Rear Spoiler Seperating

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013 | 03:42 PM
Instructor

Rear Spoiler Seperating

Is anyone having issues with the factory spoiler separating from their trunk? I am referring to the spoiler that comes as an option for the 2.0 and 2.4, not the spoiler that comes on the hybrids. I seem to have a reoccurring issue with the spoiler separating from the trunk lid. I was by the dealer that did the repair the first time that it's actually secured partially with double sided tape. I was actually very shocked to hear this. In any case, there are currently no service bulletins or recalls on this. I've spoken with Acura directly and they are going to make this a priority. I ask if anyone else is having similar issues that they contact Acura and let them know there is a problem. The more people this is reported as an issue, the sooner we can get a service bulletin out there to look out for other fellow Acura ILX drivers that are unaware. So as of today, my ILX is grounded until further notice since the closest dealer is over an hour away, and I just don't have the time to get my car repaired again with what is apparently an ineffective repair method.

If you do have this problem, here is the number and business hours to report the issue to Acura. This is direct to their client relations desk.

800) 382-2238 toll free
Monday through Friday
6:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Pacific Standard Time
Old 03-22-2013 | 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

That seems weird.. it should just be two bolts with lugs on them and double sided tape.. that's standard for any spoiler.. Keep us updated
Old 03-22-2013 | 04:06 PM
Instructor

It's got two plastic fasteners, one on each end, they don't seem to lock in place though. They are attached to the spoiler and sit in the trunk more like guide pins than actual fasteners. I know this because with the tape losing its adhesiveness, I can lift the spoiler up a half inch and the fastener does not appear to have any kind of mechanism on it that flares out once it's seated. I'll keep everyone posted though. Acura's client services desk was very helpful. I explained the issue with them, and they are expediting it. They thanked me for my patience and view this as a very serious issue and have forwarded it to a senior member who should be getting back to me soon.
Old 03-22-2013 | 04:16 PM
Drifting

That's strange...a lot of people have the spoiler. I also though that there were screws that attach to the spoiler?
Old 03-22-2013 | 11:22 PM
Senior Moderator

It's very common for lip spoilers to be attached by double-sided tape. My Legend coupe has a Sarona lip that's been held on by only 3M double-sided tape (and no other fasteners / mounts) for about 7 years now. As for the ILX, for some reason I thought it mounted with screws AND with tape. I was told that the mounting holes in the trunk lid are in different locations for the hybrid spoiler vs. the accessory spoiler.

Still, seems like an odd reason to "ground" your ILX. Is it actually going to lift off and detach from the car? Seems like installation was the problem.

Last edited by 4cruizn; 03-22-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2013 | 12:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

If the dealer did the install they sure as hell better have did the screws and not just tape...
Old 03-23-2013 | 09:13 PM
Instructor

I'll have to take a picture in day light and upload it later to show you guys what's going on with it. Certainly not kidding though about the spoiler coming up considerably though. I did think at the very least that there were screws or fasteners that would anchor the ends of the spoiler down but there is not. There is so much play in the spoiler that it's crazy. I'm certain that the potential is there for the spoiler to come up all together. I could probably walk outside and yank with moderate pressure on the other side that is slightly more fastened and the whole thing would come off. As it sits now, I can lift up the left side of the spoiler, see the fastener that has no anchoring mechanism, and lift up about a quarter to a third of the spoiler off the trunk lid. I'm allowing my wife to bring it to work since she doesn't drive on the highway and it's literally a few miles down the road. I on the other hand refuse to bring it on the highway and chance it coming off completely. Hopefully I can show you guys tomorrow what I'm talking about.
Old 03-24-2013 | 09:29 AM
Instructor

The non- hybrid spoiler is much bigger and heavier that the Hybrid spoiler. I installed the Hybrid spoiler months ago with the double sided tape with great results! (Did not want to Swiss cheese the trunk deck) Ironically , this spoiler is factory installed on the hybrids with about 7 bolts! I was amazed the other NH spoiler has fewer connection points! Can't say I'm a fan of the dealer installed spoiler due to it's look and size. It could be warping just enough to lift the tape. Either way its something your dealer should fix.
Old 04-21-2013 | 01:04 AM
3rd Gear

I just installed my trunk lid spoiler earlier and it seems pretty flush and secure. The clips on the sides actually secures it more in addition to the adhesives. It might be the dealer made a bigger hole than the 9mm hole that the instruction says?
Old 05-22-2014 | 09:23 AM
3rd Gear

I am having issues with the dealership that installed my trunk lip spoiler. I notice large gaps all over the spoiler. Especially, right above the Acura symbol. Can anyone take pictures of their rear trunk lip spoiler, so I have proof that they did a bad install.

They are telling me that the trunk lip spoiler is suppose to have those gaps and what not.

I need a picture as soon as possible since I am suppose to see them today.
Old 05-22-2014 | 10:10 AM
Meat Popsicle

Originally Posted by Maksta
I need a picture as soon as possible since I am suppose to see them today.
Just show up a little early and walk onto the lot and find one with a spoiler - maybe in the showroonm or parked in front. They always seem to have some with the bolt-ons already installed.

Last edited by lilfeat; 05-22-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-22-2014 | 10:16 AM
3rd Gear

The problem is that I have already bought it and the problem came from them installing it. I've been trying to figure out if the trunk deck spoiler is suppose to have that gap or not. I forgot to take pictures of the issue, otherwise I would post it.

They have had my car for a week now trying to figure out the issue and I want to bring in some proof from other ilx that the spoiler isn't suppose to be like that. But if it is, then I will just suck it up and try to fix it another way.

I went onto a few Acura lots looking for the car that had the bolt-on already installed, but I found nothing. So I negotiated for them to add it with the out the door price.

Thanks for the reply though, lilfeat.