spec, definitely should inquire about the kit. Get it installed there for a good price, other wise its a good amount of work to DIY it.

For for an enthusiast for sure (lets you get to know you car), but if your not down to cut holes in your brand new bumper... let the dealer work it into the package for you.

Frankly i would have had them do it there, but I had no idea the parts existed till a week after i bought the car. No photos existed yet really...

I feel like they arent making the kit very public because people may start asking where it is. Had they called it an "accessory kit" no one would be any smarter. But calling it an A-Spec kit then not including it on all A-specs seems ridiculous since I grew up loving the Type R and knowing what it was.

TL A-Spec owners.... when the A-Spec was brand new did Acura sell it WITHOUT the a-spec kit? If so then I guess that's just how Acura rolls now.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Racer

That or perhaps they think the A-Spec aero is to aggressive for most people, and they arnt marketing it?

I haven't seen any adds showcasing it. Sure they say "A-Spec model Shown" but now with the Aero bits on it.

It be cool to see a Sporty A-Spec ad with all the bells and whistles on it. Like how Honda Europe does their CTR campaign.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
there was true Acura-Spec'd TL's that came with suspension, body kit, steering wheel and wheels

then there was add on a-spec'd TL's which most of them are, where the body kits get added on at the dealer and was dealer optioned to add on steering wheel, etc.

but no, not to my knowledge was there ever an aspec TL without the body kit, because thats what made the aspec an aspec... suspension was tuned by Makoto Tamamura and the body kit created less drag coefficient
Old 05-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
there was true Acura-Spec'd TL's that came with suspension, body kit, steering wheel and wheels

then there was add on a-spec'd TL's which most of them are, where the body kits get added on at the dealer and was dealer optioned to add on steering wheel, etc.

but no, not to my knowledge was there ever an aspec TL without the body kit, because thats what made the aspec an aspec... suspension was tuned by Makoto Tamamura and the body kit created less drag coefficient
Thats what i thought. Further makea me thinkg acura should put the aspec kit of all aspec ilx.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Thats what i thought. Further makea me thinkg acura should put the aspec kit of all aspec ilx.
well, hate to say it and is my turn to crush your dreams....

Honda is a mass people mover

the reason why we hold the 3G's and CL's to higher standards because they were actually tuned to attack the track, ie: suspension and body kit reducing drag.

same can be said of the integra with the Type-R.

now-a-days, honda has been complacent with being a mass people mover.

hoping that changes in the next decade with the Civic Type-R coming out and the introduction of the turbo engines
The following users liked this post:
Chan_Mike (06-05-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 02:41 PM
Racer

It is changing though, and this is all a good sign.

I mean finally they have a small sport sedan that has an equivalent power to weight ratio the old GS-R's had, and as a sedan even not just a coupe/hatch. The 0-60 times are back up to where they should and its obvious through their styling trends (that trickled down from the NSX concept to the entire brand) Acura is on the move and they are tired of being forgotten.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thmanx:
Chan_Mike (06-05-2015), justnspace (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,914 Likes on 14,457 Posts
My car was a "sport package"...sold in 2003 before they called it the HFP and Aspec packages.
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
Chan_Mike (06-05-2015), justnspace (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 02:54 PM

It is changing though, and this is all a good sign.

I mean finally they have a small sport sedan that has an equivalent power to weight ratio the old GS-R's had, and as a sedan even not just a coupe/hatch. The 0-60 times are back up to where they should and its obvious through their styling trends (that trickled down from the NSX concept to the entire brand) Acura is on the move and they are tired of being forgotten.
hopefully, we can forget the last decade of boring cars...

here's to bigger and better things, Honda!
Old 05-21-2015, 05:44 PM

I searched and searched my old paperwork...found the original paperwork for my stepdad's loan...but not the sticker price. I wanted to post the wording and original cost...
Old 05-22-2015, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
A-spec lip kit looks great in photos, draws away from the ugly stock bottom air dam lip design. I still think it (lip kit, stock bottom front lip especially) looks kinda ugly at dead on center view, but side and angle its really great. The wheels chosen are perfect look, lux and sporty, which is (IMO) what looks good on this car. Drop is great. As others stated, you definitely did a tasteful job

HOWEVER - Flipster? You serious brah? Who said the bar was set super high? What? Wheels, drop and OEM lip kit is a super high bar? Some dude could walk into the dealership tonight, and have the same setup next week...
Old 05-22-2015, 10:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Love the car color. My sister is thinking of getting one once she graduates registered nursing school. If she gets it from the dealer with the kit and in this or some of the other beautiful colors, throws on some wheels ASAP, I won't be able to hate too much. Although right now, i think the pricing is just not good.

