Water on the windows? (No, I am NOT bashing the car)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Water on the windows? (No, I am NOT bashing the car)

Okay. Before you think I am bashing the car AGAIN(because of my previous 3 threads regarding fuel economy, noise, and my disappointment with the car) I really have a technical question.

Now that I got that out of the way. Yesterday, coming out of a friend's party I was driving my ILX home with my friend. I noticed something dirty on my window so what I did was roll down the window to let the dirt cleaned by the rubber or plastic thing that is attached to the door and then bring it back up. I did this for the last 3 years on my Corolla and I think its a normal thing to do? Now, after I roll it down, I brought it back up and upon my surprise, there are water on my window.

At first I thought it was raining. But then I realize it wasn't. So I did what I use to do when I drive: I roll it down again hoping the water would go away and upon my horror when I roll it up again the water INCREASED. I am alarmed and my friend (who is more experienced with cars) told me to quickly check all the windows. So I roll all of them down and when I roll it back up, there are huge amount of water on all my windows !

My friend quickly checked for me and said the water is not getting inside or on the inside part of the window. Upon his inspection, he noticed the rubber inside the door was wet. He said that is not suppose to happen and its not normal and I should go to a dealership to check it out. I am confused... Its only been less then a month since I had the car and now this happens? Is it normal? If it is, that is strange ! Water should not be hiding inside the damn door? We ruled out moisture problem cause the water is not coming from inside even if we roll it up and down. The only thing I can think of is rainwater/water from my wash (hand washed). Help? Anyone else getting this problem?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
As part of an initial tsb on these cars, the door panels were removed to fix the door hinges (not exactly sure what happened, but you can double check that there was a tsb related to the doors). This could have something to do with it.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
This is nothing to worry about. The tracks that the windows are in have a soft/felt type material at the top of the door that they rub against when they're rolling. You had just washed the car so they were wet and when you rolled the windows back up it streaked them.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4cruizn:
Trentimus (11-28-2012), ttk5 (01-29-2013)
Old 11-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by spdandpwr
As part of an initial tsb on these cars, the door panels were removed to fix the door hinges (not exactly sure what happened, but you can double check that there was a tsb related to the doors). This could have something to do with it.
The recall was for the door latches, but yeah to me it sounds unrelated from the 'water' issue which is common for many makes/models.
The following users liked this post:
spdandpwr (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by 4cruizn
This is nothing to worry about. The tracks that the windows are in have a soft/felt type material at the top of the door that they rub against when they're rolling. You had just washed the car so they were wet and when you rolled the windows back up it streaked them.
Exactly.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Drifting

Thanks for clarifying
Old 11-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
every car I have owned.. same thing.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Trentimus
every car I have owned.. same thing.
Makes you wonder how much his friend really knows about cars. Getting him worked up for nothing.
HEAVY_RL (12-30-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by terdonal
Makes you wonder how much his friend really knows about cars. Getting him worked up for nothing.
Just judging by him not knowing how to check tire pressure (in other post) he seems very-very young (no judgement I am only 23) and doesn't have hands on car experience so I will give him a pass and help him out.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Thanks ! But... the more I thought about it the more I think there is probably more to it. I thought you were absolutely spot on but just thinking back... I washed my car on the 18th and the discoveries on the water marks was on the 24th... Does it really take that long to dry it? There was rain on the 19th when I was out but other then that I haven't driven the car beside yesterday.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Just judging by him not knowing how to check tire pressure (in other post) he seems very-very young (no judgement I am only 23) and doesn't have hands on car experience so I will give him a pass and help him out.
Hi I am the same age as you (23). I do have quite a bit of experience with driving and getting a ride in a large quantities of luxury cars (everyone here is rich? XP) but I have to admit I have no knowledge of technicality with cars whatsoever.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by terdonal
Yeah he might know more but he is the same age as me. I guess exp. really comes into play here. But I never seen this before even after my car wash. I mean, it doesn't really make sense if there is rain water while you are driving out in the rain and you want to roll your window down to see better and there is... more rain? I don't know if I am making any sense here.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Don't roll the window down to get rid of dirt or smudges. You'll wash your car again then roll down the window and guess what? Dirt.
The following 2 users liked this post by NWSTL:
4cruizn (11-27-2012), Trentimus (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to me. Rolled my window down today and it came back up all wet (on the outside only).

