AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   ILX (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/)
-   -   Project ILX Type-S (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/project-ilx-type-s-865843/)

usdmJON 06-25-2013 05:03 PM

Uninsured motorists are a biiiiitch. Only thing you can do with them is sue.

spdandpwr 07-02-2013 12:18 PM

Got a quote for the car. 687 to replace the bumper and respray. And, another 250 to respray the front bumper. It's being done by a collision shop so I'm hoping they do a stellar job or else I'm suing for diminished value.

neveronlineilx 07-02-2013 03:57 PM

I hope they know what they are doing with your front bumper, most shops cut corners and front bumpers chip a lot easier when time and car is not used. There is no paint like OEM paint. It may be thin and chip and leave a lot to be desired but aftermarket paintjobs usually dont withstand the test of time and abuse the way OEM paint jobs do

Good Luck spdandpwr!

spdandpwr 07-02-2013 04:22 PM

ugh, so I went to a car dealer to see if trading in the car with the insurance check was better so they can work under the table and recondition the car rather than me turn in the car at the end of the lease term with a bad carfax. They offered 19.5k...

Can anyone do me a favor and check what this car would be worth if I were to flip it to a dealer. The cars is over a year old and KBB still doesn't list values....

aksilx 07-02-2013 04:30 PM

Most dealers will pay wholesale price only. 20k sounds about right.

Why not just fix it under the table so it wont show up on car fax?

spdandpwr 07-02-2013 05:45 PM

I want to try out my options. If I can get rid of the car and not have to worry about repair or devaluation, I'd rather do that over being stuck in a car and having to respray the bumper every year. I'm going to have to pay for the damage one way or another :(

spdandpwr 07-02-2013 05:46 PM

I'll see if I can squeeze 21000 out of them

aksilx 07-02-2013 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by spdandpwr (Post 14560264)
I want to try out my options. If I can get rid of the car and not have to worry about repair or devaluation, I'd rather do that over being stuck in a car and having to respray the bumper every year. I'm going to have to pay for the damage one way or another :(

Take it to a reputable shop, fix it up cash. Like it never happened....

neveronlineilx 07-02-2013 09:18 PM

^ truth

What's your payoff? Try taking it to carmax and see what they offer, that will be the best bet. Usually you can even talk the dealer into matching their offer.

Good luck!

spdandpwr 07-03-2013 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by aksilx (Post 14560354)
Take it to a reputable shop, fix it up cash. Like it never happened....

The only shops that were willing to fly under the radar didn't guarantee use of oem parts and I didn't trust their paint matching abilities. Sucks that I don't have any solid connections. The black pearl is a tough color to match and it just goes to show how hard it is to make a car pristine after it has been nicked. :(

aksilx 07-03-2013 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by spdandpwr (Post 14561522)
The only shops that were willing to fly under the radar didn't guarantee use of oem parts and I didn't trust their paint matching abilities. Sucks that I don't have any solid connections. The black pearl is a tough color to match and it just goes to show how hard it is to make a car pristine after it has been nicked. :(

Honda NH731P crystal black paint has been around for a long time. Most reputable shops can match the paint without any issues provided they actually put in the time and effort.

aksilx 07-03-2013 02:17 PM

hey spdandpwr, I took a look at the pics on the previous page of the damage, and to me thats a easy job. I`m confident you will not need to replace the rear bumper. I can get that repaired looking brand new locally for around $500.

spdandpwr 07-04-2013 11:43 AM

Looks like these new Acuras are depreciating faster than the lease values had anticipated. Watch this, I went to the Acura dealer and they said an RDX, in the same condition as my current car (good by kbb standards), would fetch 28k tops and that's with a tech package.

The told me that my Acura would get 21k if they were to buy it -- which I guess is fair, but when my buyout is 19k at the end of the lease term, it means that when I handover the keys with 30k miles, this car will be worth less than the dealer buyout.

I'm kinda screwed at end of lease term if I don't buy this car because I'll have to pay for 15k over miles (lol, I didn't think I'd be driving so much). Looks like keeping this car is the only option.

BattleofXs 07-05-2013 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by spdandpwr (Post 14549017)
I got all their info on the police report. But, when following up with their "insurance" for the claim, the company had no record of them being insured under them. Upon further investigation, the company called the family who owned the car about their insurance and they refuse to provide any information and want to file harassment against the insurance company. Worse still is that New York doesn't have uninsured motorist coverage, so I have to pay a deductible. Fortunately, the fact that I didn't hit the other guy (as per police report) means I won't be paying a higher premium.

So, assuming this person is, in fact, uninsured means I basically will lose my deductible (which is 500) and have no guarantee of when, if every I'll get it back.

Sometimes you can get your insurance company to waive the deductible if the accident isn't your fault, they can get their deductible back through subrogation of the guilty party.

Good luck suing for diminished value, there are hundreds of instances where these cases are lost as opposed to the cases won.

spdandpwr 07-05-2013 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by BattleofXs (Post 14564178)
Sometimes you can get your insurance company to waive the deductible if the accident isn't your fault, they can get their deductible back through subrogation of the guilty party.

Good luck suing for diminished value, there are hundreds of instances where these cases are lost as opposed to the cases won.

Yea, I'm not sure why it's so hard to get diminshed value claim. Cars are clearly worth less money when the carfax has got something on it. I can get a million car salesmen to attest to that. Anyway, once this mumbo jumbo is sorted, hfp suspension will be ordered.