I actually saw a white one on base, parked next to it. Should have taken a pic, but was in a rush. The new 18' wheels don't actually look bigger. The tires were HUGE tho, compared to mine. on my spring drop, I "looked"/appeared WAY lower then the car next to me. Maybe like 3-4 inches.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
wow, this might look better than the tlx!
Old 05-25-2015, 02:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Everyone thinks my ILX is a TLX, TL, TSX or a Lexus. Serious.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:26 AM

I have to do a double take a lot of times...great looking new lineup
Old 05-28-2015, 09:57 AM
Racer

Received 434 Likes on 138 Posts
Just to be clear, USDM Integra Type R's only comes with the front lip and trunk spoiler (Type R), and the side skirts and rear valences are optional accessories.

I agree with the fact that Acura's brand is heading the right direction. There is no overnight success, not for car business at least.

ILX, TLX, RDX, MDX and upcoming NSX are all fantastic vehicles for the Acura's brand. They have certainly came a long way. Every vehicle in our lineup has been changed or revised. I couldn't be more happier for this brand.
rockstar143 (05-29-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 10:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Chan_Mike
Just to be clear, USDM Integra Type R's only comes with the front lip and trunk spoiler (Type R), and the side skirts and rear valences are optional accessories.

I agree with the fact that Acura's brand is heading the right direction. There is no overnight success, not for car business at least.

ILX, TLX, RDX, MDX and upcoming NSX are all fantastic vehicles for the Acura's brand. They have certainly came a long way. Every vehicle in our lineup has been changed or revised. I couldn't be more happier for this brand.
the new models all look great imo, and very distinctive, which I think is equally as important. I can tell it's an acura from waaay down the road!

now for an earth dreams turbo ilx, with dct and sh-awd...
Old 05-28-2015, 08:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Notice he left out RLX? hehehe
Old 05-28-2015, 09:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by aomechmarine
Notice he left out RLX? hehehe
RLX is a great vehicle also, however it is clear that RLX does not meet the people expectation, category within its class: Lexus GS, Benz E-class, BMW 5 series, and etc. Selling only 209 units on 04/15, 212 units on 03/15, and 194 units on 02/15 (number including RLX Hybrid), I couldn't use that to support my statement (Acura's brand is heading the right direction). RLX is our Benchmark vehicle and so far that message has not deliver to the people, media or the press. I believe RLX is missing some special ingredients to gain its marketshare. Again, I am confident enough to know that Acura is looking into putting that "Special Sauce" back into the RLX formula.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:45 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Chan_Mike nice build on the ilx. Just got a '16 and looking to lower it what company/brand did you use for the suspension?
Old 05-29-2015, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by aomechmarine
I "looked"/appeared WAY lower then the car next to me. Maybe like 3-4 inches.

Mike...just keep doing what you're doing...everyone appreciates the efforts!
Old 05-30-2015, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh believe i know. As the itr came with the front itr lip it the aspec should come with the aspec lip.

The sides and rear werent labeled itr lip kits. They were jdm optional pieces. So it made sense they werent stock on the itr as they wereny itr parts but optional jdm parts.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:36 PM

Know what else you know?!?! That Vossens are certified!
Old 06-01-2015, 04:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rockstar143

Mike...just keep doing what you're doing...everyone appreciates the efforts!
??? I'm actually serious. I'm just dropped on aftermarket springs and its only about 1.5 drop. The 2016 stock ILX wheels are 18's, mine are 17. The tires on the 18's are bigger too, 225, where the 17's were 215. Maybe especially because Im getting close to needing some new tires, and the 2016 ILX's tires were basically new-ish, the contrast in tire size was huge.

I may be sitting 2.75 - 3 inches lower. Throw in optical illusion, and it looks like 3 - 4 inches. I'm actually pretty curios how big the drop was on this ILX. The bigger the wheels, the less you need to drop to make a drop obvious.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Not sure why everyone takes pointing out pluses and minuses, and likes and dislikes, as hating... people are too sensitive... I like the wheels on the 2013-15 ILX better. Also those years accessory wheel looks better then the current one, IMO.
Here's a couple of examples of similar great looking wheels.
Audi A4 accessory wheel - which actually someone apparently got their ILX wheels painted in a similar scheme. I'm unsure what thread I saw that in, if someone else knows where it is, feel free to post it. Wasn't my preference, but hey, I like chrome which others hate, so whatever.