Not sure why this happened either considering the following. It has not rained here in a few days. I got my windows tinted last Friday (5 days ago) and this is the first time I have rolled down a window since. I don't think the water should still be in there a few days after it last rained.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deathknight777
Yeah he might know more but he is the same age as me. I guess exp. really comes into play here. But I never seen this before even after my car wash. I mean, it doesn't really make sense if there is rain water while you are driving out in the rain and you want to roll your window down to see better and there is... more rain? I don't know if I am making any sense here.
I dunno that I would roll my windows down if there was rain..? If you're talking about rolling them down as some sort of side window wiper mechanism I wouldn't recommend it.. I have never seen a car just wipe the window clean, it's just gonna streak water. And, I wasn't commenting on your ability to drive cars, I was simply pointing out that checking tire pressure is the most basic of tasks and one of the most important. It's understandable that you wont have all the answers just like I wont; that's why we're here.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Advanced

I am having the same issue on the driver's side door only. It rained really hard two days ago while I was driving. Two days later, the driver's side window is still rolling up with water on it. The other windows are all fine--nice and dry. I'm suspecting some sort of defect on that door if others are having this problem.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^As long as the water is on the outside I don't see how there is a problem. Sorry.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

So many ways water can get on the car... we're all worried about the exterior of a window being wet.. does anyone see what's wrong with this..
Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Advanced

Not so much worried about the window, but am imagining a giant pool of water gradually filling up the driver's side door eventually causing some sort of short or failure in the sensor mechanism.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car doors are not waterproof, which is why there's the polythene lining. There should be a drainhole, These are invariably tiny and can get easily blocked. Find a drainhole and check for a blockage.

Were the windows left down anytime in inclement weather?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ddantzler
Car doors are not waterproof, which is why there's the polythene lining. There should be a drainhole, These are invariably tiny and can get easily blocked. Find a drainhole and check for a blockage.

Were the windows left down anytime in inclement weather?
Nope and look at the above posters that posted under me. It just makes no sense that after a particular rainy day. 5 days later you roll down your window then roll back up and its wet.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Take it to the dealer instead of being snide.. we obviously don't have the answer you want.
ddantzler (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deathknight777
Nope and look at the above posters that posted under me. It just makes no sense that after a particular rainy day. 5 days later you roll down your window then roll back up and its wet.
When was the last time it hasn't rained here for 5 days? Do you park in a garage, under shelter or do you park outside unprotected from, dew, frost or rain?

If there is no water on the inside of the window then I just don't see how there could we water or condensation built up inside the door. The window is in a track that sits in the middle of the door. To my knowledge the only contact with the window is against the felt at the top of the door when the window comes up.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with the "take it to the dealer" sentiment. The car is under warranty.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Drifting

this has been confirmed to be an issue. I'll be taking my car to the dealer for it to get fixed
Old 12-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

I am an asshole.. and you were right..

Shame on me

The weather strip, window settings or something is failing to seal the door.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Advanced

I am an asshole.. and you were right..

Shame on me

The weather strip, window settings or something is failing to seal the door.
Wait... What? Under my othe tread I said problem solved because my acura dealership refused to fix the problem for me unless water was in the car. They said its normal and unless I pay $100+ they don't have the obligation to fix it for me. So what can I say to them to make them realize its a problem?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Drifting

Bringing the car into the dealer for inspection. I'll see what they say. For me, however, I feel like the water stays there for a prolonged period of time. If there's not ice on my window, there's no reason why it should be frozen shut