First Gen ILX 2.0 vs 2.4 exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 04:11 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Gen ILX 2.0 vs 2.4 exhaust questions

Hi there, I've currently starting taken an interest into modifying my car (2014 ILX 2.0L). Though I know there is not much I can do to it, I want to take it as far as it can handle.

I've read articles and posts saying that I can do that by getting better cold air intake, exhaust, weight reduction, better tires and light rims/strong rims etc etc. I was thinking of getting a better exhaust system first. DC sports currently makes an exhaust for the ILX 2.4, and after reading decent reviews on it im set on getting it. But the problem is Im not sure whether it'll fit on the 2.0L because of the different in the engine itself.

Can someone here tell me/help me understand the difference between the exhaust placement from the R20A and the k24z7 if there is any. Because the DC sports exhaust states that it's meant for the 2.4L.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
2013 2.0 bay

2013 2.4 bay

The two engines face opposite directions in that the 2.0 has the exhaust manifold up front and the intake mani behind it while the 2.4 has the IM infront and the EM in the rear.

Meaning the exhaust length of the 2.4 is going to be a little shorter. Maybe half a foot or more. Also the piping is a slight different diameter. Off by like .25in I think.

Aside from that, I dont believe the bolt flange is indentical even if they did meet in the same spot.

An exhaust shop could probably make one fit by cutting into it and welding on a new flange. Not sure really.

Your best bet is to pick up an exhaust from a civic. A 2008-2012 non SI will fit as long as you chop off the tail pipe to clear the ILX bumper.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:43 PM
8th Gear

So you're saying something like this this(i know it isnt a full exhaust system)

From Mugen would work?
Old 04-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
You would have to either chop off the exhaust tip or cut into the ILX bumper.

I would never suggest ruining anything authentic mugen so that exhaust would require cutting into your ILX bumper or no go.

Something more like this

Borla S-Type Rear Section Exhaust; 2.25 in. Tubing; Incl. Muffler/Hardware/4.25 in. x 3.5 in. Single Oval Rolled Angle-Cut Tip; Single Right Rear Exit; HONDA CIVIC

Then chop off the tip and have an exhaust shop weld a turn down tip that will fit under the rear bumper cover.

As well this will work

http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...OM8aAskO8P8HAQ

Then you can have a local exhaust shop connect the Weapons R downpipe to the Borla axle back using some 2.5in mandrel bent piping (look for a shop with a mandrel bender).

Exhaust would be perfect then... up until you have to smog check the car which would require you replace everything from the cat to the engine with stock parts.

Last edited by usdmJON; 04-08-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:31 PM
8th Gear

So what creates the smog from the 2 components? or does both of them contribute.
I'm mostly looking for an exhaust that doesn't make my car sound like rice rocket that came out of auto value. Like the typical wet fart you hear. Also with performance enhancement ofc.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:00 AM
4th Gear

Rv6 down pipe, AEM intake with jacket/dc sports exhaust./ k-tuned

Car is a beast! Screams through tunnels. Does have constant drone. Will smoke any civic!