XIX Wheels X45 - cmon, don't tell me there isn't a striking similarity in this aftermarket wheel face.As well the ILX wheels are pretty similar to the TSX wheels and TSX special edition wheels.
I'm very happy with my chrome faced OEM wheels. A few people thought they were aftermarket. I've actually had a few people offer to buy them for their CRZ's and other Hondas. Probably won't get a ton for them, but its all good. I'll consider letting them go when I trade up to aftermarket wheels.

Last edited by aomechmarine; 06-01-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:28 AM

I was saying it because an actual 4" drop is intensely low...
And IMO, bigger wheel, less rubber actually increases wheel gap so you need to go lower to look lower.

Anyway, semantics, I understand what you mean now.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:07 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Wouldnt be too hard to get the kit added if it means a sale on their end. Plus I am 100% sure the sales guys working their think it is just ad ridiculous that the kit isnt included. Two decades ago, Acura wouldnt be caught dead selling a Type R without the Type R kit installed.
Ha! Good luck with that routine at Pembroke Pines Acura. Get it in writing or have it done before you leave with the car. Don't let them tell you they'll order the parts and install them at a later date. They'll give you one price and charge you an inflated one later, take it or leave it. Especially if your salesman is Alex. Guy is a douche bag liar.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:55 AM

so you had a bad experience with one salesman and the whole dealership sucks?

I'm sure if you were promised something...something can be done if you ask the right people. We're under the assumption that you were totally forthright as a customer.

I don't see anyone "throwing in" a complete aero kit for free to make a sale. That's a big expensive item that affects the bottom line. Probably costs more than a lot of cars people are even trading in are getting for theirs.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rockstar143

so you had a bad experience with one salesman and the whole dealership sucks?

I'm sure if you were promised something...something can be done if you ask the right people. We're under the assumption that you were totally forthright as a customer.

I don't see anyone "throwing in" a complete aero kit for free to make a sale. That's a big expensive item that affects the bottom line. Probably costs more than a lot of cars people are even trading in are getting for theirs.
Where did I say the whole dealership sucks? I'm just saying don't let them tell you they'll throw in something for a set price, order the parts and have them installed at a later date only to go back on what they said, quote a different price and then tell you to take it or leave it. That's shitty business. Get it in writing or don't take the car home until it's all said and done.

Alex doesn't know it and he may not even need it or care, but he lost at the very least 1 more sale from my g/f's parents who are looking at trading in their old Acura and probably her sister who had the same car as her and wants the same car now.

Anyway, this ILX looks good. I'm a big fan of the a-spec kit and this blue. Too bad they don't offer it with a black interior. What suspension is it riding on? What's the alignment specs with that drop?
Old 07-31-2015, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Instead of complaning here, have you went to a manager at PP Acura and talked to them about it?
crazyasiantl (07-31-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Specs on the wheels and tires? How big and wide you end up going with the rims ?
Old 08-02-2015, 09:10 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
best ilx build... because i really like the color
Chan_Mike (08-07-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by SirWaWa
best ilx build... because Mike Chan knows how to mod!
Old 08-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Nickb257
Specs on the wheels and tires? How big and wide you end up going with the rims ?
These are our current set up:
Vossen Gloss Graphite CVTs 19x8.5 +32 all around
Bridgestone Potenza S001 235/35/19 all around
Old 08-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Racer

Yeah @Chan_Mike is an inspiration to all of us (My self included lol)
Chan_Mike (08-05-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 03:08 PM

Yes sir! He's passionate about the cars and the brand!
Chan_Mike (08-05-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

First change is the Fog Lights. Since all A-Spec come with normal Halogen bulb, we changed them out with the Acura optional LED Fog Light kit. The LED housing has a blue tint and a nice cut off for the light beam. Picture left is stock and right is LED fog light.

p.s. For folks that have non A-Spec models, you will need to purchase both attachment and LED fog light kit to complete the job.
Sooo if you have the aspec all you need is the led foglight lens and no attachment?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Built 2016 ILX A-Spec Premium