Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
DIY: '06-'07 Impreza/STI lip on '13-'15 Acura ILX

DIY: '06-'07 Impreza/STI lip on '13-'15 Acura ILX
DIY: '06-'07 Impreza/STI lip on '13-'15 Acura ILX - Album on Imgur

DIY: '06-'07 Impreza/STI lip on '13-'15 Acura ILX-xw913nkg.jpg
Hey all. Back with a small DIY to help out for those wanting to install the popular lip made for the Subaru Impreza/STI.
Here you can see my broken 2005 impreza lip and infront of it a brand new 2006 impreza lip. Small differences but either will work.

DIY: '06-'07 Impreza/STI lip on '13-'15 Acura ILX-m9gicuwg.jpg
This is the 2006 Impreza lip I am retrofitting today.
It will just require some extra hardware holes (I predrill only 1 of them) and cutting the ends off to make it fit properly.

DIY: '06-'07 Impreza/STI lip on '13-'15 Acura ILX-txq76igg.jpg
Red circle indicates where we will predrill one hole to help with mounting.
Yellow circles indicate what we are cutting off the lip to make fit the Acura ILX.

DIY: '06-'07 Impreza/STI lip on '13-'15 Acura ILX-mccioywg.jpg
One predrilled hole. Just measure the distance between the holes on the left and right then drill one hole in the middle.
Measure twice and drill once.

DIY: '06-'07 Impreza/STI lip on '13-'15 Acura ILX-us7okaag.jpg
Once under the car just put one screw into the predrilled hole you made and screw it directly in the middle of the underside of the bumper.
If you are having a hard time finding the middle look at my next pic for something to look for. The one screw will support the lip for now.

Yellow circle shows the screw hole I used to align the sides.
Count that hole from the middle and make sure that spot sits flush to the edge you can see next to the lip.
That edge is where part of the bumper under tray is removed. Its the same on both sides so use that to align the sides.

Blue circle indicates what we still need to cut off from the bumper to make look right.

DIY: '06-'07 Impreza/STI lip on '13-'15 Acura ILX-vgk1k3bg.jpg
I took this pic to show the fitment of the lip but it will also serve to show how I find the center of the bumper.
You can use the yellow circle which shows the obvious point in the bumper cover.
The red circle used to have a plastic support before a piece of road debri broke it off. But you can also use that as it is directly in the center.

DIY: '06-'07 Impreza/STI lip on '13-'15 Acura ILX-w6elh7tg.jpg
All that is left is to cut off the part of the lip sticking out. You can use a dremel with a plastic cutting bit.
I honestly prefer some gardening sheers. Very clean cut and it just takes two snips to cut through.

DIY: '06-'07 Impreza/STI lip on '13-'15 Acura ILX-yb1lm9ug.jpg
Final product. Fits very nicely and gives the ILX front end a new sporty look.
Thanks for checking this out and I hope it helps those wanting to put a lip on their Acura ILX.
If you found this usefully please check out our ILX fb group and join us. Link in signature.
The following users liked this post:
Chrifff (06-02-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Not bad Jon. Not bad at all!!!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Now finish it off by putting a real Carbon fiber overlay on it. That would look badass.

either way, clean install. Well done. I'm a big supporter of properly done mods!
Old 05-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So install a lip like this, you will also have to drill directly into the underside of the ILX right? There's no holes already there on the car that you can use correct?
Old 05-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Solid DIY

Sucks living in canada

USA - 50USD with free shipping
Canada - 50USD + 40 USD shipping = 130 CAD
Old 05-10-2017, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Not bad Jon. Not bad at all!!!
Thanks.

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Now finish it off by putting a real Carbon fiber overlay on it. That would look badass.
either way, clean install. Well done. I'm a big supporter of properly done mods!
Thanks. I have put thought into doing a CF wrap but ultimately decided against it as I think the wrap would tear the moment the lip scraped on the ground BUT I have a buddy that hydrodips gun parts. I bet that would hold I just need to buy a big tub as long as my lip is wide.

Originally Posted by Petahhbread
So install a lip like this, you will also have to drill directly into the underside of the ILX right? There's no holes already there on the car that you can use correct?
Correct. The way the plastic piece right under the bumper is made it will conceal the tops of the screws you drill into the underside so you dont have to worry about seeing those though the opening in the bumper.

But yes this lip isnt made for acura so none of the pre drilled holes line up.

Originally Posted by neildam
Solid DIY

Sucks living in canada

USA - 50USD with free shipping
Canada - 50USD + 40 USD shipping = 130 CAD
That does suck. IMO though 130 for me would still be worth it since it beats the $300 the OEM front kit costs and it stands out more than the OE lip.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Thanks. I have put thought into doing a CF wrap but ultimately decided against it as I think the wrap would tear the moment the lip scraped on the ground BUT I have a buddy that hydrodips gun parts. I bet that would hold I just need to buy a big tub as long as my lip is wide.
No, not at all. If the actual lip doesn't break, the CF won't break either. If anything, it'll make the lip stiffer, and that's about it. It also depends on how many layers of CF you put on... one layer would still be pretty malleable. You would only need one anyway, as it's just an overlay.

Sorry.. I see the confusion... I didn't mean a CF [vinyl] wrap. I meant real CF. There's a process for applying true CF to, well, anything. Watch some youtube videos on it... it's pretty cool.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Suzuka Master

I definitely misunderstood and thought you were referring to a vinyle cf wrap.

I'll have to look into that. thanks
Old 06-01-2017, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
Jon,
Great thread and thank you for your details on this mod. I am seriously considering doing this. But alas I am also in Canada and it cost quite a bit to have one shipped here. Still..... It is very tempting.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine just came in. Soon as my spacers come in slapping coils, lip, spacers and rear window visor on. Cant wait!